PDA

View Full Version : How does Durant losing this year affect his legacy?

NumberSix
02-11-2014, 07:11 PM

red1
02-11-2014, 07:12 PM
durant? legacy?

http://replygif.net/i/747.gif

Dr. Ice
02-11-2014, 07:15 PM
What legacy?

Illuminati
02-11-2014, 07:15 PM
If he loses another series where they are the favorites, he can't crack top 10 all-time.

Solefade
02-11-2014, 07:16 PM
tony romo of the NBA

Boarder Patrol
02-11-2014, 07:34 PM
This is like a "Worst Posters: Greatest Hits" thread.

He'd only be affected if he lost to LeBron since that would make the 'rivalry' a bit one-sided. Even if he did though, LeBron is the favorite and Durant still has time, so not too bad.

navy
02-11-2014, 07:34 PM
What legacy?

NumberSix
02-11-2014, 07:36 PM

He'd only be affected if he lost to LeBron since that would make the 'rivalry' a bit one-sided. Even if he did though, LeBron is the favorite and Durant still has time, so not too bad.
Why is LeBron the favorite? I thought Durant was the best player in the world? :confusedshrug:

Black and White
02-11-2014, 07:37 PM
He is still young so I don't see it affecting anything

plowking
02-11-2014, 07:37 PM
I find it funny he gets no backlash for losing against the Heat in 2012 despite being betting favorites, and favorites among the media.

Solefade
02-11-2014, 07:39 PM

lol this is so contradictory of what everyone has been saying the past month

plowking
02-11-2014, 07:39 PM

Its funny how just about everything you say is hypocritical and contradicts that of your previous posts on here.

You literally can't think for yourself.

Black and White
02-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Its funny how just about everything you say is hypocritical and contradicts that of your previous posts on here.

You literally can't think for yourself.

What are you on about, did LeBrons finals against the Spurs (when he was young) affect anything? No.

So whats your point?

NumberSix
02-11-2014, 07:41 PM
I find it funny he gets no backlash for losing against the Heat in 2012 despite being betting favorites, and favorites among the media.
That's because nobody actually cares about Durant or has any expectations of him. Hes just the guy we pretend is LeBron's rival to make things seem more interesting.

Solefade
02-11-2014, 07:42 PM

2007 seems to be a big chip on lebron's resume according to a lot of people on here and he wasn't even favored to win.

if lebron was getting criticized when he was young then it's only fair we criticize KD too unless we're just simply agreeing that lebron >>>>> KD

NumberSix
02-11-2014, 07:43 PM
What are you on about, did LeBrons finals against the Spurs (when he was young) affect anything? No.

So whats your point?
Hey, I've always said KD making the finals and losing is an achievement, not a failure. If you can't win, 2nd place is the next best thing. It's better than the other 28 teams did.

Black and White
02-11-2014, 07:44 PM
2007 seems to be a big chip on lebron's resume according to a lot of people on here and he wasn't even favored to win.

if lebron was getting criticized when he was young then it's only fair we criticize KD too unless we're just simply agreeing that lebron >>>>> KD

I don't see the 2007 finals as affecting him at all, he was on a crappy team and the Spurs were clearly better.

But I will say this, if KD crashes and burns putting up a massive choke job, then there is a point.

plowking

So whats your point?

You're exactly one of the people that love to bring it up. The fact you brought that one up in particular shows you knew that you were guilty of it. :oldlol:

Not to mention you said you didn't consider Lebron the best until about 2011, yet you're already crowning Durant. Hypocrite, based on your own definitions and standards. :oldlol:

Solefade
Hey, I've always said KD making the finals and losing is an achievement, not a failure. If you can't win, 2nd place is the next best thing. It's better than the other 28 teams did.

naw doe, being eliminated in first round > losing in the finals because your finals record isn't tarnished :cheers:

Solefade
02-11-2014, 07:45 PM
I don't see the 2007 finals as affecting him at all, he was on a crappy team and the Spurs were clearly better.

But I will say this, if KD crashes and burns putting up a massive choke job, then there is a point.

lettuce be real, how many times have you seen this post:

"lebron is .500 in the finals, he's 2-2 he'll never be GOAT"

"lebron got swept in the finals in 2007, kobe > lebron"

NumberSix
02-11-2014, 07:45 PM
naw doe, being eliminated in first round > losing in the finals because your finals record isn't tarnished :cheers:
Well, at least Melo has that going for him.

Black and White
02-11-2014, 07:46 PM

I wouldn't go as far as calling it an achievement but making it that far does prove his worth, he needs to win tho

Black and White
02-11-2014, 07:47 PM
lettuce be real, how many times have you seen this post:

"lebron is .500 in the finals, he's 2-2 he'll never be GOAT"

"lebron got swept in the finals in 2007, kobe > lebron"

I have seen that yes, but do you guys take those posts seriously???? Kobe has lost in the finals too.

Illuminati
02-11-2014, 07:48 PM

But when LeBron lost when he was 23 years old, it was fair to call him ringless, choker, right? Hypocrites on ISH is at an all time high.

Black and White
You're exactly one of the people that love to bring it up. The fact you brought that one up in particular shows you knew that you were guilty of it. :oldlol:

Not to mention you said you didn't consider Lebron the best until about 2011, yet you're already crowning Durant. Hypocrite, based on your own definitions and standards. :oldlol:

You must be quoting the wrong poster because I said that he has been the clear cut best since 2010 onwards (until this season of course), before 2010 he was always in the discussion, but it was clear from 2010

NumberSix
I wouldn't go as far as calling it an achievement but making it that far does prove his worth, he needs to win tho
Of course its a fcuking achievement. It's 2nd place in the tournament.

In what fcuking world is 2nd place a stain on your legacy, but 3rd, 5th, 7th or not even placing is cool?

Solefade
02-11-2014, 07:49 PM
I have seen that yes, but do you guys take those posts seriously???? Kobe has lost in the finals too.

and it's all relevant in all-time discussions with lebron and kobe...so it should be accounted for when it comes to Durant too

Black and White
02-11-2014, 07:50 PM
But when LeBron lost when he was 23 years old, it was fair to call him ringless, choker, right? Hypocrites on ISH is at an all time high.

It was the extreme haters using that as an arguement, that finals did not affect him

Solefade
02-11-2014, 07:52 PM
lebron gets shitted on all the time for losing 2007 finals when he was 23 when really it should be regarded as a huge over-achieving accomplishment

we gotta stay consistent doe

Black and White
02-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Of course its a fcuking achievement. It's 2nd place in the tournament.

In what fcuking world is 2nd place a stain on your legacy, but 3rd, 5th, 7th or not even placing is cool?

I said it was good, but do you think Durant would care about 2nd if he lost?

Black and White
02-11-2014, 07:55 PM
lebron gets shitted on all the time for losing 2007 finals when he was 23 when really it should be regarded as a huge over-achieving accomplishment

we gotta stay consistent doe

It depends on who you are listening to, rational fans don't hold that against him.

KG215
02-11-2014, 07:56 PM
If he loses another series where they are the favorites, he can't crack top 10 all-time.
So I guess that means LeBron can't be top 10 all-time since he lost playoff series in 2009, 2010, and 2011 as the favorite.

And besides last year's loss to the Grizzlies, which you could really argue it was a toss-up once Westbrook got hurt, when has Durant lost a playoff series as the favorite?

PyrrhusX
02-11-2014, 07:56 PM

Not his fault James Harden decided to play like ass.

Love how insecure lebran fans are right now because their favorite player is in decline.

DaSeba5
02-11-2014, 08:00 PM
The hypocrisy is that people bash LeBron for losing series when he was young, but for some reason Durant gets a pass. Like Plowking said, people go against their own standards and beliefs just to bash LeBron.

Black and White
02-11-2014, 08:02 PM
The hypocrisy is that people bash LeBron for losing series when he was young, but for some reason Durant gets a pass. Like Plowking said, people go against their own standards and beliefs just to bash LeBron.

I don't the only real finals loss that you can hold him accountable for is 2011, he wet the bed there, plain and simple, as for 2007, nobody rational will use that

Solefade
02-11-2014, 08:04 PM
So I guess that means LeBron can't be top 10 all-time since he lost playoff series in 2009, 2010, and 2011 as the favorite.

And besides last year's loss to the Grizzlies, which you could really argue it was a toss-up once Westbrook got hurt, when has Durant lost a playoff series as the favorite?

2012 finals? lol

KG215
And I never understood why OKC was hands down the favorites in 2012. I get that they beat a really hot Spurs team but part of that was OKC being about the worst possible match-up for the Spurs and everyone going beserk the last four games of the series. It's almost like everyone sorta forgot Bosh was hurt most of the Boston and Indiana series, and instead, decided to focus on the Heat struggling with those teams instead of acknowledging that, if Bosh was good to go, they should be back to being the best team in the NBA as most regarded them in the regular season until the Spurs went off the last month or so. And it was pretty apparent Bosh was going to be 100% for the Finals when he went for 19 and 8 in game 7 against the Celtics.

Not saying OKC shouldn't have put up a better fight (although all but one of their losses could've gone either way), but you had a young team on the best stage for the first time against a veteran laden team who was back to being the team (with Bosh back and healthy) most considered the odds on favorites to win it all most of the season.

Illuminati

LeBron was only the favorites in 2009 against Orlando, in all his years in Cleveland. LeBron was never the favorites to win against Boston, shits a myth.

And I noticed after I posted, I meant to say lose as the favorites in the Finals. LeBron only lost once as favorites in 2011, Durant lost in 2012 and if he loses again, then he can't crack top 10.

DaSeba5
I don't the only real finals loss that you can hold him accountable for is 2011, he wet the bed there, plain and simple, as for 2007, nobody rational will use that

I agree with you, but they do. People always use 2007 against him. Even people who are usually rational, go against their own beliefs just to bash him. People seem to forget that it's a team sport and that making the Finals alone is an accomplishment.

Solefade
02-11-2014, 08:07 PM

tell that to every goddamn kobetard on ISH then lol

knicksman

its not about that but more like LeBron getting exposed against elite teams. He cant score. Hes just lucky hes in the east with no 50+ win teams. Durant has proven he can produce against the best. So stop comparing LeBron to a wilt clone whose skills are getting exposd come playoff time

KG215
LeBron was only the favorites in 2009 against Orlando, in all his years in Cleveland. LeBron was never the favorites to win against Boston, shits a myth.

And I noticed after I posted, I meant to say lose as the favorites in the Finals. LeBron only lost once as favorites in 2011, Durant lost in 2012 and if he loses again, then he can't crack top 10.
If you're going to play that card, then I can use the "shits a myth" excuse for Durant in 2012 since you have a more experienced, playoff tested team in Miami against an OKC team full of 22 and 23 year olds carrying them getting their first taste of the Finals. Same basic principle.

KG215
02-11-2014, 08:08 PM
That's on you for thinking the "kobetards" are rational in the first place.

Solefade
02-11-2014, 08:08 PM

to be fair, he'd have to outperform EVERYBODY on his own team and opposing team significantly to get a pass on that

Black and White
02-11-2014, 08:09 PM
I agree with you, but they do. People always use 2007 against him. Even people who are usually rational, go against their own beliefs just to bash him. People seem to forget that it's a team sport and that making the Finals alone is an accomplishment.

Its a weird double standard in that case, but just ignore them, 2007 does nothing, if anything its a positive that he was able to make it that far.

DaSeba5
And I never understood why OKC was hands down the favorites in 2012. I get that they beat a really hot Spurs team but part of that was OKC being about the worst possible match-up for the Spurs and everyone going beserk the last four games of the series. It's almost like everyone sorta forgot Bosh was hurt most of the Boston and Indiana series, and instead, decided to focus on the Heat struggling with those teams instead of acknowledging that, if Bosh was good to go, they should be back to being the best team in the NBA as most regarded them in the regular season until the Spurs went off the last month or so. And it was pretty apparent Bosh was going to be 100% for the Finals when he went for 19 and 8 in game 7 against the Celtics.

Not saying OKC shouldn't have put up a better fight (although all but one of their losses could've gone either way), but you had a young team on the best stage for the first time against a veteran laden team who was back to being the team (with Bosh back and healthy) most considered the odds on favorites to win it all most of the season.

1. OKC beat a hot Spurs team that won like 20 games in a row and were considered a historic team by people. I remember the "will SA go undefeated?" threads.

2. Miami barely got past an old Celtics team. They were coming off two long hard fought series. Bosh was coming off an injury, Wade was injured, and the shooters were struggling.

3. OKC had HCA and they were undefeated at home. Their only loss at home that year in the playoffs was game 2 of the Finals.

4. People assumed Miami would choke again, and it seemed that way after game 1 when they blew a lead and Durant went off in the 4th Q.

5. OKC still had Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka. That was a stacked team. They were better than Miami, but Miami refused to lose this time. They caught on fire and OKC didn't have an answer, but yet every game besides the last one came down to the final possessions. Miami barely won in 5. People rewrite history as Miami being some super stacked favorite in that series, but OKC was the favorites. People assumed the worse of Miami.

Black and White

You are asking me to do the impossible.

chazzy
02-11-2014, 08:10 PM

The Cavs were def favored in 2010 against Boston

knicksman
02-11-2014, 08:11 PM
1. OKC beat a hot Spurs team that won like 20 games in a row and were considered a historic team by people. I remember the "will SA go undefeated?" threads.

2. Miami barely got past an old Celtics team. They were coming off two long hard fought series. Bosh was coming off an injury, Wade was injured, and the shooters were struggling.

3. OKC had HCA and they were undefeated at home. Their only loss at home that year in the playoffs was game 2 of the Finals.

4. People assumed Miami would choke again, and it seemed that way after game 1 when they blew a lead and Durant went off in the 4th Q.

5. OKC still had Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka. That was a stacked team. They were better than Miami, but Miami refused to lose this time. They caught on fire and OKC didn't have an answer, but yet every game besides the last one came down to the final possessions. Miami barely won in 5. People rewrite history as Miami being some super stacked favorite in that series, but OKC was the favorites. People assumed the worse of Miami.

more like the refs refused to let Miami lose:lol

Solefade
02-11-2014, 08:13 PM

you're dumb as hell, do you contribute ANYTHING to any thread?

DaSeba5
02-11-2014, 08:14 PM

The ending of game 2 was questionable on whether Durant was fouled or not, but there wasn't exactly a ton of questionable calls. It was a pretty fair series.

knicksman
02-11-2014, 08:15 PM
you're dumb as hell, do you contribute ANYTHING to any thread?

isn't it obvious??

KG215
02-11-2014, 08:21 PM
1. OKC beat a hot Spurs team that won like 20 games in a row and were considered a historic team by people. I remember the "will SA go undefeated?" threads
I'll give ya this one.

Remember, I said it seems kinda dumb in hindsight. Never mind that Bosh looked more than ok in game 7 against the Celtics when he score 19 points. At that point it seemed pretty evident his injury wasn't going to be a problem.

Fair enough, but there's some debate as to whether or not the 2-3-2 format even favors the home team.

Not sure why this should automatically make OKC the favorite, but ok.

That team at that time was not better and more "stacked" than the 2012 Heat and no one is ever going to be able to convince me otherwise. You had 27 year old Bosh and LeBron and 28 year old Wade playing in their 2nd, 3rd, and 3rd Finals respectively. Players who had more than "been there done that" in the playoffs and were in the heart of their primes. LeBron was still the best player in the world, most considered Wade to still be better than Westbrook, and Bosh, at the time, was easily better than Ibaka. Harden was the wildcard and he disappeared. Never mind the rest of Miami's supporting cast (which was just flatout better and had more experience) going off that series.

Again, I want to emphasize in hindsight because I thought at the time it was a little silly OKC was considered the favorites by most. It seemed a lot of it had to do with Bosh's injury but he seemed to be ok after game 7 against the Celtics. OKC winning that series would've made them, what, the youngest or second youngest team to ever win the Finals? While the history of the NBA shows/tells you teams like that (potential dynasties) usually have to take their lumps and, in that case, they took their lumps in the Finals against a more veteran, playoff tested team with superior top end talent and the best player on the planet.