PDA

View Full Version : Should we forgive Vince Carter?

wongal
02-14-2014, 10:30 AM
As a Raptors' fan, I used to hate Vince Carter because he is a quitter - like not playing hard in multiple games or attending graduation on the day when he had playoff game 7 vs sixers etc .......

But after watching " The Reimagination of VC " by sportsnet , it looks like Vince Carter did not want to be traded. It's the management decision. The GM does not want him.

So now, I don't know if he should be forgiven after all these years. Let's share some thought - should we forgive Vince Carter ?

Link for "The Reimagination of VC" is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G2L0WZPM-Q

moe94
02-14-2014, 10:34 AM
I forgave him a long time ago. Weird that some still hold a grudge. He put us on the map. There is absolutely no denying that he is the most legendary Raptors player ever. It's been a decade.

SexSymbol
02-14-2014, 10:36 AM
No, quitting on a team in basketball is the same as raping a five year old in RL.

leMVP
02-14-2014, 10:38 AM
I forgave him a long time ago. Weird that some still hold a grudge. He put us on the map. There is absolutely no denying that he is the most legendary Raptors player ever. It's been a decade.

Yup, winning a dunk contest helped his franchise and cemented his legacy.

He won't even make the Hall of fame.

moe94
02-14-2014, 10:41 AM

Let's not act like he wasn't a great player and beyond dunks. It goes beyond what happened on the court so this post makes absolutely no sense.

SexSymbol
02-14-2014, 10:42 AM

Bosh>

Legends66NBA7
02-14-2014, 10:42 AM
I never had much against Vince Carter to begin with. I'm beyond the hate, really. There are still a lot of Carter fans when he first left till now in Toronto.

There's also a new perspective about Carter and Tracy McGrady on yesterday's episode of Open Gym , so I highly recommend Raptor fans to check that out.

Legends66NBA7
02-14-2014, 10:44 AM

He most likely will make the HOF.

CelticBaller
02-14-2014, 10:45 AM
He will never be better than Pierce

There, I said it.

wongal
02-14-2014, 10:49 AM
He most likely will make the HOF.

So the raptors should retire his jersey ....

Legends66NBA7
02-14-2014, 11:02 AM
So the raptors should retire his jersey ....

I don't see it happening.

To me, no Raptor has deserved their jersey to be hung to the rafters. Vince Carter didn't do enough for that to happen. If he stayed in Toronto for something like over 10+ seasons and sustained more playoff success, then he would definitely get it up there.

Just because the unanimous agreement on Vince is that he's the Raptors greatest player, doesn't mean he automatically mean he gets his jersey hung up. Now could ownership do it ? Yes, but it would look like the Raptor franchise just making more publicity than anything.

moe94
02-14-2014, 11:07 AM
I don't see it happening.

To me, no Raptor has deserved their jersey to be hung to the rafters. Vince Carter didn't do enough for that to happen. If he stayed in Toronto for something like over 10+ seasons and sustained more playoff success, then he would definitely get it up there.

Just because the unanimous agreement on Vince is that he's the Raptors greatest player, doesn't mean he automatically mean he gets his jersey hung up. Now could ownership do it ? Yes, but it would look like the Raptor franchise just making more publicity than anything.

I'd say being the consensus best player for a team's entire history warrants having your jersey retired. In fact, an argument gets no stronger than that. :oldlol:

f0und
02-14-2014, 11:15 AM
ive always felt that when tmac decided to leave, a little bit of vinsanity died inside him and he was never the same. the vc/tmac combo is one of the biggest "what ifs" in recent nba memory.

Random_Guy
02-14-2014, 11:18 AM

it was arguably the greatest dunk contest of all time because of VC :confusedshrug:

salwan
02-14-2014, 11:37 AM
He will never be better than Pierce

There, I said it.

who would take Carter over Pierce? :confusedshrug:

El Gato Negro
02-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Don't forgive him, hold on to that hate.

Andrei89
02-14-2014, 12:12 PM

Yep, lets act like the guy was not clutch or scored 28 ppg in a season on 46 % shooting.

CelticBaller
02-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Oh boy this was a fiery argument until Pierce won his ring

Jasper
02-14-2014, 02:12 PM
If I recall he played on a NETS team that was pretty good .... and as a multi-millionaire with bad knee's he is playing for the Mav's in a great veteran role , most pro's need to learn how to do.

I commend VC as a player.

however what erk'ed me the most was he on lossing teams and constantly laughing while on the bench ... doesn't look good for your team and to your fans.

What people forget is that he has a nice jumper , good to VG court vision and a better passer than people give him credit.

Still can't figure out him and Nash though........

Bob Dole
02-14-2014, 02:18 PM

Pierce has had the better career but one could easily argue that carter had a better peak.

In fact I would actually.

Fire Colangelo
02-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Oh boy this was a fiery argument until Pierce won his ring

Because Carter had Allen and KG and later Rondo sometime in his career.

PsychoBe
02-14-2014, 02:23 PM
I'd say being the consensus best player for a team's entire history warrants having your jersey retired. In fact, an argument gets no stronger than that. :oldlol:

shaq was orlando's greatest player and we both know he's not getting his jersey retired anytime soon. it's not as black and white as that but i think you know that.

Fire Colangelo
02-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Pierce had the better career but individually as players what did pierce do better than Carter?

Qwyjibo
02-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Forgive him? Sure. He's forgiven. It was long ago and few people care anymore.

Retire his number/jersey? Are you kidding me? Of course not. Just because he's been the best player in the Raptors short history doesn't mean you retire his #. The Raptors have only been around for 20 years and have done nothing of note. Carter had several good years but didn't play long enough and wasn't part of any truly great teams that he was great on. No one has in the Raptors history yet. Just because a team exists, doesn't mean it needs to have a # retired.

Rake2204
02-14-2014, 02:45 PM
however what erk'ed me the most was he on lossing teams and constantly laughing while on the bench ... doesn't look good for your team and to your fans.That has never really been an issue to me. If it's clear a player is not ever taking basketball seriously (flinging up shots at random, punting the ball out of bounds and saying, "Whoopsy Daisy!") then I'd have an issue.

Otherwise, laughter can often be perspective to me. Losing is not the end of the world. It's a game where the goal is to win, but that won't always happen, no matter how seriously a player or team may take the game. So with that said, I don't think losing means one must put on a mean mug and act as if it's the end of the world. I think life is too short for that. It's possible to be upset about a loss and still break into a smile or laugh at a joke here or there.

Stringer Bell
02-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Carter has HOF numbers but I don't think he'll make it. Maybe he will after a number of years of getting rejected.

The perception of him as a lazy, complacent, underachieving player will probably hurt him in the voting.

Rake2204
02-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Carter has HOF numbers but I don't think he'll make it. Maybe he will after a number of years of getting rejected.

The perception of him as a lazy, complacent, underachieving player will probably hurt him in the voting.I'm on the other side on this one. I think history will be kind to Vince Carter. As people separate from fading perceptions, what will be left is a lot of very gaudy career numbers and incredible highlight reels and mixtapes.

And yes, you're saying the Hall of Fame should not be about whether someone had nice highlights, or else Ricky Davis would be in the Hall too. I think Carter's career (10 straight years of 20+ scoring, around 5 boards, and 5 assists) is good enough on its own. But due to his undeniable excitement, creativity, and innovation, I don't picture him being a guy that gets overlooked or forgotten about (say, like an Adrian Dantley).

Even with the poor perceptions, Vince Carter left an undeniable mark.

miggyme1
02-14-2014, 04:54 PM
vince carter never played on a championship team...can someone please show me a team vince carter played on that was championship worthy. smh

it takes more than one player to win a ring...the nets team he played on was garbage....fun to watch but GARBAGE. if tmac had of stayed in Toronto.........he would have won multiple rings!!!!!!!!!!!!

D.J.
02-14-2014, 05:08 PM

He made basketball popular in Canada. He took the Raptors to their first 2 playoff appearances. In 2001, a bounce or two goes their way and they're in the ECF. Taking a team that's only 4-5 years old and bringing them almost to the ECF, not to mention singlehandedly making the sport relevant in a country where no one gave two shits about it cemented his legacy.

And yes, he is an HOF'er.

Smoke117
02-14-2014, 06:28 PM
You should let it go because:

1. NOBODY wants to play in Toronto and everyone who has that was any good has left.

2. It's been years and Vince is just a nobody role player now. Why are you still booing a guy who doesn't even do anything of note?

Meticode
02-14-2014, 06:31 PM
You should let it go because:

1. NOBODY wants to play in Toronto and everyone who has that was any good has left.
I'm sure most players are like "I'm not paying taxes to Canada and the US."