PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gaffney on Kobe Bryant&Kevin Garnett Experiences

ArbitraryWater
02-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Tony Gaffney is an american Basketball Player, playing for the Telekom Baskets Bonn in Germany's Top Basketball League, the BBL.

YouTube: Tony Gaffney - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tony+gaffney&sm=3

They did an Interview with him in one of the Top 2 German Basketball Magazines, "Five". Interesting stuff.

Tony tells us about his experiences in the Summer League in 2009&2010 fighting for an NBA Contract. He speaks German, the Interview is done in German, so I will translate this whole bit out of the Interview for you guys.

Five (Magazin): How was your time with the Lakers at the side of Kobe Bryant?

That was my rookie Season (Played for the Lakers in the Summer League), to Kobe I also had a very good relationship.
My personal coach always told me that I should be the first in the gym and the last to leave.
My first day in LA we started training at 10 AM, and I was there at 8 AM.
But I already heard a ball bouncing. It was Kobe Bryant, who was there training with 2 Ball boys on things, a normal player usually doesn't work on.
For example he tied up his one hand to his back and only shot it with his other hand.
After 3, 4 days we talked a bit, because as Captain he knew everything about the players allowed to go to Camp.

Ever day I tried to come before Kobe, every day I came 10 minutes earlier... but Kobe was already there (laughs loud).
I had to play Kobe One on One, multiple days in a row. I was only allowed to play Defense, he always played Offense and scored on me in different ways every time. One day he only scored with his left, the other with his right, then only outside the Zone, then only inside the Zone.
Once in the week I was allowed to play Offense (laughs). But when Kobe tells you something, you have to do it!

After one week we had a game against Sacramento in Las Vegas. Back then I used to think I was going to get the Contract so I threw a party. However I was a rookie with a non-guaranteed contract, so opposed to other veterans I didn't have all that money to throw around for gambling.
So I watched the guys play having fun. Then Kobe came over to me, put his arm around my neck and said: "What you doing, rook?" He only called me "Rookie" or "Rook". He asked me if I wanted to play (gamble) as well, but I explained I could only watch.
Kobe went to a woman at the counter working for the Hotel, he put out his card and said "Give my rookie a couple of chips". He came back with 10 sacks in the value of 10.000 Dollar (laughs). So he gave me 10000$ for gambling. After half an hour it was all gone!
Those were things he did for me. Even though in the beginning I didn't hold him in high regards (Kobe forgives, right Jabbar), because I come from Boston and was always a Fan of the Celtics.

Five: Was Kobe the most impressive player you met in the states?

That's hard to say, I would also name Kevin Garnett. Kevin Garnett began to sweat as soon as he started talking, because he is so intense. Doesn't matter what you talk about, a story, the news, etc. he starts sweating, because he is totally involved in it. He knows more about Basketball than anyone else, outside of Rajon Rondo maybe. I met some brilliant basketballers, because in 2010 I had the luck playing for the 2 most storied franchises and to meet inspirational basketball players.

Five: How does Kevin Garnett behave to new guys?

He's more strict. Every day I had to get him Crispy Cream Donuts, Latte Macchiato with Cinnamon and the 'USA Today'. He needed those things before every practise, therefore he always took good care of me and protected me. When I hit the mall or went partying and he was there too, I never had to pay, because he was always there.

That's it. IMO the most interesting parts of the Interview, some insight views on Kobe&Kevin. Kobe's a chill dude man, and a hard worker. :cheers:

KyrieTheFuture
02-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Kobe seems like someone where he'll get your back through anything if he likes you but if he doesn't he's one of the worst people possible to be around.

And my boy Rondo getting recognized for his BBall IQ. Lovin it.

Andrew Wiggins
02-12-2014, 10:08 AM
this is great. i love reading insights like this.

T_L_P
02-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Tony makes Garnett sound like a prison gang leader.

"He took care of me." :roll:

D-FENS
02-12-2014, 10:27 AM
I really thought he'd stick on the Celtics. He's a very handy defender

East_Stone_Ya
02-12-2014, 12:00 PM

:oldlol:

Rooster
02-12-2014, 02:01 PM
He almost made the Lakers roster that one year where he was the final cut. He was very athletic and scrappy player but just don't have the skills. He remind me of Matt Barnes on his first few years at UCLA.

scm5
02-12-2014, 02:04 PM
I really thought he'd stick on the Celtics. He's a very handy defender

Probably from his experience in guarding Kobe in one-on-one

LAL
02-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Probably from his experience in guarding Kobe in one-on-one
Yup, and can you imagine if kobe played him with both hands :eek:

Brokenbeat
02-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Gonna be weird when these two are gone. :(

MMM
02-12-2014, 02:33 PM
So what does it take to beat Kobe to the practice facility???
Does Kobe have a warning system and teleports to make sure he's the first player there or does he go straight after games. Wonder if Ray could beat Kobe to practice.

ArbitraryWater
02-12-2014, 04:50 PM
So what does it take to beat Kobe to the practice facility???
Does Kobe have a warning system and teleports to make sure he's the first player there or does he go straight after games. Wonder if Ray could beat Kobe to practice.

Kobe seems to be the King of that. Doesn't matter what story It is...

moe94
02-12-2014, 04:55 PM

:roll:

kennethgriffin
02-12-2014, 05:01 PM
kobe doesnt drink, doesnt party, hates his wife, and seems to be a very boring person outside of basketball

that combined with his personal helicopter and obsession for the game... i dont think anyone could beat him to the gym every day.

he probably used the gym locker room as a place to sleep with potential laker girls...

he probably never leaves

G-Funk
02-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Kobe seems like someone where he'll get your back through anything if he likes you but if he doesn't he's one of the worst people possible to be around.

And my boy Rondo getting recognized for his BBall IQ. Lovin it.

The only people that Kobe ever had an issue with was with players who didn't take their craft as serious as he did ala Dwight, Shaq

Rooster
02-12-2014, 06:22 PM
kobe doesnt drink, doesnt party, hates his wife, and seems to be a very boring person outside of basketball

that combined with his personal helicopter and obsession for the game... i dont think anyone could beat him to the gym every day.

he probably used the gym locker room as a place to sleep with potential laker girls...

he probably never leaves

The only one who can beat him to practice was the late Brian Williams. He drives himself to practice with his own plane.

Burgz V2
02-12-2014, 06:48 PM
as always, KG the great teammate, but terrible human being to anyone else :lol

Black and White
02-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Great insight, isn't surprising though.

We all know what Kobe is like, he is a workhorse whos work ethic cannot be matched, he takes things to the next level.