PDA

View Full Version : Now, We All See Why Lebron's Decision Was Such a Big Deal

Foster5k
02-10-2014, 01:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/Foster5k/89ae5ae9-d146-408e-bd11-ceee9a7223fc_zps7d57891a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Foster5k/media/89ae5ae9-d146-408e-bd11-ceee9a7223fc_zps7d57891a.jpg.html)

I remember back, when we all made a big deal about Lebron having a TV special for his decision on where to take his talents.

We jeered him and called him out for being such a drama queen/diva. We thought he was just slapping Cleveland fans in the face with a digital fly swatter as they watched their beloved one speak the unthinkable, "I'm leaving."

TV remotes were snapped, Jerseys were set ablaze, shoes were cut in half, families were torn apart, Dan Gilbert had a mild heart attack, etc.

The cable, radio, and internet waves were felt. A grand tsunami of talking heads, fans, GMs, etc weighing in on the spectacle that had taken place.

Lebron, in one momentous swoop, created a league of haters world wide. Forever now, he would be declared the villain. The scar in Lion King. Darth Vader in Star Wars. The Joker in Batman.

However, what if I said that Lebron was right for what he did. Why?

Look at the landscape of the current NBA. The teams that wanted Lebron. The team that wanted to keep Lebron.

The Cavs are a mess. The Bulls aren't going anywhere. The Knicks, well, are still the Knicks, etc.

Lebron's decision changed the entire landscape of the league. One team, Miami, went on to glory.

By joining Miami, Lebron instantly turned their franchise around, as he would have done with any other.

Miami, seemingly over night, became Captain America from the previous scrawny kid that couldn't even stand up straight.

Lebron was the secrete soldier serum. He injected his might, his will, his talents to South beach.

The league hasn't been the same since.

Yes, Lebron's TV special was necessary.

It was that important.

Joyner82reload
02-10-2014, 01:54 PM
And at the end of the day, if Durant continues his ascendance, and seizes the throne becoming the best player in the league winning a ring this year while turning OKC into a dynasty over the next 10 years, LeBron James will be viewed as a total failure. Durant would have succeeded where LeBron simply couldn't, and LeBron would be seen as having only won a title due to ring chasing and Durant being a kid not yet in his prime.

zoom17
02-10-2014, 01:56 PM
And at the end of the day, if Durant continues his ascendance, and seizes the throne becoming the best player in the league winning a ring this year while turning OKC into a dynasty over the next 10 years, LeBron James will be viewed as a total failure. Durant would have succeeded where LeBron simply couldn't, and LeBron would be viewed as having only won a title due to Durant being a kid and not yet in his prime.

:facepalm

Xsatyr
02-10-2014, 01:56 PM
And at the end of the day, if Durant continues his ascendance, and seizes the throne becoming the best player in the league winning a ring this year while turning OKC into a dynasty over the next 10 years, LeBron James will be viewed as a total failure. Durant would have succeeded where LeBron simply couldn't, and LeBron would be viewed as having only won a title due to Durant being a kid and not yet in his prime.

Nailed it.

Mr Exlax
02-10-2014, 02:01 PM
And at the end of the day, if Durant continues his ascendance, and seizes the throne becoming the best player in the league winning a ring this year while turning OKC into a dynasty over the next 10 years, LeBron James will be viewed as a total failure. Durant would have succeeded where LeBron simply couldn't, and LeBron would be seen as having only won a title due to ring chasing and Durant being a kid not yet in his prime.

OK quick question. How many losing seasons and high draft picks did Seattle/OKC have after they drafted Durant. Then, how many did the Cavs have after drafting LeBron?

KyleKong
02-10-2014, 02:03 PM

That's not a fair assumption. LeBron never had players like Ibaka, Westbrook, and Harden when he was with Cleveland.

OKC had so many elite players they had to trade one away.

Real Men Wear Green
02-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Yes, Lebron's TV special was necessary.
No it wasn't. If he never does it they don't win any less championships and he doesn't catch nearly as much hatred. It was a bad idea, a fact James himself has acknowledged. By making this thread you are effectively defending the value of horse manure after the horse himself has walked off because he didn't like the smell.

TheMarkMadsen
02-10-2014, 02:08 PM
OK quick question. How many losing seasons and high draft picks did Seattle/OKC have after they drafted Durant. Then, how many did the Cavs have after drafting LeBron?

Durant missed the playooffs his first 2 years, same as Lebron

nightprowler10
02-10-2014, 02:10 PM
By making this thread you are effectively defending the value of horse manure after the horse himself has walked off because he didn't like the smell.
:applause:

orange_chicken
This you're talking about is a manufactured superstar that was declared king right when he 1st step foot in the NBA. He choked countless times in the playoffs but gets no blame at all by the media who pointed fingers at his teammates instead. Even after his playoff failures he still the NBA's goldenboy and the only player to have his 'decision' televised. He left cleveland to join 2 of the top superstars in the league in addition to a later 3 point clutch shooter in Ray Allen the following year and won with such great talents around him then the media declared him the best player in the world. With such great talents around him his flaws were covered and he got so much pressure off him while the media and his stans started labeling him 'clutch'. Yeah Lebron's decision was such a big deal it had to do with the league being rigged with a prewritten storyline already. Its more like WWF, Hogan left so WWF had to create another superstar in Stone Cold so the business won't die.

gts
No it wasn't. If he never does it they don't win any less championships and he doesn't catch nearly as much hatred. It was a bad idea, a fact James himself has acknowledged. By making this thread you are effectively defending the value of horse manure after the horse himself has walked off because he didn't like the smell.:applause:

Joyner82reload
02-10-2014, 02:14 PM

2007 Seattle won 31 games and the 2 best players were Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis. Both players were traded during the offseason. Durant has NO HELP in 2008 or 2009.

The starters on that 2008 team were
Earl Watson
Durant(rookie)
Jeff Green(rookie)
36 year old Kurt Thomas
Chris Wilcox

The top 3 bench players were
Johan Petro(rookie)
Damien Wilkins
Nick Collison

You take Durant off of that team, and that's UNQUESTIONABLY the worst team in NBA history.

The 2004 Cavs had Big Z, who was an all star, Boozer who was averaging 16/11

Hell Ricky Davis was better than anyone on that 2008 Sonics roster outside of Durant

Quickening
02-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Didn't Lebrons decision raise millions for kids, and people are worried about the feelings of a few basketball fans, them priorities, grow the fck up :lol :applause:

Im Still Ballin
02-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Give it a break joyner

#realtalk

Real Men Wear Green
02-10-2014, 02:19 PM
Didn't Lebrons decision raise millions for kids, and people are worried about the feelings of a few basketball fans, them priorities, grow the fck up :lol :applause:
James can do a million different things to raise money. He didn't have to make himself the most despised man in his home state. I don't think he's a bad guy, I'd love to have him on my team but he clearly made an error in judgment, an error he himself has acknowledged, so why even argue over it?

Foster5k
02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
No it wasn't. If he never does it they don't win any less championships and he doesn't catch nearly as much hatred. It was a bad idea, a fact James himself has acknowledged. By making this thread you are effectively defending the value of horse manure after the horse himself has walked off because he didn't like the smell.
Real Men Wear Green, this is where we differ. I'm pretty sure I can persuade you to my ways of thought.

You see, sometimes, in life, one's first reaction is the correct one. Lebron only remitted because it seemed every person, with two cents, were giving some type of psychoanalysis on why he did it.

Many people, in history, have done things and then later said they wish they had not, to only later wish they had stayed with their first gut instinct, in the first place.

For example, even one of the greatest minds, in human history, Albert Einstein, said he had wish he did not create the so called cosmological constant. He even described it as his greatest blunder.

However, in 1998, the discovery of cosmic acceleration would indeed call for a cosmological constant. Einstein's first instinct was correct.

And so too, after witnessing the landscape of the league in 2014, Lebron was correct.

The TV special was needed.

The impact of his decision was so enormous it needed its own show.

Joyner82reload
02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
That's not a fair assumption. LeBron never had players like Ibaka, Westbrook, and Harden when he was with Cleveland.

Because OKC was sooo title ready in 2012 :rolleyes:

Harden was 22, Ibaka was 22, and Westbrook was 23. Durant's supporting cast absolutely shit the bed in the Finals and were the sole reason OKC lost, along with Battier/Miller's red hot shooting. The fact that series was so close, is an absolute tribute to 23 year old Durant because LeBron's supporting cast absolutely torched OKC's.

And FWIW, LeBron had a VERY good team around him in 2010. As a matter of fact, that team had NO business losing to that Celtics team and probably should have won the title. But elbow gate happened at the rest is history. At the end of the day, LeBron lost that series for his team. Just like he did in 2011 vs Dallas, 2008 vs Boston and 2007 vs San Antonio.

Quickening
02-10-2014, 02:23 PM
James can do a million different things to raise money. He didn't have to make himself the most despised man in his home state. I don't think he's a bad guy, I'd love to have him on my team but he clearly made an error in judgment, an error he himself has acknowledged, so why even argue over it?

I am not... raising millions for kids> upsetting a few thousand basketball fans.

There is no argument. He gave everything to that franchise, more than they deserved... and he made leaving them into a great thing for a lot of kids, great role model. NBA Dad who actually stays with one woman, and isn't link with cheating or prostitutes.:bowdown:

IncarceratedBob
02-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Don't compare Captain American to the Miami Heat..let me know when Captain America would cheat to get an advantage

orange_chicken
02-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Lebron is the biggest attention seeker

Quickening
02-10-2014, 02:27 PM

Harden was 22, Ibaka was 22, and Westbrook was 23. Durant's supporting cast absolutely shit the bed in the Finals and were the sole reason OKC lost, along with Battier/Miller's red hot shooting. The fact that series was so close, is an absolute tribute to 23 year old Durant because LeBron's supporting cast absolutely torched OKC's.

And FWIW, LeBron had a VERY good team around him in 2010. As a matter of fact, that team had NO business losing to that Celtics team and probably should have won the title. But elbow gate happened at the rest is history. At the end of the day, LeBron lost that series for his team. Just like he did in 2011 vs Dallas, 2008 vs Boston and 2007 vs San Antonio.

Lol at the hypocrisy... gives 3 franchise players on the same team a pass for being 23. Then states Lebron lost the series in 2007 when he was 22 and played on a chitty team.:roll:

orange_chicken
02-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Swat OKC/Miami role players that year then you'll see Lebron shitting his pant again with no Battier/Mike Miller to spread the floor, no Norris Cole to penetrate, no Battier to guard Durant (which we all know Lebron can't). Instead Lebron would get a Perkin who has not offence, an Ibaka who would be forced to come out of the paint but also have limited offence and an unreliable jumpshot, a Sefo who isn't reliable when crucial buckets are needed, a fisher who has no D. So who's Lebron gonna pass the ball to? I mean, we all know we can't score like Kobe or KD.

Lol at the hypocrisy... gives 3 franchise players on the same team a pass for being 23. Then states Lebron lost the series in 2007 when he was 22 and played on a chitty team.:roll:

Solefade
02-10-2014, 02:41 PM

they were favored to win in 2012 and beat the spurs in the WCF...just quit man.

Mr Exlax
02-10-2014, 02:42 PM

So how the hell did they get all those high ass draft picks? That's really what I meant.

Mr Exlax
02-10-2014, 02:44 PM
2007 Seattle won 31 games and the 2 best players were Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis. Both players were traded during the offseason. Durant has NO HELP in 2008 or 2009.

The starters on that 2008 team were
Earl Watson
Durant(rookie)
Jeff Green(rookie)
36 year old Kurt Thomas
Chris Wilcox

The top 3 bench players were
Johan Petro(rookie)
Damien Wilkins
Nick Collison

You take Durant off of that team, and that's UNQUESTIONABLY the worst team in NBA history.

The 2004 Cavs had Big Z, who was an all star, Boozer who was averaging 16/11

Hell Ricky Davis was better than anyone on that 2008 Sonics roster outside of Durant

Sorry I think you're missing my point. I don't too much care about their wins and losses. You glossed over the draft picks part. That's where my point really is. If LeBron could have gotten some good players in Cleveland, like a Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, Jackson, Lamb etc, he could have stayed.

DukeDelonte13
02-10-2014, 02:45 PM
i like how OP thinks that it actually mattered where Lebron decided to play.

Illuminati
02-10-2014, 02:45 PM

LeBron's first season with Cavs: 18 more wins.
Durant's first season with Sea: 11 less wins.

Mr Exlax
02-10-2014, 02:47 PM

My bad. I shouldn't have mentioned the wins and losses. It's more about the draft picks that OKC/Seattle had vs the draft picks that the Cavs had. I think if they would have gotten some of the talented players that OKC has drafted or gotten, LeBron very well could have stayed there.

MASH Transit
02-10-2014, 02:50 PM

He wasn't a good enough teammate to make those around him better. Its no coincidence that literally any player put around Durant regardless of draft position is able to blossom and grow into a productive player, while just about everyone you put next to LBJ is forced to take on a diminished role. And it goes way beyond good drafting and high assist totals. Green, Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, Lamb, Jackson, etc - Durant cultivated the culture in OKC, built it from its foundation, his style of play allows for his teammates to be themselves, and his leadership gives them confidence to take and make shots. These are things LeBron was and continues to be incapable of.

As for the OP? "The Decision" was a positive for LeBron because it delayed when KD would be recognized as the best player in the league. Had it never occurred, Durant wins in 2011 as a 23 year old and LeBron continues on ringless in Cleveland.

Dave3
02-10-2014, 02:52 PM
You know what a false equivalency is right?

He asked about losing seasons under the context of draft picks. You just completely went adjacent to that point with "they both missed the playoffs" as if that answered anything. The fact that Durant missed the playoffs with records of 20-62 and 23-59 is slightly different with regards to draft picks than missing the playoffs while being 35-47 and 42-40.

orange_chicken
02-10-2014, 02:53 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

He wasn't a good enough teammate to make those around him better. Its no coincidence that literally any player put around Durant regardless of draft position is able to blossom and grow into a productive player, while just about everyone you put next to LBJ is forced to take on a diminished role. And it goes way beyond good drafting and high assist totals. Green, Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, Lamb, Jackson, etc - Durant cultivated the culture in OKC, built it from its foundation, his style of play allows for his teammates to be themselves, and his leadership gives them confidence to take and make shots. These are things LeBron was and continues to be incapable of.

As for the OP? "The Decision" was a positive for LeBron because it delayed when KD would be recognized as the best player in the league. Had it never occurred, Durant wins in 2011 as a 23 year old and LeBron continues on ringless in Cleveland.

Solefade

lol this is the funniest shit i've read today. thanks for the good laugh.

or maybe lebron was way better than Durant or he played in the East and was too good to get good draft picks like OKC/Seattle which is more reasonable and more accurate? :rolleyes:

Mr Exlax

He asked about losing seasons under the context of draft picks. You just completely went adjacent to that point with "they both missed the playoffs" as if that answered anything. The fact that Durant missed the playoffs with records of 20-62 and 23-59 is slightly different with regards to draft picks than missing the playoffs while being 35-47 and 42-40.

Nah it wasn't his fault to be honest. Somebody else missed it to. I just really should have left the losing seasons part off cause I didn't too much care about that. You're right. It was about the draft picks.

MASH Transit
02-10-2014, 02:54 PM
My bad. I shouldn't have mentioned the wins and losses. It's more about the draft picks that OKC/Seattle had vs the draft picks that the Cavs had. I think if they would have gotten some of the talented players that OKC has drafted or gotten, LeBron very well could have stayed there.

Westbrook and Harden would not have become All-Stars playing with LeBron. Dude is way too ball dominant, and forces his teammates into being spot up shooters due to his style of play. Plus, personality wise, I think Westbrook and LBJ would clash.

Ibaka came into the league greener than hell, and didn't even make it from overseas until his sophomore season. We all saw how things turned out between a young Boozer, LBJ, and Cleveland.

Mr Exlax
02-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Westbrook and Harden would not have become All-Stars playing with LeBron. Dude is way too ball dominant, and forces his teammates into being spot up shooters due to his style of play. Plus, personality wise, I think Westbrook and LBJ would clash.

Ibaka came into the league greener than hell, and didn't even make it from overseas until his sophomore season. We all saw how things turned out between a young Boozer, LBJ, and Cleveland.

Chief the thing about me, I don't too much care what the next person thinks would happen. I didn't ask how you think they'd play out or anything like that. I was asking about the draft picks. I can't say I agree or disagree with what you think cause I stopped reading. I'm not here bashing Durant or LeBron.

ArbitraryWater
02-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Kay foster now tell us from what article you copied that off

WeGetRing2012
02-10-2014, 03:01 PM
This you're talking about is a manufactured superstar that was declared king right when he 1st step foot in the NBA. He choked countless times in the playoffs but gets no blame at all by the media who pointed fingers at his teammates instead. Even after his playoff failures he still the NBA's goldenboy and the only player to have his 'decision' televised. He left cleveland to join 2 of the top superstars in the league in addition to a later 3 point clutch shooter in Ray Allen the following year and won with such great talents around him then the media declared him the best player in the world. With such great talents around him his flaws were covered and he got so much pressure off him while the media and his stans started labeling him 'clutch'. Yeah Lebron's decision was such a big deal it had to do with the league being rigged with a prewritten storyline already. Its more like WWF, Hogan left so WWF had to create another superstar in Stone Cold so the business won't die.

THIS!

Lebron wasn't the first star to switch teams. Shaq,Kareem, Boston's Big 3, etc.

It was that Lebron was switching to the easiest situation that he could find. I don't feel like typing but ^^^^^^^^

ArbitraryWater
02-10-2014, 03:02 PM

You're right about 2011. But not about the others. Let me ask you this, LeBron played shitty in 2007 vs Spurs&2008 vs Celtics, however, his team was shitty too. You couldnt demand winning from him.

AnaheimLakers24
02-10-2014, 03:06 PM
gay post

Joyner82reload
02-10-2014, 03:07 PM

Let's just talk about LeBron in the 2007 Finals

Game 1: 14/7/6 6 tovs 25 FG%
Cleveland loses by 9
Game 2: 25/7/6 6 tovs 42.9 FG%
Cleveland loses by 11
Game 3: 25/8/7 5 tovs 39.1 FG%
Cleveland loses by 3
Game 4: 24/6/10 6 tovs 33.3 FG%

Absolutely pathetic. Now onto the 2012 Finals with all of these franchise players

Game 1
Westbrook 27(24 FGA)/8/11 4 tovs 41.7 FG%
Harden 5/0/3 1 tov 33.3 FG%
Ibaka 10/6/1 2 tov 50.0 FG%
OKC wins by 11

Game 2
Westbrook 27(26 FGA)/8/7 1 tov 38.5 FG%
Harden 21/4/2 2 tov 63.6 FG%
Ibaka 7/4/5 2 tov 40 FG%
OKC loses by 4

Game 3
Westbrook 19(18 FGA)/5/4 2 tov 44.4 FG%
Harden 9/6/6 4 tov 20.0 FG%
Ibaka 5/5/2 2 tov 40 FG%
OKC loses by 6

Game 4
Westbrook 43(32 FGA)/7/5 3 tov 62.5 FG%
Harden 8/10/2 4 tov 20.0 FG%
Ibaka 4/7/1 1 tov 50.0 FG%
OKC loses by 6

Game 5
Westbrook 19(20 FGA)/4/6 3 tov 20.0 FG%
Harden 19/4/5 2 tov 45.5 FG%
Ibaka 9/4/2 3 tov 33.3 FG%
OKC loses by 15

Meanwhile Durant averaged 31 ppg on 55 FG% shooting for the entire god damn series.

But let's not stop there
Perkins averaged 4.6 ppg on 42.9 FG% and STARTED
Sefolosha averaged 4.6 ppg on 29.6 FG% and STARTED

Derrick Fisher was literally the 3rd best player for OKC in the 2012 Finals.

Mr Exlax
02-10-2014, 03:09 PM

Cleveland loses by 9
Cleveland loses by 11
Cleveland loses by 3

Absolutely pathetic. Now onto the 2012 Finals with all of these franchise players

Game 1
OKC wins by 11

Game 2
Ibaka 7/4/5 2 tov 40 FG%
OKC loses by 4

Game 3
Ibaka 5/5/2 2 tov 40 FG%
OKC loses by 6

Game 4
OKC loses by 6

Game 5
OKC loses by 15

Meanwhile Durant averaged 31 ppg on 55 FG% shooting for the entire god damn series.

But let's not stop there

My only complaint about Durant that series was that they imployed the "Witness Protection" plan. They stuck Thabo and Harden on LeBron instead of Durant. I hate it. I don't care who it is though. You supposed to be the best then you go and get your ass on the other teams best player. Especially if yall play the same position.

KG215
02-10-2014, 03:11 PM
:oldlol:

You still thinking posting this while ignoring all context is acceptable. Good try, though.

Mr Exlax
02-10-2014, 03:13 PM
:oldlol:

You still thinking posting this while ignoring all context is acceptable. Good try, though.

For what it's worth, everybody missed my point of the post. I didn't too much care about the actual records. It was more about the draft picks.

Joyner82reload
02-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Nah it wasn't his fault to be honest. Somebody else missed it to. I just really should have left the losing seasons part off cause I didn't too much care about that. You're right. It was about the draft picks.

Not really. It's about OKC drafting well and developing players. Which the development part could be due in large part to Durant. Either that or OKC is literally the GOAT team at drafting late talent

Westbrook was #4 overall
Ibaka was #24 overall
Jackson was #24 overall
Jones III was #28 overall
Adams was #12 overall
Lamb was #12 overall

Lamb and Adams were traded for.

Quickening
02-10-2014, 03:15 PM

Cleveland loses by 9
Cleveland loses by 11
Cleveland loses by 3

Game 1
OKC wins by 11

Game 2
Ibaka 7/4/5 2 tov 40 FG%
OKC loses by 4

Game 3
Ibaka 5/5/2 2 tov 40 FG%
OKC loses by 6

Game 4
OKC loses by 6

Game 5
OKC loses by 15

But let's not stop there

Durant shot well... cool, he also did nothing defensively and didn't create chit for team mates. Its far easier to shoot well when you have 3 elite scoring options in your team for the opposition to have to focus their attention on.

Mr Exlax
02-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Not really. It's about OKC drafting well and developing players. Which the development part could be due in large part to Durant. Either that or OKC is literally the GOAT team at drafting late talent

Westbrook was #4 overall
Ibaka was #24 overall
Jackson was #24 overall
Jones III was #28 overall
Adams was #12 overall
Lamb was #12 overall

Lamb and Adams were traded for.

Wasn't Harden a lottery pick too?

Oh and I do feel Scottie Brooks is a better coach than Mike Brown

Joyner82reload
My only complaint about Durant that series was that they imployed the "Witness Protection" plan. They stuck Thabo and Harden on LeBron instead of Durant. I hate it. I don't care who it is though. You supposed to be the best then you go and get your ass on the other teams best player. Especially if yall play the same position.

LeBron rarely guarded Durant in that series as well. It was mainly Battier on Durant. Also Durant was nowhere near the defender in 2012 that he is now.

Joyner82reload
Wasn't Harden a lottery pick too?

Harden was traded for Lamb/Adams so he's excluded.

Mr Exlax
02-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Harden was traded for Lamb/Adams so he's excluded.

He was there before though. That's why I feel he should be included. He was a quality player.

Again though, i'm not here to bash Durant. I don't like him, but I'll never ever deny his talent or greatness. I just feel he was in a much better situation than what LeBron was. I give no fukcs about players leaving franchises though. Shit people change places of employment everyday.

freshperry
02-10-2014, 03:20 PM

I agree with you. Theres no point in arguing... Lebron said himself if he can go back, he would redo "The decision" His intentions were good but he carried it the wrong way which happens a lot of times so theres no point in defending his actions when we know he could've done it better. On another note for the people that constantly bash lebron out of spite... If you dont like the decision, the dont watch it. Oh yeah... you already did. If you dont like him lebron james, dont watch him. Oh yeah, hes the face of the NBA so you're going to see him everywhere eventually if you continue watching deep into the playoffs. If you dont like him, stay mad and watch Miami host a parade year after year.

MASH Transit
02-10-2014, 03:20 PM

The fact is Seattle traded away Rashard Lewis(after a career year) and Ray Allen for cap relief and draft picks because the FO had a vision. They could have kept the two aging veterans, brought Durant along under their tutelage, won 40+ games, developed into a fringe playoff team and perennial second round out. Instead, they realized there's little upside in that and opted for a future fueled by youth-draft picks, cap flexibility, and Kevin Durant.

And so, Ray Allen turned into Jeff Green by way of the 5th pick of the 2007 draft, while Rashard Lewis turned into Kurt Thomas, and then into Serge Ibaka and Cole Aldrich via a future second-round pick and a $9.3 million trade exception.

The fact is, Durant was brought into a situation that was rigged against him in the present, with the confidence that such a baptism would bare fruit in the future. So yea, OKC sucked through KD's first two seasons, but they were supposed to, and now they're one of, if not the best teams in the league, with the leagues best player, because of it.

As for Cleveland?

Joyner82reload
02-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Durant shot well... cool, he also did nothing defensively and didn't create chit for team mates. Its far easier to shoot well when you have 3 elite scoring options in your team for the opposition to have to focus their attention on.

Create for his teammates? You mean the ones that shot 19.6% from 3 for the first 4 games of the Finals? Perkins and Ibaka who were completely helpless and couldn't even catch a pass? Westbrook who is primarily an on the ball slasher?

ya ok but, Durant should have FORCED his teammates to make the shots they were given. As for defense, who the hell was LeBron shutting down? Sefolosha and Perkins? :facepalm

Dave3
02-10-2014, 03:40 PM
The fact is, Durant was brought into a situation that was rigged against him in the present, with the confidence that such a baptism would bare fruit in the future. So yea, OKC sucked through KD's first two seasons, but they were supposed to, and now they're one of, if not the best teams in the league, with the leagues best player, because of it.

As for Cleveland?
Nowhere in my post did I assign blame for that record. It was a point of drafting position, not who carried what team to what record.

JT123
02-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Create for his teammates? You mean the ones that shot 19.6% from 3 for the first 4 games of the Finals? Perkins and Ibaka who were completely helpless and couldn't even catch a pass? Westbrook who is primarily an on the ball slasher?

ya ok but, Durant should have FORCED his teammates to make the shots they were given. As for defense, who the hell was LeBron shutting down? Sefolosha and Perkins? :facepalm
Give it a rest dude. Durant was too much of a ball hog to get his franchise player teammates into a rhythm. Harden would miss a couple shots and Durant would play keep away the rest of the game. :facepalm The Heat had major injuries going on with Wade, Bosh, and Miller and Durant could only win one game? :wtf:
The Thunder were heavily favored by Vegas and every basketball analyst in the country, Durant just failed to come through when his team needed him. You trying to downgrade Durant's teammates to take the spotlight off of him is sickening! Dude choked, plain and simple. :sleeping

JT123
02-10-2014, 03:43 PM
LeBron rarely guarded Durant in that series as well. It was mainly Battier on Durant. Also Durant was nowhere near the defender in 2012 that he is now.
BS. After game 1 Lebron took a lot of heat from the media about not guarding Durant, and from that point on he guarded Durant in every game. Durant meanwhile was guarding Marion Chalmers who proceeded to light him up for 25 points in game 4. :oldlol:

Black and White
02-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Damn OP did some serious slurping, that was painful to read, LeBron is a superhero type now?

MASH Transit
02-10-2014, 03:50 PM
BS. After game 1 Lebron took a lot of heat from the media about not guarding Durant, and from that point on he guarded Durant in every game. Durant meanwhile was guarding Marion Chalmers who proceeded to light him up for 25 points in game 4. :oldlol:

The idea wasn't for him to guard Chalmers, he was meant to cheat off Chalmers, which he did, which is why Chalmers had success.

Joyner82reload
02-10-2014, 03:53 PM

2012 Finals stats

LeBron guarded Durant for 37 FGA
Durant was 19-37 overall and 4-11 from 3

Durant guarded LeBron for 29 FGA
LeBron was 14-29 overall and 1-4 from 3

Yep.

As a matter of fact, since the 2012 season.
LeBron when guarded by Durant
19-45 FG, 2-10 3P
So 40 points on 45 FGA, .89 ppFGA

Durant when guarded by LeBron
41-77 FG, 7-18 3P
So 89 points on 77 FGA, 1.16 ppFGA

Keno
02-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Joyner82 in here making up bullshit and getting roasted.

Joyner82reload
02-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Joyner82 in here making up bullshit and getting roasted.

Not sure if srs. I'm the only one bringing in facts and absolutely destroying these straw man/revisionist history standpoints

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1245412

tmacattack33
02-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Yes, that situation helped the NBA tremendously.

kamil
02-10-2014, 04:05 PM

Anyone else hear the sound of Bron* stans shaking in their boots?

Keno
02-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Not sure if srs. I'm the only one bringing in facts and absolutely destroying these straw man/revisionist history standpoints

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1245412

So what he scored a lot of points.

Using the eye-test, Durant only had impact on game 1, games 2-5 he didn't contribute in any way other than scoring points, was pretty much pointless.

kamil
02-10-2014, 04:12 PM

That was lipstick on a pig. Get real.

JT123
02-10-2014, 04:17 PM
So what he scored a lot of points.

Using the eye-test, Durant only had impact on game 1, games 2-5 he didn't contribute in any way other than scoring points, was pretty much pointless.
This is spot on. In one game Durant had 2 rebounds! :facepalm
A 6'11 dude with a 7'6 wingspan couldn't get more than 2 boards. That is pathetic and there is no excuse for it, especially seeing as the Heat were the worst rebounding team in the league that season.

Keno
02-10-2014, 04:18 PM
A 6'11 dude with a 7'6 wingspan couldn't get more than 2 boards. That is pathetic and there is no excuse for it, especially seeing as the Heat were the worst rebounding team in the league that season.

2 rebounds, wtf? With a 6'11 frame, minimum 6 rebounds should just fall in your hands.

kamil
02-10-2014, 04:20 PM

They still suck @ rebounding.

bukowski81
02-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Real Men Wear Green, this is where we differ. I'm pretty sure I can persuade you to my ways of thought.

You see, sometimes, in life, one's first reaction is the correct one. Lebron only remitted because it seemed every person, with two cents, were giving some type of psychoanalysis on why he did it.

Many people, in history, have done things and then later said they wish they had not, to only later wish they had stayed with their first gut instinct, in the first place.

For example, even one of the greatest minds, in human history, Albert Einstein, said he had wish he did not create the so called cosmological constant. He even described it as his greatest blunder.

However, in 1998, the discovery of cosmic acceleration would indeed call for a cosmological constant. Einstein's first instinct was correct.

And so too, after witnessing the landscape of the league in 2014, Lebron was correct.

The TV special was needed.

The impact of his decision was so enormous it needed its own show.

It was as impactfull as any top player switching teams to join other superstars. Shaq, or any other superstar that has switched teams, didnt make a tv special to announce his decision.

It was a bitch move, end of story.

NumberSix
02-10-2014, 05:37 PM
LeBron injected his secret serum into OP.

KyrieTheFuture
02-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Anyone else hear the sound of Bron* stans shaking in their boots?
Nah we don't have schizophrenia