PDA

View Full Version : The scary image fans of tanking teams dread

GOBB
02-21-2014, 04:47 PM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1/1653650_10201021957705968_602569148_n.jpg

MavsSuperFan
02-21-2014, 05:03 PM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1/1653650_10201021957705968_602569148_n.jpg
Thats the problem with a draft lottery.

I wish they would just do it like the NFL where the worst team gets the first pick, second worst gets the 2nd pick, etc. Champion gets the last pick

The lottery contributes to the lack of parity in basketball.
Also it makes some think the system is corrupt.

JimmyMcAdocious
02-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Wouldn't changing to the NFL rules make tanking worse?

Plus the lack of parity in the NBA has more to do with how superstar driven this league is. Stafford has all the tools in the world with the best weapon in the world and he isn't making the Lions contenders. If the Bucks land the next LeBron or Durant, they will be in contention in 2-4 years. I'm pretty sure of that.

Jameerthefear
02-21-2014, 05:47 PM
I get nervous thinking about it.We got luck on our sides though.

Bandito
02-21-2014, 06:16 PM
I get nervous thinking about it.We got luck on our sides though.
Don't forget the Lakers when we get your center:roll:

Kblaze8855
02-21-2014, 06:50 PM
I wish they would just do it like the NFL where the worst team gets the first pick, second worst gets the 2nd pick, etc. Champion gets the last pick

The two years before they put in the draft lottery had the most obvious second half tank jobs in NBA history. The Bulls, Rockets, Pacers, and clippers made a joke of the sport.

The Rockets at one point played 40 year old Elvin Hayes I think 55 minutes under the guise of getting him to 50,000 minutes for his career. They tanked their way to two straight #1 picks. They lost like 18 of 20 with funny lineups and "injuries" while the Bulls got rid of Reggie Theus(still a good player for several more years....dead middle of his prime) and just threw games.

It just couldnt be allowed.

RedBlackAttack
02-21-2014, 07:04 PM
If you guys think tanking is out of hand now? There's a reason the draft lottery was put into place. If the worst team just received the best player, you'd literally have 14-18 teams tanking every year there's a decent draft class... If not for the No. 1 pick, then a top 5-8 pick.

It would pretty much destroy the league. Like it or not, I truly believe the lottery is the best system in professional sports. It is enough of an incentive not to just completely stop trying for the vast majority of teams in the league and, at the same time, it gives hope to the fans of the really bad franchises that help may be on the way.

gts
02-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Not sure how going the NFL route would work

KBlaze makes some good historic points but is that really all that bad? What's worse 2 or 3 teams going all in on the tank or several teams faking it when they're tanking on some level?

I don't know, to me i'd rather see something else, some system where the draft picks go to where they really belong.. i hate that one team can actually suck so bad they don't have to tank but then lose the pick to a team that lost just enough games on purpose to get enough ping pong balls

one thing I'd do is make it so you can't have a top 5 pick more than once every 3 years and the number one pick once every 5 years..

Le Shaqtus
02-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Don't forget the Lakers when we get your center:roll:

Don't bet on it :facepalm

RoundMoundOfReb
02-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Thats the problem with a draft lottery.

In the NFL there usually isn't a MASSIVE difference between 1st and 2nd. Or even 1st and 6th 7th like the NBA. Tanking would be way worse than it is.

MavsSuperFan
02-22-2014, 02:54 AM
The two years before they put in the draft lottery had the most obvious second half tank jobs in NBA history. The Bulls, Rockets, Pacers, and clippers made a joke of the sport.

The Rockets at one point played 40 year old Elvin Hayes I think 55 minutes under the guise of getting him to 50,000 minutes for his career. They tanked their way to two straight #1 picks. They lost like 18 of 20 with funny lineups and "injuries" while the Bulls got rid of Reggie Theus(still a good player for several more years....dead middle of his prime) and just threw games.

It just couldnt be allowed.
At least you would get a mix of the good teams.:confusedshrug:

Maybe you are right, but the NBA to me is the no hope league. Rightly or wrongly I think the Cowboys have a chance every year (always proven to be wrong recently :( )

I dont think the Mavs have nearly as much hope. I would bet a fortune that either the Heat, Thunder, clippers or Pacers will win this year. And these teams look like they will be good for awhile.

IDK call me crazy but I think its suspicious Rose went to chicago.

Also is it really that important what happens at the bottom of the league? Does anyone care about the bucks?

I<3NBA
02-22-2014, 05:51 AM
relegation. that would end tanking pretty quick.

robert de niro
02-22-2014, 08:11 AM
relegation. that would end tanking pretty quick.
exactly, this is what i've been saying for years, it would stop this nonsense

trabash
02-22-2014, 08:17 AM
The Lakers or Celtics will get the number 1 pick. I have no doubt in my mind.

Olacinco
02-22-2014, 08:18 AM
I think bottom 3 should have a draw for 1,2,3 picks.. Because serious tanking like magic or the sixers deserves to be rewarded...

Then do a Draw for 4-10 bottom teams so they guarantee the bottom feeders a top 10 pick but not top 3 cuz a lot of these teams didn't plan on tanking..

Then from 11-30 go off record and playoff finish...

Every1 gets around what they are projected to get and no BS incidents like d rose or davis happen no more...

TiagoSimoes
02-22-2014, 10:54 AM
I think bottom 3 should have a draw for 1,2,3 picks.. Because serious tanking like magic or the sixers deserves to be rewarded...

its exactly the opposite, tanking should not be rewarded

Rameek
02-22-2014, 11:03 AM
The NBA teams has no integrity.

In the NFL there usually isn't a MASSIVE difference between 1st and 2nd. Or even 1st and 6th 7th like the NBA. Tanking would be way worse than it is.

I disagree. There is significant difference between those picks but the NFL roster has more room and time to determine if those players can be developed.

Because there is no true minor league system like baseball those mistakes or lack of development pretty much show instantaneously.

Psileas
02-22-2014, 11:19 AM

Nothing surprising at the numbers. The sample is too small to have any kind of serious statistical trend occur. It would literally take a few centuries under the same rule in order to have #1's separate themselves from the rest, #2's separate themselves from the rest, etc.

CelticBaller
02-22-2014, 11:25 AM
me not worried

is all about chance

Duderonomy
02-22-2014, 11:40 AM
http://philly.barstoolsports.com/files/2013/10/hinkie-generals.jpg

Olacinco
02-22-2014, 11:56 AM
its exactly the opposite, tanking should not be rewarded

No it should be.. Cuz teams like Milwaukee who I'm not even sure is trying to tank deserves a top 3 pick... With lakers and celtics lottery bound I bet they don't even get a top 4.. They end up drafting exum and continue to have 14 win seasons...

Worst record=best prospect... It's like that in nfl for a reason

MavsSuperFan
02-22-2014, 01:42 PM
No it should be.. Cuz teams like Milwaukee who I'm not even sure is trying to tank deserves a top 3 pick... With lakers and celtics lottery bound I bet they don't even get a top 4.. They end up drafting exum and continue to have 14 win seasons...

Worst record=best prospect... It's like that in nfl for a reason
You have made my argument better than I could.

Tanking although bad is not nearly as bad as the potential for favouritism in the draft lottery or even the potential of denying a bad team a top pick.

There is a very real possibility that the bucks are just this bad.

They should get the top pick because that might help them become good one day. That in the long run is what's best for the nba.

iamgine
02-22-2014, 01:52 PM
You have made my argument better than I could.

Tanking although bad is not nearly as bad as the potential for favouritism in the draft lottery or even the potential of denying a bad team a top pick.

There is a very real possibility that the bucks are just this bad.

They should get the top pick because that might help them become good one day. That in the long run is what's best for the nba.
If only every team are just as bad as their rank.

But tanking exist.

Solution?

navy
02-22-2014, 01:56 PM
There is no solution to tanking. Basketball will always be about individuals. Football is team sport.

D-FENS
02-22-2014, 04:44 PM

:wtf:

ImKobe
02-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Nothing surprising at the numbers. The sample is too small to have any kind of serious statistical trend occur. It would literally take a few centuries under the same rule in order to have #1's separate themselves from the rest, #2's separate themselves from the rest, etc.

This man understands math.