PDA

View Full Version : Melo willing to take a home town discount for Knicks

Knicksfever2010
02-14-2014, 08:11 PM
http://nypost.com/2014/02/14/carmelo-ill-re-sign-on-cheap-if-i-like-knicks-plan/

oarabbus
02-14-2014, 08:12 PM
What an idiot. He can't say he wants to win a championship at any cost and then say he's willing to take a hometown discount for the Knicks :facepalm those two are mutually exclusive

TheMarkMadsen
02-14-2014, 08:15 PM
who in this FA class could the Knicks realistically sign that would turn them around?

Knicks need an entire overhaul of their roster.

smoovegittar
02-14-2014, 08:33 PM
who in this FA class could the Knicks realistically sign that would turn them around?

Knicks need an entire overhaul of their roster.

This is gonna be a 2 year plan. I don't think much gets done next besides a new coach. But I'm hopeful for the best...

BlazerRed
02-14-2014, 08:38 PM
What an idiot. He can't say he wants to win a championship at any cost and then say he's willing to take a hometown discount for the Knicks :facepalm those two are mutually exclusive
This. WTF? :biggums:

Blue&Orange
02-14-2014, 09:03 PM
As far as the money goes, it’s not my concern. My concern is to be able to compete on a high level, a championship level, coming in this last stretch of my career. I want to compete at that level.
Let's all remember Melo could have signed with the Knicks has a FA. He would be competing at championship level if he didn't gutted the Knicks.

But yeah if Melo takes a paycut and Amare opts out and takes a significantly smaller but longer contract, knicks could have some room to a least acquire a PG that actually deserves to play in the NBA.

b1imtf
02-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Define cheap.

Boarder Patrol
02-14-2014, 09:08 PM
Maybe something starting at around 18 million.

niko
02-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Let's all remember Melo could have signed with the Knicks has a FA. He would be competing at championship level if he didn't gutted the Knicks.

But yeah if Melo takes a paycut and Amare opts out and takes a significantly smaller but longer contract, knicks could have some room to a least acquire a PG that actually deserves to play in the NBA.
Because Gallo and Chandler would magically have not broken down like they always did and because those are championship caliber pieces.

You serious?

longtime lurker
02-14-2014, 09:49 PM

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/this%20is%20not%20good/grand/nicholas-cage-reverse-laugh-this-is-not-good-6bb61e3b7bce0931da574d19d1d82c88-2613.gif

You honestly can't be this delusional

JohnFreeman
02-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Why would you take a discount? Melo, you don't want or care for championships, stop lying.

JohnFreeman
02-15-2014, 12:08 AM
Knicks have no first rounders do they? Trade away Amares awful contract for love or some shit

NugzFan
02-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Knicks have no first rounders do they? Trade away Amares awful contract for love or some shit

:oldlol:

NumberSix
02-15-2014, 12:51 AM
The only possible reason to stay is the extra money.

JohnFreeman
02-15-2014, 12:51 AM
:oldlol:
Who gives a shit about the Knicks anyway.

NuggetsFan
02-15-2014, 12:59 AM
Because Gallo and Chandler would magically have not broken down like they always did and because those are championship caliber pieces.

Yeah Gallo gets hurt still an asset you coulda flipped as soon as the offseason after you got Melo. Gallo, Chandler, Mozzy are pieces that coulda been used. Same with Felton. We flipped him for Dre and Jordan Hamilton I believe, Dre for sure and a pick swap for J-Ham. That's not even taking into account your first round pick this year and the right to swap in '16. Tons of pieces to keep, move around, build with etc.

Melo really did himself dirty. Scared of the new CBA and wanted his extension. It was always NY yet helped Denver get a trade, even let the NJ rumors go nuts. Love that he did it for us, but if money wasn't an option he woulda pulled a LeBron/Bosh etc. on Denver.

Seriously can't think NY wouldn't be in a waaaaaay better position if Melo waited until FA and went to NY instead of taking everything NY had to offer for him?

bdreason
02-15-2014, 02:39 AM
Knicks have no plan. That's the problem.

Sarcastic
02-15-2014, 02:45 AM
Who gives a shit about the Knicks anyway.

A lot of people apparently, considering they are the NBA's most valuable team.

JohnFreeman
02-15-2014, 02:51 AM
A lot of people apparently, considering they are the NBA's most valuable team.
True. Do you think Melo is just saying he wants a championship? I always had the feeling with him that he just wants his paper.

Patrick Chewing
02-15-2014, 02:54 AM
Knicks need to do the opposite of what they always do. Trading him while his value is what it is will be the best thing for the team's future. I'm sure they can find a team who's willing to take Melo aaaand a combo of him and Chandler/Bargnani.

JohnFreeman
02-15-2014, 03:02 AM
Knicks need to do the opposite of what they always do. Trading him while his value is what it is will be the best thing for the team's future. I'm sure they can find a team who's willing to take Melo aaaand a combo of him and Chandler/Bargnani.
Melo for David Lee + Iguodala?

Sarcastic
02-15-2014, 04:08 AM
True. Do you think Melo is just saying he wants a championship? I always had the feeling with him that he just wants his paper.

Of course he wants to win. If he brings a ring to N.Y. he will be the biggest star in the city since Mickey Mantle.

JohnFreeman
02-15-2014, 04:09 AM
Of course he wants to win. If he brings a ring to N.Y. he will be the biggest star in the city since Mickey Mantle.
I dunno. I thought he might be saying it to get the media off his back

InspiredLebowski
02-15-2014, 04:20 AM
Knicks have no plan. That's the problem.This. I feel for Knicks fans, but until Dolan sells the team or a GM/Prez with the required gravitas gets hired to tell him to shut the **** up they're just oging to keep treading water. Their entire plan is "we're in NYC."

JohnFreeman
02-15-2014, 04:22 AM
This. I feel for Knicks fans, but until Dolan sells the team or a GM/Prez with the required gravitas gets hired to tell him to shut the **** up they're just oging to keep treading water. Their entire plan is "we're in NYC."
There should be a system put in place, were the NBA can force an owner to sell. Bit like the maloofs

Blue&Orange
02-15-2014, 07:13 AM
Yeah Gallo gets hurt still an asset you coulda flipped as soon as the offseason after you got Melo. Gallo, Chandler, Mozzy are pieces that coulda been used. Same with Felton. We flipped him for Dre and Jordan Hamilton I believe, Dre for sure and a pick swap for J-Ham. That's not even taking into account your first round pick this year and the right to swap in '16. Tons of pieces to keep, move around, build with etc.

Melo really did himself dirty. Scared of the new CBA and wanted his extension. It was always NY yet helped Denver get a trade, even let the NJ rumors go nuts. Love that he did it for us, but if money wasn't an option he woulda pulled a LeBron/Bosh etc. on Denver.

Seriously can't think NY wouldn't be in a waaaaaay better position if Melo waited until FA and went to NY instead of taking everything NY had to offer for him?
I forgot the Nets thing... he played that card very well.

r0drig0lac
02-15-2014, 08:08 AM
What an idiot. He can't say he wants to win a championship at any cost and then say he's willing to take a hometown discount for the Knicks :facepalm those two are mutually exclusive:applause: :lol

InspiredLebowski
02-15-2014, 08:26 AM
There should be a system put in place, were the NBA can force an owner to sell. Bit like the maloofsThere is, it's called ticket sales. But that's the "problem" with the massive markets, NYC's got like 8 million people, that's 20% or so more than my entire state, and they can all theoretically take the train to MSG. Dude that's been living and dying with the team since the Ewing lotto that gives up his season tix isn't a voice, those tix are snatched up the next day.

There're good and bad with the big markets, more good than bad. Maybe I'm rationalizing, but the mid to small markets are a helluva lot more in tune with what their diehards want to see, and honestly, that they can afford.

JohnFreeman
02-15-2014, 08:27 AM
There is, it's called ticket sales. But that's the "problem" with the massive markets, NYC's got like 8 million people, that's 20% or so more than my entire state, and they can all theoretically take the train to MSG. Dude that's been living and dying with the team since the Ewing lotto that gives up his season tix isn't a voice, those tix are snatched up the next day.

There're good and bad with the big markets, more good than bad. Maybe I'm rationalizing, but the mid to small markets are a helluva lot more in tune with what their diehards want to see, and honestly, that they can afford.
Yeah but owners can't lose the team because of bad ticket sales

Trentknicks
02-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Yeah but owners can't lose the team because of bad ticket sales
Exactly, so stop talking trash about Knicks fans because they've been die hard fans for their team through horrible years, absolutely horrible years. 95% of other teams couldn't keep their fans through that. As a Knick fan, I know under Dolan there's only a 2% chance we win a chip during his reign, but still turn up to every game and go hard for my team anyway.

Derka
02-15-2014, 09:30 AM
You should want him gone. He is championship kryptonite.

JohnFreeman
02-15-2014, 09:33 AM
Exactly, so stop talking trash about Knicks fans because they've been die hard fans for their team through horrible years, absolutely horrible years. 95% of other teams couldn't keep their fans through that. As a Knick fan, I know under Dolan there's only a 2% chance we win a chip during his reign, but still turn up to every game and go hard for my team anyway.
When did I trash the fans?

Trentknicks
02-15-2014, 09:35 AM
You should want him gone. He is championship kryptonite.
You live in Massachusetts, take your tongue and fist out of your sister butt then join the conversation.
RIP.

smoovegittar
02-15-2014, 09:36 AM

Thank You :applause:

Derka
02-15-2014, 09:39 AM
You live in Massachusetts, take your tongue and fist out of your sister butt then join the conversation.
RIP.

:wtf: Whoever suggested Third Grade Insults for Dummies to you as a source for copying insults, they're not doing you any favors.

Meanwhile I understand if Massachusetts' 17 NBA titles makes people a bit salty. :)

Trentknicks
02-15-2014, 09:47 AM
:wtf: Whoever suggested Third Grade Insults for Dummies to you as a source for copying insults, they're not doing you any favors.

Meanwhile I understand if Massachusetts' 17 NBA titles makes people a bit salty. :)
Will admit kinda, look at one side of my apartment and see the East river, then see central park from the other and feel a lot better :D

bigwebb5000
02-15-2014, 11:00 AM

I'm still laughing at this :roll:

CelticBaller
02-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Will admit kinda, look at one side of my apartment and see the East river, then see central park from the other and feel a lot better :D
Yup knowing your team hasn't won shit compared to his city where championships are won yearly really makes you feel better

JohnFreeman
02-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Yup knowing your team hasn't won shit compared to his city where championships are won yearly really makes you feel better
Cold. I always loved Boston vs Knicks. Pierce feasted on those punks

Olacinco
02-15-2014, 11:41 AM
I think there prepared to lose for 1 more season in the meantime lock melo down for a long term contract.... Fire Woodson and bring in sum1 good... And let Hardaway develop into a franchise SG

Then 2015 they go after rondo AND k-love ..

Don't know who would play center maybe they resign chandler but rondo/Hardaway/melo/love as the core would be a legit contender

smoovegittar
02-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Cold. I always loved Boston vs Knicks. Pierce feasted on those punks

Kinda like the way Oakley beasted on Walker? You weren't always that great.

JUDGE WITNESS
02-15-2014, 03:34 PM
lol knicks

Professor Griff
02-15-2014, 03:41 PM
I hate to say it but Melo probably needs to leave if he wants a chance at a ring. We misses the boat on unloading Shump when he had value, Amare is a shell of his old self, and JR is becoming a worse version of Hardaway. The team is in a horrible spot to rebuild and organizational drama will scare away any FAs.

NoGunzJustSkillz
02-15-2014, 04:20 PM
kobe to the knicks?

IncarceratedBob
02-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Amare has stated he has lost love for the game and is leaning towards retirement so he can continue to build is clothing brand.

smoovegittar
02-16-2014, 09:28 AM
kobe to the knicks?
Wilt Chamberlain to the Knicks?

CelticBaller
02-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Kinda like the way Oakley beasted on Walker? You weren't always that great.
Walker? :oldlol:

niko
02-16-2014, 10:44 AM

This is a very silly argument, do you really care about what titles your city won in being happy where you live? I used to love NY, but the Knicks never won a title, now I really want to move to Miami. :lol Come on...

niko
02-16-2014, 10:51 AM

But he didn't. And seriously, I'm tired of hearing about the great position Denver is in, great position to do what? You're running in place, every big piece you have you give multiple years at a lot of money, and the one semi star you got ran away as fast as he could. And you had a great GM and you let him go. Are you in as bad place as the Knicks? **** no, but are you moving toward a title? No. Unequivocally no.

This is ridiculous, Denver fans still want to bag on Melo despite the fact he left and you are going to be first round out, first round out, miss playoffs. THe success is mind boggling.

CelticBaller
02-16-2014, 11:00 AM
This is a very silly argument, do you really care about what titles your city won in being happy where you live? I used to love NY, but the Knicks never won a title, now I really want to move to Miami. :lol Come on...
This is sports forum, all we talk about here is sports. I don't care where you are from, if you ain't winning shit you can't talk smack about someone else city. Go to the OTC or somewhere else.

Oh and I lived in NY too, and I rather stay in ct than move back

niko
02-16-2014, 11:16 AM
This is sports forum, all we talk about here is sports. I don't care where you are from, if you ain't winning shit you can't talk smack about someone else city. Go to the OTC or somewhere else.

Oh and I lived in NY too, and I rather stay in ct than move back

You don't even live in Boston but you are criticizing NY (lower than Boston) but you live in CT. And i was aiming that comment at Trentknicks too. Saying "my city is better than yours because we have more titles" is silly, sports forum or no. Especially when it's not your city.

I've been to CT more time than i can count, you're welcome to it. You lived in Boston, NY and you rather be in CT?

PsychoBe
02-16-2014, 11:18 AM
melo reportedly asked the knicks organization if they could give him a discount at every vending machine in the arena.

niko
02-16-2014, 11:20 AM
This is a silly topic btw, are aren't sure if he actually will take a discount, and i took all he said as a threat at the Knicks to improve or else.

kenny817
02-16-2014, 11:23 AM
melo reportedly asked the knicks organization if they could give him a discount at every vending machine in the arena.

zzzzzzzzz

DStebb716
02-16-2014, 04:31 PM

He couldn't have signed as a FA. Not even for a paycut. He would've been getting paid half of what he is now which it's unreasonable to expect him to take that much of a paycut.

DStebb716
02-16-2014, 04:35 PM
This has nothing to do with this offseason. It's about the future in general. Taking a paycut won't help immediately as they will still be over the cap this offseason, but it would help significantly in 2015. They could go out and sign one of the big-time free agents of that year (Love, Rondo, Irving, Kemba, LMA, Marc Gasol) AND another piece or two.

ImKobe
02-16-2014, 04:38 PM
I don't see Melo taking less to stay in NY. Why would he do that after a year like this? He might as well take less to play in another big market and he could find himself in a winning situation instantly.

DStebb716
02-16-2014, 04:43 PM
No matter how much anybody hates the Knicks the clear appeal for stars is that winning in NY would trump winning in any other market RIGHT NOW. I'm not saying all-time or in the future, but NY is writhing for a championship. If LeBron, Melo or some other star were to bring one to NY then their star power increases tenfold INSTANTLY. Say LeBron was to somehow end up in NY and win a championship there... He would instantly move into every top five everywhere and have a legitimate shot at being considered the GOAT.

Unfortunately, there are just too many downfalls in NY for anybody to actually pursue that level of stardom there. James Dolan is a ****ing idiot. They constantly fire the wrong people. Hire the wrong coaches. Sign terrible contracts. Move draft picks for eternity in exchange for players that don't work out.

If I'm Melo, I leave. Realistically. But I don't see that happening.

smoovegittar
02-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Walker? :oldlol:

Antoine Walker. How soon they forget...

kurple
02-16-2014, 07:28 PM
I'm tired of hearing about the great position Denver is in
who have said that the last 8 months? since you are so tired of hearing about it

both nuggets and knicks are shit at the moment. but at least the nuggets got more assets to make trades and good draft picks going forward.

and i dont believe melo will take a discount. i'll believe it when i see it