PDA

View Full Version : GM: I'd Take Tyler Ennis Over Kyrie Irving Right Now

Illuminati
02-04-2014, 01:42 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Ennis_Tyler_ncaa_140202.jpg

Tyler Ennis has had an excellent freshman season for undefeated Syracuse, showing great instincts as a scorer and point guard.

"If you were to ask me right now whether I'd take Ennis over Kyrie Irving, I think it's Ennis," one GM said. "He does all the things that help a basketball team win basketball games. You can pick him apart on individual flaws, but I would take this kid right now and trust him to run my team. I think there's very few freshmen you could ever say that about."

Ennis is averaging 12.1 points, 5.7 assists, 3.3 rebounds and 2.3 steals per game.

:oldlol:

navy
02-04-2014, 01:43 PM
When is Kyrie going to the Heat?

Milbuck
02-04-2014, 01:44 PM
He's going wherever Bran goes. So just trade him to OKC already.

Twiens
02-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Is he wrong? Ennis already has a waaay better bball IQ

AnaheimLakers24
02-04-2014, 01:46 PM
He's going wherever Bran goes. So just trade him to OKC already.
:lol

KyrieTheFuture
02-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Billy King is that you?

Seriously as a Syracuse and Cleveland fan, this might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Edit: Where is this source?

moe94
02-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Is he wrong? Ennis already has a waaay better bball IQ

What does that even mean? That he's a willing passer? :oldlol:

Bob Dole
02-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Quotes like this is why I lol when people say "but this GM said", "but this player said", "do you think you know more than they do".

Why a matter of fact yes I freaking do.

Tyler Ennis will never ever make an all star team no matter if he plays in the league for 100 years. He is a freaking average pg on the next level, like george hill average.

He's supposed to be better than Kyrie? Please die.

Qwyjibo
02-04-2014, 02:53 PM
When it's possible. In 2019.

ZenMaster
02-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Quotes like this is why I lol when people say "but this GM said", "but this player said", "do you think you know more than they do".

Why a matter of fact yes I freaking do.

Tyler Ennis will never ever make an all star team no matter if he plays in the league for 100 years. He is a freaking average pg on the next level, like george hill average.

He's supposed to be better than Kyrie? Please die.

The GM in the quote doesn't talk about all star teams, he talks about helping a team win.

Irving should be going to the all star game in full uncle drew gear because that's why he's there.

Qwyjibo
02-04-2014, 03:01 PM
I really hope it's not Ujiri saying this. My condolences to the fans of whatever team this GM runs.

Bob Dole
02-04-2014, 03:19 PM
The GM in the quote doesn't talk about all star teams, he talks about helping a team win.

Irving should be going to the all star game in full uncle drew gear because that's why he's there.

let me help you out then you idiot. Kyrie Irving was better at basketball and impact on a team his senior year of high school than tyler Ennis will ever be in his life. All star teams are just a proxy for how good someone is as a basketball player. You dummies saying Kyrie is having a horrible year and yet saying people like John Wall is having a great year when it can easily be argued that Kyries is better.

Tyler Ennis is a solid player, that is it. Do not give him all the credit for how good this team is because that would be a lie. Its like you *******s who thing Tony Parker is better than Chris Paul because of ringzzzzz.

It just shows me that you know nothing about basketball. Think of bball comparisons as a science experiment where you must remove all other variables except for the two players to determine who is better. Stop using team stuff and if you do its pretty easy to see impact if you know basketball, which you don't.

And stop talking about that that Uncle Drew Crap. He got that deal because he is a very good, exciting player, not he is a very good and exciting player because of Uncle Drew.

Burgz V2
02-04-2014, 04:09 PM
too bad that zone hides the fact he could never dream of guarding Kyrie at the next level. I'm never sold on guards that come out of Syracuse.

He's a great playmaker and has the potential to be one of the best true PGs in the league, but unless we see him play some real defence, how could a GM possibly say this?

I really hope it's not Ujiri saying this. My condolences to the fans of whatever team this GM runs.

exactly this.

These type of articles dominate Jan-March during the conference schedule. I've heard of 4 different consensus no. 1s for this year's draft. Wiggins at the beginning of the season, Randle when he had that fast start to the non-conference season especially after the game against MSU. Then it was Parker after SAS wouldn't shut up about him during pretty much all of November, and now it's Embiid turn.

The win over Duke and their (supposedly) tough backcourt has propelled Ennis into the lottery discussion. As a Toronto native I hope he does go in the lottery, but I hope to god and everything else that is sacred that we are not one of those teams willing to trade pieces to move and grab him early. He should stay another year tbh.

If it is Ujiri, then it must be smoke and mirrors, because he has more sense then that.

Eric Cartman
02-04-2014, 04:16 PM
The Michael Carter Williams effect.

ZenMaster
02-04-2014, 04:18 PM
let me help you out then you idiot. Kyrie Irving was better at basketball and impact on a team his senior year of high school than tyler Ennis will ever be in his life. All star teams are just a proxy for how good someone is as a basketball player. You dummies saying Kyrie is having a horrible year and yet saying people like John Wall is having a great year when it can easily be argued that Kyries is better.

Tyler Ennis is a solid player, that is it. Do not give him all the credit for how good this team is because that would be a lie. Its like you *******s who thing Tony Parker is better than Chris Paul because of ringzzzzz.

It just shows me that you know nothing about basketball. Think of bball comparisons as a science experiment where you must remove all other variables except for the two players to determine who is better. Stop using team stuff and if you do its pretty easy to see impact if you know basketball, which you don't.

And stop talking about that that Uncle Drew Crap. He got that deal because he is a very good, exciting player, not he is a very good and exciting player because of Uncle Drew.

It's is you who doesn't read the quote right. He doesn't say Ennis is better right now, just that he'd rather have him as a player. A GM evaluation a player it's always player skills/production vs salary. When there's a salary cap anything a player does is relative to his salary.
Kyrie will be demanding a max contract but is one of the worst defensive players on his team who's not very good at defending overall.
You talk about John Wall but he plays on both sides of the floor and his team is winning like people where expecting Cleveland to. You could never tell me Irving is having a better year than Wall because he simply isn't.

It's not just about getting the drew deal vs not getting it. They've been very popular with the young NBA crowd especially, not all TV campaigns/viral videos are equally good and get the same amount of popularity, but these commercials where well liked by mostly everybody.

All star selections are made by fan voting, from what you're saying it means I should base my opinion on players from these selections even though a huge amoung of them come from kids age 12-18. Thanks but no thanks.

Bob Dole
02-04-2014, 04:37 PM
It's is you who doesn't read the quote right. He doesn't say Ennis is better right now, just that he'd rather have him as a player. A GM evaluation a player it's always player skills/production vs salary. When there's a salary cap anything a player does is relative to his salary.
Kyrie will be demanding a max contract but is one of the worst defensive players on his team who's not very good at defending overall.
You talk about John Wall but he plays on both sides of the floor and his team is winning like people where expecting Cleveland to. You could never tell me Irving is having a better year than Wall because he simply isn't.

It's not just about getting the drew deal vs not getting it. They've been very popular with the young NBA crowd especially, not all TV campaigns/viral videos are equally good and get the same amount of popularity, but these commercials where well liked by mostly everybody.

All star selections are made by fan voting, from what you're saying it means I should base my opinion on players from these selections even though a huge amoung of them come from kids age 12-18. Thanks but no thanks.

aye punk, he was voted by the coaches last year and would have been voted in this year as well. You literrally sound like an ESPN commentator. That is why I hate you. You cannot think for yourself. Everyone loves kyrie last year, "he's the best ever" everyone hates him this year "he sucks". Stop talking to me because you dont understand jack shat about basketball.

And Kyrie will be demanding a max contract because he can you idiot. Something Ennis will never be able to do. And let me let your stupid self in on a little something, pg defense is one of the most overrated things ever. No pointgaurd is staying infront of any of the others and it impact overall team defense very little in comparison to other aspects. I guess steve nash defense was the reason the suns never made the finals either. now die.

aj1987
02-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Dude literally plays 0 defense. Don't want him on the Heat unless he's coming off the bench.

ZenMaster
02-04-2014, 05:10 PM
aye punk, he was voted by the coaches last year and would have been voted in this year as well. You literrally sound like an ESPN commentator. That is why I hate you. You cannot think for yourself. Everyone loves kyrie last year, "he's the best ever" everyone hates him this year "he sucks". Stop talking to me because you dont understand jack shat about basketball.

And Kyrie will be demanding a max contract because he can you idiot. Something Ennis will never be able to do. And let me let your stupid self in on a little something, pg defense is one of the most overrated things ever. No pointgaurd is staying infront of any of the others and it impact overall team defense very little in comparison to other aspects. I guess steve nash defense was the reason the suns never made the finals either. now die.

I never talked in the highs you speak of Irving, not last year and not this year. I shouldn't be hold accountable for other peoples opinions..

And it's not that he "sucks" per se, just that his play relative to his max contract is not a good deal for a team who's main concern is winning a championship.

Kyrie can and will get a max contract, unfortunately for the cavs a lot of those money are because he's very popular. Cavs would be better off had he had a Rondo type arc to his development.

John Wall makes a big difference on defense despite "overall pg defense not mattering much" according to you.

Your reasoning of "it's hard to play d on point guards because of the rules, so it's not important" is very flawed and I hope not a concept you put to use in other parts of life.

Bob Dole
02-04-2014, 05:13 PM
I never talked in the highs you speak of Irving, not last year and not this year. I shouldn't be hold accountable for other peoples opinions..

And it's not that he "sucks" per se, just that his play relative to his max contract is not a good deal for a team who's main concern is winning a championship.

Kyrie can and will get a max contract, unfortunately for the cavs a lot of those money are because he's very popular. Cavs would be better off had he had a Rondo type arc to his development.

John Wall makes a big difference on defense despite "overall pg defense not mattering much" according to you.

Your reasoning of "it's hard to play d on point guards because of the rules, so it's not important" is very flawed and I hope not a concept you put to use in other parts of life.

You literally used strawmen all through that argument. I'm done with your dumb azz.

now die

ZenMaster
02-04-2014, 05:18 PM
You literally used strawmen all through that argument. I'm done with your dumb azz.

now die

I'm just talking basketball, sorry you can't handle it.

Bob Dole
02-04-2014, 05:20 PM
I'm just talking basketball, sorry you can't handle it.

freak off loser, i said stop talking to me. And know i cant handle speaking on basketball with imbeciles.

MP.Trey
02-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Not even going to comment on the thread title/OP considering how ridiculous it is.

Dude literally plays 0 defense. Don't want him on the Heat unless he's coming off the bench.
0's a bit of a stretch, if you have watched the Cavs at all this season you know it's not that bad.

He plays about 20 defense, if we were to rank it out of 100. He has quarters and games where he looks extra motivated on D, plays the passing lanes well and stays in front of his man no problem. It's the 80% of the time that he doesn't play defense that we should worry about.

He has all the physical tools to be a good defender, just not the ambition and the defense comes in bunches.

navy
02-04-2014, 05:38 PM
He has all the physical tools to be a good defender, just not the ambition and the defense comes in bunches.
He's slow and small with minimal reach. He has bad defender written all over him. There are very few teams with two elite guards. Find a way to hide him.

ZenMaster
02-04-2014, 05:39 PM
freak off loser, i said stop talking to me. And know i cant handle speaking on basketball with imbeciles.

:cry:

BrownEye007
02-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Kyrie: 21.7 pts, 3.1 rebounds, 6.2 assists,1.2 steals, .4 blocks, 2.6 to, on 42.7 fg% and and 36.2 3pt%
John Wall: 19.8 pts, 4.4 rebounds, 8.5 assists, 2 steals, .5 blocks, 3.5 to, on 42.3 fg%, and 32.5 3pt%
They play similar minutes and Walls stats aren't much better than Irvings. The Wizards record is better but Kyrie has to play in Cleveland so I don't think its fair to even hold that against him. Oh and Wall has been in the league longer. If he's better than Kyrie it isn't by much.

MP.Trey
02-04-2014, 05:52 PM
He's slow and small with minimal reach. He has bad defender written all over him. There are very few teams with two elite guards. Find a way to hide him.
I wouldn't say Kyrie is slow, that's your opinion from watching him play but I see tons of speed/quickness in him myself, I think you're underrating him there. Small isn't really a big deal when you're a PG, only certain matchups then will bother you and you can scheme/gameplan for that. Not to mention he has good anticipation on the defensive boards/in the passing lanes and can even get ya some blocks here and there (had a 4 block game earlier this year).

From what I've seen (60+ games at the very least). I see the ability to be an average to good defender but the mindset to be a lousy to average defender.

Dion's probably a worse defender and even worse with the attitude/mindstate. Jack's no good either. We're just don't have a lot of defense on the perimeter. Or anywhere for that matter.

Bob Dole
02-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Kyrie: 21.7 pts, 3.1 rebounds, 6.2 assists,1.2 steals, .4 blocks, 2.6 to, on 42.7 fg% and and 36.2 3pt%
John Wall: 19.8 pts, 4.4 rebounds, 8.5 assists, 2 steals, .5 blocks, 3.5 to, on 42.3 fg%, and 32.5 3pt%
They play similar minutes and Walls stats aren't much better than Irvings. The Wizards record is better but Kyrie has to play in Cleveland so I don't think its fair to even hold that against him. Oh and Wall has been in the league longer. If he's better than Kyrie it isn't by much.

Exactly. thank you brown eye dude.:cheers:

pezt
02-04-2014, 05:58 PM
I only saw the highlights against Duke of Tyler Ennis, but he looked slow as hell there. Don't know how he's supposed to keep up with the athletes of the NBA.

BigMacAttack
02-04-2014, 06:16 PM

now die

Do you have brain damage or something?

BigMacAttack
02-04-2014, 06:21 PM

****ing box score warriors :facepalm.

Kyrie plays no D what so ever. Wall has better D, better vision, better passing, better athleticism and none of that is debatable. Oh but the box score says they are pretty similar lol.

BrownEye007
02-04-2014, 06:29 PM

Kyrie plays no D what so ever. Wall has better D, better vision, better passing, better athleticism and none of that is debatable. Oh but the box score says they are pretty similar lol.
Ok and kyrie is much better at scoring and ball handling. That isn't debatable; however, John Wall having better court vision is. The Cavs are extremely inconsistent as a team but when they're playing well and Kyrie is passing he looks like a very capable passer. Wall will always be better defensively but Kyrie is going to end up much better than him offensively.

navy
02-04-2014, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't say Kyrie is slow, that's your opinion from watching him play but I see tons of speed/quickness in him myself, I think you're underrating him there. Small isn't really a big deal when you're a PG, only certain matchups then will bother you and you can scheme/gameplan for that. Not to mention he has good anticipation on the defensive boards/in the passing lanes and can even get ya some blocks here and there (had a 4 block game earlier this year).

From what I've seen (60+ games at the very least). I see the ability to be an average to good defender but the mindset to be a lousy to average defender.

Dion's probably a worse defender and even worse with the attitude/mindstate. Jack's no good either. We're just don't have a lot of defense on the perimeter. Or anywhere for that matter.

He's crafty with the ball and has insane offensive instincts when it comes to maneuvering around the court, however he is slow. He isnt Andre miller slow, he just isnt quick laterally. The best defenders in the NBA are good defenders because of their physical attributes. That is just how it is.

Defense is also about effort. He can improve there. As long as he is hustling nobody can say anything bad about him.

Find good defenders to surround Kyrie. Steph Curry cant guard anyone and the GS warriors are the second best defense in the league (fg%)

Bob Dole
02-04-2014, 06:32 PM

Confirmed idiot. Prime Kevin garnett has better jumpshot, defense, ball handling, athleticism than prime shaq. Guess he's better.

Not Serious.

Learn the game. Being better at more things doesn't make you better idiot.

BigMacAttack
02-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Ok and kyrie is much better at scoring and ball handling. That isn't debatable; however, John Wall having better court vision is. The Cavs are extremely inconsistent as a team but when they're playing well and Kyrie is passing he looks like a very capable passer. Wall will always be better defensively but Kyrie is going to end up much better than him offensively.

He is better scorer and ballhandler, but to say he will end um much better offensively then Wall is ridiculous. Inefficient 1 v 5 scoring from your PG is not good offense.

Fresh Kid
02-04-2014, 06:39 PM
wait til tha young whipper snapper get drafted first:facepalm

G-Funk
02-04-2014, 06:42 PM
"If you were to ask me right now whether I'd take Ennis over Kyrie Irving, I think it's Ennis," one GM said.

-Chris Grant, Cavs GM

BigMacAttack
02-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Confirmed idiot. Prime Kevin garnett has better jumpshot, defense, ball handling, athleticism than prime shaq. Guess he's better.

Not Serious.

Learn the game. Being better at more things doesn't make you better idiot.

Using Shaq as an example is ridiculous, one of the most dominant forces the game has seen and the two play different positions ****ing moron. Kyrie has no aspect of his game that he can use to dominate like Shaqs size strenght and skill.

Seriosuly what argument do u have right now for Kyrie>Wall other then his sick handles?

MannyO
02-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Ive seen Tyler Ennis play a few times this season, and boy I was not blown away at all. The announcers will go CRAZY when he made a bounce pass in transition for an easy dunk. Well, thats what a PG is supposed to do. I just think he is average. No way he's better than Kyrie, just no way.

BrownEye007
02-04-2014, 06:45 PM
He is better scorer and ballhandler, but to say he will end um much better offensively then Wall is ridiculous. Inefficient 1 v 5 scoring from your PG is not good offense.
I should have said he has the talent to end up much better than Wall offensively and I believe he will. You are right that it isn't gonna happen if he keeps playing 1 on 5 but I bet that stops happening all the time if he's playing on a good team with a good coach.

BigMacAttack
02-04-2014, 06:49 PM
I should have said he has the talent to end up much better than Wall offensively and I believe he will. You are right that it isn't gonna happen if he keeps playing 1 on 5 but I bet that stops happening all the time if he's playing on a good team with a good coach.

I wont argue that, and hiring Brown to coach the Cavs has to be one of the worst decisions ever.

BigMacAttack
02-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Look I dosagree with whatever GM said this(referring to OP) about Kyrie, I wouldnt take any college player over him(Embiid maybe) and I think he can become a top 5 player in this league one day but right now Wall>Kyrie.

RoseCity07
02-04-2014, 06:57 PM
And that GM would be fired.

Bob Dole
02-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Using Shaq as an example is ridiculous, one of the most dominant forces the game has seen and the two play different positions ****ing moron. Kyrie has no aspect of his game that he can use to dominate like Shaqs size strenght and skill.

Seriosuly what argument do u have right now for Kyrie>Wall other then his sick handles?

logic not even once :hammerhead:

There are 100 other examples where a player is better at multiple things but the other player is still better player. Larry Bird and MJ, charles barkley and grant hill. I could keep going on forever.

You argue like a stupid girl. No logic whatsoever. Go do your mom you Arkansas school system failure.

jdm_dc_fan
02-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Give me Wall over kyrie.

BigMacAttack
02-04-2014, 07:24 PM
logic not even once :hammerhead:

There are 100 other examples where a player is better at multiple things but the other player is still better player. Larry Bird and MJ, charles barkley and grant hill. I could keep going on forever.

You argue like a stupid girl. No logic whatsoever. Go do your mom you Arkansas school system failure.

Wall>Kyrie

Stats, impact, play, team record...you have no argument you dumb fvck.

The irony of that last line lol.

HurricaneKid
02-04-2014, 07:48 PM

And the Cavs are 7.5 points per 100poss worse defensively when Kyrie is on the floor. Saying he plays zero defense is probably kind. 7.5 is an insanely big number than almost no player could offset through their offensive play. And Kyrie isn't close. Which is why his +/- is among the worst in the league. Which is remarkable for a guy who is demanding max money AND demanding to go elsewhere. He has never led his team to a 35% winning % and is among the most injury prone 21 year olds ever.

He has a great skill set and could turn it around at any moment. But for now he doesn't get it and is insanely overrated.

alexthegr8
02-04-2014, 07:49 PM

If you include passing as a component of offense Kyrie and John will probably end up pretty to close each other in total offensive impact in their primes. And of course John is appreciably better defensively than Kyrie on and off the ball, he rebouds better than Kyrie, and he plays a style of game that appears to be more conducive to winning than Kyrie (he creates tons of scoring chances for his teammates throughout the game, something that keeps them involved on that end and happy in their roles which facilitates team unity). I'd take Wall over Irving a 100 times out of 100 tbh.

BigMacAttack
02-04-2014, 08:52 PM
If you include passing as a component of offense Kyrie and John will probably end up pretty to close each other in total offensive impact in their primes. And of course John is appreciably better defensively than Kyrie on and off the ball, he rebouds better than Kyrie, and he plays a style of game that appears to be more conducive to winning than Kyrie (he creates tons of scoring chances for his teammates throughout the game, something that keeps them involved on that end and happy in their roles which facilitates team unity). I'd take Wall over Irving a 100 times out of 100 tbh.

:applause:

MMM
02-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Prior to the season starting didn't most people have Cleveland where Washington is in the standing now and vice versa. Not gonna hate on Kyrie he is obviously in a tough situation but Wall deserves props on his play this season. I just wish people wouldn't be so negative vs. potential stars in the making. Maybe i'm overrating what media chatter does to them but seems like even super stars like Kobe/Bron have their play influenced by media heads.

El Gato Negro
02-05-2014, 10:49 AM
And that GM would be fired.
/thread