PDA

View Full Version : Patty Mills...

plowking
02-19-2014, 03:47 AM
Dude has been balling lately. 16/3/2 on 50/40/94 over the last 9 games...

Essentially whenever he gets minutes, he does decently. Its interesting that there is hardly ever any talk about him being a decent back up, or even potential starter for teams when you see players like Norris Cole (using the team I support as an example) get that type of hype when they aren't nearly as good or polished IMO.

Whats the deal Spurs fans? Why doesn't he get more time? He can put points on the board in no time, is a handful for the opposition due to his speed and even spacing with his shooting.

TMT
02-19-2014, 04:08 AM
Pop is inclined more to give Corey Joseph starter status when TP is out because of his defense, but Patty Mills' offense is light years ahead. I wouldn't say Patty is a true PG either which is another reason why Pop sways toward Joseph. Patty puts in good effort on D but he is small. Even tonight looked tiny against CP3.

Either way the guy can put up points in a hurry, and deserves a solid role in the rotation.

kurple
02-19-2014, 04:11 AM
i've been a fan of mills since the summer he was drafted. wanted denver to get him

bdreason
02-19-2014, 04:13 AM
If he wasn't 5'10" he would be a perennial NBA starter.

Sharmer
02-19-2014, 04:16 AM
Dude has been balling lately. 16/3/2 on 50/40/94 over the last 9 games...

Essentially whenever he gets minutes, he does decently. Its interesting that there is hardly ever any talk about him being a decent back up, or even potential starter for teams when you see players like Norris Cole (using the team I support as an example) get that type of hype when they aren't nearly as good or polished IMO.

Whats the deal Spurs fans? Why doesn't he get more time? He can put points on the board in no time, is a handful for the opposition due to his speed and even spacing with his shooting.

Been wasted by Pop, he's a starting PG in this league now.

Artillery
02-19-2014, 04:22 AM
Aussie Nate Robinson. Good bench player but he's not good enough to be a starter in the league.

Sharmer
02-19-2014, 04:23 AM
He's a better shooter than Nate and ball handler.

Artillery
02-19-2014, 04:32 AM

Has Nate ever played in a system like the Spurs? Look at Belli. Turned into one of the best 3 pt-shooters in the league after joining SA.

TMT
02-19-2014, 04:32 AM
Aussie Nate Robinson. Good bench player but he's not good enough to be a starter in the league.

Because they are both small point guards? :lol
The two have quite different games actually.

salwan
02-19-2014, 04:39 AM
I like having him on my nba2k team due to his quickness and shooting. :applause:

kurple
02-19-2014, 04:48 AM
:biggums:

:coleman:

Combat Wombat
02-19-2014, 04:50 AM
Don't know if any of you saw him play during the last Olympic's but Mill's was a beast for Australia. It's a shame that Bogut was injured because him and Mill's would have made a nice 1-2 punch and maybe would've even made a bit more noise against the Dream Team.

HarryCallahan
02-19-2014, 05:11 AM
He's been good all year. Went from 4th in the depth chart to second over the off-season.

I credit a lot of his improved performance to being able to play with Manu and Belinelli, two great ball-handlers and playmakers. They allow Patty to play off-ball more, which is his strong-suit.

CJ Mustard
02-19-2014, 05:28 AM
Best towel waver in the league.

ImKobe
02-19-2014, 05:30 AM
Spurs have looked better with Patty on the floor than with Parker. Patty is an explosive scorer and his defense is pretty much the same as Parker's - medicore.

Patty is a decent shooter and he can run the P&R, I still see him improving his playmaking. If Spurs had this Patty starting for them in place of Parker in last year's Finals, I think Spurs would have won it. He only got garbage time in the Finals, which is sad considering that Parker was injured and played horribly in Games 6 & 7.

andremiller07
02-19-2014, 06:31 AM
He could put up comparable stats to the likes of Isaiah Thomas and provide better defence than most PG's if given consistent shots/mins. Dude is a little beast one of the best bench players in the NBA, could be a starter in the right system.

plowking
02-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Pop is inclined more to give Corey Joseph starter status when TP is out because of his defense, but Patty Mills' offense is light years ahead. I wouldn't say Patty is a true PG either which is another reason why Pop sways toward Joseph. Patty puts in good effort on D but he is small. Even tonight looked tiny against CP3.

Either way the guy can put up points in a hurry, and deserves a solid role in the rotation.

Patty can't be any more of a detriment on the defensive side than any of the other smaller guards like Lawson and Thomas. Hes as quick as both IMO.

Just seems to be someone that isn't being used as much as he could be, but that's from the outside looking in, and those type of players are always viewed more favorably from the outside, since I'm not taking the time to really look into his flaws. I guess its the same thing with any rotation player on another team when they play well. Everyone is intrigued and wants them on their team, but they don't really look into the bad side of the player.

Is there anything Mills does poorly on the court or should improve on? Clearly his shooting and penetrating is up to par.

All Net
02-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Spurs always seem to find somebody stepping up for them.

HarryCallahan
02-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Patty can't be any more of a detriment on the defensive side than any of the other smaller guards like Lawson and Thomas. Hes as quick as both IMO.

Just seems to be someone that isn't being used as much as he could be, but that's from the outside looking in, and those type of players are always viewed more favorably from the outside, since I'm not taking the time to really look into his flaws. I guess its the same thing with any rotation player on another team when they play well. Everyone is intrigued and wants them on their team, but they don't really look into the bad side of the player.

Is there anything Mills does poorly on the court or should improve on? Clearly his shooting and penetrating is up to par.

Defence, creating opportunities for others, shot selection. He's constantly improving in all three of these categories though. Ithink he's a long-term solution for the Spurs at back-up guard.

JohnFreeman
02-19-2014, 09:18 AM
One of the NBA players I have met :D

MichaelCorleone
02-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Playing on the Spurs really does bring out your best.

plowking
02-20-2014, 01:22 AM
Another big game from him and making timely shots in the clutch so far.

They look far better with him on the floor than with Joseph. I said the same thing last year, but a few on here stated otherwise. I doubt Patty got that much better than Joseph in the off season. I think its just a case of him being trusted more, and finally being able to play a bit more freely.

EDIT: As I type all of that, Pop for some reason takes Patty out and puts Joseph in...

TMT
02-20-2014, 01:43 AM
Our two best victories of the season on back to back nights and Patty Mills leads the charge on both. :bowdown:

BigMacAttack
02-20-2014, 02:01 AM
Patty is a beast:bowdown:

Fallen Angel
02-20-2014, 02:12 AM
Not impressed. Poor mans Aaron Brooks.

JohnFreeman
02-20-2014, 02:14 AM
YGS go away

JohnFreeman
02-20-2014, 02:14 AM
YGS go away

leopoldstotch
02-20-2014, 02:26 AM
wins vs the the Clippers and Blazers? This may be the turning point for the Spurs.

Boarder Patrol
02-20-2014, 02:33 AM
wins vs the the Clippers and Blazers? This may be the turning point for the Spurs.

38-15, did they really need a turning point? That was missing Manu, Green, Splitter and Leonard for long stretches too.

alexd
02-20-2014, 02:42 AM
Has Nate ever played in a system like the Spurs? Look at Belli. Turned into one of the best 3 pt-shooters in the league after joining SA.
Belli could always shoot.He just needed the spacing and minutes

32MJ32
02-20-2014, 02:43 AM
He's a super hard worker - he got in career best shape (he's noticeably lighter to those who have followed him for a while) and his shot form is clearly more refined.

He's always been a shoot first player and he's not over thinking it or 2nd guessing himself anymore, which led to turnovers and bad decisions in previous seasons. He's just doing what he does best.

No way, in my opinion, that he ever develops into a traditional quarterback PG like CP3 or Nash but he could absolutely play 10 years in the NBA as a Barbosa or Dana Barros style small scoring guard who can get hot quickly.

If he keeps this up, I'll be surprised if there's not a lot of interest in him around the league as he is a free agent after this season.

TMT
02-20-2014, 02:52 AM
38-15, did they really need a turning point? That was missing Manu, Green, Splitter and Leonard for long stretches too.

Before these two wins, we were 1-11 against the Thunder, Heat, Clippers, Trailblazers and Pacers (and alot of these came before the injury bug came around). I'd say yeah, we needed a turning point. Your record can look good if you beat the teams your supposed to beat most of the time, but that record can also be misleading if you can't beat the best. Before the ASB we were a pretty middle of the road team by my standards. We look to be turning the corner now.

He's a super hard worker - he got in career best shape (he's noticeably lighter to those who have followed him for a while) and his shot form is clearly more refined.

He's always been a shoot first player and he's not over thinking it or 2nd guessing himself anymore, which led to turnovers and bad decisions in previous seasons. He's just doing what he does best.

No way, in my opinion, that he ever develops into a traditional quarterback PG like CP3 or Nash but he could absolutely play 10 years in the NBA as a Barbosa or Dana Barros style small scoring guard who can get hot quickly.

If he keeps this up, I'll be surprised if there's not a lot of interest in him around the league as he is a free agent after this season.

Great post. Love the Barbosa and Barros comparison.
He was definitely a bit pudgier in years past and no doubt he put in the work last offseason to get his body into peak physical shape. Mills is definitely limited because of his size but his emphasized effort on defense this year is making up for that. He's not great at running a system as a traditional PG like you said, but if he's on the floor with Parker, Ginobili, or Bellinelli he doesn't necessarily need to be. Pop is obviously giving him the green light to shoot on offense, showing his trust for him is flourishing. Good things in store for his future.

aboss4real24
02-20-2014, 02:55 AM
He earned himself a nice pay day with another tm.......in the offseason

(Knicks)

Sharmer
02-20-2014, 03:37 AM
Given more chances like today, Patty Mills showing that he's a starting PG in this league.

Euroleague
02-20-2014, 03:52 AM
Mills can score in bunches and can be instant offense, but he's got incredibly low basketball IQ.

The rest of the team can't be involved when he's in the game.

outbreak
02-20-2014, 04:16 AM
If patty were 6'4 he'd be a great shooting guard but he's not and he doesn't have the skill set to run the point fully while being too small to guard bigger guards. He fits best as a bench scoring option.

East_Stone_Ya
02-20-2014, 04:29 AM
that quick release :applause:

Euroleague
02-20-2014, 04:38 AM
If patty were 6'4 he'd be a great shooting guard but he's not and he doesn't have the skill set to run the point fully while being too small to guard bigger guards. He fits best as a bench scoring option.

I think he has the skills to play point guard just fine. He's every bit as skilled as 90% of the point guard in the NBA in that regard. Dragic isn't even a PG and people marvel at his "point guard skills" - he's not even a point guard.....

This is the NBA we are talking about. There basically is no such thing as a point guard anymore. I mean OK........Prigioni, but yeah, other than that really........

I think it's just his mentality. He's just score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score. That's just how he plays and thinks. He can score. He can score a lot of points and he just plays that way.

The problem is that he does not involve anyone else. So if he's in the game, no one else is touching the ball, no matter if you play him as a 1 or a 2, on the ball, or off the ball. Simply put, he's a freaking ball hog and he's just got a low basketball IQ.

But he can definitely score a lot of points quickly. If he would just not be such a ball hogging selfish score score score I want to score every time I touch the ball, then I think he could play more like the Argentine player Campazzo, and then he could really be something. Campazzo isn't known to NBA only fans, but he's one hell of a damn good player (the future everything of Argentine basketball).

It's too bad with Mills, because he really can light it up scoring wise, but he just sees nothing but scoring in his thought process. He has lots of talent if he would just use it right. I actually prefer Dellavedova as Australia's best guard. Less physically talented, but he's plays so much smarter and more under control.

Rooster
02-20-2014, 05:28 AM
I think he has the skills to play point guard just fine. He's every bit as skilled as 90% of the point guard in the NBA in that regard. Dragic isn't even a PG and people marvel at his "point guard skills" - he's not even a point guard.....

This is the NBA we are talking about. There basically is no such thing as a point guard anymore. I mean OK........Prigioni, but yeah, other than that really........

I think it's just his mentality. He's just score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score. That's just how he plays and thinks. He can score. He can score a lot of points and he just plays that way.

The problem is that he does not involve anyone else. So if he's in the game, no one else is touching the ball, no matter if you play him as a 1 or a 2, on the ball, or off the ball. Simply put, he's a freaking ball hog and he's just got a low basketball IQ.

But he can definitely score a lot of points quickly. If he would just not be such a ball hogging selfish score score score I want to score every time I touch the ball, then I think he could play more like the Argentine player Campazzo, and then he could really be something. Campazzo isn't known to NBA only fans, but he's one hell of a damn good player (the future everything of Argentine basketball).

It's too bad with Mills, because he really can light it up scoring wise, but he just sees nothing but scoring in his thought process. He has lots of talent if he would just use it right. I actually prefer Dellavedova as Australia's best guard. Less physically talented, but he's plays so much smarter and more under control.

I would rather have a one trick pony like him than

Someone who's prone to turnovers

And can't shoot

At least with Mills

You can ride him when he's hot

He has a role and a purpose

Breezy
02-20-2014, 05:35 AM
Been saying it for years!!! Mills>Wilt Chamberlain

I didn't arbitrarily pick this sick ass profile pic. I did it cause I know hoopz!

JohnFreeman
02-20-2014, 05:36 AM
I saw him play for Australia against New Zealand. He got in a fight with a 6,7 guy and was like a pitbull :oldlol:

Anaximandro1
02-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Patty

:bowdown:

T_L_P
02-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Last 6 games:

21.0 PPG / 3.6 RPG / 2.6 APG / 1.0 SPG / .540 FG% / 22.7 MPG

TMT
02-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Last 6 games:

21.0 PPG / 3.6 RPG / 2.6 APG / 1.0 SPG / .540 FG% / 22.7 MPG

Incredible numbers.

And for whoever is saying Mills is a ballhog, I think you underestimate how difficult it is not to move the ball around in this San Antonio system. There's a difference between hogging the ball and being given the green light by Greg Popovich.