PDA

View Full Version : A Chapter on from Rodman's book on his time in San Antonio and the 1995 NBA Playoffs

Lebron23
02-02-2014, 02:08 AM
http://www.halloffamememorabilia.com/images/products/p-158586-dennis-rodman-autographed-san-antonio-spurs-8x10-photo-rdm-dennisrodman8x10.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/NBASpurs/comments/16j8tx/a_chapter_from_dennis_rodmans_book_on_his_time_in/

Good Read. He was suspended by Gregg Popovich, and he just wanted to go to vegas during that time.

He was unhappy in San Antonio despite averaging over 18 rpg.

Trentknicks
02-02-2014, 02:11 AM
If that's from Born to be Bad then I loved that book, showed what a mental midget David Robinson was.

Lebron23
02-02-2014, 02:14 AM
If that's from Born to be Bad then I loved that book, showed what a mental midget David Robinson was.

That's why David started winning championships after the spurs drafted Tim Duncan.

He is not a great leader. Phil Jackson tamed rodman after he was traded to the Chicago Bulls.

ThePhantomCreep
02-02-2014, 02:15 AM
Rodman knew the Spurs weren't quite good enough to win a title so he bailed on them mentally and emotionally, much like LeBron in the 2010 EC Semis. The body language was obvious.

Rodman is an overrated, no-business-being-in-the-HOF d-bag. He rags on Robinson, but what team did he ever carry?

Lebron23
02-02-2014, 02:18 AM
Rodman knew the Spurs weren't quite good enough to win a title so he bailed on them mentally and emotionally, much like LeBron in the 2010 EC Semis. The body language was obvious.

Rodman is an overrated, no-business-being-in-the-HOF d-bag. He rags on Robinson, but what team did he ever carry?

Rodman is the greatest role player of all time. He's definitely top 100. he's a 5x NBA Champion, 7x rebounding champion, and 2x defensive Player of the year.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-02-2014, 02:19 AM

If David Robinson is a mental midget, then what is Rodman? :oldlol:

Trentknicks
02-02-2014, 02:22 AM
That's why David started winning championships after the spurs drafted Tim Duncan.

He is not a great leader. Phil Jackson tamed rodman after he was traded to the Chicago Bulls.
Tim Duncan was easily won of the best players in the league for all of his championships with Robinson. If it's the exact same chapter, it goes on to show how Robinson complained to Spurs management about wanting to double Hakeem or have Rodman guard him instead.

ripthekik
02-02-2014, 02:26 AM

Same reason lebron started winning rings after joining Wade. Another mental midget like robinson.

97 bulls
02-02-2014, 02:27 AM
Tim Duncan was easily won of the best players in the league for all of his championships with Robinson. If it's the exact same chapter, it goes on to show how Robinson complained to Spurs management about wanting to double Hakeem or have Rodman guard him instead.

Robinson complained to Spurs management about wanting to double Hakeem or have Rodman guard him instead.

Wow. If Robinson really said that, then hes a straight whore

chocolatethunder
02-02-2014, 02:33 AM
David Robinson would shit on today's league. He shit on the league back in his day. Totally underrated because Dream shook him. Robinson was a beast. He was a ***** sometimes but he was monster too. Dude was a beast. Rodman is an overrated jerk. He was awesome but he was a headache.

Kblaze8855
02-02-2014, 02:36 AM
Well...one thing is obvious to anyone who remembers the 95 playoffs....the defense they used was absurd and Horry killed them for it.

Dennis is a dick but he knows what it takes to win. I dont buy for a second that its just by chance that all 3 teams he was on in/near his prime won a franchise record number of games.

Dude was pulling down 11 offensive rebounds in 4 point finals wins, living in Karl Malones head even when he had good games, guarding MJ, Bird, Magic, and Worthy and generally out hustling everyone on the floor.

If you cant win with Rodman you are probably soft. It took strong personalities...Isiahs...Chuck Daly...Jordan/Phil...

David Robinson was not the one to pair with Rodman.

I bet Rodman and Ewing would have been dominant. Just a couple assholes who would have hated eachother and won anyway.

ThePhantomCreep
02-02-2014, 02:39 AM
Can't stand Rodman either. Dude acted like the big champion with his 5 ppg averages. Dumped on players far greater than himself when he had no business doing so.

AintNoSunshine
02-02-2014, 02:39 AM
Seeing how Dennis can't even speak a coherent sentence properly let alone write, I wonder how this book came about...

Trentknicks
02-02-2014, 02:46 AM
T I dont buy for a second that its just by chance that all 3 teams he was on in/near his prime won a franchise record number of games.

Dude was pulling down 11 offensive rebounds in 4 point finals wins, living in Karl Malones head even when he had good games, guarding MJ, Bird, Magic, and Worthy and generally out hustling everyone on the floor.

If you cant win with Rodman you are probably soft. It took strong personalities...Isiahs...Chuck Daly...Jordan/Phil...

David Robinson was not the one to pair with Rodman.

I bet Rodman and Ewing would have been dominant. Just a couple assholes who would have hated eachother and won anyway.
This is quite literally exactly what he was saying in the book. He first cited the duels that the Bulls and Pistons would have in the late 80s & early 90s. He said the Pistons knew Jordan was going to kill them, so they would let him have his, and shut everyone else down.

Sam thing in San Antonio, he said they should play man to man, straight up defense. Olajuwon was going to get his, but Rodman said let that happen, and focus on shutting down the shooters and making sure everyone else stayed cold. No one can win with everyone else missing.

Apparently the first couple of losses they doubled and played the way Robinson wanted them to play, then switched it to straight up man on man and won the next 2 games. Then for some reason went back to the previous and lost the last 2. Rodman expressed how pissed off he was in the book about the last 2 losses because he felt they could have won the series and beaten the Magic.

Most people will hate on him and call BS but i'd take the opinion of someone who was actually there, over a keyboard warrior who was probably a toddler when the series was played.

HarryCallahan
02-02-2014, 02:50 AM
What's up with OP's obsession with the Spurs? 4 threads on the first page that OP started trying to badmouth (in one way or another) the greatest organisation in the history of pro sports.

God-damn defensive as hell. OP is clearly mad that LeBitch had to take a pay cut and sign with a former fmvp and a perennial all-star and then get great aging players to accept huge pay cuts and diminished roles in order to win a championship, while the Spurs do it all through hard work.

Duncan is a better man and player than LeCvnt could ever dream of being.

Lebron23
02-02-2014, 02:59 AM
I am not hating on the Spurs.

Audio One
02-02-2014, 02:59 AM

:applause:

It's my opinion that he pulled a James' of sorts in those '95 WCF's, quitting on The Admiral, at least partly due to his abhorrence of Robinson's bible-chasing ways. Hakeem actually did most of his damage against Rodman during those '95 WCF's, and for sure during the 2nd 3-peat, he never really locked down any of the bigs he faced, just got in their head a little bit. He's a massively overrated defensive player who frequently didn't contest shots because he wanted that extra second or so to get in position for another rebound. Kevin Love does the same shit. Stay in front, rarely contest (or contest weakly), get the rebound.

A mentally weak escapist, and just a glorified Reggie Evans, although he has somewhat of a decent case, he really doesn't belong in the HOF imo. He better be waking up night & day thanking Isiah Thomas, because without him = no HOF for Madonna's lover :no:

AintNoSunshine
02-02-2014, 03:07 AM
Very interesting read. If everything in there was true then Robinson is one giant puzzy... I know this is probably only one side of a story tho.

HarryCallahan
02-02-2014, 03:25 AM
I am not hating on the Spurs.

Oh it's just a coincidence you make this thread, the Duncan vs Bran thread and the "this is gonna be you league thread" as well as bump the Derozen vs Leonard thread all in one day?

4 threads that have an unfavourable disposition towards the spurs in one day? Yeah, you hatin'.

reppy
02-02-2014, 03:39 AM
Dennis Rodman has this entitled I'm a special little snowflake and you need to let me do whatever I want without ramifications attitude. I don't care for it. I'm not taking away from his accomplishments, but he pretty much says "you need to treat me special and let me do my thing or else I'll just stink shit up for you."

The latter part, when he discussed strategy, was interesting.

sportjames23
02-02-2014, 03:50 AM
What's up with OP's obsession with the Spurs? 4 threads on the first page that OP started trying to badmouth (in one way or another) the greatest organisation in the history of pro sports.

God-damn defensive as hell. OP is clearly mad that LeBitch had to take a pay cut and sign with a former fmvp and a perennial all-star and then get great aging players to accept huge pay cuts and diminished roles in order to win a championship, while the Spurs do it all through hard work.

Duncan is a better man and player than LeCvnt could ever dream of being.

Really? They're not even the greatest organization in the history of their own sport, let alone all of sports.

houston
02-02-2014, 04:38 AM
interesting stuff

Droid101
02-02-2014, 05:01 AM
Hakeem actually did most of his damage against Rodman during those '95 WCF's,
Straight up lie. Easy to tell when someone didn't watch the games.

Droid101
02-02-2014, 05:03 AM
You know what? **** you all. Rodman has a case for being the most influential player of all time. All time draft? Pick him first and win every time. Get educated you ****s.

http://skepticalsports.com/?p=112

TheMarkMadsen
02-02-2014, 05:28 AM
OP love dat worm

JellyBean
02-02-2014, 05:54 AM

:facepalm Calling Rodman overrated is a bit much considering he outplayed a lot of people in the game.Rodman took his special talent of rebounding and knowledge of the triangle offense to a different level. Rodman found his purpose in the NBA and developed that purpose. He deserves to be in the HOF.

Fresh Kid
02-02-2014, 06:02 AM
If David Robinson is a mental midget, then what is Rodman? :oldlol:
a niguh wit rebound titles and 5 rings:confusedshrug:

Artillery
02-02-2014, 07:45 AM
What I got from those excerpts is that Rodman's an egotistical asshole, Bob Hill's a terrible coach, and DRob's a choke artist. Nothing I didn't know already.

Strange that Rodman wants to paint himself in a positive light with those claims though. Wants to fly to Vegas to party in between playoff games. Refuses to listen to coaches orders. The entitlement from Dennis here is a bit ridiculous, as if he deserves special treatment above anyone else.

It also goes without saying that Bob Hill is a shitty coach. Pop already seemed like he was running things back then. He probably should have been coaching instead.

Robinson always did seem to disappoint in the post-season(although he'd probably be dominant in today's NBA with the current rules). I remember Duncan's rookie season in '98, they played the Jazz in conference semis. They lost game 1 by one point. Being an away game, it would have been huge if they stole homecourt. TD had like 33/10 on 60% that night. Robinson had 16 pts on 29%. If Robinson played just a little better they might have taken that game. DRob also shot 30% in the final two games of that series. Never did seem very clutch to me.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-02-2014, 11:33 AM
a niguh wit rebound titles and 5 rings:confusedshrug:

Yeah, except, David Robinson also has rings and was a better player than this "niguh" ever was. David Robinson wasn't a glorified role player, that's for sure.

Fresh Kid
02-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Yeah, except, David Robinson also has rings and was a better player than this "niguh" ever was. David Robinson wasn't a glorified role player, that's for sure.
I know man, I was just having sum fun:D :oldlol:

Darius
02-02-2014, 11:50 AM
The guy was a very talented moron.

brownmamba00
02-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Those guys in San Antonio can kiss my ass, especially Gregg Popovich. He pulled a bunch of bullshit on me every step of the way. He wanted to "tame" me, then when he found out I wasn't his puppy dog, he set out to do whatever he could to drag my name through the mud in the NBA. And what did it get him? It got him Will Perdue, that's what. Maybe if he had been a little smarter and kept his mouth shut, he could have gotten something better.
The sad part is, they may have actually believed they were going to be better with Will Perdue. They said he fit in better with the team - in their minds - because he's more of a family man. He doesn't go out and do the things I did. He'll do what they want him to do, when they tell him to do it, and that's what they want down there in that white-ass, conservative-ass city.

:oldlol: rodman is the man

RichieW
02-02-2014, 01:15 PM
This is actually fascinating and I suspect the Rodman years massively shaped how the Spurs have built their team over the past 20 years.

Seems to me like Rodman proved to Pop in '95 that a players activities off the court are as important as their play on the court. That sounds like the kind of team Pop has put together, full of players who know their roles and play to their strengths. The antithesis of Rodman.

ThePhantomCreep
02-02-2014, 03:12 PM
You know what? **** you all. Rodman has a case for being the most influential player of all time. All time draft? Pick him first and win every time. Get educated you ****s.

http://skepticalsports.com/?p=112

Sarcasm?

No one with Ben Walkace-level offense can make such a case.

He knew his role and played it well...when the teams were good enough (good luck if you're uncool like the mid-90's Spurs though; Rodman will tune you out and write a book about it).

Hakeem demanded far more double teams than he received in that series. It was idiotic coaching. Yes, they won one of the games where Dream dropped 40+, but overall it was an unsound strategy.