PDA

View Full Version : Jabari Parker last night

Inferno
02-09-2014, 02:18 PM
29 points, 16 rebounds, and 3 blocks :applause:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWBLz6XlujQ

Dude's hype is unfairly disappearing with all of this Joel Embiid talk, but he's still a top 3 prospect :applause:

FKAri
02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Is he good? Can Miami get him?

KendrickPerkins
02-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Hope Miami can get him!

CeltsGarlic
02-09-2014, 02:22 PM
that rebound and dunk was beastly!

HOoopCityJones
02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
He'll be a Laker soon.

Get ready to hang from the ball sack of his FG % for years to come, Beeches.

:pimp:

Milbuck
02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
His hype has diminished a bit because of these stupid, obnoxious little things called "potential" and "ceiling". Even if you're arguably the most offensively skilled player in your class, you're going to get somewhat brushed aside if you're not pure muscle with insane agility and a 44 inch vert. That's just the way it goes.

I could get into a massive rant about why Wiggins is one of the most overrated prospects of all time and Jabari deserves much, much more love, but it's not worth it right now.

Embiid is the real deal though. He looks like a lot more than just potential, he's shown it on the court.

SamuraiSWISH
02-09-2014, 02:25 PM
29 points, 16 rebounds, and 3 blocks :applause:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWBLz6XlujQ

Dude's hype is unfairly disappearing with all of this Joel Embiid talk, but he's still a top 3 prospect :applause:
:applause:

Better than Wiggins. Kind of like a junior mints Durant / Melo type. Extremely skilled.

He's my favorite. The CHI represent.

Inferno
02-09-2014, 02:25 PM
His hype has diminished a bit because of these stupid, obnoxious little things called "potential" and "ceiling". Even if you're arguably the most offensively skilled player in your class, you're going to get somewhat brushed aside if you're not pure muscle with insane agility and a 44 inch vert. That's just the way it goes.

I could get into a massive rant about why Wiggins is one of the most overrated prospects of all time and Jabari deserves much, much more love, but it's not worth it right now.

Embiid is the real deal though. He looks like a lot more than just potential, he's shown it on the court.

Agreed with everything you said :applause:

I wouldn't say Wiggins is that overrated though. He's still putting up 16/6 with only 11 shots per game

SamuraiSWISH
02-09-2014, 02:30 PM

:applause: @ dat truth

My favorite poster since Young X, and sportsjames23 debuted here @ ISH

http://media0.giphy.com/media/GCLlQnV7wzKLu/giphy.gif

Smook A.
02-09-2014, 02:44 PM

Nice post. I do think Wiggins was massively overhyped because of his insane athleticism. What scouts failed to realize is that Wiggins wasn't a great shooter coming out of high school. Jabari, on the other hand, had the better all around game coming out.

Also, it's pretty crazy how the best player on Kentucky isn't the #1 recruit. Joel Embiid is very good and has great potential. He has really impressed me with his nice, smooth post game. Bucks would be lucky to have him

KyrieTheFuture
02-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Number one recruit very rarely ends up being the top pick

Milbuck
02-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Nice post. I do think Wiggins was massively overhyped because of his insane athleticism. What scouts failed to realize is that Wiggins wasn't a great shooter coming out of high school. Jabari, on the other hand, had the better all around game coming out.

Also, it's pretty crazy how the best player on Kentucky isn't the #1 recruit. Joel Embiid is very good and has great potential. He has really impressed me with his nice, smooth post game. Bucks would be lucky to have him
I definitely exaggerated about how overrated Wiggins is in my first comment, but I do think he is to an extent. He's a slasher but has pretty mediocre touch around the rim. He's an insane athlete like you said, but his handles are once again, mediocre. He's got all the physical tools to be an all-time great, but on a deeper level his game is just very flawed. It's nothing he can't fix with a ton of hard work, but I don't know enough about him to know if he'll actually put that work in. Not everyone has the work ethic of MJ, Kobe, Lebron, KD, etc.

The Bucks would definitely be lucky to have Embiid. But I'm almost positive we're going to get shafted in the draft, get like the 4th or 5th pick. It's not a huge deal though, I'll gladly take Exum.

BoutPractice
02-09-2014, 03:01 PM
He's more athletic than given credit for, but he won't get as many shots close to the hoop in the NBA. The midrange game is where he'll thrive. Anytime I see a smaller player play bully ball in college I hope it's not all they've got... in Parker's case however he has all the skills to score from the wing at the next level (and then some), but that's what he needs to focus on. This particular game doesn't tell you anything about his true abilities.

Jameerthefear
02-09-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't want the next Carmelo.

SamuraiSWISH
02-09-2014, 03:04 PM
He don't want you either.

With your glazed donut face looking ass.

fpliii
02-09-2014, 03:05 PM
This.

I'll take Wiggins' potential. I don't have anything against Jabari and was actually higher on him than most before this season started, but you can't ignore those tools. I'm not as high on Embiid as most though, but I'm pretty high on Exum.

That being said, we're not going to get a top 3 pick, so beggars can't be choosers.

Milbuck
02-09-2014, 03:06 PM

:applause:

Jameerthefear
02-09-2014, 03:09 PM

good

mrpibb
02-09-2014, 03:12 PM
This.

I'll take Wiggins' potential. I don't have anything against Jabari and was actually higher on him than most before this season started, but you can't ignore those tools. I'm not as high on Embiid as most though, but I'm pretty high on Exum.

That being said, we're not going to get a top 3 pick, so beggars can't be choosers.

Why not? You play in the West. Eveentually all the tanking teams in the East will have to play each other. The Lakers will be playing against Utah and Sacramento, sure, but there's almost no chance they win against the rest of the teams in our conference.

fpliii
02-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Why not? You play in the West. Eveentually all the tanking teams in the East will have to play each other. The Lakers will be playing against Utah and Sacramento, sure, but there's almost no chance they win against the rest of the teams in our conference.
Hope you're right. :cheers:

Jameerthefear
02-09-2014, 03:16 PM
I don't hate Jabari either. It's just what I see him as. If we draft him I hope he is a different player though.

Shade8780
02-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Ainge was at this game scouting him.

Reef
Although Wiggins's shooting can improve a lot, he's still shooting 37% from 3 as a freshman, which is pretty decent. He's got good form so it should only continue to improve.

Inferno
Ainge was at this game scouting him.

Do you guys want him? :applause:

Shade8780
02-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Do you guys want him? :applause:
If we dont get Embiid, Wiggins or Exum, then sure :D

BIZARRO
02-09-2014, 03:25 PM
I've seen him a lot growing up. I think the thing you don't realize on tape is, he has an extra pop," BC coach Steve Donahue said. "It's 6-8, 235 (pounds). It's an extra quickness that you don't see even in this league, and extra explosiveness."

Anyone who doesn't see this guy's athleticism is high as kite. Athleticism comes in many shapes, forms, sizes; in strength, speed, quickness, agility.

The guy has sick athleticism, and I didn't know it 'til I saw him live either. Live it is very impressive to see his explosiveness.

Leftimage
02-09-2014, 03:27 PM
I really dig Parker, but let's not pretend his ceiling isn't lower than Embiid and Wiggins. Still, seems like a much safer pick than Wiggy at this point.

Inferno
02-09-2014, 03:29 PM
I really dig Parker, but let's not pretend his ceiling isn't lower than Embiid and Wiggins. Still, seems like a much safer pick than Wiggy at this point.

Does he have a lower ceiling than Gerald Green too, then? :confusedshrug:

Qwyjibo
02-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Why do people bring up the Carmelo comparisons as a negative? That's ridiculous and I hate the Knicks so I have no reason to defend him. Sure he's no Lebron or Durant that can carry a team on his own but if you could guarantee me that I could get someone like Carmelo with a top 5 pick in a draft, I'd be thrilled. Some people have some warped expectations when it comes to draft picks.

noob cake
02-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Why do people bring up the Carmelo comparisons as a negative? That's ridiculous and I hate the Knicks so I have no reason to defend him. Sure he's no Lebron or Durant that can carry a team on his own but if you could guarantee me that I could get someone like Carmelo with a top 5 pick in a draft, I'd be thrilled. Some people have some warped expectations when it comes to draft picks.

I'll take Melo over all but 5 players in the league.

Bron
Durant
Healthy CP3
AD
Prime Dwight

This Melo hate has gotten ridiculous.

moe94
02-09-2014, 04:30 PM
I love how people can't praise this dude without knocking down Wiggins. It's hysterical. It's almost like he has no hype of his own.

noob cake
02-09-2014, 04:40 PM
I love how people can't praise this dude without knocking down Wiggins. It's hysterical. It's almost like he has no hype of his own.

Same way that Wigginstans can't prop up Wiggins' supposed potential and God tier athleticism without calling Parker unatheletic.

moe94
02-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Same way that Wigginstans can't prop up Wiggins' supposed potential and God tier athleticism without calling Parker unatheletic.

Except Wiggins athleticism needs no introduction and no one is talking about Parker's lack of athleticism. He's actually a bigger dude and has certain advantages over Wiggins in terms of build.

Parker fans shit on Wiggins nonstop. It's embarrassing for everyone.

Milbuck
02-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Except Wiggins athleticism needs no introduction and no one is talking about Parker's lack of athleticism. He's actually a bigger dude and has certain advantages over Wiggins in terms of build.

Parker fans shit on Wiggins nonstop. It's embarrassing for everyone.
You gotta understand the other side of this though. Jabari's been a monster pretty much this whole season, Wiggins has been thoroughly underwhelming the whole season. But he stills gets the nod over Jabari just because of his athleticism even with glaring weaknesses in his game. It's not that Jabari fans hate Wiggins, it's that Wiggins clearly takes away a lot of Jabari's deserved shine.

In hindsight I was clearly exaggerating about Wiggins' overhype, but can you really deny that he is to an extent overhyped?

Jacks3
02-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Yeah, god forbid you get one of the top 10 or so best players in the world.

Twiens
02-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Melvin Ejim last night- 48 points, 18 boards

moe94
02-09-2014, 04:53 PM
=
In hindsight I was clearly exaggerating about Wiggins' overhype, but can you really deny that he is to an extent overhyped?

College games is different to the NBA so no, I don't think he's being overhyped. People want to give him a chance in an environment that better suits his abilities. In fact, he lost a ton of hype at this point and he's basically at the same level as Parker with Embiid towering over both. Why is he still getting treated like he's a cut above? He's not. :confusedshrug:

fpliii
02-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Kinda OT, but is this Embiid kid the real deal? I've seen him compared to Duncan and Hakeem recently.

noob cake
02-09-2014, 04:56 PM
College games is different to the NBA so no, I don't think he's being overhyped. People want to give him a chance in an environment that better suits his abilities. In fact, he lost a ton of hype at this point and he's basically at the same level as Parker with Embiid towering over both. Why is he still getting treated like he's a cut above? He's not. :confusedshrug:

Let me sum up why Wigginstan thinks that Wiggins is top 2 prospect.

1) Athleticism
2) Potential
3) NBA is more suitable for Wiggins' game. Kansas offense is hindering his offensive output.
4) Embiid is clearly better, hence Wiggins is not the top prospect.

Black and White
02-09-2014, 04:58 PM
I would gladly take Jabari on the Celt's he is a good prospect and has the fundamentals down, Wiggins will require a bit of work, like his ball handling etc, Jabari looks quality.

To Jameer, whats with the Melo comment?? The dude is still a top 10 player in the league.

moe94
02-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Kinda OT, but is this Embiid kid the real deal? I've seen him compared to Duncan and Hakeem recently.

He's the best C prospect since Oden. He better come out this year. No one wants to wait another year of college for dude.

Let me sum up why Wigginstan thinks that Wiggins is top 2 prospect.

1) Athleticism
2) Potential
3) NBA is more suitable for Wiggins' game. Kansas offense is hindering his offensive output.
4) Embiid is clearly better, hence Wiggins is not the top prospect.

You irrationally hate Wiggins and have done so for the longest time, dude. It's comical. I enjoy reading your shit, to be honest because it's so predictable.

Like I said, we'll see what happens. :confusedshrug:

waseem780
02-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Yep , He impacts the game more than anyone else in this draft. His numbers aren't the best but you have to watch him play to know how good he is.

noob cake
02-09-2014, 05:02 PM
He's the best C prospect since Oden. He better come out this year. No one wants to wait another year of college for dude.

You irrationally hate Wiggins and have done so for the longest time, dude. It's comical. I enjoy reading your shit, to be honest because it's so predictable.

Like I said, we'll see what happens. :confusedshrug:

It's okay. I'll be bumping this post a year after the draft.

Search my post history: I've 100% correctly called Davis, MKG, Irving, Williams, Wall, Turner as stars and busts before the draft.

moe94
02-09-2014, 05:04 PM
MKG is a star? Really?

Come on, dude. It's still way way way too early but not yet. Not even remotely close.

A year is too early and you know it, but yeah, I'll eat some crow if that happens. Why not?

noob cake
02-09-2014, 05:05 PM
MKG is a star? Really?

Come on, dude. It's still way way way too early but not yet. Not even remotely close.

A year is too early and you know it, but yeah, I'll eat some crow if that happens. Why not?

Learn to read. Stars and busts.

Leftimage
02-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Does he have a lower ceiling than Gerald Green too, then? :confusedshrug:

I apologize if you weren't graced with the ability to discern between tremendous athleticism & tremendous basketball star potential. Who am I kidding, neither was I, but I've read enough scouting info & seen enough vids to know that Wiggins is no Gerald Greene.

steve
02-09-2014, 05:21 PM

Parker's hype has been diminished because since the conference schedule kicked in, Parker's playing has roundly dropped off a cliff. In the last 11 games (which comprises of all ACC games), he's shooting just under 42% from the field (and this is propped up a great deal by his last two games, before that, he was shooting just under 35% from the field in 9 ACC games). The Virginia game is a perfect example of the kind of player he's going to be matched up against in the NBA in Akil Mitchell (from a defensive stand point) and Parker couldn't do a thing against Mitchell. There are some very legitimate reasons people question exactly what Parker's potential is and the last dozen games are highlighting those concerns.

Milbuck
02-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Yes, he looks like the real deal. Physically, he's a legit 7' 245lbs with a 7'4-5" wingspan. His frame looks very solid, like it can handle the extra muscle he will inevitably add as he progresses in the NBA. He's a great athlete too. He's not Dwight Howard level of explosiveness, but he can get up there and he's an elite athlete in his own right. His fluidity, body control, agility are unreal for his size.

As far as his game is concerned, he's as advanced as they come for his level of experience. He just seems to get it. Defensively and offensively, he gets better every single game and learns new things every minute he's on the court. His post skills are on a level many NBA centers couldn't dream of being on. His defensive impact is steadily improving, I think he had something like 8 blocks in a recent game. Foul trouble is an issue with him, but that will go away with more experience, as he learns what he can and can't get away with.

I don't know about the Hakeem and Duncan comparison though. That's just completely unfair for a college freshman who only started seriously playing basketball in 2011..it's even more unfair than those T-Mac comparisons for Wiggins. The comparisons are based off of his natural skill in the post, his tremendous footwork for his experience, and his incredible feel for the game. He's a two-way player with elite physical and intellectual basketball gifts and that's probably where those comparisons come from. They may not be accurate, but I can see where they come from.

The JKidd Kid
02-09-2014, 05:40 PM

:roll:

Jameerthefear
02-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Melo isn't top 10

steve
02-09-2014, 05:46 PM
People talk about how it might be unfair to compare Embiid to Duncan and Olajuwon but keep in mind neither of them started playing basketball until fairly late as they were both serious about other sports into their teens. Duncan didn't start playing basketball until he was 14 (also important to note, as a freshman, Duncan was a full two years younger than Embiid is now) and Olajuwon didn't start playing until he was 15 (entering college at 18).

BigMacAttack
02-09-2014, 05:46 PM

Can someone explain How Wiggins game is more suited to the NBA? I dont get it.

oarabbus
02-09-2014, 05:50 PM

Something about athleticism and Parker's style of play not lending itself well against longer, stronger NBA defenders. I'm not really sure.

To fpliii, Embiid looks like the real deal. Very, very talented. Great natural instincts, it's scary to look at his footwork, scoring, and passing ability and realize he is a basketball newbie.

steve
02-09-2014, 05:54 PM

Wiggins being more suited for the NBA makes sense in terms of Parker, considering Wiggins has much more defined position going forward being a traditional 3 whereas Parker is probably going to be an undersized 4. Plus Wiggins does things that noticeably translate to the next when you consider his overall athleticism on the wing and his ability as a defender. Embiid is just a tricky player to judge in general and there's a lot less on him in terms of overall information.

GOBB
02-09-2014, 05:59 PM

Huh? Because that is all Embiid is right now. Because if you looked at Wiggins vs ranked teams he has outperformed Embiid. If you looked at his progression from the first game until now? You would see an improvement. How are you going to say potential and ceiling as obnoxious then in the same line say Embiid is the real deal when TRUTHFULLY he is potential and ceiling.

noob cake
02-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Wiggins being more suited for the NBA makes sense in terms of Parker, considering Wiggins has much more defined position going forward being a traditional 3 whereas Parker is probably going to be an undersized 4. Plus Wiggins does things that noticeably translate to the next when you consider his overall athleticism on the wing and his ability as a defender. Embiid is just a tricky player to judge in general and there's a lot less on him in terms of overall information.

The classic Parker is a tweener because he is a SF who can play PF argument.

How about you talk about how Wiggins will be better in the NBA than he is in college from a basketball perspective?

Milbuck
02-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Huh? Because that is all Embiid is right now. Because if you looked at Wiggins vs ranked teams he has outperformed Embiid. If you looked at his progression from the first game until now? You would see an improvement. How are you going to say potential and ceiling as obnoxious then in the same line say Embiid is the real deal when TRUTHFULLY he is potential and ceiling.
Have you been watching Embiid? He is far, FAR more than just potential and ceiling. He's consistently been backing up the hype. Just because he has ridiculous potential and an extremely high ceiling doesn't mean that's all he is. He's shown some incredible things on the court, that he's much more than a news story. He's Kansas' highest impact player.

moe94
02-09-2014, 06:27 PM

You're making it sound like Embiid is raw when that couldn't be further from the truth.

steve
02-09-2014, 06:32 PM
The classic Parker is a tweener because he is a SF who can play PF argument.

How about you talk about how Wiggins will be better in the NBA than he is in college from a basketball perspective?

Because everything I mentioned had nothing to do with basketball? Wiggins already having good defensive fundamentals and superior athleticism to actually take advantage of it isn't basketball related. It's more than possible that Wiggins never quite develops as a well rounded offensive player but he already has skills that will at the very make a useful player in the NBA and those are easily translatable to the NBA right now.

Parker is a bit more of a question mark in terms of how his skill set will translate to the NBA. He's excellent college player but he's shown to have trouble deal with players who have NBA size and athleticism, where he can't get to the spots on offense that he wants to and ends up forcing some pretty heinous looking shots (again I point to his game against Virginia where he was facing a player in Akil Mitchell, who at least on defense, is the kind of player Parker will be faced up a lot in the NBA and he couldn't get anything done against Mitchell). Couple it with the fact that he's really not a good defender guarding either 3s or 4s (and has a tendency to be lazy on defense to boot), it's a lot easier to see how Wiggins will translate at the next level than Parker.

Black and White
02-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Melo isn't top 10

Yes he is, Carmelo is a top 10 player today, get your hater glasses off :facepalm

no pun intended
02-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Surprised he attacked the rim so often in the highlight video, but disappointed that it didn't showcase any of his Tmac-esque jumpshots. That is, unless he didn't do any of those against Boston College.

GOBB
02-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Have you been watching Embiid? He is far, FAR more than just potential and ceiling. He's consistently been backing up the hype. Just because he has ridiculous potential and an extremely high ceiling doesn't mean that's all he is. He's shown some incredible things on the court, that he's much more than a news story. He's Kansas' highest impact player.

Watched him all season. Wiggins has shown incredible things as well. What is your point? Both are going to go 1 and 2 based on potential, upside, ceiling. Embiid could go over Wiggins because he is a big vs Wiggins being a SG/SF.

Wiggins leads the team in scoring, 3rd in rebounds, best perimeter defender (notice you or anyone rarely mention this guess its all "potential") and has shown he can hit from downtown. 37% on the season.

It'll take Embiid a couple years to develop which is expected. He's not stepping into any situation producing. Still raw in terms of a prospect. Hence, potential to be x,y and z and his ceiling (hakeem/duncan given these two players play nothing alike) are often always thrown out. I like Embiid and think he will be a stud in the league. Its all based on potential much like Wiggins.

I would take both over Parker despite Parker defecating on both offensively its not even funny. But the ceiling for Embiid/Wiggins is higher than that of Parker imo.

See how this works? Thanks

Milbuck
02-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Watched him all season. Wiggins has shown incredible things as well. What is your point? Both are going to go 1 and 2 based on potential, upside, ceiling. Embiid could go over Wiggins because he is a big vs Wiggins being a SG/SF.

Wiggins leads the team in scoring, 3rd in rebounds, best perimeter defender (notice you or anyone rarely mention this guess its all "potential") and has shown he can hit from downtown. 37% on the season.

It'll take Embiid a couple years to develop which is expected. He's not stepping into any situation producing. Still raw in terms of a prospect. Hence, potential to be x,y and z and his ceiling (hakeem/duncan given these two players play nothing alike) are often always thrown out. I like Embiid and think he will be a stud in the league. Its all based on potential much like Wiggins.

I would take both over Parker despite Parker defecating on both offensively its not even funny. But the ceiling for Embiid/Wiggins is higher than that of Parker imo.

See how this works? Thanks
Nice attempt, but you're still wrong.

Embiid is only raw relative to his own ceiling and other all-time greats of the past. If we're judging him on a flat standard, to all prospects, he's anything but raw. He's got offensive and defensive instincts, footwork, post-scoring arsenal, and a feel for the game that tons of big men in the NBA would kill for - and it's all on tape if you would just watch it. The guy is not raw. I don't know how that could be more clear. Do you want him to drop 40 points in his next game solely on dream shakes?

GOBB
02-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Nice attempt, but you're still wrong.

Embiid is only raw relative to his own ceiling and other all-time greats of the past. If we're judging him on a flat standard, to all prospects, he's anything but raw. He's got offensive and defensive instincts, footwork, post-scoring arsenal, and a feel for the game that tons of big men in the NBA would kill for - and it's all on tape if you would just watch it. The guy is not raw. I don't know how that could be more clear. Do you want him to drop 40 points in his next game solely on dream shakes?

Wow you even swallowed. Such a feat.