PDA

View Full Version : Is it a dynasty

moe94
02-10-2014, 09:38 PM
if you never repeat? :coleman:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2013/06/spurs-through-the-years.gif

Serious discussion, no trolling. :no:

Le Shaqtus
02-10-2014, 09:41 PM
They've had mostly the same core players get multiple chips, Parker, Manu, and Duncan won 3 titles together. So I think it counts.

Inferno
02-10-2014, 09:43 PM
If the team largely stays the same and remains dominant for many years, then yes.

Jameerthefear
02-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Yeah

moe94
02-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Kobe/Pau Lakers = dynasty

Duncan/Manu/Parker Spurs = not a dynasty

Milbuck
02-10-2014, 09:47 PM
The dictionary definition of dynasty is "a family of rulers who rule over a country for a long period of time. In basketball terms I would think this means a team that tops the NBA for a long period of time.

The Spurs have been elite for the whole time, but they have not been rulers of the league for more than one year at a time. Their 4 rings are spread over a period of 9 years. That's impressive, but if we go by definition we can't call them a dynasty because the Lakers have been more dominant from the time of that first Spurs chip to right now.

Russell's Celtics were a dynasty. The MJ-Pippen Bulls were a dynasty. The Shaq-Kobe Lakers were arguably a dynasty with 3 rings and 4 finals in 5 years. I don't know if you can classify the Spurs with those dynasties.

CelticBaller
02-10-2014, 09:52 PM
I think so, they've been champions/contenders since Duncan was drafted

red1
02-10-2014, 09:54 PM
absolutely

davehos
02-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Absolutely they are a dynasty.

How many consecutive playoff appearances?
How many consecutive 50+ win seasons?

The nucleus of the team has won multiple championships.

Every club in the league would give their {insert favorite body part here} to have what the Spurs have had.

Since the '94-95 season the Spurs are the only NBA team to have over 1000 wins.

navy
02-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Yes. Close enough.

moe94
02-10-2014, 09:57 PM
So you think the bad boys are more of a 'dynasty' than the 80s celtics?

:coleman:

You have brought my argument to a halt. :biggums:

Black and White
02-10-2014, 09:58 PM
This Spurs team is def a dynasty, they have been contenders for ages

The JKidd Kid
02-10-2014, 10:02 PM
No i always viewed a dynasty as when 1 team dominated the league and won championships for 3 years straight. It doesnt matter if the core changed. If there is a break in time like the Spurs, especially one as long as the Spurs then it just isnt as impressive to me.

Solefade
02-10-2014, 10:02 PM
i would say yes, any team that has as much regular season/playoff success consecutively like the spurs have even in "off years" i would consider a dynasty

spurs = patriots of the nba

DMV2
02-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Even if you exclude their '99 title because Parker and Manu weren't part of that squad, they still managed to get 3 titles in a span of 5 years ('03, '05 and '07), which makes them a dynasty.

moe94
02-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Russell's Celtics were a dynasty. The MJ-Pippen Bulls were a dynasty. The Shaq-Kobe Lakers were arguably a dynasty with 3 rings and 4 finals in 5 years. I don't know if you can classify the Spurs with those dynasties.

Lakers did a 3peat, dude. That's a dynasty. Nothing arguable about it.

TheMarkMadsen
02-10-2014, 10:07 PM
So you think the bad boys are more of a 'dynasty' than the 80s celtics?

:coleman:

:facepalm

those Celtics teams played in 5 finals and won more titles of course they are more of dynasty.

big difference between that and winning the finals in 99 then being bounced in the first round the next year

or winning the finals in 03 and being bounced in the 2nd round round the next year

SCdac
02-10-2014, 10:09 PM
http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2013/06/11/21/36/u2byF.St.56.jpeg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/adrumaddict/San-Antonio-Spurs.jpg

4 championships in 9 years, phenomenal team record, definitely a dynasty :bowdown:

TheMarkMadsen
02-10-2014, 10:16 PM
http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2013/06/11/21/36/u2byF.St.56.jpeg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/adrumaddict/San-Antonio-Spurs.jpg

4 championships in 9 years, phenomenal team record, definitely a dynasty :bowdown:

:confusedshrug:

BigMacAttack
02-10-2014, 10:18 PM
They are a dynasty.

SamuraiSWISH
02-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Hell no. Back to back isn't even a dynasty. You have to win at least 3 straight, or if a team won back to back, didn't win a year, then won it the next is the only exception where it could be considered a dynasty. The 2000s Spurs are no dynasty. Consistently very good, same with the Mavericks in the 2000s.

tpols
02-10-2014, 10:29 PM
No i always viewed a dynasty as when 1 team dominated the league and won championships for 3 years straight. It doesnt matter if the core changed. If there is a break in time like the Spurs, especially one as long as the Spurs then it just isnt as impressive to me.
they called scavenger chips.. :pimp:

SamuraiSWISH
02-10-2014, 10:32 PM
they called scavenger chips.. :pimp:
I coined that term, bro. haha

That's what the Spurs do. If they're as great as their fan base is making them out to be on ISH, a back to back would've at least have been in the cards there. They didn't even do that ... let a lone win three straight.

Defending the throne, staying on the court repeatedly is more difficult to do than winning it every couple three years. Staying on top is a true testament to greatness.

moe94
02-10-2014, 10:33 PM
Hell no. Back to back isn't even a dynasty. You have to win at least 3 straight, or if a team won back to back, didn't win a year, then won it the next is the only exception where it could be considered a dynasty. The 2000s Spurs are no dynasty. Consistently very good, same with the Mavericks in the 2000s.

LMFAO @ comparing the Spurs to the Mavs

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/276/files/2014/02/cant-reach.gif

tpols
02-10-2014, 10:34 PM
I coined that term, bro. haha

That's what the Spurs do. If they're as great as their fan base is making them out to be on ISH, a back to back would've at least have been in the cards there. They didn't even do that ... let a lone win three straight.
you mightve:oldlol: i def picked it up off here, and it makes sense.

BigMacAttack
02-10-2014, 10:36 PM

:oldlol:

SamuraiSWISH
02-10-2014, 10:38 PM

Spurs are obviously better than the Mavericks. I'm referring to the arbitrary winning percentage arguments as evidence of a "dynasty" ... Not saying the Mavericks were as good as the Spurs. 3 rings to 1 ring prove the point, obviously.

The Mavericks were contenders the entire decade until 2012. You don't get the label of dynasty if you're not winning consecutive championships, while dominating a league. A dynasty dominates, and wins championships. Plain, and simple.

The Spurs, while consistently very good to great through out the decade, never did that. That has to be accounted for when giving legendary team labels like dynasty.

NumberSix
02-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Dynasty isn't just about winning the title a certain amount of times. It's about winning titles + also being a consistent contender.

rmt
02-10-2014, 10:44 PM
:facepalm

those Celtics teams played in 5 finals and won more titles of course they are more of dynasty.

big difference between that and winning the finals in 99 then being bounced in the first round the next year

or winning the finals in 03 and being bounced in the 2nd round round the next year

So Bird's team which went to 5 Finals and won 3 is more of a dynasty than Duncan's team which went to 5 Finals and won 4? Somehow Bird never gets knocked for not repeating but Duncan constantly does.

Duncan tore the lateral meniscus in his left knee and eventually had it surgically repaired. That might have a little bit to do with why the Spurs were bounced in the first round.

Well, you know, gotta live with team mates who have brain fuzzes like fouling Dirk when they're up by 3 and having 8 turnovers in NBA Finals game 6. Imagine if Manu doesn't have these mess-ups, Spurs would probably be sitting on a 3-peat (05, 06, 07) and Duncan probably 6 rings and 5 FMVPs. We wouldn't be having this discussion now, would we? Lucky you - but gotta take the good with the bad - and there's been a lot of good being a Spurs fan especially for the past 16 years.

buddha
02-10-2014, 10:45 PM
somebody should add some white lines to that gif in OP and make it 3d. it has strong potential.

http://www.wikitree.co.kr/webdata/editor/201402/06/img_20140206103345_abc4d717.gif

http://i.imgur.com/8VqilLi.gif

SamuraiSWISH
02-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Dynasty isn't just about winning the title a certain amount of times. It's about winning titles + also being a consistent contender.
No it isn't. It's plain, and simple about winning championships. That's the end game. No one gets points, or hardware for "contending" or "trying" ... every year there is multiple contenders. Usually consistently, too. Are the 2008 - 2012 Celtics a dynasty?

Jacks3
02-10-2014, 10:48 PM
never even made back-to-back finals. hell no.

Milbuck
02-10-2014, 10:52 PM
No, it's actually not. It is absolutely about championships. If you're not winning it all, you're not the best. And the definition of dynasty is ruling over something for a long period of time, being the BEST for a long period of time. Never repeating as champions, with 4 chips in 15 years is not ruling over the league or being the best for a long period of time. It's being consistently elite with a few seasons of being the best.

The Spurs organization in the past 20 years have proved themselves to be one of the classiest, most well organized, elite organizations in the league. The Timmy-Tony-Manu-Pop core will be remembered for a long time. But they are not a dynasty. Just consistently elite.

SamuraiSWISH
02-10-2014, 10:54 PM
And the definition of dynasty is ruling over something for a long period of time, being the BEST for a long period of time.
Exactly. The literal definition. NumberSix is a moron of the first degree.

buddha
02-10-2014, 10:55 PM
I would say the Spurs had a dynasty though. I mean they won 3 championships in a 5 year period. That's better then repeating and 1 notch below a 3 peat. Then when you consider they won 4 'ships in a 9 year period? that's pretty rare and dominant. I'd consider them a dynasty for sure.

NumberSix
02-10-2014, 10:56 PM
No it isn't. It's plain, and simple about winning championships. That's the end game. No one gets points, or hardware for "contending" or "trying" ... every year there is multiple contenders. Usually consistently, too. Are the 2008 - 2012 Celtics a dynasty?
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying.

I'm saying that you can't be a dynasty if you're a non-factor in the years you don't win.

If the heat win this year, you wouldn't say the Heat from 2005-2014 were a dynasty. That would be a 9 season stretch where they went to 5 finals and won 4 championships. The problem though is that there is a gap of 4 years where they were pretty much irrelevant.

What I'm saying is for it to be a dynasty, you have to win titles, but in between titles, you have to still be contending.

iamgine
02-10-2014, 10:58 PM
In many cases, whether a team has achieved a dynasty is often subjective, and can be a frequent topic of debate among sports fans.

San Antonio Spurs of 1999 to 2008 led by Tim Duncan. (4 NBA championships (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007) in 9 seasons) are considered a dynasty by some, but not by others because they did not win consecutive titles.

SamuraiSWISH
02-10-2014, 10:58 PM
No the Shaq / Kobe Lakers are a dynasty because they won 3 straight chips. The Jordan Bulls are a dynasty because they won 3 straight chips, then came back to win 3 more straight chips. The Bad Boy Pistons are an all time great team but they're not a dynasty even though they won back to back.

NumberSix
02-10-2014, 10:59 PM
No, it's actually not. It is absolutely about championships. If you're not winning it all, you're not the best. And the definition of dynasty is ruling over something for a long period of time, being the BEST for a long period of time. Never repeating as champions, with 4 chips in 15 years is not ruling over the league or being the best for a long period of time. It's being consistently elite with a few seasons of being the best.

The Spurs organization in the past 20 years have proved themselves to be one of the classiest, most well organized, elite organizations in the league. The Timmy-Tony-Manu-Pop core will be remembered for a long time. But they are not a dynasty. Just consistently elite.
You agreeing with my exact point. In between titles, there where times when they weren't really contending.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
02-10-2014, 11:00 PM
ITT mid90s Rockets are more of a dynasty than Birds Celtics:roll: :roll: :roll:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-10-2014, 11:02 PM
No the Shaq / Kobe Lakers are a dynasty because they won 3 straight chips. The Jordan Bulls are a dynasty because they won 3 straight chips, then came back to win 3 more straight chips. The Bad Boy Pistons are an all time great team but they're not a dynasty even though they won back to back.

What's your take on the 80's Lakers? They won b2b TWICE in one decade.

NumberSix
02-10-2014, 11:03 PM
So you're definition of dynasty is simply = 3peat?

What about the Magic Lakers? That's not a dynasty? They won titles and in the years they didn't, they were still top contenders.

NumberSix
02-10-2014, 11:04 PM
:wtf:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-10-2014, 11:09 PM
:wtf:

I'm REALLY tired right now. Lets just pretend I didn't say that. :coleman:

Anyway, they did go to like 8 finals in 10 years...they gotta be some sorta dynasty.

NumberSix
02-10-2014, 11:13 PM
I'm REALLY tired right now. Lets just pretend I didn't say that. :coleman:

Anyway, they did go to like 8 finals in 10 years...they gotta be some sorta dynasty.
Of course they were a dynasty. They wouldn't be if they were irrelevant between their title years though.

SamuraiSWISH
02-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Dynasty. They had a name for christ sakes "Showtime Lakers".

moe94
02-10-2014, 11:18 PM

Jail Blazers confirmed dynasty.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-10-2014, 11:21 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2fsuzb3QP1qcmnsoo1_r1_500.gif
:cheers:

NumberSix
02-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Bad Boy Pistons = not a dynasty though.

:roll:

STATUTORY
02-10-2014, 11:31 PM

What name should this heat team be given?

moe94
02-10-2014, 11:32 PM

Got em

SamuraiSWISH
02-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Well that was backfire statement haha, making myself look stupid. Props to moe94, and Number Six.

Well Magic / Kareem Lakers won '85, then '87 + '88. As I said that fit my pseudo three peat minimum requirement of being a dynasty that I described a few posts back. Not as full fledged, but at least they won back to backs at the least. As I said, it's harder to defend the throne.

Miami Cheat doe

TheMarkMadsen
02-10-2014, 11:34 PM

First there was Showtime, then there was free agent time

moe94
02-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Miami cHeat sticks

What about Frobe/Shaq Lakers?

CelticBaller
02-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Asteriks

TheMarkMadsen
02-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Miami cHeat sticks

3peat Lakers.

ralph_i_el
02-10-2014, 11:58 PM
They've won 50 games every year with Duncan, even the 66 game season.

If you don't think they're a dynasty with that+rings just GTFO

NumberSix
02-11-2014, 12:00 AM
Well that was backfire statement haha, making myself look stupid. Props to moe94, and Number Six.

Well Magic / Kareem Lakers won '85, then '87 + '88. As I said that fit my pseudo three peat minimum requirement of being a dynasty that I described a few posts back. Not as full fledged, but at least they won back to backs at the least. As I said, it's harder to defend the throne.

Miami Cheat doe
Not really a backfire at all because there is no definitive criteria for a dynasty. We all kinda just know it when we see it.

NumberSix
02-11-2014, 12:01 AM
The deciders. :roll:

Heavincent
02-11-2014, 12:04 AM
Asteriks

That title is reserved for the spygate era Patriots.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/rf/image_r/Boston/2011-2020/2013/03/20/BostonGlobe.com/Sports/Images/storya.r.jpg

CelticBaller
02-11-2014, 12:06 AM
That title is reserved for the spygate era Patriots.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/rf/image_r/Boston/2011-2020/2013/03/20/BostonGlobe.com/Sports/Images/storya.r.jpg
Clear roughing the passer

Solefade
02-11-2014, 12:09 AM
winning a 3peat or consistent dominance over a decade (with at least 3-4 championships) i would consider that a dynasty

Heavincent
02-11-2014, 12:09 AM
Clear roughing the passer

???

He still had the ball. Not to mention that was before the new ***** rules were put in place.

SamuraiSWISH
02-11-2014, 12:11 AM
???

He still had the ball. Not to mention that was before the new ***** rules were put in place.
In today's soft ass, streamlined, fantasy sports centric NFL, that IS ROUGHING the passer.

Heavincent
02-11-2014, 12:16 AM
In today's soft ass, streamlined, fantasy sports centric NFL, that IS ROUGHING the passer.

Yeah :oldlol:

Seahawks defense kicking the shit out of the Broncos fancy pants offense shows that it's still a defensive league though.

NumberSix
02-11-2014, 12:19 AM
Yeah :oldlol:

Seahawks defense kicking the shit out of the Broncos fancy pants offense shows that it's still a defensive league though.
Seattle is a different kind of defense though. They're not like an old school defense that stops the run and pressures the QB. You can run against them more than you can against a team like SF.

SamuraiSWISH
02-11-2014, 12:20 AM
Seattle is a different kind of defense though. They're not like an old school defense that stops the run and pressures the QB. You can run against them more than you can against a team like SF.
Yup. It's all in the secondary for Seattle. It's a passing league now, that's why they locked up the best offense / passing attack in Manning's Broncos. Dude's claiming it was as great of a defense as the '85 Bears, and 2000 Ravens out their damn minds though.

Heavincent
02-11-2014, 12:23 AM

Seattle gets plenty of pressure on the QB. As great as their secondary is, they get a little bit too much credit at times. Peyton was under pressure all night.

They are old school in the sense that they hit really ****ing hard. Those little YAC plays that worked all year for the Broncos were rendered useless because Seattle's defense simply doesn't miss tackles. How many times did we see Broncos receivers take little 3 yard passes for huge gains during the regular season? Seattle was having none of that.

SamuraiSWISH
02-11-2014, 12:27 AM
Seattle gets plenty of pressure on the QB. As great as their secondary is, they get a little bit too much credit at times. Peyton was under pressure all night.

They are old school in the sense that they hit really ****ing hard. Those little YAC plays that worked all year for the Broncos were rendered useless because Seattle's defense simply doesn't miss tackles.
Yea, they hit and tackle old school style. 49ers linebackers play this way too. Solid fundamentals, wrap up the ball carrier. It's a lost art, even in the college game. Kids just lead with the shoulder hoping for the big highlight hit, instead of slamming into them and wrapping up.

It hurts more which plays psychologically on the offense, and they also wrap them up to end the play. That's how it's supposed to be done. I saw quite a few Bronco receivers lingering in pain during the Super Bowl from hits.

CelticBaller
02-11-2014, 12:27 AM
Lol I was trolling

NumberSix
02-11-2014, 12:28 AM
Yup. It's all in the secondary for Seattle. It's a passing league now, that's why they locked up the best offense / passing attack in Manning's Broncos. Dude's claiming it was as great of a defense as the '85 Bears, and 2000 Ravens out their damn minds though.
I don't know about better or worse. It's just a different kind of defense suited to today's game. The 85 Bears defense would not be as good in today's game as Seattle's and vice versa.

CelticBaller
02-11-2014, 12:29 AM
2002 Bucs>>

AintNoSunshine
02-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Sick gif

IMO and probably most people's, it's not. Neither is a repeat. 3-peat is what I consider a dynasty.

fpliii
02-11-2014, 12:50 AM
3 titles with the same core is a dynasty IMO.

gts
02-11-2014, 01:06 AM
I've got the Spurs as a Dynasty.. same coach same core, basically at the of the conference year after year...

If they'd changed the rosters core group or won titles with a different coach then I'd say no because of the lack of at least one back to back titles but damn they've been good for so long and they have brought the hardware home

backb0ard
02-11-2014, 03:26 AM
Spurs should have gotten the three peat '05-'07 but then they ran into Dirk in his prime. Spurs would have beaten that Heat team easily.

Nevertheless, Spurs are still a dynasty, but they are at the borderline.

Milbuck
02-11-2014, 03:29 AM
Spurs should have gotten the three peat '05-'07 but then they ran into Dirk in his prime. Spurs would have beaten that Heat team easily.

Nevertheless, Spurs are still a dynasty, but they are at the borderline.
Good god 3 years of lurking with an account? Or alt?

Also, agreed. Can't see that Spurs team collapsing the way the Mavs did. At the very least they would've done a better job containing Wade. It would've been great to see Bowen guard Wade.