PDA

View Full Version : True or False: John Wall better then Steph Curry

TAZORAC
02-08-2014, 12:07 PM
I've always been one to realize that at the PG position stats don't always illustrate who the better player is. I said last year (do a search) that John Wall would be an allstar this season and that a healthy Wizards team is the 4th or 5th best team in the East.

I think John Wall right after Westbrook, Parker, Paul is the 4th best PG in the league. Do you agree that he's better then Steph Curry?

If you put Curry on the Wizards, they would be 8 or 9th best team in the East, where as the Warriors wouldn't lose a step with Wall and would probably be better.

All Curry does is shoot, he's like the guy at the YMCA on the court who can't do anything but shoot, or the little kid on the basketball court that the men let play because he has a nice jump shot, but you don't expect him to do anything else. Curry doesn't run a team.

Go Getter
02-08-2014, 12:09 PM
False.

iTare
02-08-2014, 12:09 PM
I would rank them about the same.

Go Getter
02-08-2014, 12:15 PM
RW hasn't been a top PG in awhile and after three knee surgeries who knows where he will be. How you can say he's better than Lillard right now is very strange.

FatComputerNerd
02-08-2014, 12:16 PM
You really can't compare the two IMO.

Both are PG's sure, but they are like polar opposites in terms of what their strengths are.

Wall is more althetic, probably a better playmaker, and obviously a better defender.

Curry is obviously a better shooter, while still being a capable playmaker.

I think it would come down to what their respective surrounding rosters look like in terms of who is "better". Curry would be a better fit on some teams, Wall on others.

Having said that...Irving > both of them =)

KyrieTheFuture
02-08-2014, 12:21 PM
There are very few PGs I'd rather have than Wall. That would be Rondo and Westbrook if he comes back healthy. They do what I want a PG to do. Kyrie I love, but he should play SG

FatComputerNerd
02-08-2014, 12:26 PM
There are very few PGs I'd rather have than Wall. That would be Rondo and Westbrook if he comes back healthy. They do what I want a PG to do. Kyrie I love, but he should play SG

No way man! :no:

KyrieTheFuture
02-08-2014, 12:29 PM
No way man! :no:
Not as the team is constructed now, he definitely should play PG now. I'd just rather he learn to move without the ball a bit and have a strictly pass first PG. That's just how I like teams to be built but I understand that won't happen.

FatComputerNerd
02-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Not as the team is constructed now, he definitely should play PG now. I'd just rather he learn to move without the ball a bit and have a strictly pass first PG. That's just how I like teams to be built but I understand that won't happen.

He's too good of a passer (regardless of what's been said on here lately) to not play at PG.

Plus he'd be way undersized as a SG, and has shown that he's at his best with the ball in his hands!

I get so mad when he's on the court and not the one bringing the ball up...

Let's not derail this thread though...my fault =)

Jameerthefear
02-08-2014, 12:33 PM
I've always been one to realize that at the PG position stats don't always illustrate who the better player is. I said last year (do a search) that John Wall would be an allstar this season and that a healthy Wizards team is the 4th or 5th best team in the East.

I think John Wall right after Westbrook, Parker, Paul is the 4th best PG in the league. Do you agree that he's better then Steph Curry?

If you put Curry on the Wizards, they would be 8 or 9th best team in the East, where as the Warriors wouldn't lose a step with Wall and would probably be better.

All Curry does is shoot, he's like the guy at the YMCA on the court who can't do anything but shoot, or the little kid on the basketball court that the men let play because he has a nice jump shot, but you don't expect him to do anything else. Curry doesn't run a team.
You suck. Stop posting.

Go Getter
02-08-2014, 12:59 PM
:biggums:

Both are PG's sure, but they are like polar opposites in terms of what their strengths are.

Wall is more althetic, probably a better playmaker, and obviously a better defender.

I think it would come down to what their respective surrounding rosters look like in terms of who is "better". Curry would be a better fit on some teams, Wall on others.

:facepalm "You can't compare the two"

Proceeds to compare them:oldlol:

FatComputerNerd
02-08-2014, 01:04 PM
:biggums:

:facepalm "You can't compare the two"

Proceeds to compare them:oldlol:

:banana: :confusedshrug:

imdaman99
02-08-2014, 01:08 PM
RW hasn't been a top PG in awhile and after three knee surgeries who knows where he will be. How you can say he's better than Lillard right now is very strange.
Hasn't been a top point guard for a while, I guess you mean up until the game the organization shelved him he was beasting and helping the Thunder win at a better clip than they are currently? Sure. Goatbrook is still a top point guard every time he steps on the court. Hell, he was a top PG even in the games that he got injured/last game before he got his surgery. He will be a top PG up until he retires. Deal with it. Comparing him to Lillard :roll: Lillard is a beast, but his defense he gave up 30+ pts to George Hill :oldlol:

As for these guys, I put them right next to each other. Both are very important to their teams. Warriors have more talent and IQ surrounding him, and help make up the fact that Curry doesn't play good D. Curry spreads the floor for his teammates and sets them up, while Wall has good court vision and great defense too.

moe94
02-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Curry exceeded my wildest expectations. Absolutely wrote him off when he was drafted as a nonathletic spot up shooter. I still can't believe he can be argued as a top 5 player in this league.

Wall had unreal expectations which he is finally living up to.

Both great players but Curry is clearly a better player right now.

J Shuttlesworth
02-08-2014, 01:26 PM
People who think Curry only shoots are obviously box score watchers, and never seen him play. He can make plays and drive it in too for some floaters:cheers:

Kingwillball
02-08-2014, 01:28 PM

This is a good post except last part Irving needs to step his game up..

Haks
02-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Curry has basically been the best point guard in the nba this season. (taking into consideration paul and westbrooks injury). All Wall does is defend much better than curry but other than nah and wall has a great year. I would argue dragic>Wall. He really is lacking in the efficiency department though.
1.cp3
2.curry/westbrook
3.westrook/curry
4.dragic
5.wall

freshperry
02-08-2014, 02:14 PM
curry may not be a super prototypical point guard but the YMCA shooter is pushing it........ he showed in the playoffs his handles are quite nice and he can assist to. Plus, he can make his own shot. those are some good traits for a bball player

Go Getter
02-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Hasn't been a top point guard for a while, I guess you mean up until the game the organization shelved him he was beasting and helping the Thunder win at a better clip than they are currently? Sure. Goatbrook is still a top point guard every time he steps on the court. Hell, he was a top PG even in the games that he got injured/last game before he got his surgery. He will be a top PG up until he retires. Deal with it. Comparing him to Lillard :roll: Lillard is a beast, but his defense he gave up 30+ pts to George Hill :oldlol:

1. They went on a winning streak with RW and Durant has had career highs.
2. He was not a top PG when he came back he had a couple of good games but he struggled a lot too. He averaged 21 pts but on 42% shooting from the field, 30% from 3 and 4 t/o t o7 assists.
3. Lillard has had a better year than RW man be honest with yourself and hop off of his jock. it sucks that's he's not healthy but you can't put him in the ranks because he hasn't played enough. It's common sense.

Y2ktors
02-08-2014, 03:22 PM
False

DukeDelonte13
02-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Wall has been so impressive this season. He has the potential to be a truly complete PG if he continues on the development trajectory he's on.

I think right now you have to give the edge to Curry but if Wall continues to develop his game he has potential to be better.

Go Getter
02-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Wall has been so impressive this season. He has the potential to be a truly complete PG if he continues on the development trajectory he's on.

I think right now you have to give the edge to Curry but if Wall continues to develop his game he has potential to be better.

I don't get it. Curry has room to improve just like Wall does and he's already better right now so how can anyone truly know?

oarabbus
02-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Curry is better.

redhonda76
02-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Curry is better. To say Wall is a better play maker than Curry already showed people haven't watched enough Golden State's game. The only thing Wall has over Curry is defense. Curry's ability to score anywhere in the floor makes defense zone on him for his teammate easier to score.

Illuminati
02-08-2014, 09:00 PM
The only thing Wall is better than Curry at is defense. Passing and playmaking I'd say they're about even. Then Curry is better at everything else.

Therefore, false.

Warfan
02-08-2014, 09:02 PM
All Curry does is shoot, he's like the guy at the YMCA on the court who can't do anything but shoot, or the little kid on the basketball court that the men let play because he has a nice jump shot, but you don't expect him to do anything else. Curry doesn't run a team

:biggums: :roll:

stephs the better player but wall is very good aswell

Curry is better. To say Wall is a better play maker than Curry already showed people haven't watched enough Golden State's game. The only thing Wall has over Curry is defense. Curry's ability to score anywhere in the floor makes defense zone on him for his teammate easier to score.

This

JohnFreeman
02-08-2014, 09:05 PM
True.

TAZORAC
02-08-2014, 09:42 PM

Irving is a stat filler on a shitty team, ala Kevin Love. If you put him on a team like say the Spurs instead of Tony Parker, they would be as good as a healthy Spurs team without Parker (with Leonard, Green and Splitter). My point is Irving doesn't make a good team better, but he looks good on a bad team

JimmyMcAdocious
02-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Curry has the best touch in the NBA. Not just shooting, but some of his finger rolls are insane. Like 15 feet in the air and they get nothing but net. Seen it with either hand... Then he has the runner down, uses the glass well, probably the best pull up J, and obviously his shooting overall is elite.

Underrated handle too. Probably top 4. Who would be on that list? CP3, Kyrie...

coolhandsteve
02-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Curry>Wall offensively. Wall>Curry defensively. But the gap between Wall and Steph is smaller on offense than is the gap between Steph and Wall defensively because Wall's offensive game is developing, and if he stays healthy I think eventually in the future he should be the better & more complete PG.

TAZORAC
02-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Curry>Wall offensively. Wall>Curry defensively. But the gap between Wall and Steph is smaller on offense than is the gap between Steph and Wall defensively because Wall's offensive game is developing, and if he stays healthy I think eventually in the future he should be the better & more complete PG.

Wall is a pass first PG, while Curry looks to score. If Wall wanted too he could EASILY score 22-24 points a game, he can drive to the basket at will similar to Rose pre injury's.

JohnFreeman
02-09-2014, 07:00 AM
Would love to see Wall with that Warriors team instead of Curry.

I.R.Beast
02-09-2014, 08:45 AM
becuase he is better at everything ecept shooting than lillard...lillard is quite overrated these days...he's a 2nd tier pg

JUDGE WITNESS
02-09-2014, 09:46 AM
steph curry at the moment solely for his shooting ability. if john wall had as good a jumpshot or even a reliable one id take him over steph every single day

qrich
02-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Curry and Wall are difficult to compare as they are on different sides of the spectrum when it comes to their playing style and their role on their respective teams. I'd take Wall to start a team, personally, though I think Curry is the better player, as I believe it would be easier to start a team around John than Steph.

I'm hoping you excluded Christopher Emmanuel Paul from your list as he is an obvious pick over all three of those.

JohnMax
02-09-2014, 10:16 AM

How is Kyrie Irving better than Steph Curry?

Curry is a better scorer, shooter and ball handler. Kyrie is also not very athletic.

FatComputerNerd
02-09-2014, 11:55 AM
How is Kyrie Irving better than Steph Curry?

Curry is a better scorer, shooter and ball handler. Kyrie is also not very athletic.

Shooter perhaps.

Scoring and ball handling are arguable.

Besides, I'm allowed to wear homer goggles once in a while, no? :D

smoovegittar
02-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Tough call. I like them both, but I think Wall has more upside than Curry. Only time will tell.

JohnFreeman
02-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Irving has regressed..

TheMilkyBarKid
02-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Big fan of wall here, but it really does depend on the surrounding team.

smoovegittar
02-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Irving has regressed..

That's good news for me - I want him on the Knickerbockers! :D