PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving (first pick) vs. Isaiah Thomas (last pick)

bdreason
02-12-2014, 04:07 AM
Kyrie Irving

21.6 / 3.2 / 6.3 / 1.3 on 42.8%

Isaiah Thomas

20.3 / 2.8 / 6.2 / 1.3 on 44.5%

Player comparison posted on NBA Gametime. Thought it was an interesting comparison since Kyrie went #1 overall, and Isaiah was the last pick in the draft.

JohnFreeman
02-12-2014, 04:08 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZwjpqvqhNRM/UqadvcdkJUI/AAAAAAAAEnw/TvAOOryFTEM/s1600/tomwill.gif

RedBlackAttack
02-12-2014, 04:11 AM
Thomas is having an excellent season. Why not compare his numbers to basically any other point in the league? When a guy is averaging 20 points and 6+ assists, he's going to stand up well to most other players in the league.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
02-12-2014, 04:13 AM
Give me IT

bdreason
02-12-2014, 04:16 AM
I guess the point of the comparison was to show how a guy who barely made it into the league statistically matches up against the #1 overall pick from the same draft.

I personally like both players.

JohnFreeman
02-12-2014, 04:17 AM
I do prefer Thomas, but if they switched teams nothing would change.

RedBlackAttack
02-12-2014, 04:22 AM
Kyrie Irving

21.6 / 3.2 / 6.3 / 1.3 on 42.8%

Isaiah Thomas

20.3 / 2.8 / 6.2 / 1.3 on 44.5%

Damian Lillard

20.8 / 3.2 / 5.7 / 0.7 on 42.2%

Jrue Holiday

14.3 / 4.2 / 7.9 / 1.6 on 44.7%

Jeff Teague

15.8 / 2.6 / 7.3 / 1.4 on 41.1%

Kyle Lowery

17.6 / 2.9 / 7.5 / 1.6 on 43.2%

etc.

RedBlackAttack
02-12-2014, 04:23 AM
Silliness. Teams have to account for Irving wherever he is on the floor. Thomas is an afterthought for defenses that have to deal with Cousins underneath. Offensively, Irving / Cousins would be ridiculous.

Now, defensively? Another matter entirely, but that isn't exactly a strongsuit for Thomas either.

There isn't a GM in the NBA who would consider taking Thomas over Irving. Not one.

I was shocked to see that IT is 25 years old. Had no clue he was that old. Irving is 21.

JohnFreeman
02-12-2014, 04:25 AM
Silliness. Teams have to account for Irving wherever he is on the floor. Thomas is an afterthought for defenses that have to deal with Cousins underneath.
I honestly don't see Irving as a threat, I would sag off and let him shoot

RedBlackAttack
02-12-2014, 04:27 AM
I honestly don't see Irving as a threat, I would sag off and let him shoot
And you would lose. That's why teams don't do that.

andremiller07
02-12-2014, 08:09 AM
While both put up cool stats imo neither make there teammates better and neither have good natural playmaking ability and are both just dreadful defenders. Thomas is still better served being the best 6th man in the L than he is starting (which he's solid at). Honestly there is a lot of PG's I would take over both.

But than again maybe playing on a different team Thomas could be a good starter since the Kings are a bunch of selfish no defence playing morons. IT is a sick scorer but he really just get tunnel vision sometimes, the effort and hustle is there but those natural things like court vision and awareness are not and to me Kyrie is the same in a lot of ways just bigger/slower with slightly more handle.

Both fun to watch but it's about winning at the end of the day.

KyrieTheFuture
02-12-2014, 09:04 AM
You really don't think Kyrie and DMC would destroy the league?

Sagging off Irving? Definitely trolling.

JohnFreeman
02-12-2014, 09:06 AM

I like Irving, but I wouldn't want him on my team.

andremiller07
02-12-2014, 09:11 AM

No they wouldn't it would be exactly the same as Thomas/Cousins a team with 17 wins out of 50 something games. Thomas/Irivng has similar strengths and weaknesses and neither are going to make the Kings better. Is Kyrie a better player sure but does he impact the game more not really.

JohnFreeman
02-12-2014, 09:15 AM
No they wouldn't it would be exactly the same as Thomas/Cousins a team with 17 wins out of 50 something games. Thomas/Irivng has similar strengths and weaknesses and neither are going to make the Kings better. Is Kyrie a better player sure but does he impact the game more not really.
I question Irving's bball IQ as well. Wall + Boogie would be better.

KyrieTheFuture
02-12-2014, 09:17 AM
I like Irving, but I wouldn't want him on my team.
That's fine, he hasn't demonstrated that he should be universally wanted on a team. I'm not one of them but people say the same things about Rondo, or DMC, Blake Griffin as well up until about a month ago.

DukeDelonte13
02-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Imagine the kind of numbers Kyrie would put up if he wasn't the focal point of the opposing team's defense every single night.

All Net
02-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Just shows how good of a season Thomas is having.

tragicbronson
02-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Imagine the kind of numbers Kyrie would put up if he wasn't the focal point of the opposing team's defense every single night.

http://i.qkme.me/36eamv.jpg

El Gato Negro
02-12-2014, 09:29 AM
I love how people just forget about kyries first two years. also at 21 how many game winning shots has this kid hit already? How many has IT hit? i agree the numbers say more about IT than irving.

andremiller07
02-12-2014, 09:30 AM
I love how people just forget about kyries first two years. also at 21 how many game winning shots has this kid hit already? How many has IT hit?
It's about now not two years ago, end of the day both play on shit teams and don't make anyone else better but can score fairly well while giving you next to nothing in just about every other aspect.

El Gato Negro
02-12-2014, 09:30 AM
You should try actually watching some basketball before you post. :rockon:

DukeDelonte13
02-12-2014, 09:31 AM

So you wanna tell me having Demarcus Cousins in the paint doesn't open up the game for his guards? :oldlol:

JohnFreeman
I love how people just forget about kyries first two years. also at 21 how many game winning shots has this kid hit already? How many has IT hit? i agree the numbers say more about IT than irving.
Yeah because the last two years really matter don't they? Think teams generally look to the future.

El Gato Negro
It's about now not two years ago, end of the day both play on shit teams and don't make anyone else better but can score fairly well.
Andre miller is and always was a scrub.

JohnFreeman
02-12-2014, 09:32 AM
:biggums: One of the craftiest players in his prime

andremiller07
02-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Better all around player than both these guys he took a less talented Philly team to a 500. record as the main guy something both these guys are dreaming about on far more talented teams.

JohnFreeman
So you wanna tell me having Demarcus Cousins in the paint doesn't open up the game for his guards? :oldlol:

If Irving came to the Kings, I would play him at SG and Thomas at PG. We need some defense though

El Gato Negro
Yeah because the last two years really matter don't they? Think teams generally look to the future.
:facepalm

El Gato Negro
02-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Better all around player than both these guys he took a less talented Philly team to a 500. record as the main guy something both these guys are dreaming about on far more talented teams.
:facepalm atleast most trolls on here are funny.

D-FENS
02-12-2014, 09:39 AM

I'd take Thomas as well if I was looking to win now. If I wanted to build for the future, I'd take Kyrie and trade him. He has more perceived value, but I think he has a lousy attitude and he's a bum.

JohnFreeman
02-12-2014, 09:42 AM
I'd take Thomas as well if I was looking to win now. If I wanted to build for the future, I'd take Kyrie and trade him. He has more perceived value, but I think he has a lousy attitude and he's a bum.
Pretty much spot on with my opinion, Kyrie would obviously do better with another team. I hear the attitude in the locker room is terrible

D-FENS
02-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Pretty much spot on with my opinion, Kyrie would obviously do better with another team. I hear the attitude in the locker room is terrible

They should look to trade his bunk-ass to a team in the late lottery, and then grab themselves Marcus Smart.

JohnFreeman
02-12-2014, 09:53 AM
They should look to trade his bunk-ass to a team in the late lottery, and then grab themselves Marcus Smart.
Knicks probably would take him, but they have no first rounders

KyrieTheFuture
02-12-2014, 09:59 AM
To be honest I'm a little surprised you love Cousins so much and seem to dislike Kyrie despite them having the exact same rumors about being bad in the locker room and having bad attitudes.

chocolatethunder
02-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Smart? He plays hard and hustles but if you think that he's any more of a real PG than Irving then you're fooling yourself. He plays hard but looks for his shot too much. He's a combo guard to me without that real scoring talent to be a serious factor offensively in the NBA. I could be wrong but that's how I view him.

D-FENS
02-12-2014, 10:07 AM
To be honest I'm a little surprised you love Cousins so much and seem to dislike Kyrie despite them having the exact same rumors about being bad in the locker room and having bad attitudes.

I don't know where you have heard that. Boogie has been the flavour of the month, we have heard how much he has matured and become a team leader.

All the rumours out of Cleveland suggest Irving is a no defense playing, cancerous chucker.

JohnFreeman
02-12-2014, 10:07 AM
I don't mean attitude problems with Irving, I mean Waiters and bunch. I know Cousins has his problems :confusedshrug:

KyrieTheFuture
02-12-2014, 10:11 AM
I don't mean attitude problems with Irving, I mean Waiters and bunch. I know Cousins has his problems :confusedshrug:
Oh word I got you now, it's definitely a toxic environment in there. I'm curious to see if anything changes with the FO and likely coaching change but if he's pouty and takes plays off under 3 different coaches I will be annoyed for sure.

D-FENS quit trolling

DukeDelonte13
02-12-2014, 10:12 AM
I don't know where you have heard that. Boogie has been the flavour of the month, we have heard how much he has matured and become a team leader.

All the rumours out of Cleveland suggest Irving is a no defense playing, cancerous chucker.

the FACTS are is that he's on and off. Some nights he moves the ball well and hustles on the defensive end, some nights he doesn't. He's improved from where he was last year, but he needs to learn how to give max effort every minute he's out there and that there is more value in moving the ball rather than trying to go 1 v. 5.

JohnFreeman
02-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Oh word I got you now, it's definitely a toxic environment in there. I'm curious to see if anything changes with the FO and likely coaching change but if he's pouty and takes plays off under 3 different coaches I will be annoyed for sure.

D-FENS quit trolling
Dan Gilbert leaving wouldn't be a horrible thing :lol Why did the Cavs take TT over Valančiūnas? Dion Waiters probably has to go if he is a bit cancerous.

KyrieTheFuture
02-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Dan Gilbert leaving wouldn't be a horrible thing :lol Why did the Cavs take TT over Valančiūnas? Dion Waiters probably has to go if he is a bit cancerous.
He's a billion times better than the Browns owner at least. Man likes to spend money and we actually have amazing facilities. Doesn't make anyone want to come play there but it probably makes it nicer for them. It was a gamble, guess they weren't sold on the guy which I don't blame them for. I will be forever furious we didn't take Drummond though. I don't understand why our FO hates centers. No val, no drummond, no Noel but I'm actually high on Bennett which would come crashing down if Nerlens ends up being more than just a shot blocker.

JohnFreeman
02-12-2014, 10:21 AM
He's a billion times better than the Browns owner at least. Man likes to spend money and we actually have amazing facilities. Doesn't make anyone want to come play there but it probably makes it nicer for them. It was a gamble, guess they weren't sold on the guy which I don't blame them for. I will be forever furious we didn't take Drummond though. I don't understand why our FO hates centers. No val, no drummond, no Noel but I'm actually high on Bennett which would come crashing down if Nerlens ends up being more than just a shot blocker.
Bennett is looking better, I wish him well. I think Noel won't be all that to be honest.

DukeDelonte13
02-12-2014, 10:28 AM

They wanted Val to immediately join the team and his people wouldn't agree to it so they took Thompson. Raptors didn't put any conditions on them picking him. Nobody can really say at this point that one player is vastly superior over the other.

JohnFreeman
02-12-2014, 10:30 AM
They wanted Val to immediately join the team and his people wouldn't agree to it so they took Thompson. Raptors didn't put any conditions on them picking him. Nobody can really say at this point that one player is vastly superior over the other.
I didn't know there was an issue with him. I just thought they would pick the tallest guy.

DukeDelonte13
02-12-2014, 10:35 AM
I didn't know there was an issue with him. I just thought they would pick the tallest guy.

Yeah, he was still under contract with his Lithuanian club and there was a stall out during the buyout negotiations. Woj reported that several people within the organization thought that Chris Grant was being too hard headed and he really just wanted Thompson anyways. I don't buy that for one second as I think that BS piece just came out to justify the Grant firing.

I think the Cavs really did want J-Val, but they wanted to immediately pair him with Kyrie and if they couldn't they would take a guy that would grow with Kyrie. TT has been a solid pick and as i said before, some days TT looks better, some days J-val looks better. C is def. a harder position to fill though.

JohnFreeman
02-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Yeah, he was still under contract with his Lithuanian club and there was a stall out during the buyout negotiations. Woj reported that several people within the organization thought that Chris Grant was being too hard headed and he really just wanted Thompson anyways. I don't buy that for one second as I think that BS piece just came out to justify the Grant firing.

I think the Cavs really did want J-Val, but they wanted to immediately pair him with Kyrie and if they couldn't they would take a guy that would grow with Kyrie. TT has been a solid pick and as i said before, some days TT looks better, some days J-val looks better. C is def. a harder position to fill though.
All good points, this i why I like talking to real fans of the team :cheers:
Waiters probably has to go, I wouldn't mind him on the Kings but I don't want attitude problems. Any reason why Cavs dumped Bynum?

D-FENS
02-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Val looks better 80% of the time, and his potential is off the charts.
The Cavs are playing a stupid game at the moment. They screwed up the last 3 drafts. I actually thought they would draft Noel last year, and then be bad this year in a draft where you want to be bad. Noel could sit the whole season out, giving the Cavs potentially 2 back to back number 1 picks as rookies in the same year.

Imagine:
Irving, Noel, Embiid (Parker or Wiggins)
with Thompson and Waiters (I don't agree with these picks either) in supporting roles

Ridiculous franchise - I feel sorry about what Grant and Gilbert have done to this team. LeBron had good reason to leave.

Miles and Miles
02-12-2014, 12:55 PM
IT is one of the top 3 players on the team but yet lots of people out of Sacramento always want to put him on the bench and say we need a different PG. I am so sick of hearing it. I would like to see the list of PGs better then his and how the Kings would be able to acquire them.