PDA

View Full Version : Did yall see Kobe son Lenny Cooke in that new lenny documentary lmao!!!

JohnMax
02-23-2014, 12:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne61w4R20QE

Video Description

In 2001, Lenny Cooke was the most hyped high school basketball player in the country, ranked above future greats LeBron James, Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony. In an era when high school stars were forgoing college hoops in favor of the potential multi-million dollar contracts promised in the NBA draft, Lenny was supposed to be the next superstar. He had the world at his fingertips. But over a decade later, while his peers are taking home MVP awards and championship trophies, Lenny has never played a minute in the NBA. What went wrong?

JohnMax
02-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Lenny Cooke came out of nowhere. In "10th grade" (he was clearly older) he was playing JV for Lasalle. He averaged 30 ppg and even broke a backboard. Being that he was from NY he quickly gained a national rep. He then had a huge Junior yr and people thought he could go to the NBA out of JR year. He was getting ridiculous hype. His attitude preceded him though, he would get ejected from games, take off his jersey and leave it on the court. Supposedly after Kobe's 2nd championship he stopped by abcd camp where Lenny challenged him. Kobe declined and Lenny Cooke insulted him making lewd suggestions about his wife.

What happened to Lenny? Lebron James. The summer before Lenny's senior yr they played each other at abcd camp Lebron scored 29 and Lenny not so much. After that Lebron pretty much became Lehype and it hasn't stopped since. Anyway, Lenny started staying with these white folks in Connecticut $$$$ and going to some random Prep school. At first he wasn't even playing. Had it not been for Lebron he may have gotten away with these strange antics, but with the hype now surrounding Lebron, Lenny was written off as a head case. St.John's showed interest but Lenny obviously wasn't the qualifying type.

I would describe Lenny's game as Lebron with the skills of a young Kobe and the attitude of a young Ron Artest. Very similar to Lebron but much more arrogant.

fiddy
02-23-2014, 12:55 PM
He got what was coming to him

ImKobe
02-23-2014, 12:57 PM

Lenny Cooke came out of nowhere. In "10th grade" (he was clearly older) he was playing JV for Lasalle. He averaged 30 ppg and even broke a backboard. Being that he was from NY he quickly gained a national rep. He then had a huge Junior yr and people thought he could go to the NBA out of JR year. He was getting ridiculous hype. His attitude preceded him though, he would get ejected from games, take off his jersey and leave it on the court. Supposedly after Kobe's 2nd championship he stopped by abcd camp where Lenny challenged him. Kobe declined and Lenny Cooke insulted him making lewd suggestions about his wife.

What happened to Lenny? Lebron James. The summer before Lenny's senior yr they played each other at abcd camp Lebron scored 29 and Lenny not so much. After that Lebron pretty much became Lehype and it hasn't stopped since. Anyway, Lenny started staying with these white folks in Connecticut $$$$ and going to some random Prep school. At first he wasn't even playing. Had it not been for Lebron he may have gotten away with these strange antics, but with the hype now surrounding Lebron, Lenny was written off as a head case. St.John's showed interest but Lenny obviously wasn't the qualifying type.

I would describe Lenny's game as Lebron with the skills of a young Kobe and the attitude of a young Ron Artest. Very similar to Lebron but much more arrogant.

:no:

Ron Artest grew up in Brooklyn in a very bad neighborhood and there literally were gunshots every day where he grew up playing ball with his homies. The man might be crazy but he dedicated his life to being 100% fit and an elite basketball player, which he was in his prime. Winning a DPOY, making a huge difference for the Lakers and coming through in Game 7 for the championship. Even a young Artest wasn't this stupid. He was hungry and all he cared about was basketball.

Lenny was just a very gifted basketball player, who was lazy and didn't apply himself. He had all the tools to be a great player and a successful athlete, but he didn't want to do the hard work.

JohnMax
02-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Cooke no-showed for a pre-draft workout with the Raptors and once told Pat Riley "I don't got to listen to you." shit like that is why he didn't get drafted. He had a horrible attitude.

BrooklynZoo
02-23-2014, 01:38 PM
:no:

Ron Artest grew up in Brooklyn in a very bad neighborhood and there literally were gunshots every day where he grew up playing ball with his homies. The man might be crazy but he dedicated his life to being 100% fit and an elite basketball player, which he was in his prime. Winning a DPOY, making a huge difference for the Lakers and coming through in Game 7 for the championship. Even a young Artest wasn't this stupid. He was hungry and all he cared about was basketball.

Lenny was just a very gifted basketball player, who was lazy and didn't apply himself. He had all the tools to be a great player and a successful athlete, but he didn't want to do the hard work.

artest grew up in Queensbridge, Queens. Stephon (and others) grew up in Brooklyn

BrooklynZoo
02-23-2014, 01:40 PM

i think if he had that talent he could have any attitude he wanted and still make it. obviously he didnt

BTW, this documentary is on Showtime OnDemand if anyone wants to check it out. Haven't seen it yet, but will soon.

Dizzle-2k7
02-23-2014, 01:50 PM
kobe "imma play you in various ways"

:bowdown:

HylianNightmare
02-23-2014, 01:55 PM
anoyne have a stream to the whole movie?

JohnMax
02-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Lenny Cooke & LeBron James: The Shot That Altered Basketball History

http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2013/04/lenny-cooke-documentary-trailer

KobesFinger
02-23-2014, 02:17 PM
This makes me want to watch 3 peat era Kobe. Anyone got videos of him working out?

IGOTGAME
02-23-2014, 02:21 PM

guy was overrated. take it from someone who grew up in the area. Wasnt close to the talent that Lebron and Kobe were. Wasnt even close to the talents Artest and Odom were.

longtime lurker
02-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Where did Kobe son Cooke? I didn't see it anywhere in the post

D-FENS
02-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Cooke no-showed for a pre-draft workout with the Raptors and once told Pat Riley "I don't got to listen to you." shit like that is why he didn't get drafted. He had a horrible attitude.

I don't feel sorry for him. He had all the talent in the world and didn't get his shit together

Real Men Wear Green
02-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Wow did he get fat. Oh well.

fiddy
02-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Where did Kobe son Cooke? I didn't see it anywhere in the post
0:45

waseem780
02-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Anyone have a link to watch it online?

SamuraiSWISH
02-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Where can we get a stream of this documentary?

It looks incredibly sad, much like Hoop Dreams. The kid obviously had character issues, lack of work ethic but still sad to see him go out like that honestly when he had loads of natural talent. He's super overweight. Guy hit the drive thru hard after depression set.

Shows it takes more than talent just to get to the pros, let alone become a superstar. The different levels of work ethic, and mental toughness.

LeBron took his basketball soul at that ABCD camp. Anyone have anymore info about Cooke trash talking Kobe, or what he said about his wife? That'd be interesting. Terribly disrespectful he took it to those lengths though.

Sidenote: Those chicks he's macking on in the trailer are fine as hell.

FYI, another great basketball documentary to check out is Bobbito Garcia's "Doing It In The Park" ... I highly recommend any hoop head checking it out.

02-23-2014, 05:33 PM
I didn't see the doc and I don't know him but based on the trailer Lenny Cooke seems like an arrogant jerk. Hpfuilly he learned something from not making the L.

LongLiveTheKing
02-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Any video of the shot Lebron made over him?

So both Lebron and Kobe schooled this kid lol

Lordsteven
02-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Anyone have a link to watch it online?

this

jzek
02-23-2014, 05:47 PM
LOL he played in the Philippine league. What did he average? something like 50, 20, 10?

oarabbus
02-23-2014, 07:18 PM
“As long as every time I go on the Internet and somebody is talking about Lenny and LeBron, I guess my name’s still being mentioned with this guy — you know what I’m saying? Give my kids something to read, some way to know without me telling them that I was there with LeBron, a guy with a $100 million contract. It used to bother me when they said, ‘Lenny Cooke was supposed to be something and he isn’t.’ Not anymore. I’m living my life.”

Read more: http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2013/04/lenny-cooke-documentary-trailer#ixzz2uBrEzRLd
Follow us: UPROXX on Facebook

Maybe if he wasn't a disrespectful little prick and an entitled a**hole he would be seeing some of that contract money. Yeah, he's living his life at 250lbs 30% body fat.

Lenny Cooke is an idiot and became a scrub. I have no sympathy for his idiotic, talent-squandering ass. Hopefully he dreams of LeBron raining 3s in his face every night

Bodhi
02-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Some more Lenny Cooke/Kobe scenes in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFNS6IR742Y

Big#50
02-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Idiot. First you make the league, then you stop caring and steal millions. Hundreds of players do this.

9erempiree
02-23-2014, 07:37 PM
You can tell Cooke was going to be a bust with that attitude. He probably fell into his own hype and thought he could make it based on talent. I guess Kobe was right when he was talking to the kids.

Kudos to Lebron, as bad as he is, he didn't go down Lenny's route.

It is pretty sad to see how he is all fat and his peers are in great shape and wealthy.

truhooper
02-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Any video of the shot Lebron made over him?

So both Lebron and Kobe schooled this kid lol

Bron's gw 3 in his face :eek: :bowdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM_Q_8U-mHQ

oarabbus
02-23-2014, 08:52 PM
LeBron :bowdown:

ProfessorMurder
02-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Maybe if he wasn't a disrespectful little prick and an entitled a**hole he would be seeing some of that contract money. Yeah, he's living his life at 250lbs 30% body fat.

Lenny Cooke is an idiot and became a scrub. I have no sympathy for his idiotic, talent-squandering ass. Hopefully he dreams of LeBron raining 3s in his face every night

You sure are taking the moral high road by calling him names and disrespecting him... Oh wait, you're doing exactly what he did. Carry on.

LongLiveTheKing
02-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Bron's gw 3 in his face :eek: :bowdown:

RIP to his career. :eek:

LBJ 23
02-23-2014, 09:44 PM
Such an awkward situation at 2:33 when he says to Kobe ''When you gonna play me'' .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mL7_pdIQbw

oarabbus
02-23-2014, 09:45 PM
You sure are taking the moral high road by calling him names and disrespecting him... Oh wait, you're doing exactly what he did. Carry on.

Ok, next time I'll endorse stupidity. This guy had some real audacity but apparently I should have praised him for "being brave". My apologies this guy deserves only my utmost respect (as opposed to someone like LeBron) how could I have not seen that?

If he's living his life happily right now good for him. Doesn't change the fact he WAS a ****ing idiot.

LilEddyCurry
02-23-2014, 10:40 PM
http://www.salanba.es/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Lenny-Cooke4.jpeg

Hoopz2332
02-24-2014, 07:16 AM
Lenny ball hogging/showboating only to get his soul taken by lebron:lol

Full Lenny Cooke Vs LeBron game without the buzzer beater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkSsNb1cGNY

Black Mamba's B
02-24-2014, 07:43 AM
What an idiot. :facepalm

SamuraiSWISH
02-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Such an awkward situation at 2:33 when he says to Kobe ''When you gonna play me'' .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mL7_pdIQbw
How incredibly awkward indeed. So disrespectful too. Such a terrible, over cocky, self indulgent attitude on that kid. Just like a lot of East Coast products. So glad that a true humble (at the time) prodigy from the grounded mid west shut this kid's lights out at this camp.

Honestly watching Cooke, I'm not particularly impressed. At least not in terms of superstar potential. I think Pitino says it too towards the end. He says one guy is phenomenal, truly NBA ready while not even being a senior and has a good head on his shoulders.

Nod to LeBron. Even watching these videos from that 2001 camp. Cooke headed into his senior year, Bron exiting sophomore year to junior year and he clearly out performs Cooke. He showed HOF caliber brilliance with his handle, size, athleticism, and exceptional passing ability ... A skill set that separated him from everyone else.

Cooke, unlike LeBron played with no restraint. Self indulgent. Dribbling out entire possessions as his team stands around and watched.

Cooke didn't have the skill, work ethic or correct drive / mindset to be a superstar. But he could've been a serviceable player. Poor man's Lance Stephenson or something. He got black balled from the league though due to his attitude. When you're telling Pat Riley, tha don that you don't need his advice before ever playing on the NBA stage. You're rubbing the powers at be the wrong way.

His story is sad in a basketball sense, but he kind of made his own bed. He was an arrogant little prick who thought more highly of himself than he was actually worth. In the overall scheme of life he isn't a loser. He makes motivational speeches telling kids to use him as an example of what not to do or become.

That's taking his situation and turning lemons into lemonade. I can at least respect that even if I didn't respect his game.

Black Mamba's B
02-24-2014, 07:46 AM
I'm glad LeBron torched his ass

Lordsteven
02-24-2014, 07:54 AM
still tryna find full documentary online :cry:

Shabba Ranks
02-25-2014, 07:18 PM
is this on netflix ?

Budadiiii
02-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Here's the buzzer beater:

Pretty ****ing epic.

Nikola_
02-25-2014, 07:22 PM
is this on netflix ?

just register on s*ort-s*ene.net, its there

eliteballer
02-25-2014, 07:25 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mL7_pdIQbw&t=3m01s

LeGOAT
02-25-2014, 07:26 PM
15 year old Lebron literally ruining some ballers life.:roll: :roll: :bowdown:

Shabba Ranks
02-25-2014, 07:31 PM

appreciate the link bruh, found it :cheers:

Budadiiii
02-25-2014, 07:33 PM
How was it?

Inspirational? Sad? Boring?

Might check it out later tonight. I love documentaries like this but Lenny seems like a huge ******.

HylianNightmare
02-25-2014, 07:45 PM
Here's the buzzer beater:

Pretty ****ing epic.
i mean it was a tough shot but it wasn't like he broke him off crossed him up, spun him arround and then buried a contested shot with him right in his grill.:confusedshrug:

Budadiiii
02-25-2014, 11:34 PM
i mean it was a tough shot but it wasn't like he broke him off crossed him up, spun him arround and then buried a contested shot with him right in his grill.:confusedshrug:
It was just symbolic of each guys different path after that shot and how that game was the turning point.

Cooke was at his peak before that game and it all went down hill after that shot.

Opposite for Bron. Dude becomes the most hyped high school-er ever and is now a 4 time MVP.

Bron has some sort of ****ing aura about him. His life is movie-like. Watch his documentary "More Than A Game" and it's just weird that it's actually real life that he played with his 5 best friends and just how everything went down. And now the Lenny Cooke shit just makes it even more bizarre.

SamuraiSWISH
02-25-2014, 11:36 PM
Dude, LeBron shut the lights out on Cooke's career. A sophomore outplayed the #1 ranked senior in the league.

Lenny was never the same after that camp, LeBron out shined him while still clearly had much room to grow with a significantly better head on his shoulders. He outplayed him btw while still playing within the flow of the game, showing personal restraint. Cooke would go show out at the expense of his team doing whatever he wanted, and still wasn't as good. Kid peaked in HS. LeBron continued to get better till this day.

Class of 2003 baby, stand up.

HylianNightmare
02-26-2014, 01:28 AM
man i'd love to see the full game then, the link for it went down

Tmuston Beltics
02-26-2014, 02:09 AM
http://www.salanba.es/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Lenny-Cooke4.jpeg

40(stones)

Hoopz2332
02-26-2014, 07:34 AM
15 year old Lebron literally ruining some ballers life.:roll: :roll: :bowdown:

:rockon:

http://www.lostlettermen.com/wp-content/uploads/lebron-james-chosen-one.jpg

HylianNightmare
03-03-2014, 12:37 AM
how did they get all that fottage?

any of his summer league box scores?

Collie
03-03-2014, 03:32 AM
Lebron's shot or not, Lenny just seemed like your average overrated HS star who didn't pan out. Kinda like Shabazz or OJ Mayo, but more extreme.

Inferno
03-03-2014, 03:32 AM
Anyone got a video of LeBron's buzzer-beater over him? Video above was deleted

Megabox!
03-03-2014, 04:16 AM
Lebron's shot or not, Lenny just seemed like your average overrated HS star who didn't pan out. Kinda like Shabazz or OJ Mayo, but more extreme.
The guy seemed pretty good to me, he was just young and got everything he wanted whenever he wanted it since he was so good at the time, it got to his head and he was around the wrong type of ppl. He wasn't as focused and determined about the game of basketball as Bron and Melo and he realized that too late.

inclinerator
03-03-2014, 04:23 AM
look at his size, and the way he moves, he had all the potential in the world and wasted it

ace23
03-03-2014, 04:39 AM
I don't understand wtf happened. Did he just stop playing basketball/going to school? Why wouldn't any team take a chance on him? I'm so confused.

oarabbus
03-03-2014, 04:44 AM
I don't understand wtf happened. Did he just stop playing basketball/going to school? Why wouldn't any team take a chance on him? I'm so confused.

Told Pat Riley to **** off while still in HS, got crushed by LeBron, had huge attitude problems, awful student.

Had it not been for Lebron he may have gotten away with these strange antics, but with the hype now surrounding Lebron, Lenny was written off as a head case. St.John's showed interest but Lenny obviously wasn't the qualifying type.

As good as he was, if he even gave a quarter of a sh1t about college, he could have probably gotten a full ride to a number of great D1 programs. Wasn't eligible academically because he didn't give a ****.

ace23
03-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Told Pat Riley to **** off while still in HS, got crushed by LeBron, had huge attitude problems, awful student.

As good as he was, if he even gave a quarter of a sh1t about college, he could have probably gotten a full ride to a number of great D1 programs. Wasn't eligible academically because he didn't give a ****.
He could have at least gone D2 or entered the draft, right?

It's just weird that no team in the NBA was willing to draft someone who was as highly touted as he was. You see teams waste 2nd round picks on random European scrubs every year.

inclinerator
03-03-2014, 04:52 PM
He could have at least gone D2 or entered the draft, right?

It's just weird that no team in the NBA was willing to draft someone who was as highly touted as he was. You see teams waste 2nd round picks on random European scrubs every year.
he definitely had the talent to play in the nba, if he continued to work at his game he would have been too good to pass up even with his attitude problems

Lebron23
03-03-2014, 05:06 PM
look at his size, and the way he moves, he had all the potential in the world and wasted it

He played and dominated in the PBA a couple of years ago, but he got injured, and he was never the same player.

http://www.angelfire.com/comics/mars98/lenny_cooke.JPG

http://www.angelfire.com/comics/mars98/Cooke.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YeIn1M0esuI/UXjlPmLVwkI/AAAAAAAAFVU/mb-E6L6KehU/s640/Screen+Shot+2013-04-25+at+4.04.37+PM.png

He wore number 23 when he played for Purefoods

Knoe Itawl
03-03-2014, 05:31 PM
If anyone has Showtime, it's on Showtime On Demand. That's where I watched it this weekend.

Im so nba'd out
03-11-2014, 06:58 PM
just watched this documentary.When he was at his birthday party and started crying that sht was sad.Just the fact that lebron blew up like that from playing him must be a knife to the heart every single day.Every single time he watches basketball he hears about him.I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.Basically he could of been a melo/lebron in his head if he took it as serious as them.Instead of being a millionaire he is just a regular person like everyone else

Sharmer
03-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Serious wasted talent.

Stringer Bell
03-12-2014, 11:43 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/sports/basketball/lenny-cooke-star-to-be-who-never-was.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Shabba Ranks
03-12-2014, 11:46 AM
OH lenny :roll:

http://i62.tinypic.com/653gjc.jpg

eliteballer
03-12-2014, 11:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2gdasqHvrk

Here he says he never put in work and didn't love the game, just played off talent.

eliteballer
03-12-2014, 11:47 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mL7_pdIQbw&t=3m01s

Clearly not as dramatic as OP trying to make it.

MiseryCityTexas
03-12-2014, 12:32 PM
lebron ended this man's livelyhood.

Maga_1
03-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Is there a way to watch it for free?

JohnMax
03-23-2014, 04:13 AM
Lenny Cooke Movie Documentary (FULL MOVIE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDT-Eye9zfo