PDA

View Full Version : Shaq: Kobe Wasn't The Reason Why I Left The Lakers...

DavisWarriorsFan
02-07-2014, 03:03 AM
KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 5m

Barkley is asking Shaq on @NBAonTNT how many total titles for Lakers if Kobe and Shaq stayed together beyond 2004. Shaq says five or six.

https://twitter.com/KevinDing/status/431682929841156096

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 4m

Shaq says it wasn't his relationship with Kobe that ended it, says he refused to take $20M/year instead of $30M/year from Lakers.

https://twitter.com/KevinDing/status/431683271353970688

And you shouldn't have yelled out "Pay me now!" in Jerry Buss' face.

JohnFreeman
02-07-2014, 03:04 AM
Shaq deserves the $30 mill

The Iron Fist
02-07-2014, 03:06 AM
Shaq just owned every Kobe haters soul. But here they will be with the excuses that Shaq is just making that up so Kobe doesn't look bad.

FlashDwyaneWade3
02-07-2014, 03:06 AM
Shaq deserves the $30 mill
Hell no! He wasn't the same after being traded to the Heat.

Akrazotile
02-07-2014, 03:08 AM
Hell no! He wasn't the same after being traded to the Heat.

Yeah but he still deserved it as a reward for carrying Kobe.

Quizno
02-07-2014, 03:09 AM
no way shaq was worse anything close to $30 mill after 2004

navy
02-07-2014, 03:10 AM
What did he make on the Heat?

no pun intended
02-07-2014, 03:13 AM
What did he make on the Heat?
this. he got a pay cut anyway?

Quickening
02-07-2014, 03:16 AM
no way shaq was worse anything close to $30 mill after 2004
He had more to offer than current Kobe.

red1
02-07-2014, 03:18 AM
Shaq just owned every Kobe haters soul. But here they will be with the excuses that Shaq is just making that up so Kobe doesn't look bad.
How does this not make kobe a chucking rapist snitch?

Akrazotile

Very true altho it was the weak and timid Jim Buss who gave kobe this horrible albatross contract.

chazzy
Well that should quiet a bunch of people

fiddy
02-07-2014, 03:20 AM
this. he got a pay cut anyway?
less taxes in Florida? Damaged relations with Lakers frontoffice? :confusedshrug:

The Iron Fist
02-07-2014, 03:21 AM
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j452/ChaonChaos/Oh_he_mad.jpg

fiddy
02-07-2014, 03:21 AM
Yup, the story kind of makes me sad, because we could have witnessed several more seasons of that deadly Shaq-Kobe duo.

Quizno
02-07-2014, 03:23 AM
and?

red1
02-07-2014, 03:23 AM
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j452/ChaonChaos/Oh_he_mad.jpg
Thats what I thought. It changes nothing :pimp:

The Iron Fist
02-07-2014, 03:24 AM
Yup, the story kind of makes me sad, because we could have witnessed several more seasons of that deadly Shaq-Kobe duo.
Pisses me off. Shows how much of a little bitch Shaq is. He stays quiet all these years instead of just saying the truth from the jump. Dude was just jealous that Buss chose Kobe to be the focal point of the team.

The Iron Fist
02-07-2014, 03:25 AM
Thats what I thought. It changes nothing :pimp:
http://www.hiphopsportsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/kobe_trophies_web.jpg

You're absolutely right. :bowdown:

navy
02-07-2014, 03:27 AM
Pisses me off. Shows how much of a little bitch Shaq is. He stays quiet all these years instead of just saying the truth from the jump. Dude was just jealous that Buss chose Kobe to be the focal point of the team.

how do you know he's telling the truth now?

Fallen Angel
02-07-2014, 03:29 AM
We already knew this. Lakers couldn't afford to keep Shaq because of Kobe's contract. Kobe's been crippling his franchise for over a decade now, are any of us really surprised? :confusedshrug:

The Iron Fist
02-07-2014, 03:29 AM
how do you know he's telling the truth now?

He never said why he left in the first place.

red1
02-07-2014, 03:30 AM
http://www.hiphopsportsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/kobe_trophies_web.jpg

You're absolutely right. :bowdown:
Fluke.:pimp: Lucked his way into 5 titles and was in the right place at the right time for the mvp. Give it up man you're not going to win.

rip2
02-07-2014, 03:31 AM
Fluke.:pimp: Lucked his way into 5 titles and was in the right place at the right time for the mvp. Give it up man you're not going to win.
short angry canadian syndrome again :roll: :roll: :roll:

Inferno
02-07-2014, 03:31 AM
We already knew this. Lakers couldn't afford to keep Shaq because of Kobe's contract. Kobe's been crippling his franchise for over a decade now, are any of us really surprised? :confusedshrug:

Kobe was the main reason they won 2 more championships. Stop with the bullshit, man.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-07-2014, 03:32 AM
PC bullshyt :lol

Fallen Angel
02-07-2014, 03:33 AM
Kobe was the main reason they won 2 more championships. Stop with the bullshit, man.

Irrelevant. Shaq left because Kobe's selfish-ass wanted him out and wanted more money. This isn't really news though. The whole world already knew this.

chazzy
02-07-2014, 03:36 AM
Should they have given Shaq his 30M/yr contract instead of resigning Kobe then, YGS?

kennethgriffin
02-07-2014, 03:36 AM
if shaq never leaves kobe never wins a regular season mvp or 2 without shaq.. so who cares what the reason was.

it was the best thing possible.. i'd rather people say kobe ran him outa town. that way he takes full credit for the turn around

Inferno
02-07-2014, 03:37 AM
Irrelevant. Shaq left because Kobe's selfish-ass wanted him out and wanted more money. This isn't really news though. The whole world already knew this.

So you would have kept Shaq, who was putting up 17/7 3 years later over Kobe, who was putting up 32/5/5?

Deuce Bigalow
02-07-2014, 03:37 AM
5 championships. He sure crippled that franchise :oldlol:

How many your team has?:oldlol:

IncarceratedBob
02-07-2014, 03:38 AM
Buss was an idiot for not paying Shaq

Who's laughing now

MVBallin2K
02-07-2014, 03:40 AM
Sorry but you guys are expecting too much. People are still gonna find a way to link this to Kobe. The same way they do Dwight. Or they'll ignore it and say it anyways.

Can't fault Shaq for getting the best deal possible or trying to. I'm sure if no tension were there, he may have taken the paycut but it would have made LA's future interesting with two major contracts if he got the 30 mil. Both Kobe and Shaq ended up with another run at the Finals or two so it's not like it completely killed their careers. Still, a what if to think about.

Cold soul
Funny thing is the Kobe haters said Kobe ran Shaq out of town. Who's laughing now. :oldlol:

FlashDwyaneWade3
Cuz the girl had more than 1 semen on her underwear when it was examined.

FlashDwyaneWade3
02-07-2014, 03:42 AM
Buss was an idiot for not paying Shaq

Who's laughing now
Buss.

Fallen Angel
02-07-2014, 03:44 AM
Shaq single handedly carried his team and brought 3 titles to the city of LA. Give the man his money. Instead, the Lakers decided to reward the sidekick. Shaq wasn't having it, that was one of the most disrespectful moments ever tbh. :oldlol:

The Iron Fist
02-07-2014, 03:46 AM
I'm a Laker fan. I win by default. You're just, from toronto.

Micku
02-07-2014, 03:46 AM

Well, other people cited it before and mentioned it.

[quote]
"When it came to my leaving, [Kobe] could have spoken up. He could have said something. He didn't say anything." Winter said, "[O'Neal] left because he couldn't get what he wanted

FlashDwyaneWade3
02-07-2014, 03:51 AM
Shaq single handedly carried his team and brought 3 titles to the city of LA. Give the man his money. Instead, the Lakers decided to reward the sidekick. Shaq wasn't having it, that was one of the most disrespectful moments ever tbh. :oldlol:
He's not worth 30 mill with they way he lasted here in Miami.

riseagainst
02-07-2014, 03:58 AM
dam... there are some really stupid people on this forum.

:oldlol:

cough* fallen_angel cough* red1 cough*

Mr. Jabbar
02-07-2014, 04:00 AM
"Kobe Wasn't The Reason Why I Left The Lakers, it was Vanessa..."

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1142718/dramatic-rodent-o.gif

oh the horror
02-07-2014, 04:10 AM

If one could "luck" their way into 5 titles then it would be more frequent than you think among the elite along the years.

Dude, just stop posting for awhile.

SCdac
02-07-2014, 04:10 AM
Shaq just realizes pretty soon he'll be sitting next to Kobe on "NBA on TNT" and shows like it much more often as Kobe nears retirement. It's all PR buddy buddy bullshit

Yankstar
02-07-2014, 04:14 AM
Shaq just realizes pretty soon he'll be sitting next to Kobe on "NBA on TNT" and shows like it much more often as Kobe nears retirement. It's all PR buddy buddy bullshit

Lol you really want there to be beef huh. Just accept everyone admires Kobe :bowdown:

SCdac
02-07-2014, 04:17 AM
Lol you really want there to be beef huh. Just accept everyone admires Kobe :bowdown:

I don't want there to be beef now, I'd like to see them sit side by side and talk about the game, its just obvious what happened to anybody watching at the time how it went down. TBH I wouldn't even say it's anybody's fault necessarily, as both Kobe and Shaq seem like douches to the Nth degree

Smoke117
02-07-2014, 04:38 AM
if shaq never leaves kobe never wins a regular season mvp or 2 without shaq.. so who cares what the reason was.

it was the best thing possible.. i'd rather people say kobe ran him outa town. that way he takes full credit for the turn around

Except he doesn't take "full credit for the turn around" as the Lakers didnt' do shit until pau Gasol was part of that team. U mad bro?

ImKobe
02-07-2014, 04:56 AM
Knew it since 04, it was always about the money, the franchise made a decision not to invest that much money in Shaq, which paid off in the long run. Yes, they were a middle of the pack team for 3 seasons, but they went to 3 straight Finals after that and won 2 titles. They made a smart move to invest in the young superstar rather than go with the one on his last legs. They would have lost Kobe and Shaq would have been done in 2-3 seasons as a superstar, they would have been rebuilding for god knows how long.

Black Mamba's B
02-07-2014, 05:00 AM
The hate on Kobe is strong. Shaq's decision was based on money, pride and ego. He made a decision he thought was best for him and both he and Kobe displayed their greatness by winning with out each other

ImKobe
02-07-2014, 05:05 AM
Except he doesn't take "full credit for the turn around" as the Lakers didnt' do shit until pau Gasol was part of that team. U mad bro?

Didn't do shit? They had a 30-16 record before the Pau trade :oldlol: , they were on pace to win 50+ games without him. Kobe was averaging 28.5 ppg 6.3 rpg 5.2 apg 1.9 spg on 46/36/84 shooting and finished the season averaging near identical numbers, winning the MVP. Lol @ Kobe haters.

ihoopallday
02-07-2014, 05:05 AM
:lol Most of you people still don't get it. It's not Kobe most people hate, it's his fans. Same thing with Bron, MJ, etc. If Kobe suited up tomorrow night, best believe 99% of basketball fans would be watching.

IMObjective
02-07-2014, 05:45 AM
:lol Most of you people still don't get it. It's not Kobe most people hate, it's his fans. Same thing with Bron, MJ, etc. If Kobe suited up tomorrow night, best believe 99% of basketball fans would be watching.
Sure, that applies to a few people but you don't have to lurk on these boards for long to see there are a lot of pathetic losers who are straight obsessed with hating on the man without any influence from Kobe fans. And of course LeBron has his. Only the true greats can inspire that kind of irrational hate.

Marlo_Stanfield
02-07-2014, 06:04 AM
everybody knows Kobe ran Shaq outta town one way or another.
Shaq just to classy to admit this:facepalm

FlashDwyaneWade3
02-07-2014, 06:43 AM
everybody knows Kobe ran Shaq outta town one way or another.
Shaq just to classy to admit this:facepalm
You know Shaq!? :eek:

Marlo_Stanfield
02-07-2014, 07:11 AM
You know Shaq!? :eek:
he my nikka:applause: :coleman:

Anfernee
02-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Real talk, if Shaq stayed in shape and continued to expand his game AND Kobe could accept Shaq as the leader, a role that would have eventually progressed to him by '07, and they got along better, they win at least 8 titles together.

Marlo_Stanfield
02-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Real talk, if Shaq stayed in shape and continued to expand his game AND Kobe could accept Shaq as the leader, a role that would have eventually progressed to him by '07, and they got along better, they win at least 8 titles together.
:roll: :roll: :lol :oldlol: :wtf: :wtf: :rolleyes: :biggums: :biggums:

RighteousMax
02-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Classic ether to all of tha salty lebron stans of tha land:applause: :cheers:

Marlo_Stanfield
02-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Classic ether to all of tha salty lebron stans of tha land:applause: :cheers:
why should they be salty, Mr.Salty??:lol

rip2
02-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Son, you're jan 2013 and you got 1000 posts. Leave the house mang :facepalm

If this is dragicdragon, then you've got 2000 posts in january. Seek help.

Marlo_Stanfield
02-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Son, you're jan 2013 and you got 1000 posts. Leave the house mang :facepalm

If this is dragicdragon, then you've got 2000 posts in january. Seek help.
says da nikka who has easily more posts than me on all his alts.
let it go son, its just a game:lol

RighteousMax
02-07-2014, 10:49 AM
how am i salty?:biggums: you salty cuz u think so negative about kobe:coleman:

guy
02-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Maybe it wasn't directly the reason, but you're kidding yourself if it didn't indirectly have something to do with it. You guys really think Jerry Buss wouldn't have increased the offer if Kobe/Shaq were actually getting along fine? Why would he do that if Kobe/Shaq weren't getting along to the point that Kobe says he might not come back if Shaq returns? On top of that, Phil wasn't going to be their to police the feud. The relationship between the two was shit. It made sense that Buss wasn't going to invest that much into such a conflicting relationship with Shaq on the decline.

JohnFreeman
02-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Maybe it wasn't directly the reason, but you're kidding yourself if it didn't indirectly have something to do with it. You guys really think Jerry Buss wouldn't have increased the offer if Kobe/Shaq were actually getting along fine? Why would he do that if Kobe/Shaq weren't getting along to the point that Kobe says he might not come back if Shaq returns? On top of that, Phil wasn't going to be their to police the feud. The relationship between the two was shit. It made sense that Buss wasn't going to invest that much into such a conflicting relationship with Shaq on the decline.
this

D-FENS
02-07-2014, 11:54 AM
They really needed to re-tool after 2004 though.
Some free agents that the Lakers could have looked at after losing to the Pistons if Shaq had stayed:
Rafer Alston
Brent Barry
Jon Barry
Travis Best
Bruce Bowen
Mark Blount
Marcus Camby
Brian Cardinal
Keon Clark
Vlade Divac
Michael Doleac
Derek Fisher
Marcus Fizer
Adonal Foyle
Lawrence Funderburke
Kendall Gill
Horace Grant
Tom Gugliotta
Darvin Ham
Fred Hoiberg
Robert Horry
Troy Hudson
Lindsey Hunter
Toni Kukoc
Karl Malone
Tony Massenburg
Antonio McDyess
Steve Nash
Greg Ostertag
Anthony Peeler
Wesley Person
Michael Ruffin
Bryon Russell
Brian Skinner
Steve Smith
Bob Sura
Gary Trent
Samaki Walker
Rasheed Wallace
Charlie Ward
Eric Williams
Scott Williams
Kevin Willis

JohnFreeman
02-07-2014, 11:56 AM
I think Shaq only said that to protect Kobe a little bit. They definitely had their issues and it has been well documented.

freshperry
02-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Oh cmonnn. A partial reason for them not paying shaq 30m was because they knew they had to pay kobe + phil jackson chose kobe to build the team around...youre telling me there was not even a tiny bit of bitterness? You guys are seriously going to believe an interview after like 10+ yrs when shaq made a damn rap song about how he hates kobe?

Papaya Petee
02-07-2014, 01:06 PM
:roll: :roll: Shaq wasn't close to being worth 20 mil after 2004 never mind 30 mil.

The first season with the Heat he averaged 22\10\2 as our 2nd best player. Thats 20 mil worth.

Next season he regressed to 18\9\2 while missing a bunch of games and being irrelevant in the finals.

The year after he averaged 17\7\2 while only playing in 40 games being injured all year long.

And then his ass got shipped to Phoenix.

Great move by the Lakers to get rid of him in the long run.

red1
02-07-2014, 01:11 PM
If one could "luck" their way into 5 titles then it would be more frequent than you think among the elite along the years.

Dude, just stop posting for awhile.
You trying to say a player like mario chalmers wouldnt match or exceed kobe accolades if he played on those teams? Its the little things that count and thats the reason kobe will never win a ring without shaq or gasol.

riseagainst
02-07-2014, 01:14 PM
You trying to say a player like mario chalmers wouldnt match or exceed kobe accolades if he played on those teams? Its the little things that count and thats the reason kobe will never win a ring without shaq or gasol.

that statement alone shows how low of an IQ you have.
or maybe you are just trolling.

HOoopCityJones
02-07-2014, 01:15 PM
I think Shaq only said that to protect Kobe a little bit. They definitely had their issues and it has been well documented.

You guys have to be consistent though, either Shaq wants to protect Kobe or they hate each other and he ran him out of Town.

Are you From LA? , because I think anyone outside of Cali are the only ones who believes this myth.

Shaq was calling out Jerry during practices and shit in front of all his white Friends talking about "Pay me my ****in money" despite being out of shape and dodging a surgery he should have did in the Summer, an injury that transferred over into the season and hindered our 04 run.

kurple
02-07-2014, 01:20 PM
now the lakers franchise just looks retarded for not giving shaq the money

while kobe is still a douche for snitching

crisoner
02-07-2014, 01:29 PM

That right there. Kobe was close to going to the Clippers who were willing to move the team to Anaheim which is closer to Kobe's home.

Shaq knew they would keep Kobe over him and that didn't sit well with him.
Hence the pay me remarks etc.

HOoopCityJones
02-07-2014, 01:41 PM
^Does that make it any less unprofessional ?

Shaq gets THEE biggest pass Ive ever seen for being a big ass baby.

People always bring up Kobe's side of the feud , but rarely bring up the suspect things Shaq did.

Twiens
02-07-2014, 02:07 PM

Atleast change your avatar if you're gonna keep posting, making canada look bad :oldlol:

Levity
02-07-2014, 02:16 PM

i really dont know why i ever thought you were a decent poster. but judging what ive read from you the past fews days, youre on that tony montana level of trite and cheap trolling

FlashDwyaneWade3
02-07-2014, 02:44 PM
he my nikka:applause: :coleman:
I asked him about your post on his twitter he said "Tell that mind reader STFU."

Replay32
02-07-2014, 02:53 PM
We all know if Shaq would of agreed to the 20 mil, Kobe would of been a Clipper. And the Lakers wanted kobe for the future. They didn't have to trade shaq. They could of let him walk after the year. And they didn't have to trade him so soon. They could of waited and got a better offer. Kobe wasn't gonna play with Shaq no matter what. So yes...

Kobe was the reason Shaq got traded from the Lakers.

freshperry
02-07-2014, 02:54 PM
^Does that make it any less unprofessional ?

Shaq gets THEE biggest pass Ive ever seen for being a big ass baby.

People always bring up Kobe's side of the feud , but rarely bring up the suspect things Shaq did.

But on the same token, the majority of people believe kobe is the better player although it can be argued Shaq had the greatest peak of all time, etc etc. Thats just what I have noticed when talking casual basketball talk

SHAQisGOAT
02-07-2014, 02:57 PM

I think that too, to a certain extent.

HOoopCityJones
02-07-2014, 03:08 PM
But on the same token, the majority of people believe kobe is the better player although it can be argued Shaq had the greatest peak of all time, etc etc. Thats just what I have noticed when talking casual basketball talk

There's no doubt Shaq had the most dominant peak in the modern Era , aside from MJ.

I don't down play Shaq's contributions at all, it's just this Kobe couldn't do it without him nonsense. This is what he had to hear coming to WORK everyday.

And don't let them fool you with how they praise him now, but back in the day, guys like Rick Fox, Robert Horry, etc. were MAJOR Shaq D**k riders and use to give Kobe a hard time every chance they got, and likewise for any other player who came in from Free Agency or otherwise, they all loved Shaq, he was larger than life , had charisma and when he would shit on Kobe they were never too far behind.

Let's forget the fact he was a Laker before all of them, yet he was treated like the Waterboy , except from guys like Brian Shaw and DFish, which is why til this day he gives them both mad respect.

Fact of the matter is Kobe had something to prove , despite being three rings deep he was reminded everyday ( by the man himself) that he would never win rings without Shaq.

What did ya expect his main goal would be by the time he reached his Prime under those circumstances?

I believe Shaq knows all of this, and accepts the responsibility now which is why he's always defending Kobe's legacy these days.

NoGunzJustSkillz
02-07-2014, 03:48 PM
but the thing is, kobe would have left if shaq resigned. maybe the lakers offered 20 mill cause they knew shaq would refuse. at the end of the day, imo, kobe is the reason shaq didnt remain a laker.

red1
02-07-2014, 05:00 PM
i really dont know why i ever thought you were a decent poster. but judging what ive read from you the past fews days, youre on that tony montana level of trite and cheap trolling
:lol the trolling got to you. I dunno man I thought it was too blatant to be taken at face value

wakencdukest
02-07-2014, 05:22 PM
You guys have to be consistent though, either Shaq wants to protect Kobe or they hate each other and he ran him out of Town.

Are you From LA? , because I think anyone outside of Cali are the only ones who believes this myth.

Shaq was calling out Jerry during practices and shit in front of all his white Friends talking about "Pay me my ****in money" despite being out of shape and dodging a surgery he should have did in the Summer, an injury that transferred over into the season and hindered our 04 run.

This is exactly right! Any Laker fan in southern Cal knew this shit. The rest of you that are still hanging on to the Kobe ran him out of town myth are idiots. I remember his comments about not getting surgery on his own time. It was his job, so he would do it on company time. He made a habit of coming into training camp out of shape and taking a third of the season to get into shape. But I think the surgery thing, repeatedly coming into camp 30 pounds overweight, and the "pay me m*therf*cker" incident were the last straws. It wasn't just Lakers management that were pissed off, The fans were getting tired of that shit too.

BlackVVaves
02-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Holy shit red1 and FallenAngel are climbing unworldly levels of incoherent idiocy in this thread :wtf:

Shaq wasn't worth $30 Million dollars at 30, just like Kobe isn't worth $25 Million at 35. The difference is, the Lakers were inclined to keep Kobe and provide him that pricetag because they have no other selling point to season ticket holders and corporate sponsors. They essentially said, this is what you are worth to our franchise at this juncture of irrelevance, so forget what it does to our cap, we don't have a young superstar to build around right now so here take the money. At least it shows other stars we "take care of our own."

A severely flawed logic, but sensible in that with Shaq, it made no sense to tie up $30 million in a player past him prime, when you have a much younger superstar awaiting to be paid. Had the Lakers given Shaq $30 million and Kobe $20 Million, they maybe win in 2005 or 2006 but that's it. The rest of their roster would be so thin, it would be a repeat of their 2003 season.

Had Shaq taken a pay-cut, then they definitely win 5 championships together. But, not sure how injury prone Shaq really helps the Lakers cause if he's allocating so much of their resources to one player.

Those of you who say you would have paid Shaq that money instead of investing in their future would undoubtedly lead your franchises to the abyss if you were GMs.