PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Hall of Fame 2014 Finalists

RightToCensor
02-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Tim Hardaway, Spencer Haywood, Kevin Johnson, Harley Redin, Mitch Richmond, Nolan Richardson, Eddie Sutton, Gary Williams, Immaculata University (team) and Alonzo Mourning.

Also, in addition to the finalists, five people were elected directly into the Hall of Fame, including recently retired commissioner David Stern.

Clyde
02-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Zo should make it for sure.

L.Kizzle
02-15-2014, 12:53 AM
Spencer Haywood is the only lock.

Of the recent players in Hardaway, KJ, Zo and Richmond, I can see all of them getting in and I can see all of them missing the cut In Reggie Miller's first year up, he didn't even make the finalist.

JohnFreeman
02-15-2014, 12:56 AM
Alonzo. That's it.

SHAQisGOAT
02-15-2014, 01:09 AM
Zo should definitely make it.

Sidney Moncrief always getting snubbed :facepalm Bobby Jones the same. ****ing disgraceful.

L.Kizzle
02-15-2014, 01:16 AM
Zo should definitely make it.

Sidney Moncrief always getting snubbed :facepalm Bobby Jones the same. ****ing disgraceful.

Zo on first ballot, I don't know. Hell, it took Nique Wilkins 2 years to make it in.

Miller for 3
02-15-2014, 01:27 AM
No Moncrief :facepalm

No Gus Williams :facepalm

Took like 15 years for Oscar Schmidt :facepalm

Took like 20 years for Gilmore :facepalm

Bunch of idiots voting for their buddies and funny personalities over basketball career :facepalm

SHAQisGOAT
02-15-2014, 01:34 AM
Zo on first ballot, I don't know. Hell, it took Nique Wilkins 2 years to make it in.

1st only? He probably won't make it then. He's the most deserving out of those guys though. Spencer has the ABA going on for him and he's been retired for a long time.

L.Kizzle
02-15-2014, 01:35 AM
No Moncrief :facepalm

No Gus Williams :facepalm

Took like 15 years for Oscar Schmidt :facepalm

Took like 20 years for Gilmore :facepalm

Bunch of idiots voting for their buddies and funny personalities over basketball career :facepalm
I don't know if Gus Williams is a HOF'er?

If so, than you're gonna have to add JoJo White (who I think is better than Gus), Lou Hudson, Norm Van Lier, Paul Westpal, Marques Johnson (same as White), Bobby Jones, Jack Sikma, ect. Those level of players.

DaSeba5
02-15-2014, 01:37 AM
Tim and Zo :banana:

L.Kizzle
02-15-2014, 01:38 AM
1st only? He probably won't make it then. He's the most deserving out of those guys though. Spencer has the ABA going on for him and he's been retired for a long time.
At their best, I think Tim was the better of the four (of KJ, Mitch and Zo.) And they played in basically the same era.

With KJ being a mayor now, that might get him in. When he wasn't a mayor, he was gettin passed over all the time. That's the only thing that has changed now than when he originally was nominated 10 years ago or so.

SHAQisGOAT
02-15-2014, 01:47 AM
I don't know if Gus Williams is a HOF'er?

If so, than you're gonna have to add JoJo White (who I think is better than Gus), Lou Hudson, Norm Van Lier, Paul Westpal, Marques Johnson (same as White), Bobby Jones, Jack Sikma, ect. Those level of players.

Bobby Jones should definitely make it though. 9 all-defensive teams (8 1st), would've had most likely one dpoy had there been the award in the 70's, 6th man of the year once, 4x nba all-star, leader in FG% once, important part of a championship squad and one of the greatest teams ever, couple of really good years in the aba, top 60 in steals and blocks (nba and aba combined), pretty good overall player at his best, good college career. Looking at some guys already in, easily deserves it. I'd say it's a shame he's not even a finalist by now, even more for Moncrief.

Yea but it's hard for player like Gus. He had a really good peak, has one ring, all-star, 5th in mvp voting once, once all-nba 1st, overall the 3rd best PG of the 80s.. but again, hard for him to make it, even with that really good resume. Sikma, Marques or Jo Jo also in that same boat, really good resume and players at their best but it's hard for them to get it, and, like you've said, dudes like Westphal, Sweet Lou, Van Lier..

SHAQisGOAT
02-15-2014, 01:50 AM
At their best, I think Tim was the better of the four (of KJ, Mitch and Zo.) And they played in basically the same era.

With KJ being a mayor now, that might get him in. When he wasn't a mayor, he was gettin passed over all the time. That's the only thing that has changed now than when he originally was nominated 10 years ago or so.

Looking at everything - peak play, longevity and accolades/awards/acomplishments - I got Zo 1st, out of those. As far as peak, hard to tell, Zo was a beast on d and could get it done on offense, KJ one of the greatest peaks for a PG (shame for injuries), Mitch could really ball, of course Hardaway was just insane with it.

L.Kizzle
02-15-2014, 02:00 AM
Bobby Jones should definitely make it though. 9 all-defensive teams (8 1st), would've had most likely one dpoy had there been the award in the 70's, 6th man of the year once, 4x nba all-star leader in FG% once, important part of a championship squad and one of the greatest teams ever, couple of really good years in the aba, top 60 in steals and blocks (nba and aba combined), pretty good overall player at his best, good college career. Looking at some guys already in, easily deserves it.

Yea but it's hard for player like Gus. He had a really good peak, has one ring, all-star, 5th in mvp voting once, once all-nba 1st, overall the 3rd best PG of the 80s.. but again, hard for him to make it, even with that really good resume. Sikma, Marques or Jo Jo also in that same boat, really good resume and players at their best but it's hard for them to get it, and, like you've said, dudes like Westphal, Sweet Lou, Van Lier..
JoJo was important to the post Russell-pre Larry Celtics. He should have been in years ago. He's part of Celtics history and to leave him out is not right when other Celtics like Frank Ramsey and the recent tom Sanders from Russell's era is in. Technically, Dave Cowens is the only Celtic post Russell-pre Larry in the Hall of Fame. I don't count Hondo since, he played with Russell since 1962.

Larry era Celtics there are 6 and Russell has a bunch (Cousy/Sharman/Heinsohn/Jones boys/Hondo/Ramsey/Sanders and others who played a few years and are in the Hall in Baily Howell, Clyde Lovellette, Arnie Risen and Andy Phillip.)

The Hondo/Cowens/White era, White should be added.

IGotACoolStory
02-15-2014, 02:08 AM
Bobby Jones should definitely make it though. 9 all-defensive teams (8 1st), would've had most likely one dpoy had there been the award in the 70's, 6th man of the year once, 4x nba all-star, leader in FG% once, important part of a championship squad and one of the greatest teams ever, couple of really good years in the aba, top 60 in steals and blocks (nba and aba combined), pretty good overall player at his best, good college career. Looking at some guys already in, easily deserves it. I'd say it's a shame he's not even a finalist by now, even more for Moncrief.

2nd team all american, with guys like Bill Walton and David Thompson in front of him. That's maybe 2 of the top 5 college basketball players of all time. Did get one first team selection from the USBWA.

Finished his career as the alltime FG% leader at UNC. One season he broke the record for the highest FG% in ACC history. In a different season he had the second highest rebounding season in school history (behind HOFer Billy Cunningham).

He had an outstanding college career.

Also an Olympian, although on that 1972 team. Then all of the off the court stuff.

SHAQisGOAT
02-15-2014, 02:09 AM
JoJo was important to the post Russell-pre Larry Celtics. He should have been in years ago. He's part of Celtics history and to leave him out is not right when other Celtics like Frank Ramsey and the recent tom Sanders from Russell's era is in. Technically, Dave Cowens is the only Celtic post Russell-pre Larry in the Hall of Fame. I don't count Hondo since, he played with Russell since 1962.

Larry era Celtics there are 6 and Russell has a bunch (Cousy/Sharman/Heinsohn/Jones boys/Hondo/Ramsey/Sanders and others who played a few years and are in the Hall in Baily Howell, Clyde Lovellette, Arnie Risen and Andy Phillip.)

The Hondo/Cowens/White era, White should be added.

Yea I agree with that, now that I think about it, Jo Jo was a really good player and has 2 rings and 1 FMVP to his name, plenty of all-star games too and a couple of 2nd all-nba teams, he was never the clear-cut best player on a championship team but still.. when you look at players already in he should make it but there are a few bigger snubs.

Audio One
02-15-2014, 02:32 AM
JoJo White needs to be put in before any of these gentlemen get in

Audio One
02-15-2014, 02:33 AM
Spencer Haywood is the only lock.

Of the recent players in Hardaway, KJ, Zo and Richmond, I can see all of them getting in and I can see all of them missing the cut In Reggie Miller's first year up, he didn't even make the finalist.

Great mention! I totally agree, however this is the guy that sued the NBA, so Iono...

InspiredLebowski
02-15-2014, 03:28 AM
Slick Leonard's speech is going to make me cry. Rajah, Mel, Reggie, all those guys getting inducted cut me deep. But Slick's like the awesome uncle to every Pacers fan. The franchise probably wouldn't exist without him and Nancy.

duskovujosevic
02-15-2014, 06:05 AM
Also announced today are five Direct Elects who are the initial members of the Class of 2014. They include Bob Leonard voted in from the American Basketball Association (ABA) Committee, Nat Clifton from the Early African American Pioneers Committee, Sarunas Marciulionis from the International Committee, Guy Rodgers from the Veterans Committee and David Stern from the Contributor Direct Election Committee.

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2014, 09:10 AM
Scott Howard-Cooper: Chris Webber was not nominated for the Hall of Fame. That is usually done by a former team or college, but anyone can do it. No one did.

Twitter @SHowardCooper

InspiredLebowski
02-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Scott Howard-Cooper: Chris Webber was not nominated for the Hall of Fame. That is usually done by a former team or college, but anyone can do it. No one did.

Twitter @SHowardCooperSurprised no one nominated him, victim of Sacto's regime change probably, but whatever. Webber was great but not a HOFer.

Euroleague
02-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Still no freaking Nikos Galis?

:facepalm

I guess he will get elected next year. Since Vlade Divac got elected, then Oscar Schmidt, and now Sarunas Marciulionis.

I cannot imagine who in the freaking world is left to elect instead of him...........

It's funny though, because for years in this forum I said Schmidt and Marciulionis should be in the hall of fame and 95%+ of the people in this forum called me a troll and said I should be banned for saying that.

Now they are both in there. Once again proving who the REAL trolls in this forum are.

L.Kizzle
02-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Surprised no one nominated him, victim of Sacto's regime change probably, but whatever. Webber was great but not a HOFer.
It's his first time being eligible, he will get in.

Reggie Miller wasn't even on the ballot the first time he was eligible.

kNicKz
02-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Chris Webber is a HoFer I think. He changed the college game forever and was great in the NBA. Dude got his # retired by the Kings

L.Kizzle
02-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Chris Webber is a HoFer I think. He changed the college game forever and was great in the NBA. Dude got his # retired by the Kings
Chris Webber never played college ball ...

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2014, 08:15 PM

:coleman:

D.J.
02-15-2014, 08:25 PM
Amazing how Mitch Richmond still isn't in. One of the most consistent players ever to play the game. Not his fault he played on shit teams.

Michigan in '93 ring a bell?

Locked_Up_Tonight
02-15-2014, 10:27 PM
What Kizzle is implying:

Everything from Webber's stint with Michigan has been erased. Games, wins, etc etc.

The sanctions on him pretty much is making like he never existed on the Fab Five.

Collie
02-15-2014, 11:08 PM
Chris Webber and the Fab Five are stricken from the record books, so technically he didn't play college ball.