PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan and his many accolades

TheCorporation
02-24-2014, 02:13 AM
Jordan has a ton of amazing accolades that might not ever be matched; after all, he is the GOAT, but which one sticks out most to you? Which one do you think will never be broken in our lifetime?

For me, it's one that I never hear mentioned...His ten, yes, ten consecutive scoring titles. WTF!

Who is the next closest person, in regard to modern basketball? Durant with 3 in a row? That's 1/3 of the way! Iverson and McGrady both only had two scoring titles in a row. Crazy...

In fact, the only other person that has more than three in a row is Wilt, with 7. McAdoo has three, Gervin has three and if you really want to go way back Johnston and Mikan also achieved three consecutive scoring titles.

Highest ppg during the more modern era? Jordan, with 37.1 Wilt achieved higher, dating all the way back to 66' No one else has touched 37 ppg other than MJ and Wilt.

Durant had a slim chance to get 10 in a row, but Melo ****ed that up. Let's assume KD did edge out the win last year, and he will obviously win this year, that would still only put him at 5! He would have to do this 5 more years to TIE MJ. Cray!

MichaelCorleone
02-24-2014, 02:14 AM
6 for 6 finals.

russwest0
02-24-2014, 02:17 AM
Not really an accolade, but what stands out most to me is when you ask guys like Metta World Peace, Shawn Marion, etc, current players who the hardest player they've ever had to guard, they all say it's Michael Jordan, and they only had to go up against 37 year old MJ.

Dude is just the consensus GOAT and likely will be until the end of time.

MavsSuperFan
The fact that he 3 peated. Quit for 1 and a half years and then 3 peated again.
Also that he never tried to join bird, magic, or isiah

JohnFreeman
He doesn't have ten consecutive scoring titles?

Legends66NBA7
02-24-2014, 02:19 AM
He doesn't have 10 consecutive scoring titles. He does have 7, tied with Wilt.

I think the most impressive to me is the fact he has the most 40+ppg playoff series. The rest of his averages (rpg, apg) were also very impressive.

kamil
02-24-2014, 02:19 AM
6 for 6 finals.

You also have to take into consideration of HOW he went 6/6; the numbers he put up, the domination of opponents, game 6 winner for 6th title, the flu game, etc.

It's going to be very, very difficult to top that and so far, nobody has come close.

oarabbus
02-24-2014, 02:20 AM
He doesn't have ten consecutive scoring titles?

This, WTF?:biggums:

Jordan won his titles 1987

russwest0
02-24-2014, 02:22 AM
You also have to take into consideration of HOW he went 6/6; the numbers he put up, the domination of opponents, game 6 winner for 6th title, the flu game, etc.

It's going to be very, very difficult to top that and so far, nobody has come close.

Yup. Plus the total domination he had through the first 3-peat. Those first 3-peat finals numbers will never be touched. Shit was ridiculous.

JohnFreeman
02-24-2014, 02:23 AM
Yup. Plus the total domination he had through the first 3-peat. Those first 3-peat finals numbers will never be touched. Shit was ridiculous.
LeBron is is pretty close

russwest0
02-24-2014, 02:24 AM

http://www.michaeljordansworld.com/stats_finals.htm

Kill yourself fgt

TheCorporation
02-24-2014, 02:25 AM
He does have ten consecutive because he won seven, left the league, came back and won three more. 7 + 3 = 10

Not to mention the two that won the scoring title while MJ left: Robinson and Shaq, were respective scorers at 29.8 and 29.3

Jordan scored more than that every single year he won as a scoring Champion except his tenth. So like I said, ten in a row. Ten consecutive years that he was in the league lol Is that better? :rockon:

Legends66NBA7
02-24-2014, 02:26 AM
[QUOTE=oarabbus]This, WTF?:biggums:

Jordan won his titles 1987

JBrizzy
02-24-2014, 02:27 AM
Nice boobs :cheers:

JohnFreeman
He does have ten consecutive because he won seven, left the league, came back and won three more. 7 + 3 = 10

Not to mention the two that won the scoring title while MJ left: Robinson and Shaq, were respective scorers at 29.8 and 29.3

Jordan scored more than that every single year he won as a scoring Champion except his tenth. So like I said, ten in a row. Ten consecutive years that he was in the league lol Is that better? :rockon:
It can't be consecutive if someone else has won it..

kamil

Please refrain from posting in this thread.

TheCorporation
02-24-2014, 02:28 AM
It can't be consecutive if someone else has won it..

Ten consecutive years that he was in the league lol Is that better?

jstern
02-24-2014, 02:28 AM
What sticks out to me is the stats he could have had, the consecutive scoring tittles he could have had, perhaps championships, if he didn't retire for almost two seasons in his prime. That's two seasons of 31+ ppg, so his current career shooting percentage would have been higher, as well as other career stats.

kamil
02-24-2014, 02:31 AM
What sticks out to me is the stats he could have had, the consecutive scoring tittles he could have had, perhaps championships, if he didn't retire for almost two seasons in his primes. That's two seasons of 31+ ppg, so his current career shooting percentage would have been higher, as well as other career stats.

This is true, but would the 96-98 championship runs have played out the same way?

It's all speculation of what could have happened if he didn't retire the first time.. some people say he would have had 8 consecutive championships... sure its possible, but we don't know that.

JohnFreeman
02-24-2014, 02:32 AM
What sticks out to me is the stats he could have had, the consecutive scoring tittles he could have had, perhaps championships, if he didn't retire for almost two seasons in his prime. That's two seasons of 31+ ppg, so his current career shooting percentage would have been higher, as well as other career stats.
I think he burns out and doesn't win six.

poido123
02-24-2014, 02:33 AM
Jordan's DPOY.

Only 4 other guards have won the award since it's inception and he is only one of 2 (Hakeem the other) to have won the award together with an MVP in the same season.

People remember Jordan and his flashy dunks, scoring, and will to win. His defense is very underrated when you consider that he shouldered the majority of the scoring load for his team. To be able to play elite defense as well, shows how remarkable he truly was.

Legends66NBA7
02-24-2014, 02:33 AM
Ten consecutive years that he was in the league lol Is that better?

That still wouldn't be correct. Jordan came back in 95.

Now, if he choose not to retire and stayed injury free (most likely), the he would have 10 consecutive or more.

JohnFreeman
02-24-2014, 02:35 AM
Jordan's DPOY.

Only 4 other guards have won the award since it's inception and he is only one of 2 (Hakeem the other) to have won the award together with an MVP in the same season.

People remember Jordan and his flashy dunks, scoring, and will to win. His defense is very underrated when you consider that he shouldered the majority of the scoring load for his team. To be able to play elite defense as well, shows how remarkable he truly was.
Wade should have been in the conversation for DPOY at least once. Kobe robbing Wade of his defensive selections each year :facepalm

kamil
02-24-2014, 02:36 AM
Wade should have been in the conversation for DPOY at least once. Kobe robbing Wade of his defensive selections each year :facepalm

Wrong thread.

AnaheimLakers24
02-24-2014, 02:37 AM
mvp and dpoy same year

JohnFreeman
02-24-2014, 02:38 AM
Wrong thread.
Then put me on ignore, this is my thread now.

Legends66NBA7
Jordan's DPOY.

Technically speaking, there are some players who would have won both MVP and DPOY if the award began during the league's inception (Bill Russell comes to mind here). Also, didn't David Robinson win both in 95 ?

EDIT - Nevermind, Robinson won DPOY in 92.

Micku

Shaq had some beastly finals numbers in his Laker threepeat.

In his first Finals he had:
38.0 ppg, 16.7 rpg, 2.7 blks on 61% FG.

Second finals he had:
33.0 ppg, 15.8 rpg, 3.4 blks on 57.3%

Third finals he had:
36.3 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 2.8 blks, on 59.5%

Dominance all over. And he the second one, he did it against the DPOY.

But what sticks out to from Jordan are two things for me.

The consecutive scoring titles he had and what he could've had if he did not retire.

The second is that Jordan is third all time leader in steals. Third of all time. It never really gets talked about. He's only behind Stockton and Kidd. And I think it took Kidd more games and seasons to catch up/pass Jordan in steals. THAT is extremely impressive to me. Especially if you add in the fact that Jordan sit out one year because of injury and got retired.

Deuce Bigalow
02-24-2014, 02:39 AM
http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/wtf/grand/kobe_bryan_wtf.gif

Deuce Bigalow
02-24-2014, 02:46 AM
MJ's the only player that has accolades close to Chamberlain.

2 rings
Finals MVP
4 league MVPs
13 all-star teams
7 all-nba first teams
7 scoring titles
11 rebounding titles
9 field goal percentage titles
Assist title

No DPOYs or blocks in Wilt's time. Defensive teams and finals mvps started in 1969.

JohnFreeman
02-24-2014, 02:47 AM

2 rings
Finals MVP
4 league MVPs
13 all-star teams
7 all-nba first teams
7 scoring titles
11 rebounding titles
Assist title

No DPOYs or blocks in Wilt's time. Defensive teams and finals mvps started in 1969.
Weak era.

Deuce Bigalow
02-24-2014, 02:50 AM
Weak era.
I already disproven this many times. Stop posting.

jstern
02-24-2014, 02:56 AM
This is true, but would the 96-98 championship runs have played out the same way?

It's all speculation of what could have happened if he didn't retire the first time.. some people say he would have had 8 consecutive championships... sure its possible, but we don't know that.

That's why I said perhaps championships instead of 8 consecutive championships, and focused more on his regular stats.

Sarcastic
02-24-2014, 02:57 AM
The only 40 year old to score 40. Will never be done again. Book it.

TheCorporation
02-24-2014, 03:01 AM
The only 40 year old to score 40. Will never be done again. Book it.

Uncle Drew gonna teach dem young bloods if you challenge him!

Yankstar
02-24-2014, 03:07 AM

2 rings
Finals MVP
4 league MVPs
13 all-star teams
7 all-nba first teams
7 scoring titles
11 rebounding titles
Assist title

2 rings is comparable to 6? :roll:

Young X
02-24-2014, 03:20 AM
His lowest PPG in a playoff run was 29.3. And that was his rookie year.

Deuce Bigalow
02-24-2014, 03:20 AM
2 rings is comparable to 6? :roll:
11 rebounding titles to none
9 field goal percentage titles to none
Assist title to none

If there were blocks recorded Wilt would be the all-time leader, forget individual years. Wilt would also have multiple DPOYs no doubt.

Yankstar
02-24-2014, 03:25 AM
Assist title to none

If there were blocks recorded Wilt would be the all-time leader, forget individual years. Wilt would also have multiple DPOYs no doubt.

Don't forget biggest drop off on points scored from regular season to playoffs. Lets not pretend Wilt wasn't a product of poor defences. He would just be another Dwight in today's game :no:

Marlo_Stanfield
02-24-2014, 03:40 AM
LeBron will own MJ in just about everything except maybe finals MVP and scoring titles:applause: :applause: :bowdown:

MichaelCorleone
02-24-2014, 05:02 AM
Closest to MJ we've seen is Lebron, no question about that. Though gap is still quite big.

andgar923
02-24-2014, 07:17 AM
The fact that he didnt win more MVP votes because the voters thought it was unfair for him to keep winning. Out of boredom or fairness they decided to vote for oher players.

Let that sink in for a bit.

He was so good it was unfair.

IMObjective
02-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Personally, I don't think anyone will get 6 fmvps again. That would take an incredible amount of talent, an incredible amount of luck, and maybe a little bit of pampering from the league.

JohnFreeman
02-24-2014, 08:14 AM
The fact that he didnt win more MVP votes because the voters thought it was unfair for him to keep winning. Out of boredom or fairness they decided to vote for oher players.

Let that sink in for a bit.

He was so good it was unfair.
Bit like if Durant wins it this year, LeBron is too good to keep winning

Marlo_Stanfield
02-24-2014, 08:35 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/yes/2yllfzo.gif

Prometheus
02-24-2014, 08:42 AM
To me, the most impressive thing is that he was already established as a scoring champion and the greatest scorer/offensive threat in the game, and then went on to win a DPOY award as a guard. This in a league with no shortage of defensive centers as well. Of course this isn't as important as all the championships, but it really stands out to show me that he was a different animal.

MichaelCorleone
02-24-2014, 08:43 AM
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Prometheus
02-24-2014, 08:43 AM

I love LeBron too, but you really make yourself look bad when you say something like this. You would have been better off avoiding this thread because you obviously did not watch Jordan when he was winning.

Im Still Ballin
02-24-2014, 08:44 AM

This.

CelticBaller
02-24-2014, 08:49 AM
That he has won MVPs, DPOY and lead the league in scoring 10 times. Straight dominance

JohnFreeman
02-24-2014, 08:50 AM
I love LeBron too, but you really make yourself look bad when you say something like this. You would have been better off avoiding this thread because you obviously did not watch Jordan when he was winning.
Who are you?

Marlo_Stanfield
02-24-2014, 08:58 AM
get a grip:roll: :roll: :roll:

aj1987
02-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Assist title to none

Still couldn't win more than 2 rings and lost in 4 Finals. Empty stats?

pauk
02-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Nothing there is unbeatable in our lifetime imo, its the entire package that makes it approximately impossible to surpass him, its not entirely impossible though.

The things Wilt Chamberlain (stats), Oscar Robertson (stats) & Bill Russell (accolades) did however.... will not be seen in anybodies lifetime...

jzek
02-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Wanna know why he's the GOAT?

* He went to the Finals 6x and won 6
* He was the FMVP in all 6

Marlo_Stanfield
02-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Wanna know why he's the GOAT?

* He went to the Finals 6x and won 6
* He was the FMVP in all 6
only 6 finals?? lame:roll: :roll: :roll:

CelticBaller
02-24-2014, 10:02 AM
only 6 finals?? lame:roll: :roll: :roll:
2nd most in modern era

ArbitraryWater
02-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Jordan has a ton of amazing accolades that might not ever be matched; after all, he is the GOAT, but which one sticks out most to you? Which one do you think will never be broken in our lifetime?

For me, it's one that I never hear mentioned...His ten, yes, ten consecutive scoring titles. WTF!

Who is the next closest person, in regard to modern basketball? Durant with 3 in a row? That's 1/3 of the way! Iverson and McGrady both only had two scoring titles in a row. Crazy...

In fact, the only other person that has more than three in a row is Wilt, with 7. McAdoo has three, Gervin has three and if you really want to go way back Johnston and Mikan also achieved three consecutive scoring titles.

Highest ppg during the more modern era? Jordan, with 37.1 Wilt achieved higher, dating all the way back to 66' No one else has touched 37 ppg other than MJ and Wilt.

Durant had a slim chance to get 10 in a row, but Melo ****ed that up. Let's assume KD did edge out the win last year, and he will obviously win this year, that would still only put him at 5! He would have to do this 5 more years to TIE MJ. Cray!

Not crazy at all. I could easily see Durant win it for the next 5... also MJ didnt win 10 in a row lol

ArbitraryWater
02-24-2014, 10:08 AM
2nd most in modern era

Fisher did it 8 times going for 9

jlip
02-24-2014, 10:08 AM
To me, the most impressive thing is that he was already established as a scoring champion and the greatest scorer/offensive threat in the game, and then went on to win a DPOY award as a guard. This in a league with no shortage of defensive centers as well. Of course this isn't as important as all the championships, but it really stands out to show me that he was a different animal.

Winning DPOY as a guard during the earliest years of the award was nothing special. As a matter of fact, it was expected. Five of the first six DPOYs were guards of which MJ was the tallest.

kamil
02-24-2014, 10:10 AM
LeBron will own MJ in just about everything except maybe finals MVP and scoring titles:applause: :applause: :bowdown:

get a grip:roll: :roll: :roll:

TheMan
02-24-2014, 10:33 AM
I would also add that MJ has the most 50+ pts playoffs games in history...he has 8, next closest guy? Wilt with four...

Mj is also the oldest player to score 40 pts or more in NBA history, he's the oldest MVP and scoring champion at 35 IIRC. To put it in perspective, Kobe is about that age, what are the chances he wins a scoring title and MVP next year? How about DWade in 4 years?

I mention those two because they are widely considered as the next best SGs in NBA history after MJ...let that sink in. The gap between MJ and those two great players is BIG.

D-FENS
02-24-2014, 10:35 AM
With the way Wiggins and Jabari are developing, I can see both being 30ppg scorers in the right situation.

Jasper
02-24-2014, 11:59 AM
72 win season// schooled his team and league to ultimate best :rockon:

riseagainst
02-25-2014, 03:23 PM
http://www.michaeljordansworld.com/stats_finals.htm

Kill yourself fgt

my god. Those are godly numbers.

Let's ignore his 1st 3peat for a second and just look at his 2nd 3peat.

at ages 32-34, he averaged: 31-5-4 with only 2.3 TOs in the finals. :bowdown:

Just take a few seconds and let that sink in....

alright now on to his 1st 3peat numbers:

36-7-8 on 53/42/80 (mediocre FT%) 2.0 stls and only 2.6 TOs.

:bowdown: :bowdown: