PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers Making Deng Available in Trades

Meticode
02-19-2014, 12:22 PM
They aren't pushing trades, but they are testing to see what teams will offer. Cavaliers obviously aren't confident they can resign him....

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10481889/luol-deng-made-available-cleveland-cavaliers-ahead-nba-trade-deadline

abuC
02-19-2014, 12:24 PM
They aren't pushing trades, but they are testing to see what teams will offer. Cavaliers obviously aren't confident they can resign him....

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10481889/luol-deng-made-available-cleveland-cavaliers-ahead-nba-trade-deadline

A center would be a nice return for him, don't think Zeller is starting material.

Meticode
02-19-2014, 12:29 PM
A center would be a nice return for him, don't think Zeller is starting material.
I tend to agree with you. The biggest problem the Cavs face is what they're are facing right now. The only way I see a team taking a chance on him is because they are making the playoffs and think he will help them make a great push in the playoffs. Because as I said, he's a free agent after this season. So he'll be a rental at the minimum. Also Deng cannot be traded with another Cavs player. He has to be traded by himself.

BlackWhiteGreen
02-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Deng for Asik and Ronnie Brewer?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mlxx9ss

Then Varejao and this year's pick to Boston for Green

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lqoe8lq

Meticode
02-19-2014, 12:30 PM

I don't see why Houston does this considering they have Parsons. Unless they want to run a small lineup with Howard Deng Parsons Harden and Lin.

BlackWhiteGreen
02-19-2014, 12:38 PM
I don't see why Houston does this considering they have Parsons. Unless they want to run a small lineup with Howard Deng Parsons Harden and Lin.

If they can't get anything else for Asik, it's basically Deng for Brewer and they save a little bit of $$. Would the Cavs do it?

Meticode
02-19-2014, 12:40 PM
If they can't get anything else for Asik, it's basically Deng for Brewer and they save a little bit of $$. Would the Cavs do it?
We re-hired Mike Brown. Anything is possible.

abuC
02-19-2014, 12:41 PM
I tend to agree with you. The biggest problem the Cavs face is what they're are facing right now. The only way I see a team taking a chance on him is because they are making the playoffs and think he will help them make a great push in the playoffs. Because as I said, he's a free agent after this season. So he'll be a rental at the minimum. Also Deng cannot be traded with another Cavs player. He has to be traded by himself.

I wonder if the Pistons would take him for Monroe & Villaneuva if they could get reassurance that he'd re-sign.

There's always the Hawes/Turner deal out there too.

Meticode
02-19-2014, 12:44 PM
I wonder if the Pistons would take him for Monroe & Villaneuva if they could get reassurance that he'd re-sign.

There's always the Hawes/Turner deal out there too.
That would be interesting. The biggest problem the Pistons have is the front court. OBvoiusly Drummond, Monroe and Smith cannot play on the floor at the same time. If that trade happen the Pistons spacing would improve greatly.

Deng to the Sixers doesn't seem viable. They're tanking.

BlackWhiteGreen
02-19-2014, 12:45 PM

You think it's a bad trade for the Cavs? Legit defensive C, turn Varejao into Green, plenty of trade assets left as well

DukeDelonte13
02-19-2014, 01:06 PM
That would be interesting. The biggest problem the Pistons have is the front court. OBvoiusly Drummond, Monroe and Smith cannot play on the floor at the same time. If that trade happen the Pistons spacing would improve greatly.

Deng to the Sixers doesn't seem viable. They're tanking.

deng isn't really a floor spacing wing though.

Tough call with Deng. I think he would stay in Cleveland if the cavs gave him a 4 year deal but with his health history and the miles he's logged on that body i doesn't make sense for the cavs to even do that.

I'd be nice if they can move him for an SF that's more capable than Gee or Clark on a better deal.

El Gato Negro
02-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Hope deng takes jack with him.

Meticode
02-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Deng cannot be traded with other Cavs, part of his trade clause. If the Cavs move him, it's only him in a specific trade.

DukeDelonte13
02-19-2014, 01:11 PM

I'm starting to warm up to keeping jack around. Even if he is redundant and making a little too much money.. I know Deng isn't going to be around forever and jack seems like a good guy to have on the roster especially if one of Dion or Kyrie goes down with an injury.

I'd love an experienced pass-first PG, but i guess we will see what happens. I'm not getting my hopes up.

El Gato Negro
02-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Deng cannot be traded with other Cavs, part of his trade clause. If the Cavs move him, it's only him in a specific trade.
No loop holes? deng.

El Gato Negro
02-19-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm starting to warm up to keeping jack around. Even if he is redundant and making a little too much money.. I know Deng isn't going to be around forever and jack seems like a good guy to have on the roster especially if one of Dion or Kyrie goes down with an injury.

I'd love an experienced pass-first PG, but i guess we will see what happens. I'm not getting my hopes up.
Jack has been better as of late, but he is stealing minutes from delly and cj :(

El Gato Negro
02-19-2014, 01:16 PM
:(

Meticode
02-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Cavs are in discussions with the Warriors and Kings about Deng apparently. NOt sure why the Kings would want him...unless they're trading Rudy Gay? Same thing with Warriors since they have Iggy+Barnes.

https://twitter.com/BrettNBA/status/436168706050109440

DukeDelonte13
02-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Cavs are in discussions with the Warriors and Kings about Deng apparently. NOt sure why the Kings would want him...unless they're trading Rudy Gay? Same thing with Warriors since they have Iggy+Barnes.

https://twitter.com/BrettNBA/status/436168706050109440

I can't see how Deng makes much sense for either of those teams. I now just read Chad Ford with a "Deng to Suns?" :oldlol:

Meticode
02-19-2014, 01:24 PM
I can't see how Deng makes much sense for either of those teams. I now just read Chad Ford with a "Deng to Suns?" :oldlol:
Unless the Warriors are departing with Barnes and will play Iggy between SF and SG.

jzek
02-19-2014, 01:34 PM
Any chance the Bulls can re-acquire him?

D-FENS
02-19-2014, 01:37 PM
I could see him being traded to the Lakers. He wants to go there and play with Kobe anyway

LBJMVP
02-19-2014, 02:19 PM
id do deng for barnes straight up... doubt it works salary wise though.

hawksdogsbraves
02-19-2014, 02:35 PM

You don't say?

PsychoBe
02-19-2014, 02:39 PM
deng to pacers.

secund2nun
02-19-2014, 02:40 PM

Then Varejao and this year's pick to Boston for Green

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lqoe8lq

The first trade would be great for Cleveland, but the 2nd trade would be terrible for Cleveland. A first and Andy for Green? Ripoff. Cleveland can get a much better deal for Andy than Green, let alone giving up a first and Andy for Green who is overrated and overpaid.

I<3NBA
02-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Any chance the Bulls can re-acquire him?
:yaohappy:

RedBlackAttack
02-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Cavs are reportedly talking to GSW about a deal that would involve Harrison Barnes. I would assume Jarrett Jack would be the Warriors' target.

Meticode
02-19-2014, 04:19 PM
Cavs are reportedly talking to GSW about a deal that would involve Harrison Barnes. I would assume Jarrett Jack would be the Warriors' target.
Brett Poirier said the Cavs were in talks with the Kings and Warriors about Deng. Not sure if it's related to this, but I mentioned it earlier that if the Warriors had interest in Deng my assumption is they would be looking to move Barnes and split Iggy's time between SF/SG/PG since he's a 3 position player. Plus the Warriors run small lineups anyway, I could see them playing Deng at PF sometimes.

Meticode
02-19-2014, 04:20 PM
deng to pacers.
Makes no sense.

Meticode
02-19-2014, 04:24 PM
If the Cavaliers trade Deng, I don't think the Cavaliers make the playoffs. Even if they are trying I don't think they make it. I wouldn't be against getting Barnes. It just sucks because Deng is the type of player that fits this team perfectly and I think he just needs to grow into, but there's no guarantee he resigns.

NumberSix
02-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Amazing that any superstar would want to leave such an awesome franchise.

Meticode
02-19-2014, 04:27 PM
It doesn't. The Warriors would have to get up 2-3 players for him with Barnes.

NattyPButter
02-19-2014, 04:27 PM
If the Cavaliers trade Deng, I don't think the Cavaliers make the playoffs. Even if they are trying I don't think they make it. I wouldn't be against getting Barnes. It just sucks because Deng is the type of player that fits this team perfectly and I think he just needs to grow into, but there's no guarantee he resigns.

all he has done since coming here is force shots, turn the ball over, and play bad defense. Even though a lot of those times he should help from his teammates but regardless his defense is overrated.

Meticode
02-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Amazing that a player posts career high numbers and they offer him less money to keep him than what he's getting now. Amazing.

Meticode
02-19-2014, 04:29 PM
all he has done since coming here is force shots, turn the ball over, and play bad defense. Even though a lot of those times he should help from his teammates but regardless his defense is overrated.
I revert back to what I said before in the post you quoted me on...

It just sucks because Deng is the type of player that fits this team perfectly and I think he just needs to grow into, but there's no guarantee he resigns.

NumberSix
02-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Amazing that a player posts career high numbers and they offer him less money to keep him than what he's getting now. Amazing.
I don't even know what you're talking about.

SilkkTheShocker
02-19-2014, 04:36 PM

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Meticode
02-19-2014, 04:39 PM
I don't even know what you're talking about.
Keep playing dumb or being it. Either way, ;)

niko
02-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Why would Deng resign? They brought him there, it's been a mess, it's not going to turn around quickly and it's Cleveland.

Meticode
02-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Why would Deng resign? They brought him there, it's been a mess, it's not going to turn around quickly and it's Cleveland.
Who says he would resign?

niko
02-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Who says he would resign?
The general point of the thread is cavs making deng available just in case he doesn't resign. If that is their thought they should trade him at all costs cause its pretty likely, no?

RedBlackAttack
02-19-2014, 05:12 PM
The rumor about Barnes has nothing to do with Deng. That wouldn't work, unless they threw in David Lee or something and that's not going to happen. Apparently, the Warriors have interest in bringing Jarrett Jack back. So, the trade would probably be Barnes/filler for Jack and maybe one of our mediocre picks.

What I'd like to do is make that trade happen and keep Deng. That way, we have an insurance policy if he doesn't re-sign, but it'll give us the rest of the season to try and convince him.

Yeah, Deng has struggled at times so far with the Cavs, but he's pretty clearly dealing with a nagging Achilles injury and the only remedy is time. He's playing through pretty significant pain to help the Cavs make a push. And, even a hobbled Deng is 10x better than any other 3 we have on the roster.

Send off Jack and a pick for Barnes/filler.

Finish the season with this lineup...

Kyrie Irving / Delly
Dion Waiters / CJ Miles
Luol Deng / Harrison Barnes
Anthony Bennett / Tristan Thompson
Anderson Varejao / Tyler Zeller

I think Varejao and Thompson need to be separated in the rotations. They just get in each others' way. Tristan has been so much better with Andy out of the lineup and the team's spacing is also much better.

I also think Bennett is getting to the point where he could handle starters minutes well. But, it could also work with Tristan/Zeller as the starters and bring Andy/Bennett off the bench. We could also go Bennett/Thompson against smaller teams.

I think that rotation makes the playoffs and we still have a shot at keeping Deng if the rest of the season continues the way it is going right now.

PsychoBe
02-19-2014, 05:14 PM
cavs aren't making the playoffs let's be real. the bobcats are more of a lock.

hawksdogsbraves
02-19-2014, 05:50 PM
The rumor about Barnes has nothing to do with Deng. That wouldn't work, unless they threw in David Lee or something and that's not going to happen. Apparently, the Warriors have interest in bringing Jarrett Jack back. So, the trade would probably be Barnes/filler for Jack and maybe one of our mediocre picks.

What I'd like to do is make that trade happen and keep Deng. That way, we have an insurance policy if he doesn't re-sign, but it'll give us the rest of the season to try and convince him.

Yeah, Deng has struggled at times so far with the Cavs, but he's pretty clearly dealing with a nagging Achilles injury and the only remedy is time. He's playing through pretty significant pain to help the Cavs make a push. And, even a hobbled Deng is 10x better than any other 3 we have on the roster.

Kyrie Irving / Delly
Dion Waiters / CJ Miles

I think Varejao and Thompson need to be separated in the rotations. They just get in each others' way. Tristan has been so much better with Andy out of the lineup and the team's spacing is also much better.

I also think Bennett is getting to the point where he could handle starters minutes well. But, it could also work with Tristan/Zeller as the starters and bring Andy/Bennett off the bench. We could also go Bennett/Thompson against smaller teams.

I think that rotation makes the playoffs and we still have a shot at keeping Deng if the rest of the season continues the way it is going right now.

Would you be willing to include a first in that trade for Barnes? Don't think it's happening otherwise.

Embers
02-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Only team that would want him is the Bobcats for mine. Cavs would need to accept a lower first round pick then they gave up for Deng though to get it done. Would have to be

Gordon + Portlands first rounder for Deng

NattyPButter
02-19-2014, 05:59 PM

Kyrie Irving / Delly
Dion Waiters / CJ Miles

With that line up I would hate to see Kyrie get hurt and Delly have to run point full time. A lot of fans overrate him but I see all his flaws and once he get a lot more mins ppl will see them too. The team better get that D-League stud PG.

RedBlackAttack
02-19-2014, 06:34 PM
With that line up I would hate to see Kyrie get hurt and Delly have to run point full time. A lot of fans overrate him but I see all his flaws and once he get a lot more mins ppl will see them too. The team better get that D-League stud PG.
Dion can run some point, though. Hell, Waiters is as good a playmaker as Jack from what I've seen this year. Delly might not be the savior, but he can handle the ball and knock down open shots. If Kyrie got hurt, the playmaking duties would shift over to Dion.

It's not like we'd be in a unique position. When most teams lose an All-Star, their team is in a bad spot.

Lamar Odumbb
02-19-2014, 06:49 PM
To me, Deng is like a Pau to Lakers in 2008 or Rasheed Wallace to the Pistons in 2004 type deal that would put a team over the top. Deng is a great defender and outside shooter.

Imagine Memphi, Clippers, Spurs, or Rockets adding Deng to their team.

RedBlackAttack
02-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Would you be willing to include a first in that trade for Barnes? Don't think it's happening otherwise.
Like I said, we'd probably have to include a mediocre pick. He's definitely not worth our own first-rounder. Maybe the first-rounder we have from Miami. We also have one from Memphis. I'm not really sure what Barnes' value is at this point. He's had a rough year, but he is still young and on a rookie contract.

secund2nun
02-19-2014, 07:13 PM
To me, Deng is like a Pau to Lakers in 2008 or Rasheed Wallace to the Pistons in 2004 type deal that would put a team over the top. Deng is a great defender and outside shooter.

Deng isn't anywhere that good. LA went from a first round loss team to the Western Conference Champs once they got Gasol. Deng would never make even close to that impact. Chicago improved after Deng left.

RedBlackAttack
02-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Deng isn't anywhere that good. LA went from a first round loss team to the Western Conference Champs once they got Gasol. Deng would never make even close to that impact. Chicago improved after Deng left.
Their team was playing a lot better prior to the Deng trade. They went into a semi-depression following Rose's injury, lost a bunch of games in a row. In the two weeks leading up to his being traded, the Bulls had already regained their mojo, going 6-2 in their previous 8 games. They continued winning at a nice rate after the trade.

The Cavs' record improved greatly after the Deng trade, too. They were 11-23 when the trade was made and 10-10 since, playing their best basketball in years right now.

I would agree with you that he's not going to have close to the same kind of impact as prime Gasol, who was one of the very best bigs in the entire league at the time of that trade. He would certainly help any contender, though.

bdreason
02-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Are they even allowed to trade Deng?

bdreason
02-19-2014, 07:29 PM
oh read the article. Guess he just can't be packaged with another player.

RedBlackAttack
02-19-2014, 07:30 PM
oh read the article. Guess he just can't be packaged with another player.
How do you feel about trading Barnes in a deal that had Jack coming back and maybe a pick?

sfballa13
02-19-2014, 08:20 PM

Deng wont turn the Clippers or Grizzlies into Finals' hopefuls but he would have a gigantic impact on a team like OKC or Indiana.

Put Deng on either of those teams and they are favorites to win it all, period, especially Indy.

Miami doesnt beat an Indiana lineup when they can throw Deng at Lebron defensively and let George play offense all game.

Boarder Patrol
02-19-2014, 08:28 PM
Maybe this is why nobody will ever want to play for that **** organization.

Acquire the best player they've had since LeBron and immediately try to flip him. Nobody is ever going to that team unless you pay them twice their market value.

Meticode
02-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Maybe this is why nobody will ever want to play for that **** organization.

Acquire the best player they've had since LeBron and immediately try to flip him. Nobody is ever going to that team unless you pay them twice their market value.
I'm sure Cleveland would keep Deng, but he wants to test the market. So you either take a chance and let him walk, or get something for him.

ProfessorMurder
02-19-2014, 11:59 PM
Deng for Granger straight up.

Deng for Emeka straight up.

Would Cleveland entertain either of those? The Granger one would potentially f*ck over another LeBron championship, they both expire. Emeka would save money with insurance and they both expire.

RedBlackAttack
02-20-2014, 12:54 AM
Deng for Granger straight up.

Deng for Emeka straight up.

Would Cleveland entertain either of those? The Granger one would potentially f*ck over another LeBron championship, they both expire. Emeka would save money with insurance and they both expire.
It would be nice to throw another roadblock up in front of the Heat, but I'm not sure if either of these guys would really help us at all this season and we're making a real push for the playoffs, atm.

We'd be back to a really bad place with our SF situation if either of those deals happened. I don't think I can sit through another 25+ games of Earl Clark and Alonzo Gee playing extended minutes at the 3.

Now, if they could make some other additional move to bring in Barnes (looks unlikely now) or Jeff Green... something like that... then, deals like that might make a little more sense.

But, if all we're getting are expirers, it is almost better to just keep Deng since he's expiring too and a much better player than either.

ProfessorMurder
02-20-2014, 01:04 AM
It would be nice to throw another roadblock up in front of the Heat, but I'm not sure if either of these guys would really help us at all this season and we're making a real push for the playoffs, atm.

We'd be back to a really bad place with our SF situation if either of those deals happened. I don't think I can sit through another 25+ games of Earl Clark and Alonzo Gee playing extended minutes at the 3.

Now, if they could make some other additional move to bring in Barnes (looks unlikely now) or Jeff Green... something like that... then, deals like that might make a little more sense.

But, if all we're getting are expirers, it is almost better to just keep Deng since he's expiring too and a much better player than either.

What about:

Granger for Deng straight up.

Then Celtics give up Green/Bogans/Bradley for Waiters/Varejao/Gee?

Granger expires, but you get Green under contract. Bradley is a young gun who could play with Irving, and Bogans is only guaranteed money this season. You could cut him next year.

RedBlackAttack
02-20-2014, 01:12 AM
What about:

Granger for Deng straight up.

Then Celtics give up Green/Bogans/Bradley for Waiters/Varejao/Gee?

Granger expires, but you get Green under contract. Bradley is a young gun who could play with Irving, and Bogans is only guaranteed money this season. You could cut him next year.
I like the idea, but Waiters is off the table as far as I'm concerned after what I've seen lately... unless he was a piece in a really big deal for a star. Green is good and I like Bradley a lot, but I'm just loving Waiters right now. Allegedly, David Griffin has also already gone to Dion and told him he has no intention of trading him. It would be pretty bad to start your GM career off by completely contradicting yourself to a player who now seems very well liked on the team... and looks like one of the most talented young 2-guards in the league.

Maybe if we just took Waiters and Bradley off the table for each side? Celtics would probably be out at that point, though.

iamgine
02-20-2014, 01:18 AM
How about Deng for Josh Smith.

Deng is a much better fit for Detroit.

Smith goes back to his natural PF spot and prized rookie Bennett can develop at the 3.

win-win.

hawksdogsbraves
02-20-2014, 01:24 AM

Smith goes back to his natural PF spot and prized rookie Bennett can develop at the 3.

win-win.

Nobody's taking Josh Smith under any circumstances lol :oldlol:

ProfessorMurder
02-20-2014, 01:27 AM
I like the idea, but Waiters is off the table as far as I'm concerned after what I've seen lately... unless he was a piece in a really big deal for a star. Green is good and I like Bradley a lot, but I'm just loving Waiters right now. Allegedly, David Griffin has also already gone to Dion and told him he has no intention of trading him. It would be pretty bad to start your GM career off by completely contradicting yourself to a player who now seems very well liked on the team... and looks like one of the most talented young 2-guards in the league.

Maybe if we just took Waiters and Bradley off the table for each side? Celtics would probably be out at that point, though.

Ah the new GM probably saved Waiters then. Yeah I doubt Boston would give up Green for Varejao when they already have a bunch of hustle SFs and PFs.

I feel like Bradley and Waiters swap would benefit both teams, but who knows where either team is heading.

RedBlackAttack
02-20-2014, 01:48 AM

win-win.
Smith has arguably the worst contract in the entire NBA. And, Bennett's recent production is largely because he's no longer being forced to play out of position at the 3.

Cavs wouldn't touch that deal with a 10-foot pole. They'd be much more likely to try and make a play for Greg Monroe, but I don't see that happening either.

Meticode
02-20-2014, 01:57 AM
This really sucks. We're looking to trade a major part of our success just when when we have our longest winning streak in 4 years. :lol

RedBlackAttack
02-20-2014, 02:05 AM
This really sucks. We're looking to trade a major part of our success just when when we have our longest winning streak in 4 years. :lol
Lloyd's latest column should give you some insight into why the Cavs are exploring deals for Deng.

Apparently, he was more upset than anyone outside of the organization realized when Grant was fired.

[QUOTE] CLEVELAND: Seventeen thoughts for 17 points from Luol Deng in what could

Meticode
02-20-2014, 02:16 AM
Lloyd's latest column should give you some insight into why the Cavs are exploring deals for Deng.

Apparently, he was more upset than anyone outside of the organization realized when Grant was fired.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-cavaliers/cleveland-cavaliers-1.275356/cavs-101-magic-93-jason-lloyd-s-final-thoughts-on-the-nba-s-trade-deadline-day-1.467847
Good post. I hadn't gotten to his final thoughts yet. Looks like Jack going to the Warriors would be unlikely since they got Blake from the Lakers.

RedBlackAttack
02-20-2014, 02:28 AM
Good post. I hadn't gotten to his final thoughts yet. Looks like Jack going to the Warriors would be unlikely since they got Blake from the Lakers.
Word is we still may be working on a three-way deal with GSW and Sacramento that may involve Barnes coming here, Jack going to Sactown and them sending something to Golden State.

Guess we'll find out in the next 24 hours if it's real.

poido123
02-20-2014, 02:31 AM
Word is we still may be working on a three-way deal with GSW and Sacramento that may involve Barnes coming here, Jack going to Sactown and them sending something to Golden State.

Hmm interesting. Barnes with more opportunity could make Cleveland a very dangerous team indeed.

If they get him for no more than Jack? that would be a steal.

Meticode
02-20-2014, 02:32 AM

Not even... deadline is in less than 15 hours. 3PM today.

RedBlackAttack
02-20-2014, 02:40 AM
Hmm interesting. Barnes with more opportunity could make Cleveland a very dangerous team indeed.

If they get him for no more than Jack? that would be a steal.
We'd probably have to include a pick, I'd guess... But, we have plenty. Two 2nds this year and three 1sts in 2015. I'm not sure what the pricetag for Barnes would be at this stage. He has struggled quite a bit this year, but he's still on a really nice rookie contract and could probably flourish in the right role.

I never liked him all that much as a high pick in the draft and, in retrospect, I'm glad we took Waiters over him... But, that, doesn't mean I wouldn't be doing cartwheels if we got him for Jack and a mediocre pick.

RedBlackAttack
02-20-2014, 02:41 AM
Not even... deadline is in less than 15 hours. 3PM today.
Yeah, but deals will probably get done right at the deadline that we won't hear about until hours later. If you recall, the trade with the Clippers that got us the pick which eventually became Kyrie Irving wasn't even announced until like eight hours after the deadline had passed.

By this time tomorrow, if there was any deal done, we'll know about it.

aboss4real24
02-20-2014, 02:42 AM
Deng to pacers 4 Granger ...:confusedshrug:

RedBlackAttack
02-20-2014, 02:47 AM
You guys want an interesting read in retrospect, check out the Cavs-Clippers deal announcement from 2011.

Clippers Trade Baron Davis and a 2011 1st to Cavs for Mo Williams and Jamario Moon (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210382)

Who could have possibly known that this trade would result in a talent like Irving?

Oh yeah... me. :lol

02-24-2011, 02:47 AM:

I don't like giving up a high draft pick, even if a draft is THOUGHT to be weak. You just never know how the top guys are going to pan out. I've seen projected weak drafts feature several all-star players, especially when you are talking about picks 1-10.

If you are telling me that the Cavaliers are going to have two lottery picks to land at least one top flight player, I like our chances... Even in a down year in terms of overall talent.

The Cavs could get lucky and land two Top 5 picks. A Kyrie Irving/Perry Jones or Irving/Derrick Williams combo would be a nice start to getting things back rolling again.

Weak draft or no, this is a fine move by Chris Grant.

RBA :bowdown:

Yes, I speak in the third person.

Btw, meticode, check out the time this trade was announced... 2:30 a.m., well after the 3 p.m. deadline.

Meticode
02-20-2014, 03:25 AM
Very unlike you.

poido123
02-20-2014, 03:41 AM
You guys want an interesting read in retrospect, check out the Cavs-Clippers deal announcement from 2011.

Clippers Trade Baron Davis and a 2011 1st to Cavs for Mo Williams and Jamario Moon (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210382)

Who could have possibly known that this trade would result in a talent like Irving?

Oh yeah... me. :lol

02-24-2011, 02:47 AM:

RBA :bowdown:

Yes, I speak in the third person.

Btw, meticode, check out the time this trade was announced... 2:30 a.m., well after the 3 p.m. deadline.

Are you prepared to put your Nostradamus skills to the test and predict the next Cavs trade? :pimp:

Sharmer
02-20-2014, 03:55 AM

why change a team on a roll.

poido123
02-20-2014, 04:17 AM
why change a team on a roll.

Because the current team is not a title threat.

Add someone like Barnes to the team and other pieces? Who knows.

ImKobe
02-20-2014, 04:24 AM

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-25049-laughing-out-loud-lol-gif-Now-xlnU.gif

They will never be a title threat with the core that they have, but trading Deng would possibly ruin their chances of making the Playoffs. Right now they're playing well and if they keep it up they'll be in the POs the first time since The Decision.

Sharmer
02-20-2014, 04:26 AM

Barnes :biggums:

poido123
02-20-2014, 04:41 AM
Barnes :biggums:

He has publicly said that he is having trouble adjusting to coming off the bench this year.

I have no doubt he would thrive with a starting gig and more responsibility offensively.

DukeDelonte13
02-20-2014, 08:55 AM
He has publicly said that he is having trouble adjusting to coming off the bench this year.

I have no doubt he would thrive with a starting gig and more responsibility offensively.

the team is far better with Deng than Barnes shorterm. Longterm? who knows what Barnes can develop into.

I don't buy into these rumors though i haven't heard anything with Barnes' name in it from a reputable source.

I love Deng's game but unfortunately he's just not the type of player the cavs should sink 40 million dollars into whether he wants to stay or not.

TheReturn
02-20-2014, 10:07 AM
I wonder how many Bulls fans hope Deng comes back to us after this contract expires, like me..

poido123
02-20-2014, 10:13 AM
I wonder how many Bulls fans hope Deng comes back to us after this contract expires, like me..

On a very cheap contract? Sure.

That boat has long sailed now.

Meticode
02-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Latest reports are the Wizards are in talks about Deng now. I'm assuming Beal and Wall are untouchable probably. So I would guess everyone else would available, which would include Gortat, Nene, Ariza and Webster probably.

PleezeBelieve
02-20-2014, 11:29 AM
I don't see the Cavs taking back salary unless it's for Porter + a wing shooter

rufuspaul
02-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Only team that would want him is the Bobcats for mine. Cavs would need to accept a lower first round pick then they gave up for Deng though to get it done. Would have to be

Gordon + Portlands first rounder for Deng

We don't want to give up picks. That's why the Evan Turner and Gary Neal deals are on hold. How about Gordon's expiring + Bizmack Biyombo for Deng? :confusedshrug:

hawksdogsbraves
02-20-2014, 12:18 PM
We don't want to give up picks. That's why the Evan Turner and Gary Neal deals are on hold. How about Gordon's expiring + Bizmack Biyombo for Deng? :confusedshrug:

It's probably smart to hold onto picks, but getting Deng, (by giving up Portland's 1st) puts the Bobcats in legit contention for the three seed. The Bobcats committed to not tanking when they signed Jefferson, why not go for the best season in franchise history as they head into the Hornets v.2 era?

secund2nun
02-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Why is Deng so overrated? He is basically a system player. Chicago's record improved since he left and he didn't make Cleveland any better. He struggled in Cleveland.

Meticode
02-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Why is Deng so overrated? He is basically a system player. Chicago's record improved since he left and he didn't make Cleveland any better. He struggled in Cleveland.
He's a two way player. He has a decent offensive game and he plays great defense.

You can make the case Chicago improved when Rose went down too. Are you gong to say Rose isn't important to the team?

He's struggled in Cleveland, but he made them better. Even with him struggling he's giving you better output on defense/offensive compared to what Clark/Gee were giving. Hence is part of the reason why Cavs have the longest team winning streak in 4 years.

Marcus Thornton
02-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Unless the Cavs have a man crush on Biyombo, I don't think this would happen.

Meticode
02-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Cavs are in dicussions with the Wizards to send Deng there for Ariza as the main player involved. I'm there would have to be some fillers I think.

PleezeBelieve
02-20-2014, 01:37 PM
Cavs want perimeter shooting. I see Griffin working

Marcus Thornton
02-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Cavs are in dicussions with the Wizards to send Deng there for Ariza as the main player involved. I'm there would have to be some fillers I think.
The Wizards would have to send over Webster, Porter Jr., Beal, or Gortat to make it work. Also the Cavs would have to cut one of their players to make room on the roster.