PDA

View Full Version : Pistons fire Mo Cheeks

L3B120N J4M35
02-09-2014, 12:58 PM
per woj

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/432558966040576000

Akrazotile
02-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Feel like that team has a curse on it from the Billups-Iverson trade.

BlackWhiteGreen
02-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Hash tag Woj bomb

Not really surprising given their performance so far.

Im Still Ballin
02-09-2014, 01:02 PM
#oohkillem

JohnFreeman
02-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Poor Mo Cheeks..that team is a mess. Maybe OKC will take him back? :confusedshrug:

KyrieTheFuture
02-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Cleveland and Detroit making some interesting moves. We should fire our coach and they should fire their GM. Who the **** thinks a Smith,Monroe, Drummond front court will work when Brandon Jennings is your PG? You could have Jesus handling the rock and that wouldn't work.

Bobcats2013
02-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Poor Mo Cheeks..that team is a mess. Maybe OKC will take him back? :confusedshrug:

Is it really a mess or just in need of some change at HC? They show flashes of brilliance.

Duderonomy
02-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Weird timing they just blew out the Nets and Nuggets on b2b nights. Wonder if Hollins is the front runner.

JohnFreeman
02-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Is it really a mess or just in need of some change at HC? They show flashes of brilliance.
Maybe another coach could sort it out. When you have josh Smith and Jennings on your team, it must be bloody hard work :banghead:

chocolatethunder
02-09-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm a Sixer Fan and loved him as a player but he is truly one of the worst coaches I can think of in the last 20 years. He's brutal. I have no idea why he can get hired as a coach in this league. He's right up there with Johnnie Davis.

mr.big35
02-09-2014, 01:25 PM
how does this guy still coach in the nba.

Rake2204
02-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Is it really a mess or just in need of some change at HC? They show flashes of brilliance.I think it depends upon whether someone can get Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings to stop doing so many bad things (in addition to the good things they both are actually very capable of bringing to the table).

The angle all along this season was that Maurice Cheeks was a player's coach, taking it a bit easy on the crew and whatnot, perhaps as a means of contrasting their previous head coaches. Unfortunately, with Smith and Jennings, I'n not sure a player's coach is what may provide the biggest benefit. I feel like Detroit needs someone who will put their foot down and make Josh Smith stop shooting outside of ten feet. The team as a whole seemed to lack a sense of urgency throughout the season. It kind of felt they were like, "Welp, if something good happens, great. And if I take a bad shot... whatevs."

Akrazotile
02-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Cleveland and Detroit making some interesting moves. We should fire our coach and they should fire their GM. Who the **** thinks a Smith,Monroe, Drummond front court will work when Brandon Jennings is your PG? You could have Jesus handling the rock and that wouldn't work.

And Dragic is already with the Suns anyway.

Meticode
02-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Looks like in today's NBA business world you find out your coach or GM has been fired via Twitter now and not from the organization you work for.

Sonic R
02-09-2014, 01:50 PM
meh... Detroit will NEVER be able to draw in a half decent coach... 6 coaches in 10 years... that included the longest tenured Pistons coach since Chuck Daly... smh

BlackVVaves
02-09-2014, 02:02 PM

This X infinity.

Joe Dumars assembled a champion, then carefully maneuvered the self-crippling of that franchise through poor drafting, idiotic contracts (Ben Gordon and Charlie V :roll: ) and otherwise incompetent management.

Good for Cheeks. He deserves a situation that actually has room for growth. The Pistons ain't shit and aren't going to be shit for a while. Not until Dumars is shown the door.

boozehound
02-09-2014, 02:14 PM
meh... Detroit will NEVER be able to draw in a half decent coach... 6 coaches in 10 years... that included the longest tenured Pistons coach since Chuck Daly... smh
This seems a little extreme. Carlisle? who they fired for Brown (HoF) and then tried to recover with flip. all three of those are good to great coaches. Since then, joe D has failed massively. He is apparently terrible at evaluating coaching candidates.

While the timing is strange, Mo had to go. Especially since Joe is trying to keep his job. I still dont know what to think about his giant lineup, but they have beat two teams that are better than them (at the very least record-wise and probably legitimately better) in massive blowouts since it happened.

Coach Sheed!

Nah, I hope they bring in hollins or maybe mcmillan. My pipe dream is Laimbeer.

Styles p
02-09-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm a Sixer Fan and loved him as a player but he is truly one of the worst coaches I can think of in the last 20 years. He's brutal. I have no idea why he can get hired as a coach in this league. He's right up there with Johnnie Davis.
meh, he's better than eddie jordan.

boozehound
02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
This X infinity.

Joe Dumars assembled a champion, then carefully maneuvered the self-crippling of that franchise through poor drafting, idiotic contracts (Ben Gordon and Charlie V :roll: ) and otherwise incompetent management.

Good for Cheeks. He deserves a situation that actually has room for growth. The Pistons ain't shit and aren't going to be shit for a while. Not until Dumars is shown the door.
poor drafting hasnt been a part of it IMO. Outside of Darko, almost all of his picks have been successful nba players (delfino, okur, amir, afflalo!, etc). Now, he doesnt do a good job of holding on to those players, but the talent evaluation has been there.

IMO his major failings have been FA moves and coaching moves. He has been a terrible evaluating both talent and fit. He seems to have forgotten that his best FA moves have always been for undervalued players (like rip and Chauncey) and basically just throws money at the biggest name he can get (or in the case of CV and BG, best players at the position of need). His trades have also been terrible.

But dont dog his draft

BlackVVaves
02-09-2014, 02:28 PM
poor drafting hasnt been a part of it IMO. Outside of Darko, almost all of his picks have been successful nba players (delfino, okur, amir, afflalo!, etc). Now, he doesnt do a good job of holding on to those players, but the talent evaluation has been there.

IMO his major failings have been FA moves and coaching moves. He has been a terrible evaluating both talent and fit. He seems to have forgotten that his best FA moves have always been for undervalued players (like rip and Chauncey) and basically just throws money at the biggest name he can get (or in the case of CV and BG, best players at the position of need). His trades have also been terrible.

But dont dog his draft

That Darko pick played a pivotal role in why the Pistons weren't able to sustain success though. Where would the Pistons be now had they drafted Melo, Wade, or Bosh? Maybe those players wouldn't be Pistons now, but they would have been through 2010/2011. And at least the franchise would have garnered an inkling of relevance during that span.

Once more, I'm fairly certain that Pistons team with Melo or Wade on a rookie contract would have won a multitude of championships. All Time great defense with an elite scorer on a cap friendly contract?

Sign me up.

KyrieTheFuture
02-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Joe Dumars still being employed after these last 10 years makes me think he's got some blackmail or some ****

Milbuck
02-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Damn. I was really exciting about that hiring when I first heard about it.

They should definitely go for Lionel Hollins. Zbo and Gasol were a nasty front court, but I think that Monroe and Drummond have much, much more potential. They could be the scariest front court in the league if they just got rid of Jsmoove.

imdaman99
02-09-2014, 02:32 PM
When does Joe Dumars get the ax? He drafted Darko Milicic, which was the beginning of the end after they won the finals. I guess never since he was a big part in their rings when he played. I suppose Isiah Thomas would be so revered in Detroit as well.

navy
02-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Damn. I was really exciting about that hiring when I first heard about it.

They should definitely go for Lionel Hollins. Zbo and Gasol were a nasty front court, but I think that Monroe and Drummond have much, much more potential. They could be the scariest front court in the league if they just got rid of Jsmoove.
Drummond has no offensive skill what so ever though. Gasol was an elite passer and good shooter for his size. The Coach that can stop Josh Smith and Jennings from chucking is the coach the Pistons need.

Rake2204
02-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Where would the Pistons be now had they drafted Melo, Wade, or Bosh? Maybe those players wouldn't be Pistons now, but they would have been through 2010/2011. And at least the franchise would have garnered an inkling of relevance during that span.

Once more, I'm fairly certain that Pistons team with Melo or Wade on a rookie contract would have won a multitude of championships. All Time great defense with an elite scorer on a cap friendly contract?

Sign me up.Where would the Pistons be now had they drafted Melo, Wade, or Bosh? No one knows for sure, but simply as a matter of circumstance, had they drafted one of those three, they might still be chasing their first championship ring of the new millennium.

Again, this isn't a way of saying Joe Dumars made the right pick in drafting Darko, but because he did draft Darko, and because Darko struggled so mightily, I think it's realistic to believe that played at least a small role in pushing the Pistons front office to trade for Rasheed Wallace. And only with both Wallaces did the Pistons truly become an elite defensive squad.

Further, it's tough to say where any of those players would have fit in early in their Pistons careers. If Bosh were drafted and did well enough to keep the Rasheed deal at bay, I'm not sure the Pistons are winning any rings. If Wade were drafted, and the Pistons then failed to eclipse their Eastern Conference Finals appearance a year earlier, I imagine much backlash from those wondering why Dumars would draft a shooting guard a year after he'd traded his franchise player for an up-and-coming two guard in Richard Hamilton.

The Pistons had a glaring hole, and that was in the middle. So with a gift of a draft pick (they were already ECF finalists), I think Detroit took a chance on the Euro wave that was sweeping the NBA at that point (alongside Peja Stojakovic, Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Dirk Nowitzki, Nene Hilario, Bostjan Nachbar, Yao Ming, and DaSagana Diop - all drafted 15th or higher).

For whatever reason, I think things worked out just perfectly enough to allow the Pistons to win at least one championship ring. I question whether a defensive minded team with a young Tayshaun Prince entering his prime at the three would have been wise to pass on the hyped seven footer in favor of the freshman three man who'd be log jammed at his position.

It always felt like a hindsight 20/20 situation to me.

DukeDelonte13
02-09-2014, 02:52 PM
i don't think coaching was necessarily the problem with the team. It's tough for a team to get over the hump when they have a new coach every other season.

I hate the lack of patience in today's NBA. Piston's have a lot of new blood on that roster no matter who was in charge they weren't going to run like a finely tuned machine.

Sonic R
02-09-2014, 03:12 PM
This seems a little extreme. Carlisle? who they fired for Brown (HoF) and then tried to recover with flip. all three of those are good to great coaches. Since then, joe D has failed massively. He is apparently terrible at evaluating coaching candidates.

While the timing is strange, Mo had to go. Especially since Joe is trying to keep his job. I still dont know what to think about his giant lineup, but they have beat two teams that are better than them (at the very least record-wise and probably legitimately better) in massive blowouts since it happened.

Coach Sheed!

Nah, I hope they bring in hollins or maybe mcmillan. My pipe dream is Laimbeer.

10 years ago, Larry Brown was coach of this team, after him, we had Flip, who had a reasonable tenure... since his release, this franchise has gone through a plethora of coaches.. IMO, they shouldn't have hired Mo in the first place... I was never thrilled with his signing....

and about the front court, they should trade moose while he has good value... can't start Drummond, Josh, and moose...

and yeah, Dumars time is long over due

SHABBA
02-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m
Detroit plans to let John Loyer coach the rest of season, league sources tells Yahoo Sports. Pistons won't be conducting a search now.

sundog67
02-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Found this-

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/have-rasheed-wallace-become-interim-head-coach-detroit-pistons/0z34l46p

:roll:

...but seriously... :bowdown:

JimmyMcAdocious
02-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Coach Sheed!

http://need4sheed.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/need4sheed_sheed_coach2.jpg

JellyBean
02-09-2014, 06:09 PM

:roll: This, my friend, has been the best comment I have heard this season on the Pistons situation. Great comment.

Akrazotile
02-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Where would the Pistons be now had they drafted Melo,

Same place the Knicks are. Nowhere.

boozehound
02-09-2014, 06:47 PM
That Darko pick played a pivotal role in why the Pistons weren't able to sustain success though. Where would the Pistons be now had they drafted Melo, Wade, or Bosh? Maybe those players wouldn't be Pistons now, but they would have been through 2010/2011. And at least the franchise would have garnered an inkling of relevance during that span.

Sign me up.
meh, this is mostly bullshit. It was obviously a bad pick, but its not why they didnt sustain their success (which, btw, was one of the longest sustained runs of competing in nba history - the record for sequential conference finals appearances, longest streak of teams under 70, etc).

They werent able to sustain it because Joe D let good young players like afflalo, amir, etc. walk so he could overpay roleplayers like gordon and cv.

KungFuJoe
02-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Mo Cheeks gets fired, yet McHale and Sampson still have jobs. :facepalm

mr.big35
02-09-2014, 07:17 PM

Sign me up.

the pistons were already solid team during 2003 draft it would not matter who they draft. the player would still be on the bench like darko

senelcoolidge
02-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Mo Cheeks gets fired, yet McHale and Sampson still have jobs. :facepalm

Yet Joe Dumars still has a job. :facepalm

Sonic R
02-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Yet Joe Dumars still has a job. :facepalm

touch

Duderonomy
02-10-2014, 03:14 PM
I Michigan guy came into my work and I mentioned this to him apparently his daughter works in pistons office and said the firing had to do with a "50 game trial period" and the Dumars thinking the team should be in the playoff seeding by this time. That would explain the odd timing, take it for what it's worth.

Rake2204
02-10-2014, 04:00 PM
I Michigan guy came into my work and I mentioned this to him apparently his daughter works in pistons office and said the firing had to do with a "50 game trial period" and the Dumars thinking the team should be in the playoff seeding by this time. That would explain the odd timing, take it for what it's worth.I've also heard owner Tom Gores pushed this move very heavily:

But this move was pushed by Tom Gores, who is in the middle of his third season.

“Our record does not reflect our talent and we simply need a change,” Gores said in a release. “We have not made the kind of progress that we should have over the first half of the season. This is a young team and we knew there would be growing pains, but we can be patient only as long as there is progress. The responsibility does not fall squarely on any one individual, but right now this change is a necessary step toward turning this thing around.

“I still have a lot of hope for this season and I expect our players to step up. I respect and appreciate Maurice Cheeks and thank him for his efforts; we just require a different approach.”

The decision was made last weekend when Gores was in town from his Beverly Hills, Calif.-based private equity firm, Platinum Equity.

Gores and his ownership team were troubled by Cheeks’ game management as evidenced by troublesome fourth-quarter collapses featuring stagnant offense.

The Pistons have one of the youngest rosters in the league, and there was a feeling Cheeks wasn’t inspiring players nor improving skills.

For a coach who was known for player relations, he had several run-ins with Josh Smith. There was the night in Dallas when there was obviously something between him and franchise cornerstone Andre Drummond. Then there was the bench blow-up with backup point guard Will Bynum in Wednesday night’s blowout loss at Orlando.

It probably was a troubling sign early in the season that players said Chauncey Billups was better at explaining concepts than Cheeks. http://www.freep.com/article/20140209/SPORTS03/302090116/detroit-pistons-maurice-cheeks-fired

dd24
02-10-2014, 08:20 PM
I think most Pistons fans weren't that excited with the hiring of Cheeks in the first place. We all knew we had these young bigs, and he probably wouldn't get the most out of them. Joe Dumars doesn't do a good job of hiring coaches. The rumors say the Pistons are very interested in Lionel Hollins. That might be their first smart hire in a long time. He didn't deserve what happened to him in Memphis. I think he could be a guy who could make the most of their front court. If they wanted to take a chance on a guy who is unproven I think they should think about Patrick Ewing. The guy has been trying to get a head coaching job for a while now and nobody will give him a chance. I think he may have even interviewed for the Pistons job over the summer.

NumberSix
02-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Dats fcuk tup

Rake2204
02-10-2014, 08:31 PM
I think most Pistons fans weren't that excited with the hiring of Cheeks in the first place. We all knew we had these young bigs, and he probably wouldn't get the most out of them. Joe Dumars doesn't do a good job of hiring coaches. The rumors say the Pistons are very interested in Lionel Hollins. That might be their first smart hire in a long time. He didn't deserve what happened to him in Memphis. I think he could be a guy who could make the most of their front court. I agree with you here. I was really lukewarm on Cheeks and I think Lionel Hollins could be a great candidate.

bdreason
02-10-2014, 08:31 PM
How does Dumars still have a job?

senelcoolidge
02-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Hollins not interested. Assistant coach will ride out the rest of the season. Dumars needs to go.

sfballa13
02-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Hollins not interested. Assistant coach will ride out the rest of the season. Dumars needs to go.

Actually the exact opposite as reported by Detroit News, Free Press, and ESPN.

Hollins is interested in Detroit and any head coaching job but Gores didnt want to hire a new head coach midway thru the season.

Hollins wasnt even contacted by the Pistons but thanks for trying anyways!

dd24
02-11-2014, 12:37 AM
I'd much rather have the 8th pick in the draft than the 8th seed for the playoffs, so maybe it's a better thing if they don't hire a coach quite yet.