PDA

View Full Version : Will Melo Rank Higher Than Dirk on All Time List If...

Foster5k
02-22-2014, 11:22 AM
He wins a championship and final's mvp?

R.I.P.
02-22-2014, 11:27 AM

:oldlol:

16X
02-22-2014, 01:04 PM
:biggums:

BoutPractice
02-22-2014, 01:07 PM
There is no scenario under which Melo could ever end up ranking higher than Dirk on the all-time list. God could change the law of physics and that still wouldn't change.

chocolatethunder
02-22-2014, 01:10 PM
There is no way in hell that's possible.

TheMarkMadsen
02-22-2014, 01:17 PM
There is no way in hell that's possible.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147107&page=2

don't be that guy..

With the right team around him Melo could be the best player on a championship team.

mr.big35
02-22-2014, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=TheMarkMadsen]http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147107&page=2

don't be that guy..

With the right team around him Melo could be the best player on a championship team.[/QUOTE

cj mustard is back

DaSeba5
02-22-2014, 01:52 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/b30da8726527766d1f6b7e3778c70286/tumblr_mj5823ohgL1ru74s4o1_500.jpg

secund2nun
02-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Dirk is way better than Melo. Melo will never be ranked above Dirk.

BoutPractice
02-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Melo may still win a championship. The difference is all about level of play and impact. Dirk was a much better player than Melo when CJ Mustard made his infamous prediction. He didn't suddenly become the Dirk he's now known as in 2011 - anyone who followed him closely knew how good he truly was.

leMVP
02-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Melo and Dirk in same sentence, man..that :facepalm

leMVP
02-22-2014, 02:07 PM
The only knock on Dirk is?

Losing as #1 seed to the Warriors.

But other than that, the Guy has a classic top 20 all-time resume.

Melo on the other hand, well, his all-star warm up suit illustrate the difference.

Mass Debator
02-22-2014, 02:07 PM
If he wins a defensive player of the year, yes, he'd be above Dirk on my list.

ArbitraryWater
02-22-2014, 02:09 PM
:roll: :coleman: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

NumberSix
02-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Melo will rank higher if he joins the Heat and wins chips with the king.

sd3035
02-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Melo will rank higher if he joins the Heat and wins chips with the king.

That would be an unmitigated disaster, Melo would beat the crap out of Lebron in the parking lot after the first game. Lebron needs someone willing to be a beta like Wade, Bosh, or Durant, in order to continue his ballhogging

TheMarkMadsen
02-22-2014, 02:30 PM

Melo on the other hand, well, his all-star warm up suit illustrate the difference.

there's a lot more than that which would can be considered a knock on Dirk

IF Melo won a FMVP the perception of Melo would drastically change just as it did for Dirk.

BoutPractice
02-22-2014, 02:54 PM
But as someone who thought Dirk would be one of the undisputed all time greats long before he won a title, I think I can safely say that the perception of Dirk was wrong while the perception of Carmelo is mostly right (he's underrated right now because he's playing for a pathetic organization but he's on a whole tier below Dirk as a player, trust me). Melo is who he is, he's not going to change. If anything Dirk was better in the years before 2011, the title just put a spotlight on how great he was.

navy
02-22-2014, 02:55 PM
He needs two rings to pass Dirk. Dirk still has stats and longevity over him even in this hypothetical scenario.

rlsmooth775
02-22-2014, 02:57 PM
lol

TheMarkMadsen
02-22-2014, 03:01 PM
But as someone who thought Dirk would be one of the undisputed all time greats long before he won a title, I think I can safely say that the perception of Dirk was wrong while the perception of Carmelo is mostly right (he's underrated right now because he's playing for a pathetic organization but he's on a whole tier below Dirk as a player, trust me). Melo is who he is, he's not going to change. If anything Dirk was better in the years before 2011, the title just put a spotlight on how great he was.

wow

BoutPractice
02-22-2014, 03:13 PM
What's so shocking about that? It's not so hard to spot the difference between players who belong to broadly different "tiers" - especially to spot the ones who belong to the "exceptional" category, since they tend to do exceptional things. After 5 years in the league or more it usually becomes downright obvious. If someone couldn't tell by 2005 (first year without Nash) that Dirk was on that tier, then it would make sense that they would only figure it out circa 2011.

Just as it wasn't that hard to see that LeBron and Durant were a different kind of animal than even your typical NBA star. It's all about unfair competitive advantage. Dirk has an unfair competitive advantage of the kind Melo just doesn't have, it's as simple as that.

Prometheus
02-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Just the idea of Carmelo Anthony winning a Finals MVP... :oldlol:

MavsSuperFan
02-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Dirk also has an mvp

NBA champion (2011)
NBA Finals MVP (2011)
NBA Most Valuable Player (2007)

kentatm
02-22-2014, 03:58 PM
cj mustard is back

:yaohappy:

kobeef24
02-22-2014, 04:54 PM
I don't see Melo ever getting an MVP at this point. In order for him to rank higher it will take a minimum of 2 FMVP's, and he'll have to have amazing performances in those finals, otherwise I'd say 3.

ImKobe
02-22-2014, 05:02 PM
As a player? I don't think he'll ever be better than Dirk at any stage of his career. Dirk is the better shooter, all-around scorer and a rebounder.

Milbuck
02-22-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm not gonna be CJ ****hole Mustard and say Melo won't ever win a chip/FMVP, but there's a lot he has to do to surpass Dirk - he's probably not gonna do it.

But if he goes to the Bulls, who knows? Thibs's teams are always defensively dominant, and that's the type of team Melo needs around him. The Bulls have been torn apart and gutted by injuries and letting go of players...but they're still competing for the ****ing 3rd seed. I think with a healthy Rose-Butler-Melo-Gibson-Noah core, the Bulls would be a danger championship contender. The Bulls have been desperate for a second shot creator, and if Thibs could hide Boozer's defensive worthlessness, he can do it for Melo, especially considering that Melo can be decent when he tries.

The promising thing for Melo is that Dirk didn't take his legacy to another level till he was 32. Melo has some time.

R.I.P.
02-22-2014, 05:32 PM
The best thing for Melo would be to join Dirk. Put a defensive center like Asik or Sanders behind Melo/Dirk and you find me a better frontcourt.

houston
02-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Just the idea of Carmelo Anthony winning a Finals MVP... :oldlol:

:roll:

Smook A.
02-22-2014, 05:37 PM
I'll only rank Melo higher than Dirk if he wins 3 championships and 2 final mvps

fpliii
02-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Dirk is just a better player. I do think Melo is a bit underrated nowadays as a consequence of his being drastically overrated for so long, but he's a damn good scorer.

kenny817
02-22-2014, 05:47 PM

Duncan lost to the #8 seed Grizzlies a few years ago.

Do you hold that against his resume also?

R.I.P.
02-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Dirk is just a better player. I do think Melo is a bit underrated nowadays as a consequence of his being drastically overrated for so long, but he's a damn good scorer.

Yeah. Melo is not Dirk, but people also rate Kevin Love higher than Melo, which is wrong. Melo has made the play-offs almost every year he has been in the league. He generally has a positive impact on his team, but I feel he still needs a real badass coach and/or a teammate that will push him to his physical and mental limits. If he was smart, he

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
02-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Dirk was just flatout the far better player no matter what
we talkin bout a guy who averaged 56 wins in his prime with some sht teammates and had 2 dominant playoffs up there with any alltime great not name MJ or Shaq

casual_fan
02-22-2014, 06:04 PM
there's a lot more than that which would can be considered a knock on Dirk

IF Melo won a FMVP the perception of Melo would drastically change just as it did for Dirk.

What could be consideres a knock on Dirk ? Dirks Teams might have been talented but they always lacked star power and were not constructed well ( lacked reliable Centers ).

There are very few Players who could take these Teams further. Right now i can only think of shaq and Duncan.

And one ring does not put Melo aheah of dirk. Melo gets a little too much hate right now but there is not a single aspect of Basketball in which he is better than dirk.

TheMarkMadsen
02-22-2014, 06:07 PM
What could be consideres a knock on Dirk ? Dirks Teams might have been talented but they always lacked star power and were not constructed well ( lacked reliable Centers ).

There are very few Players who could take these Teams further. Right now i can only think of shaq and Duncan.

And one ring does not put Melo aheah of dirk. Melo gets a little too much hate right now but there is not a single aspect of Basketball in which he is better than dirk.

If we put Dirk's career under a microscope like we do the the all time greats, there would be considerably more "knocks"

Milbuck
02-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Duncan lost to the #8 seed Grizzlies a few years ago.

Do you hold that against his resume also?
Duncan was 34 going on 35.

Dirk was close to his peak at 28.

casual_fan
02-22-2014, 06:25 PM
If we put Dirk's career under a microscope like we do the the all time greats, there would be considerably more "knocks"

Compared to players like Jordan maybe. But in the second tier of all time greats he holds up pretty well.
Even in the series he lost Dirk performed almost always good and often great. Melo had many disappointing performances.

MellowYellow
02-22-2014, 06:29 PM
Dirk was just flatout the far better player no matter what
we talkin bout a guy who averaged 56 wins in his prime with some sht teammates and had 2 dominant playoffs up there with any alltime great not name MJ or Shaq

Don't forget Melo showed up Dirk in the playoffs. This is a lot closer comparison than people are trying act like.

Cone
02-22-2014, 06:30 PM
no way. not even close

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
02-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Don't forget Melo showed up Dirk in the playoffs. This is a lot closer comparison than people are trying act like.
Dirk avged 34/12/4/1/1 that series...........53/39/92 shoot. No one showed him up Dirk was the best player in that series. The Nuggets were a MUCH better overall team Chauncey was on fire that playoff let not forget Chauncey finished higher in MVP voting than Melo..............it no coincidence Melos by far 2 best playoffs were with Chauncey..........

SilkkTheShocker
02-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Dirk has multiple deep playoff runs, an MVP, and argument for being the best player in the NBA multiple years. Melo has a scoring title and only been past the first round twice. If Hell ever does freeze over, and Melo wins a title, he still wouldn't pass Dirk.

SilkkTheShocker
02-22-2014, 06:35 PM

It's not a close comparison. Dirk's body of work s.hit all over anything Melo did before he even won a title.

casual_fan
02-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Dirk has multiple deep playoff runs, an MVP, and argument for being the best player in the NBA multiple years. Melo has a scoring title and only been past the first round twice. If Hell ever does freeze over, and Melo wins a title, he still wouldn't pass Dirk.

:applause:

TheMarkMadsen
02-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Compared to players like Jordan maybe. But in the second tier of all time greats he holds up pretty well.
Even in the series he lost Dirk performed almost always good and often great. Melo had many disappointing performances.

no, just no.

Being up 2-0 in the finals and then losing while you shoot 39% for the series..

If Dirk was a top 15 player all time this would be one of many things used against him, nobody cares enough to sling mud on Dirk tho, he's usually considered a top 30 player all time, people are more concerned with the Lebrons, Kobes & Shaqs of the world.

If you were trying to make a case for Dirk being a top 15 player all time his failures would be maximized just as other all time greats are.

Imagine if Lebron was playing with an all star guard who immediately became a b2b MVP right after leaving Lebron, Lebron would get shitted on for "holding him back" and "now winning with a MVP caliber player"

SilkkTheShocker
02-22-2014, 06:43 PM
no, just no.

If Dirk was a top 15 player all time this would be one of many things used against him, nobody cares enough to sling mud on Dirk tho, he's usually considered a top 30 player all time, people are more concerned with the Lebrons, Kobes & Shaqs of the world.

If you were trying to make a case for Dirk being a top 15 player all time his failures would be maximized just as other all time greats are.

Imagine if Lebron was playing with an all star guard who immediately became a b2b MVP right after leaving Lebron, Lebron would get shitted on for "holding him back" and "now winning with a MVP caliber player"

LeBron has been in your head big time the last few months dude. He is better than Kobe ever was, let it go already. This thread is about Dirk/Melo.

TheMarkMadsen
02-22-2014, 06:46 PM
LeBron has been in your head big time the last few months dude. He is better than Kobe ever was, let it go already. This thread is about Dirk/Melo.

what are you talking about i've been discussing nothing but Dirk this entire time, are you too stupid to realize that I just complimented Lebron as being an all time great?

ohh i get it you thought that when I said this I was talking about Lebron

no, just no.

:roll: @ your insecure ass, I'm talking about Dirk :facepalm

casual_fan
02-22-2014, 06:51 PM
no, just no.

So Dirk can

AirFederer
02-22-2014, 06:53 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/b30da8726527766d1f6b7e3778c70286/tumblr_mj5823ohgL1ru74s4o1_500.jpg
Siz

TheMarkMadsen
02-22-2014, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=casual_fan][B]So Dirk can

Prometheus
02-22-2014, 07:04 PM
READ :mad:

you started off by saying

I responded by saying

to which you said

then I said if people considered Dirk to be in that elite class of all time greats (top 10-15) then his failures would be put under more of a microscope..

What are you trying to insinuate? That Dirk is a top 10 player? top 15?

I'm clearly saying that if Dirk was considered to be in that category of all time greats (1-15) his failures and shortcomings would be discussed way more, which is the answer to your original question of

Man when they start twisting the argument around and missing your points, just walk away. Take a few deep breaths. Shit will be okay.

casual_fan
02-22-2014, 07:14 PM
READ :mad:

you started off by saying

I responded by saying

to which you said

then I said if people considered Dirk to be in that elite class of all time greats (top 10-15) then his failures would be put under more of a microscope..

What are you trying to insinuate? That Dirk is a top 10 player? top 15?

I'm clearly saying that if Dirk was considered to be in that category of all time greats (1-15) his failures and shortcomings would be discussed way more, which is the answer to your original question of

I don

kenny817
02-22-2014, 07:31 PM
Duncan was 34 going on 35.

Dirk was close to his peak at 28.

Duncan had Manu, Pop, and a prime Tony Parker

Dirk had Jason Terry, Avery Johnson, and Erick Dampier

Come on son

SilkkTheShocker
02-22-2014, 07:38 PM

Come on son
This lmao. Which Dallas team would Anyone say was stacked? 03 and maybe 04. That's about it. Dallas dumped Nash for Dampier and went to the Finals :oldlol:

TheMarkMadsen
02-22-2014, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=casual_fan]I don

casual_fan
02-22-2014, 07:57 PM
I never responded to anything about Dirk being an "all time great playoff performer"

:banghead:

you're referring to my response to this..which was "wow"

That ^^^ is completely different from this

How is it different ? Because I said " all time Playoffs performer " and boutpractise said " all time great " ? The regular season does not mean much to me.

Anyhow, you seem to agree that Dirk was a great Playoff Performer before his title so lets call it a day. :cheers:

T_L_P
02-22-2014, 08:21 PM

Come on son

Ha, I love how you forget to mention Josh Howard, the guy who completely outplayed Dirk in that series.

:facepalm