PDA

View Full Version : Return of the 20/10 big men

gyu
02-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Last season not one player averaged at least 20 points, 10 rebounds a game. This season we have:

- Kevin Love 26 PPG, 13 RPG
- DeMarcus Cousins 23 PPG, 12 RPG
- LaMarcus Aldridge 24 PPG, 12 RPG
- Anthony Davis 21 PPG, 10 RPG
- Blake Griffin 24 PPG, 10 RPG
- Al Jefferson 20 PPG, 11 RPG

Then we also have other big men who are having very solid double-double seasons:

- Dwight Howard 19 PPG, 12 RPG
- Andre Drummond 13 PPG, 13 RPG
- Pau Gasol 17 PPG, 10 RPG
- Zach Randolph 18 PPG, 12 RPG
- David Lee 19 PPG, 10 RPG
- Tim Duncan 15 PPG, 10 RPG

Is the 'weak big man era' just a myth or at least very exaggerated? Or are we seeing a resurgence of the PF/C position? The weakest position is now the SG in my opinion.

fpliii
02-08-2014, 04:41 PM
I know it's not necessarily a prerequisite, but how many of those guys are skilled or dominant in the low post offensively?

That seems to be the primary qualm of detractors.

navy
02-08-2014, 04:43 PM
I know it's not necessarily a prerequisite, but how many of those guys are skilled or dominant in the low post offensively?

Al Jefferson is the only one on there. Unless you count LMA and his fadeaway. Not sure about DMC.

ArbitraryWater
02-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Just what I thought last night... 9 great bigs in the West alone right now.

Cousins, Davis, Blake, LMA, Love, Dirk, Howard, Lee, Randolph

East got Jefferson

HOoopCityJones
02-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Dwight is a clown....You still can't at least average 25 pts bro?

Aren't the Rocket's 11-0 when he scores at least 20?

Milbuck
02-08-2014, 04:45 PM

All the guys in the first group are somewhat to very skilled in the post. Blake, AD, and Love are still getting better in the post. DMC, big Al and Aldridge are already beasts in the post.

Out of the second group Zbo, Pau, Timmy, and Lee are skilled in the post. All of them are old or aging, but at one point were elite or dominant.

That only leaves Dwight and Drummond, and Drummond is what, 20? He has plenty of time.

ImKobe
02-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Last season not one player averaged at least 20 points, 10 rebounds a game. This season we have:

- Kevin Love 26 PPG, 13 RPG
- DeMarcus Cousins 23 PPG, 12 RPG
- LaMarcus Aldridge 24 PPG, 12 RPG
- Anthony Davis 21 PPG, 10 RPG
- Blake Griffin 24 PPG, 10 RPG
- Al Jefferson 20 PPG, 11 RPG

Then we also have other big men who are having very solid double-double seasons:

- Dwight Howard 19 PPG, 12 RPG
- Andre Drummond 13 PPG, 13 RPG
- Pau Gasol 17 PPG, 10 RPG
- Zach Randolph 18 PPG, 12 RPG
- David Lee 19 PPG, 10 RPG
- Tim Duncan 15 PPG, 10 RPG

Is the 'weak big man era' just a myth or at least very exaggerated? Or are we seeing a resurgence of the PF/C position? The weakest position is now the SG in my opinion.

The injuries hampered the position for a lil bit, Love and Dwight had injury trouble, but now they're both healthy, Davis is more of a PF as is Aldridge, but both have the size to play the 5. Drummond has been a pleasant surprise. I think Embiid will do well once he's ready to play in the NBA, Noel will be coming back from his ACL injury. DeAndre Jordan is also averaging 10 ppg 14 rpg(leads NBA), Bogut's averaging 8 ppg 12 rpg 2 bpg

So yeah, the league has always had a decent amount of big men, but today's game is a little more perimeter oriented, way more 3pt attempts.

FKAri
02-08-2014, 04:49 PM

These detractors are refusing to accept how the game has changed in favor of more mobile big men. Modern big men need to be able to handle speedy guards on pick n roll switches momentarily and have enough time to recover back to their man.

Nikola_
02-08-2014, 04:50 PM
no seven footers?

Kblaze8855
02-08-2014, 04:53 PM
20 years ago Patrick Ewing put up 25/11 on a 57 win team that literally lost the NBA finals by Hakeems pinky.

He wasnt even all nba third team.

Point being....it depends on if you mean centers or forwards. This isnt a weak forwards era. KG, Dirk, Lebron, Durant, Webber, Duncan, and so on....2000-now...great era for forwards.

The best center this season would be all nba....6th team 20 years ago? Maybe?

Kevin Willis was doing 19/12 on a 57 win team and nobody gave a shit.

Smook A.
02-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Dwight is a clown....You still can't at least average 25 pts bro?

Aren't the Rocket's 11-0 when he scores at least 20?
Rockets have alot of scoring options. Its not just Dwight. 19/12/2 is still pretty awesome

gasolina
02-08-2014, 05:05 PM
And yet the NBA continues to undervalue big men. Skewing the rules to make it harder to post up, taking their spot in the all star game, etc etc

:facepalm

Even if the league is as popular as its ever been, the actual basketball being played is shit

SHAQisGOAT
02-08-2014, 05:06 PM
:applause:

kurt_rambis
02-08-2014, 05:36 PM

griffin is getting a lot better. not great by any means but you can see him figuring it out

charles barkley and karl malone weren't particuarlly good in the post either, so i don't think it really matters much

oarabbus
02-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Al Jefferson is the only one on there. Unless you count LMA and his fadeaway. Not sure about DMC.

:biggums:

Tim Duncan? David Lee? Both are extremely offensively skilled in the low post. Way, way ahead of LMA...

navy
02-08-2014, 05:44 PM
:biggums:

Tim Duncan? David Lee? Both are extremely offensively skilled in the low post. Way, way ahead of LMA...
I was talking about the 20/10 players. Should have clarified.

highwhey
02-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Not impressed :durantunimpressed:

Bump this thread when those bigs you listed begin to play defense. With the exception of a couple of those, they dont impress because they can't dominate the areas a protypical bigman should and/or can't play.defense.

If they were half as good as their numbers indicate, we wouldn't have a top heavy league. A prime kg or Duncan would tear this league apart because of the lack of rim protectors and offensive minded bigmen.

secund2nun
02-08-2014, 07:10 PM
This is what I love to see. The return of the big man. Davis and Cousins headline this crop of big men.

gyu
02-09-2014, 01:35 PM

Bump this thread when those bigs you listed begin to play defense. With the exception of a couple of those, they dont impress because they can't dominate the areas a protypical bigman should and/or can't play.defense.

If they were half as good as their numbers indicate, we wouldn't have a top heavy league. A prime kg or Duncan would tear this league apart because of the lack of rim protectors and offensive minded bigmen.
I don't think prime KG would. His game did not age well, whereas Tim Duncan is still capable of beasting at his current age.

YouGotServed
02-09-2014, 01:41 PM

Well said. :applause: And that's what makes Dwight the best big man in the game. His ability to score 25 and dominate the game on the defensive end.

Nets fan 93
02-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Big men aren't weak. It's the center position that is weak. Not a lot of true centers out there

redhonda76
02-09-2014, 08:00 PM
20 years ago Patrick Ewing put up 25/11 on a 57 win team that literally lost the NBA finals by Hakeems pinky.

He wasnt even all nba third team.

Point being....it depends on if you mean centers or forwards. This isnt a weak forwards era. KG, Dirk, Lebron, Durant, Webber, Duncan, and so on....2000-now...great era for forwards.

The best center this season would be all nba....6th team 20 years ago? Maybe?

Kevin Willis was doing 19/12 on a 57 win team and nobody gave a shit.

Well said. :applause: