PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever notice Kobe stans at the gym play ball like Kobe?

Solefade
02-12-2014, 02:30 PM
i can't speak for everyone but i feel like a lot of kobe stans i play with at the gym try to "model" their game after kobe (a lot of chucking and ball hogging) whether they're good or bad :lol

KyleKong
02-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Holy ****ing yes. I just got done talking to someone about this.

Same with KD, LeBron, and Curry #1 fans. It's hilarious.

Jameerthefear
02-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Yep it's not fun to play with. One dude I knew would go "Kobe!" from like 2 feet behind the 3 point line and airball. I just switched teams and played basketball the way it was meant to be played and it was an easy W. I can see why players don't want to play with Kobe Bryant.

Peteballa
02-12-2014, 02:34 PM
LOL yeah, actually hilariously true.

AnaheimLakers24
02-12-2014, 02:35 PM
are you mad no one plays like bran? hes boring and his game is ugly ti the human eye. its ok though

KyleKong
02-12-2014, 02:37 PM
are you mad no one plays like bran? hes boring and his game is ugly ti the human eye. its ok though

Confirmed asshole at the gym. :oldlol:

Genaro
02-12-2014, 02:38 PM
In pick up games everyone plays always trying to score the ball. If it's AI style, Kobe style or whatever it doesn't matter, fact is nobody plays team ball on pickup games.

Solefade
02-12-2014, 02:38 PM

that's funny because guys that play like bron are the most fun to play with and usually the highest IQ players (plays defense, passes ball, takes good shots)

Levity
02-12-2014, 02:39 PM
its gym ball, folks. everyone tries to play like theyre the star of the drew league.

Solefade
02-12-2014, 02:39 PM
i'd rather play with less talented guys that pass the ball/play team ball than more skilled guys that play 1v5 lol

moe94
02-12-2014, 02:40 PM
I GOT THIS GUYS
MY BAD MY BAD NEXT ONE NEXT ONE
YO YO PASS THE ROCK KID
AY AY I GOT THIS

*hits 1 every 8 shots*

I GOTCHU
I'M THE ONE

:coleman:

Solefade
its gym ball, folks. everyone tries to play like theyre the star of the drew league.

lol not true, the teams that run the court at open gym usually are the guys that are skilled AND play with their teammates

Jameerthefear
I've beaten teams with way more talent by playing like a team. Lebron ball is the best ball.

Solefade
02-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Confirmed asshole at the gym. :oldlol:

:oldlol: :oldlol:

Magic 32
02-12-2014, 02:42 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t31/p180x540/964655_10152115341368463_1850549452_o.jpg

JimmyMcAdocious
02-12-2014, 02:42 PM
I'm Kendrick Perkins if he were a PG.

Needless to say my team always wins.

Jameerthefear
02-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Even if you are talented I hate assholes that don't pass because they don't make every shot.

Take Your Lumps
02-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Yep it's not fun to play with. One dude I knew would go "Kobe!" from like 2 feet behind the 3 point line and airball. I just switched teams and played basketball the way it was meant to be played and it was an easy W. I can see why players don't want to play with Kobe Bryant.

https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnu5e9R8r61qgplnto1_400.gif

Solefade
02-12-2014, 02:51 PM
https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnu5e9R8r61qgplnto1_400.gif

:roll:

Legends66NBA7
02-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Interesting enough, people have said I play ball similar to Bruce Bowen/Ron Artest.

moe94
02-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Interesting enough, people have said I play ball similar to Bruce Bowen/Ron Artest.

Sneak dissing you and saying you're wack on offense but hustle on defense.

Legends66NBA7
02-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Sneak dissing you and saying you're wack on offense but hustle on defense.

I don't think they meant it like that. I think my defensive work and rebounding was much more notable than my offense, which doesn't mean I was bad on offense. On offense, I'm usually looking to involve my teammates first. Will post up and hit the outside shot second.

kamil
02-12-2014, 02:57 PM
I was never an Iverson fan, but I played more like him than anyone else considering MJ was my favourite when I was growing up. I suppose its because I practiced the hell out of my ball handling skills more than anything else (spin moves, crossovers, etc.)

KyleKong
02-12-2014, 02:58 PM
People say I play like Smush Parker. :(

Because no one gives me permission to talk to them.

Mr Exlax
02-12-2014, 03:00 PM
I was never an Iverson fan, but I played more like him than anyone else considering MJ was my favourite when I was growing up. I suppose its because I practiced the hell out of my ball handling skills more than anything else (spin moves, crossovers, etc.)

I have went through 3 different phases. Pippen, Jason Kidd and now I'm LeBron ish since I've put on so much weight, but a fairly wet jumpshot when I'm feeling it.

Oh and I forgot to add that I'm a horrible winner and loser . I'm pissed if we lose. I'm pissed if we lose a close game. I'm pissed if we win a close game. I'm whatever if we win by a lot.

Solefade
02-12-2014, 03:00 PM

you're a hustle player :cheers:

every team needs one of those

MMM
02-12-2014, 03:04 PM
I would say I went from playing like Hakeem(at least in my mind)
To the lows of Mark Blount.

kamil
02-12-2014, 03:05 PM
I have went through 3 different phases. Pippen, Jason Kidd and now I'm LeBron ish since I've put on so much weight, but a fairly wet jumpshot when I'm feeling it.

Oh and I forgot to add that I'm a horrible winner and loser . I'm pissed if we lose. I'm pissed if we lose a close game. I'm pissed if we win a close game. I'm whatever if we win by a lot.

I could never play the part of Pippen or LeBron, I'm not tall enough; 5'10". I could model my game after MJ, but it wouldn't be as effective as modelling it after someone else.

However, I did average about 80% from the FT line! Got myself into some free throw championships in my region too.

My defense is always on point though, its far easier than offense and I'm really quick so steals have always come to me often.

Milbuck
02-12-2014, 03:05 PM
I usually play point. Got good vision, and I'm a pretty tenacious defender. I'm useless as a scoring threat though. Can't shoot worth a damn.

kamil
02-12-2014, 03:07 PM
While were on the topic, which stereotype is everyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gWxHFMog9w

RidonKs
02-12-2014, 03:07 PM
i definitely got a kobe fade from the right block spinning baseline. i only shoot it when i'm by myself though lol

UK2K
02-12-2014, 03:09 PM
In pick up games everyone plays always trying to score the ball. If it's AI style, Kobe style or whatever it doesn't matter, fact is nobody plays team ball on pickup games.
I disagree.

My favorite player is Rondo.

Ive had games where I score 9 of our 10 points, but most of my games I hardly ever shoot. My range is about three feet, so I only shoot layups but if we make a basket, its because I threw a dime piece to someone.

Mr Exlax
02-12-2014, 03:17 PM
I could never play the part of Pippen or LeBron, I'm not tall enough; 5'10". I could model my game after MJ, but it wouldn't be as effective as modelling it after someone else.

However, I did average about 80% from the FT line! Got myself into some free throw championships in my region too.

My defense is always on point though, its far easier than offense and I'm really quick so steals have always come to me often.

I had to be a jack of all trades because of the guys I'd hoop with. Some leagues (like local leagues. Nothing major) I'd be one of the shortest guys on the court, but then when I play pick up games at the park or something I'm usually one of the tallest. I'm only 6'2 or 3ish though. Used to be real athletic. I used to get credit for doing whatever it takes to win, but in actually I just didn't want to lose.

BoutPractice
02-12-2014, 03:26 PM
So true... Played with quite a number of Kobe wannabes, which is funny since I've been compared to Pau several times. But unlike the real Kobe-Pau dynamic, I actually contribute whereas the other guy usually just misses. The worst part is when you turn all their bricks into offensive rebounds, then get criticized when you finally get your own shot and miss. Or when you try to pass the ball to someone else who isn't 0 for 10.

kennethgriffin
02-12-2014, 03:26 PM
lebron fans are just jealous cause nobody wants to imitate their favorite player.

nobody wants to flop, travel, charge and cry all day when they can actually have fun..

i see jameer however didnt mind playing like lebron... i stand corrected

Fire Colangelo
02-12-2014, 03:27 PM
They're usually the ones that don't play any defense either :facepalm

played with this one dude that screamed "HEY" everytime he put up a shot against me when i didn't even touch him. everytime he missed a shot (which was like 70% of his shots) he argued for it to be a foul and wanted the possession back. :coleman:

Solefade
02-12-2014, 03:37 PM
lebron fans are just jealous cause nobody wants to imitate their favorite player.

nobody wants to flop, travel, charge and cry all day when they can actually have fun..

i see jameer however didnt mind playing like lebron... i stand corrected

^sucks at basketball i'm sure

no pun intended
02-12-2014, 03:43 PM
One of the reasons why Kobe is one of the most influential players in his generation, let alone NBA history.

kshutts1
I tailor my game to "suit" the needs of my team.

But when I'm trying to be the scorer, I try to score like Kobe does.

Normally I feel like my box score would be similar to Kurt Thomas... 5 rebounds, 25 picks, 17 fouls, maybe 2-3 from 10 feet away.

moe94
I usually play point. Got good vision, and I'm a pretty tenacious defender. I'm useless as a scoring threat though. Can't shoot worth a damn.

I got the wettest midrange of all time. I'm wack from 3 doe

Call me Jordan :coleman:

funnystuff
02-12-2014, 03:46 PM
We kick those kind of players off the lineup.

Nothing makes a teammate more mad than a teammate who plays like Kobe.

02-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Yup, it's true. It's one thing that has really hurt my basketball career. Kobe was just a bad role model for me to imitate but as a kid, I just couldn't help it. Realistically, should've studied Jason Kidd and Steve Nash and model my game after them. Nowadays however, there are plenty of exciting players for people to imitate, it all really came with the emergence of the scoring PG.
Derrick Rose was the first one who was at the same time a PG and an exciting player but there are so many players nowadays that are like that and kids can really model their game after many players.

Good advice for younger folks here would be not to imitate a player like Kobe because his game is just so advanced. It's pure mastery. There are many better players to imitate so you learn the fundamentals of the game better. Even many NBA players can't really imitate Kobe. It's a bad idea for youngsters.
I would've been so much better if I wasn't trying to be Kobe. I'm older now but when I still play, I try to do simple things that I wasn't paying attention to when I was younger....makes the game so much easier. Just creating separation and stuff like that...Deron Williams and Steve Nash are/were so awesome at it...you try to imitate Kobe...it's like being just a no good thug trying to do Ocean 11 shit...won't work...too sophisticated.

Legends66NBA7
02-12-2014, 03:54 PM
While were on the topic, which stereotype is everyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gWxHFMog9w

My friends would say I'm the mix of the "Football guy", "Player coach", and "Rage monster".

:oldlol:

ImKobe
02-12-2014, 03:56 PM
It's fun playing like Kobe, other guys on my team usually hog the ball and just dribble and turn that shit over and brick layups, I just pull up from 3 and I make it rain, when I get hot I can do that 5-10 times in a row, even when they try to close out on me, my release is quick as f and though I'm only 6'1 they can't guard me.

But unlike Kobe, I use the hook shot a lot more, it's so easy yet so effective in the post.

02-12-2014, 03:57 PM
No one can really imitate LeBron, that's why no one does it. Too strong and too physically gifted. It's like imitating Shaq. No one can do that shit and people are well aware of it. Kobe's stuff was skill based however, so naturally people thought they could do it...even though they really couldn't. Same with AI. Imitating AI was easier though. Just get the ballhandling down, you're half way there, still hard. It promoted bad fundamentals however. Imitating either Kobe or AI. Because people just saw the end product but with both Kobe and AI there were so many layers to their game before that end product.

moe94
02-12-2014, 04:00 PM
No one can really imitate LeBron, that's why no one does it. Too strong and too physically gifted. It's like imitating Shaq. No one can do that shit and people are well aware of it. Kobe's stuff was skill based however, so naturally people thought they could do it...even though they really couldn't. Same with AI. Imitating AI was easier though. Just get the ballhandling down, you're half way there, still hard. It promoted bad fundamentals however. Imitating either Kobe or AI. Because people just saw the end product but with both Kobe and AI there were so many layers to their game before that end product.

We usually call any dude who is leaps and bounds more athletically gifted or strong a LeBron. I had a bunch of Bron friends. They'd just barrel their way down and no one could do a damn thing.

Black and White
02-12-2014, 04:00 PM
I use his fadeaway from the left block and in front, I also use his ball fakes (which work like a charm),

But I also use some of Rondos fakes aswell.

Its gym ball, whats wrong with using other players styles????

Solefade
02-12-2014, 04:02 PM
I use his fadeaway from the left block and in front, I also use his ball fakes (which work like a charm),

But I also use some of Rondos fakes aswell.

Its gym ball, whats wrong with using other players styles????

nothing wrong with imitating other people's styles but everyone hates ball hogs/ball chuckers

Black and White
02-12-2014, 04:04 PM
nothing wrong with imitating other people's styles but everyone hates ball hogs/ball chuckers

Nah I dont use that aspect of it, unless I'm open, or my mates are telling me to take the shot I would rather work the ball and look for a better shot.

Illuminati
02-12-2014, 04:05 PM
My friend (who's a huge Kobe stan) sometimes takes off balance, fade away 3 pointers over 2-3 defenders. Lol I'm not even joking.

02-12-2014, 04:08 PM
My friend (who's a huge Kobe stan) sometimes takes off balance, fade away 3 pointers over 2-3 defenders. Lol I'm not even joking.

LOL, that was me as well. And I had trouble hitting open shots lol..even my FT's weren't great. But there was no way resisting that fadeaway. :roll:

Rake2204
02-12-2014, 04:24 PM
No one can really imitate LeBron, that's why no one does it. Too strong and too physically gifted. It's like imitating Shaq. No one can do that shit and people are well aware of it. Kobe's stuff was skill based however, so naturally people thought they could do it...even though they really couldn't. Same with AI. Imitating AI was easier though. Just get the ballhandling down, you're half way there, still hard. It promoted bad fundamentals however. Imitating either Kobe or AI. Because people just saw the end product but with both Kobe and AI there were so many layers to their game before that end product.I think people may be referring to imitating the shell of these player's games, or at least the stereotypes of their games. I suppose we could call Bryant's and Iverson's games about mastery, but the stereotypes do seem to base themselves in ball ownership and shot volume. Even when mastered, it resulted in a lot of team stagnation and mediocre field goal percentages. So I think people are referring to street players who shoot a lot of "Kobe!" type of shots and are not fond of passing.

On the flip side, though I am most certainly not a fan of the Miami Heat form of LeBron James, I think imitating his play style would be suited quite well for the street court. Playing hard, attacking the basket, willing to share, working the glass... hard to combat that. I haven't seen a lot of folks pulling up from forty feet yelling, "LeBron!". That faux label is more reserved for the players overpowering opponents, playing with aggression, finishing well, and doing a little bit of everything.

sportjames23
02-12-2014, 04:43 PM

LOL at you talkin bout practice.

TylerOO
02-12-2014, 04:47 PM
I put on a show. When I make 3 straight 3's you better ****ing believe next possession I'm pulling up from 5 feet behind that 3 point line...

ArbitraryWater
02-12-2014, 04:49 PM
On every shot they make theyre like "Ughhh the black MamBA!" they chuck em up kobe style.

moe94
02-12-2014, 04:58 PM
LOL at you talkin bout practice.
http://oi44.tinypic.com/s2gvtk.jpg