PDA

View Full Version : Why did no one complain about flopping until 2012?

JT123
02-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Players have been flopping in the NBA for about 20 years now. Everyone from Vlade, D Fisher, Rodman, even Stockton and Malone. We really gonna act like players only started flopping 3 years ago? :biggums:
In 2012 Lebron wins his first ring, and all of a sudden people have a problem with flopping. I wonder why. :coleman:

red1
02-04-2014, 05:16 PM
:facepalm

Crafty
02-04-2014, 05:17 PM
ringless joke couldn't be done anymore.

bdreason
02-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Players have always exaggerated contact to "sell" a foul. This new era of completely faking contact is ridiculous though.

JT123
02-04-2014, 05:20 PM
ringless joke couldn't be done anymore.
Bingo! :lol

KobesFinger
02-04-2014, 05:21 PM
Shows how long you've been watching the NBA. Ginobili, D-Fish, Scola and Vlade have been known as floppers since before 2012

QuebecBaller
02-04-2014, 05:21 PM
Players have always exaggerated contact to "sell" a foul. This new era of completely faking contact is ridiculous though.

:applause: :applause:

BigMacAttack
02-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Because it is becoming a lot worse, thats why the League is now fining these bums.

The so called best player in the league who is built like the love child of the terminator and a tank falls down like he has been shot after the smallest contact, its a joke.

Chris Paul walks near Boogie and then falls(acting like he was shoved) over to try and get him ejected, shit like that is cheaating flat out.

You are kidding yourself if you dont think its getting worse.

Milbuck
02-04-2014, 05:22 PM
:sleeping

Black and White
02-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Because its gotten this bad:

http://www.theunticket.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/219xycx.gif

Trollsmasher
02-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Because we have all those High FPS cameras installed around the league and even a regular contact and reaction can be slowed down enough to look like a flop

And LeBron, the best player in the league, looks absolutely awful on those, even when he gets legit hit

Black and White
02-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Because we have all those High FPS cameras installed around the league and even a regular contact and reaction can be slowed down enough to look like a flop

And LeBron, the best player in the league, looks absolutely awful on those, even when he gets legit hit

Lets not act like he doesn't regularly flop though

BigMacAttack
02-04-2014, 05:28 PM

:facepalm Disgraceful.

Miles and Miles
02-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Players have been flopping since the late 90s. Now though the rules just let them get away with it more. Not sure what the change is but they should make one.

jlip
02-04-2014, 05:30 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9477365&postcount=20

Black and White
02-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Look at how soft the league is:

http://sportsgif.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Chris-Paul-Flop-GIF.gif

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1199373/ohmybeard2.gif

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ofDBqO_cblU/UaNOn_pVxrI/AAAAAAAAHys/SVEa333lzTA/s640/Dwyane+Wade+flop+on+PAcers.gif

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/LBJFlop1.gif

JT123
02-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Shows how long you've been watching the NBA. Ginobili, D-Fish, Scola and Vlade have been known as floppers since before 2012
:facepalm Did you even read my post? I said that players have been flopping since the 90's. But now that Bron Bron is winning rings it is suddenly a HUGE problem. :rolleyes:

NumberSix
02-04-2014, 05:35 PM
LeBron is a known liar.

JT123
02-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Look at how soft the leauge is:

http://sportsgif.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Chris-Paul-Flop-GIF.gif

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1199373/ohmybeard2.gif

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ofDBqO_cblU/UaNOn_pVxrI/AAAAAAAAHys/SVEa333lzTA/s640/Dwyane+Wade+flop+on+PAcers.gif

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/LBJFlop1.gif
:sleeping Plenty of players did this during the 90's as well. There just weren't any social media sites for people to load the video evidence onto.

KobesFinger
02-04-2014, 05:38 PM
:facepalm Did you even read my post? I said that players have been flopping since the 90's. But now that Bron Bron is winning rings it is suddenly a HUGE problem. :rolleyes:

Because none of them were as good as LeBron and none won championships while doing it aside from D-Fish and Ginobili but neither were the best player on the team, let alone the world

buddha
02-04-2014, 05:41 PM

this, these new school floppers like LeBron flop when there is no contact at all. Can't compare them to people like Ginobili who would over sell contact (which is still a bad thing). If you are a fan of a flopper you are bitch-made.

Myth
02-04-2014, 05:41 PM
OP obviously started following NBA in 2012.

Mass Debator
02-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Technology and social media weren't as advanced

Black and White
02-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Here is a Dennis Rodman flop, tell me which one is worse:

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/d85JfHlxu74_zpdliumndQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD0zMDA7cT04NTt3PTQwMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/388/2013/05/30/flop7-gif_212413.gif

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/51a63f6569bedd374600000a/lebron-james-flop-pacers-2012.gif

Trollsmasher
02-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Lets not act like he doesn't regularly flop though
He does. But people call flops even on regular hits after they slow it down 10 times.

You could not do that in the 90s.

ispin69
02-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Not just social media, people didn't have live recordings of streams made that easily back then before 2005 or so. These days you can make a gif in a matter of a minute after the play and it would go viral off of twitter, basketball forums and short youtube clips. Youtube wasn't around before 2005.

Miles and Miles
02-04-2014, 06:00 PM
They should just fine/suspend people for flopping like the said they would.

JT123
02-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Because none of them were as good as LeBron and none won championships while doing it aside from D-Fish and Ginobili but neither were the best player on the team, let alone the world
What does it matter how good a player is? :biggums:
A flop is a flop! Saying that it is more okay for a role player to flop than a star literally makes zero sense. It it's bad for the goose, it's bad for the gander.

JT123
02-04-2014, 06:06 PM
They should just fine/suspend people for flopping like the said they would.
You wouldn't last long as an NBA commish. :lol
You really think the league is going to suspend their best players (aka the people who line Silver's pockets) just because they tried to fool a ref? Are you going to explain to a fan in Oakland who payed hundreds of dollars to see Lebron that he now can't because Lebron exaggerated contact in his previous game? The league would go broke in a matter of weeks. :lol

Sarcastic
02-04-2014, 06:07 PM
They did complain about it.

Miles and Miles
02-04-2014, 06:07 PM
You wouldn't last long as an NBA commish. :lol
You really think the league is going to suspend their best players (aka the people who line Silver's pockets) just because they tried to fool a ref? Are you going to explain to a fan in Oakland who payed hundreds of dollars to see Lebron that he now can't because Lebron exaggerated contact in his previous game? The league would go broke in a matter of weeks. :lol

You don't even have to suspend them. You actually fine them and they would reduce it.

KobesFinger
02-04-2014, 06:23 PM
What does it matter how good a player is? :biggums:
A flop is a flop! Saying that it is more okay for a role player to flop than a star literally makes zero sense. It it's bad for the goose, it's bad for the gander.

The best player in the world should never flop. Whether it's LeBron, Kobe, Durant, Jordan or whoever. Its especially bad for LeBron as he's built like a tank.

I know a flop is a flop, I shouldn't have said it like that. LeBron is a superstar and so when he flops it gets more attention. People did complain about the others flopping. People complain about Varejao flopping and he's not a star

Jameerthefear
02-04-2014, 06:25 PM
future negged

imdaman99
02-04-2014, 06:30 PM
We gonna act like it's acceptable for the supposed best player in the league to be flopping? :kobe:

Fresh Kid
02-04-2014, 06:31 PM
because Lebronna supposed to be tha king of tha NBA but he flops like a bitch more than anybody in tha damn league, thats why people complain about it. A fake king dat turned into a supreme queen who earned none of his rings.

Prometheus
02-04-2014, 06:33 PM
What does it matter that it's more complained about now?

Let's say we're just now becoming more aware of an old problem. Good. Let the league crack down on it and watch the problem die. :applause:

Let's say flopping has actually gotten worse. Let the league crack down on it and watch the problem die. :applause:

Unless you're trying to say we should just not care about LeBron flopping since his predecessors did it as well. You're just complaining and crying because you're sick of your hero being criticized. Lame.

AnaheimLakers24
02-04-2014, 06:42 PM
op es un gay puto

JT123
02-04-2014, 07:14 PM
because Lebronna supposed to be tha king of tha NBA but he flops like a bitch more than anybody in tha damn league, thats why people complain about it. A fake king dat turned into a supreme queen who earned none of his rings.
Hey knicksman! Here's a bit of advise. It's not a good idea to pretend that both of your alts are Knicks fans. :lol Switch it up a little.

JT123
02-04-2014, 07:17 PM
What does it matter that it's more complained about now?

Let's say we're just now becoming more aware of an old problem. Good. Let the league crack down on it and watch the problem die. :applause:

Let's say flopping has actually gotten worse. Let the league crack down on it and watch the problem die. :applause:

Unless you're trying to say we should just not care about LeBron flopping since his predecessors did it as well. You're just complaining and crying because you're sick of your hero being criticized. Lame.
You are a fool if you don't realize that nobody cared about flopping before Lebron started winning rings. :facepalm This thread isn't about the league's stance on flopping, it's about the fans.

outbreak
02-04-2014, 07:20 PM
People have been complaining for years, yes the older generation sold fouls but the new generation are selling phantom fouls which is what has gotten the media involved. I don't mind so much when guys like pierce, kobe, dwight etc exaggerated actual contact but when people like ginobli, wade, harden, cp3 act like they've been hit when replays show 0 contact that's when the media has to comment or look stupid.

Fresh Kid
02-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Hey knicksman! Here's a bit of advise. It's not a good idea to pretend that both of your alts are Knicks fans. :lol Switch it up a little.
first of all... who tha hell are you??:biggums: ... 2nd.... Im definitely not knicksman, I always been a knicks fan too, no pretending for me whatsoever rookie :no:

JT123
02-04-2014, 07:33 PM
first of all... who tha hell are you??:biggums: ... 2nd.... Im definitely not knicksman, I always been a knicks fan too, no pretending for me whatsoever rookie :no:
Well if you aren't him you have a very similar posting style to the guy. Why would a Knicks fan hate Lebron so much? :confusedshrug:
I guess it's because he spurned your joke of a franchise and you got stuck with Melo instead. :roll:

outbreak
02-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Well if you aren't him you have a very similar posting style to the guy. Why would a Knicks fan hate Lebron so much? :confusedshrug:
I guess it's because he spurned your joke of a franchise and you got stuck with Melo instead. :roll:

Do you really have to ask why an nba fan of ANY franchise other than miami would hate Lebron a.k.a the most hated person in the last 25 years of american sports?

Marchesk
02-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Because it sank to the level of soccer shame by 2012. We can blame Euros like Vlade. But back then we thought it was funny when he would flop to get a foul on Shaq after Shaq had ran him over three consecutive times and no whistle was blown. Now it's just absurd and takes away from the game.

BrownEye007
02-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Verajao too

tmacattack33
02-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Its obviously because of youtube and people posting flopping gifs and links on facebook, twitter, etc.

I am a huge fan and watch many nba games, but most of the flops i see are on youtube or from links in treads on here.

Now think about an average fan...99% of the flops they see are probably not from a live game but rather youtube or twitter links.

$LakerGold
02-04-2014, 10:25 PM

I'm listening to 'I can't stop' by FLUX PAVILLON right now, and this song matches so well with this gif. Will someone upload it on youtube? It's so hilarious especially when you time/sync it perfectly with the chorus :oldlol:

I got nothing against Lebron, though. Pauk, you can stop writing now...

talkingconch
02-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Lebron is the only top player in NBA history that has flopped. Not just once, but multiple times on national TV. Thats why. It catches on.

social media adds to the fire

/thread theres nothing Lebron stans can use to argue against this

JT123
02-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Do you really have to ask why an nba fan of ANY franchise other than miami would hate Lebron a.k.a the most hated person in the last 25 years of american sports?
So hated that he has the league's number 1 selling jersey and sells out NBA arena's all across the country? :biggums: Think before you write.

VIntageNOvel
02-04-2014, 10:46 PM
why did no one make it a trend before? i dont remember any jordaning

rip2
02-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Flopping existed, however only in a minority of players. Back then it was Fisher, Divac, the europeans. However, none of them were top players.

Today, Lebron has taken flopping to new heights. Flopping even WITHOUT contact, that's disgusting. And as one of the league's top stars, he should be shamed. Especially for how strong he is, he has no excuse to resort to flopping. Shaq never had to flop despite being hacked all the time and punished for his power.

backb0ard
02-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Championships have been won by flopping, see Wade 2006

CelticBaller
02-04-2014, 11:05 PM
You were too young too remember, or may just too stupid, but eh

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/2295/2dgvm6f.gif
this gif is from way back, flopping has always been a taboo, but what would a kid know about basketball before 2012?

EllEffEll
02-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Laker announcer Chick Hearn called the Michael Cooper version the "flop-a-roo". . . . more than 30 years ago.

BasedTom
02-04-2014, 11:53 PM
The game was much for physical back then. So when a player flopped it probably wasn't as obvious. Compare it to now where hard hits seem a lot more rare. If a player hits the deck now the immediate first thing that comes to mind is that he flopped, not that he actually got hit. And these .gifs and videos of only reinforce this belief.

RedBlackAttack
02-05-2014, 12:11 AM
Flopping really blew up in the early to mid-00s. Prior to that, it really wasn't a big part of the game. Sure, you'd have wackos like Rodman flop and people would laugh, but you go back and look at his flops today and they look like normal plays.

It has really exploded in the last 7-10 years.

And, the amount of exposure these flops get, like anything else, is always dependent upon (a) how bad the flop was; (b) the stage it happens on; and (c) the stature of the player who does it.

When you have the consensus best player in the league tossing his massive frame around in some of the worst flops of all-time deep in the playoffs...

Yeah, it's going to get some publicity. Rightfully so. James is way too good a player to stoop to these depths to get a negligible advantage over inferior teams. It's pretty outrageous.

Every time I see that one against Dallas where he runs out of bounds, I grind my teeth a little. There is no explaining away that sh!t.

lpublic_enemyl
02-05-2014, 12:11 AM
You were too young too remember, or may just too stupid, but eh

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/2295/2dgvm6f.gif
this gif is from way back, flopping has always been a taboo, but what would a kid know about basketball before 2012?
lol that gif is perfect:roll: i die laughing everytime i see it

DMV2
02-05-2014, 12:26 AM
Back then players can retaliate with a real hard foul. Some of the all-stars and good solid players weren't afraid to be enforcers.

Malone
Stockton (known to be a dirty player)
X-man
Oakley
Barkley
Vernon Maxwell
Laimbeer
Rodman
Mase
Zo
Shaq
...list goes on and on.

Hard physical play was the equalizer to flops.
Now, players cant do shit anymore so flopping is more wide spread.