PDA

View Full Version : The GOAT's triple-double stretch overrated? Stat-pad galore.

Illuminati
02-06-2014, 01:58 PM
http://www.interbasket.net/news/wp-content/uploads/michael-jordan-triple-double.jpg

April 9, 1989|By IRA WINDERMAN, NBA Writer (During his triple-double streak)

During breaks in games, Jordan has been wandering over to the scorer`s table to get updates on how many rebounds, assists and points he needs to fill his three double-figure quotas.

``The guys at the scorer`s desk let me know what I need,`` he said. ``They tell me, `You need three assists; you need two rebounds.```

Jordan also has been double-checking the figures with Chicago assistants.

``They keep me in tune,`` he said. ``They keep reminding me when I come back to the huddle, how much I need.``

Last Sunday, at home against New Jersey, the 10th assist was Jordan`s final goal.

``I knew I had nine assists,`` he said, ``and I looked at (forward) Brad (Sellers), and said, `Brad, can I count on you for my 10th?` And he said, `yeah` and hit a jumper from the baseline.``

The push for the elusive triple-double is part of Jordan`s push for greater respect.

``If the way I`m playing now doesn`t convince them I`m a complete player,`` he said, ``then nothing will.``

Here (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1989-04-09/sports/8901190048_1_triple-double-new-statistic-box-score)

I forgot, this only implies to LeBron when he stat-pads. So no one cares. :oldlol:

KG215
02-06-2014, 02:01 PM
This has been pretty common knowledge for years and has been discussed on here before. But it's cute how you seem to think you're the first one to ever bring it up.

Solefade
02-06-2014, 02:01 PM
lettuce be real, everyone cares about their stats not just lebron.

Uncle Drew
02-06-2014, 02:02 PM
MJ > Bran

dr.hee
02-06-2014, 02:02 PM
I forgot, this only implies to LeBron when he stat-pads.

Why did you post then?

Maybe you should change "implies" to "applies", so your thread makes at least grammatical sense.

Milbuck
02-06-2014, 02:06 PM
didn't read

TheMarkMadsen
02-06-2014, 02:07 PM
http://www.interbasket.net/news/wp-content/uploads/michael-jordan-triple-double.jpg

Here (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1989-04-09/sports/8901190048_1_triple-double-new-statistic-box-score)

I forgot, this only implies to LeBron when he stat-pads. So no one cares. :oldlol:

http://i.imgur.com/QywhSuc.gif

Nikola_
02-06-2014, 02:09 PM
MJ stat padding >>> Bran stat padding

moe94
02-06-2014, 02:10 PM
http://www.abload.de/img/gafblowbackgzl3c.gif

Illuminati
02-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Lol good catch. Ok so switch implies with applies. Samething goes.

dr.hee
02-06-2014, 02:16 PM
http://www.abload.de/img/gafblowbackgzl3c.gif

So does this picture apply that OP is an idiot or does it imply to others as well?

r0drig0lac
02-06-2014, 02:17 PM
nah, it was only the GOAT showing that could dominate the way he wanted

dr.hee
02-06-2014, 02:18 PM

In this case I have to ask again...since you've already established that it only applies to Lebron, why the hell did you make a thread about Jordan? Trolling much?

Marlo_Stanfield
02-06-2014, 02:18 PM
everyone knows jordan was a notorious stat padder. he would of killed Wade and Allen if they purposely stole rebounds from him.
but for the 4th best player all time this streak was really amazing.:applause:

moe94
02-06-2014, 02:20 PM
So does this picture apply that OP is an idiot or does it imply to others as well?

It implies to OP being too eager to make this thread.

dr.hee
02-06-2014, 02:20 PM
everyone knows jordan was a notorious stat padder. he would of killed Wade and Allen if they purposely stole rebounds from him.
but for the 4th best player all time this streak was really amazing.:applause:

:coleman:

Some dumb motherf*ckers on this board

SHAQisGOAT
02-06-2014, 02:22 PM
This has been pretty common knowledge for years and has been discussed on here before. But it's cute how you seem to think you're the first one to ever bring it up.

This

dr.hee
02-06-2014, 02:23 PM
It implies to OP being too eager to make this thread.

Thanks for the explantation. I really didn't get it for the spare of a moment, but now I of understanded.

tragicbronson
02-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Dunno why so much hate towards op, i guess Jordan can't be touched in any way.

Illuminati
02-06-2014, 02:25 PM
In this case I have to ask again...since you've already established that it only applies to Lebron, why the hell did you make a thread about Jordan? Trolling much?

There was a thread a few days ago about LeBron stat padding for two rebounds. So I just provided proof on the greatest of all-time stat padding too. But people only hate when LeBron does it.

moe94
02-06-2014, 02:25 PM

It's true. That Nike koolaid is damn tasty.

WELCOME TO THE JAM

dr.hee
02-06-2014, 02:26 PM
There was a thread a few days ago about LeBron stat padding for two rebounds. So I just provided proof on the greatest of all-time stat padding too. But people only hate when LeBron does it.

But it only applies to Lebron. What's your point? I feel a bit mislead, if not to say betrayed. Weak sauce, OP. :kobe:

KG215
02-06-2014, 02:28 PM
The bold is supposed to be two words.

secund2nun
02-06-2014, 02:28 PM

Because when it comes to Jordan he is a god who can do no wrong. When you call people out on being a hypocrite for blasting Lebron on it while ignoring Jordan then they get mad because you exposed them. All of the angry posters blasting the OP are an example of it.

Jordan flopped as well.

KG215
02-06-2014, 02:29 PM
This happened years ago and, like I said, most NBA fans (or at least the more htan just casual fans) have known about it for years. So, odds are, when people are "hating" on LeBron for doing this they either just don't give a shit about something that happened 25 years ago and/or know full well Jordan was stat-padding to some extent.

dr.hee
02-06-2014, 02:30 PM
The bold is supposed to be two words.

:oldlol:

Also, how can switch imply "with applies"?

Ok so switch implies with applies.

Marlo_Stanfield
02-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Because when it comes to Jordan he is a god who can do no wrong. When you call people out on being a hypocrite for blasting Lebron on it while ignoring Jordan then they get mad because you exposed them. All of the angry posters blasting the OP are an example of it.

Jordan flopped as well.
:applause: :applause:

Magic 32
02-06-2014, 02:32 PM

Jordan flopped as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/TheDevil21/Funny/4622173.gif

Demitri98
02-06-2014, 02:32 PM
MJ > Bran
Pope is catholic
Water is wet
Fire is hot
Sun is bright
Rocks are hard

Illuminati
02-06-2014, 02:33 PM
This happened years ago and, like I said, most NBA fans (or at least the more htan just casual fans) have known about it for years. So, odds are, when people are "hating" on LeBron for doing this they either just don't give a shit about something that happened 25 years ago and/or know full well Jordan was stat-padding to some extent.

You misspelled a word. Therefore, I must ignore everything you said.

dr.hee
02-06-2014, 02:34 PM

Your way of choice to show that you're ignoring him is to quote him and post an answer? Have you tried ignoring him instead? Maybe it'll make more sense. Your brain is a mess, lol.

KG215
02-06-2014, 02:34 PM

DAMMIT!! You got me! Good one.

And I'm ignoring everything you say because of your awful grammar. I'm ignoring everything you say because you're a dumbass. Nitpicking your grammar was just for fun.

Marlo_Stanfield
02-06-2014, 02:36 PM
guys dont be mad. jordan just wanted to copy the true perimeter GOAT Magic. None wrong with that:lol :oldlol:

rip2
02-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Wow, op being torn like slut at a frat house :oldlol:

Magic 32
02-06-2014, 02:40 PM

Thats because statpadding plays a primary role in Lebrons "greatness".

MJ has other things he can lean on.......

http://www.oocities.org/colosseum/track/8686/1991.GIF
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/2835229/michael-jordan-shrug-o.gif
http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/jordan_flugame.jpg
http://cdn.tss.uproxx.com/TSS/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/pov-the-last-shot-the-smoking-section.jpg

moe94
dat sneak diss^

I see you.

Wow, op being torn like slut at a frat house :oldlol:

Right up your alley, huh? :coleman:

Illuminati
DAMMIT!! You got me! Good one.

And I'm ignoring everything you say because of your awful grammar. I'm ignoring everything you say because you're a dumbass. Nitpicking your grammar was just for fun.

You forgot to include "not" before the first ignoring. Therefore, another invalid post.

:D

Marlo_Stanfield
02-06-2014, 02:41 PM
dat sneak diss^

I see you.

Right up your alley, huh? :coleman:
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Uncle Drew
02-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Translation: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Indian guy
02-06-2014, 02:43 PM
So, odds are, when people are "hating" on LeBron for doing this they either just don't give a shit about something that happened 25 years ago

Given the fact that that thread was infested with MJ fans, I'd say the timing of this thread was quite appropriate. Double standards are a bitch.

You sound awfully butthurt, btw. Durant's the consensus MVP and recognized by plenty as the current best player. Cheer up, dude.

OldSchoolBBall
02-06-2014, 02:45 PM
And yet if you actually watch the games from that stretch (most of them are up on youtube), you can see that he's playing in the flow and not intentionally making the wrong play, looking for an assist when he can score, or stealing rebounds. He also didn't have the ball in his hands nearly as much as '06-'09 Wade, '06-'12 Lebron, or '05-'10 Kobe during that stretch. Grossly overstated piece of writing.

9erempiree
02-06-2014, 02:47 PM
The sky is blue.

I like how the OP made this thread, it's already common fact.

There's really nothing to argue here from me.

moe94
02-06-2014, 02:48 PM
And yet if you actually watch the games from that stretch (most of them are up on youtube), you can see that he's playing in the flow and not intentionally making the wrong play, looking for an assist when he can score, or stealing rebounds. He also didn't have the ball in his hands nearly as much as '06-'09 Wade, '06-'12 Lebron, or '05-'10 Kobe during that stretch. Grossly overstated piece of writing.

Let's be real, if Jordan decapitated the last panda on planet earth on live television as he was taking a shit on the American flag, you'd spin it in his favor and you'd do it so fabulously to the point I'd agree with you that yes, he's a great man.

HoopsFanNumero1
02-06-2014, 02:49 PM
This is common knowledge. Jordan was a notorious stat-padder.

chazzy
02-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Why would switching to PG "naturally" bump his rebounding up?

tragicbronson
02-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Pope is catholic
Water is wet
Fire is hot
Sun is bright
Rocks are hard

You're a phagot

Marlo_Stanfield
02-06-2014, 03:15 PM
You're a phagot
:applause: :applause:

PickernRoller
02-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Jordan wanted to prove he was the GOAT by all measures possible - some say it was simply his competitive spirit. No news to anyone that at times he resorted to stat padding. Anyone familiar with the times would know that the comparisons with Magic and Bird always resorted around "complete player".

Kobe never gave a sh1t since he was full of himself from the start. His game resembled that of the concensus GOAT, who did all that work to gain that acclaim and recognition before Kobe himself came around. Kobe's Stat-padding was at least nowhere to the proportions of other comparable peers. It would be foolish to deny that Kobe at times loved to drop some extra buckets for fun when he was hot. After all, taking jumpers with a man on his face is what he loves doing most - the challenge.

Then you get the new breed:

Lebron: an awkward physical specimen with little skill compared to the greats before him, who, in his search for his inner-self found out he was never going to be as good as Jordan or Kobe from mid-range . The best way to make an imprint on his own was to stat pad for the "complete player" label. Given the fact that his physical attributes compliment this it was basically a no brainer.

Then you get the copycats like Durant.

Trollsmasher
02-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Jordan is a bigger statpadder than Wilt and that really says something.

No wonder he was known as massive loser for years.

tragicbronson
02-06-2014, 03:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ApCD9hs.jpg

sbw19
02-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Maybe it was overrated, maybe it wasn't. Here's what I don't get: you're LeBron James, two-time (and reigning) world champion, 2xfMVP winner, 4xMVP, consensus best player, this is your 11th season, and somehow you feel the need to chase triple-doubles (something you've done countless times in the past) and sulk when you fail to.

Now I'm not condoning stat-padding it's bad no ifs and buts, but at least in Jordan's case he wasn't the consensus best player at the time; he had very limited playoff success, zero rings, zero fMVP, he was just a one-time regular season MVP whose knock was he wasn't as well-rounded as the other two superstars considered his superior, plus he was 25 years old playing in his 5th season with so much to prove.

I'm struggling to find a reasonable explanation as to why LeBron feels a bit insecure to still go after numbers having accomplished this much.. at this point in his career it's pointless really.

Trollsmasher
02-06-2014, 04:08 PM
MJ = Kevin Love of the 80s

BoutPractice
02-06-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm struggling to find a reasonable explanation as to why LeBron feels a bit insecure to still go after numbers having accomplished this much.. at this point in his career it's pointless really.[/B][/COLOR]
First he gets crucified for failing to keep up with Durant's gaudy numbers during his incredible January stretch, with raw stats being used by trolls as proof that Durant has surpassed him (even though he's still playing great and the Heat are winning, so he should have nothing to worry about)... then when Durant's stats go slightly back to normal and LeBron starts heating up with multiple all-around 30 point performances, he gets criticized for stat padding.

It's a bit hypocritical, when everyone is judging you by your stats, and telling you your rival is better than you based on stats, for those same people to criticize you for looking out for your stats.

The truth is, even the best players will stat pad during the regular season. You hear stories about most top players ever, from Jordan, to Wilt, Kobe, Moses etc. Young players and good players on bad teams, for example, will stat pad to get a bigger contract... which is completely normal since their pay is tied to their stats. They have every incentive to "stat pad". As for great players, they may stat pad to shut up their critics, add to their resume, show that they've still got it, because it's fun and good for their self-esteem, or sometimes because they're bored (Bird?).

russwest0
02-06-2014, 04:33 PM
But did he ever have toxic body language when someone else grabbed a rebound?

ArbitraryWater
02-06-2014, 04:35 PM
LMFAO now not even MJ stans can go on lebron for supposed "stat padding"

nice job :applause:

ArbitraryWater
02-06-2014, 04:37 PM

:rolleyes: come on dude, you know what he means.

ArbitraryWater
02-06-2014, 04:37 PM
MJ = Kevin Love of the 80s

:oldlol:

pauk
02-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Yep, he sure didnt hide it, but you have to also be very good to do that, statpadding is not as easy as it sounds.... its not like your teammates & opponents get out of your way just so you can get the rebounds and its not like they immediately heave whatever stupid shot soon as they catch a pass from you and 10 points is just a walk in the park....

Lebron gets you minimum ~7 -7 apg/rpg without even trying every season, MJ could do those at least 7 / 7 apg/rpg numbers only one season & that is the one he averaged 32-8-8 (and got all those triple doubles) this column you have is talking about, he even played/started PG to assure maximum effort to go after assists that season... every other season he wasnt even close to something like 8-8 rpg/apg..... but for Lebron that is completely natural..... Lebron will only go after a TD only if he needs 1 rebound or two maybe, why not.. but he aint generally a statpadder, i mean he never did & wont go like Jordan did there and set his mind into padding a triple double every game for an entire season....... if he did something like that as MJ in 88, going after TD's from the start of the tip, looking at the scorers table, letting everybody know he wants the TD and really going after it attacking every rebound, begging his teammates to shoot whatever shot soon as he passes to them etc.... he could average a triple double....

OldSchoolBBall
02-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Yep, he sure didnt hide it, but you have to also be very good to do that, statpadding is not as easy as it sounds.... its not like your teammates & opponents get out of your way just so you can get the rebounds and its not like they immediately heave whatever stupid shot soon as they catch a pass from you and 10 points is just a walk in the park....

Lebron gets you minimum ~7 -7 apg/rpg without even trying every season, MJ could do those at least 7 / 7 apg/rpg numbers only one season & that is the one he averaged 32-8-8 (and got all those triple doubles) this column you have is talking about, he even played/started PG to assure maximum effort to go after assists that season... every other season he wasnt even close to something like 8-8 rpg/apg..... but for Lebron that is completely natural..... Lebron will only go after a TD only if he needs 1 rebound or two maybe, why not.. but he aint generally a statpadder, i mean he never did & wont go like Jordan did there and set his mind into padding a triple double every game for an entire season....... if he did something like that as MJ in 88, going after TD's from the start of the tip, looking at the scorers table, letting everybody know he wants the TD and really going after it attacking every rebound, begging his teammates to shoot whatever shot soon as he passes to them etc.... he could average a triple double....

This is nonsense. If Jordan had the ball as much as Lebron did, and wasn't splitting assists/ballhandling duties with Pippen, he would have had multiple seasons of 7-9 apg. Get real.

Jordan did nothing like what you describe, and the games are on youtube for anyone to see. PS - everyone is waiting for you to provide some video of Jordan flopping. :roll:

OldSchoolBBall
02-06-2014, 05:05 PM

This is nonsense. If Jordan had the ball in his hands as much as Lebron did from '06-'12, wasn't playing in an equal opportunity offense like the triangle but rather an iso creation or P&R offense like Lebron, and wasn't splitting assists/ballhandling duties with Pippen, he would have had multiple seasons of 7-9 apg. Get real.

Jordan did nothing like what you describe, and the games are on youtube for anyone to see. PS - everyone is waiting for you to provide some video of Jordan flopping. :roll:

r0drig0lac
02-06-2014, 05:33 PM

offensive rebounds MJ: james 1.6 / LeBron: 1.2, Jordan is a better rebounder than or equal to LeBron, LeBron played with mates doing boxout for him to pull fastbreaks throughout his career, so the accumulation of rebounds

FKAri
02-06-2014, 05:52 PM
How dare you disrespect the GOAT. You cant say anything bad about the GOAT! He never flopped, never cared about stats, helped the poor, has solved scientific mysteries and has more Nobel Prizes than rings.

SexSymbol
02-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Russell is the GOAT.

russwest0
02-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Hilarious how this is in response to people criticizing LeBron for pouting because other guys on his team got a rebound when he wanted a triple double.

hahaitme
02-06-2014, 05:57 PM
But did he ever have toxic body language when someone else grabbed a rebound?

:biggums:
Because Jordan was always so nice to his teammates, right?

knicksman
02-06-2014, 06:00 PM

what you idiots dont understand is that jordan realized statpadding wont get him anywhere whereas lebron instead of foregoing stats to get over the hump chose to form a superteam to preserve his stats.

SHAQisGOAT
02-06-2014, 06:10 PM

:roll:

You should do stand-up comedy

SexSymbol
02-06-2014, 06:30 PM
:roll:

You should do stand-up comedy
For real, he has a talent of talking complete nonsense
LeBron does 7/7 without trying. Yeah, sure, mate, keep believing that.

AnaheimLakers24
02-06-2014, 06:31 PM
mj > bran
kobe > bran
kd > bran

russwest0
02-06-2014, 06:34 PM
:biggums:
Because Jordan was always so nice to his teammates, right?

I never saw him crying on the court because his other teammates did something well that prevented him from getting an arbitrary stat like a triple double.

SamuraiSWISH
02-06-2014, 07:29 PM
:applause: