PDA

View Full Version : Is there a reason that Paul George's 360 in between the legs dunk is not talked about

tmacattack33
02-25-2014, 05:00 PM
The dunk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvfzM486P3M

Why is this dunk not getting more attention?

Everyone was waiting for this dunk. It was the next logical step in the progression. In the 80's, regular 360's were cool. In the late 90's and after Vince Carter, going in between the legs was cool. This was the next step...combining both. Many ppl in the past tried this and couldn't do it. Paul George finally did it.

Possible reasons that I can think of for why this dunk gets no love:

1. The dunk contest format was so weird, that it just killed the whole contest

2. The New Orleans crowd was terrible

3. He missed it on his first few attempts. He only made it on his 3rd attempt i believe.

4. Paul George himself looked half asleep after he landed this dunk. He shoulda been more of a showman and started show boating as he landed and shown some energy.

5. It's not a 360. It was actually about a 180, or a 220 if you want to call it that. But hey, many 360 dunks in the dunk contest aren't real 360's, so this point is not very valid to me.

Black and White
02-25-2014, 05:02 PM
People were probably on a downbuzz from the format, it was actually a pretty nice dunk, he just didn't look very interested after landing.

SilkkTheShocker
02-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Because he plays for the Pacers :confusedshrug:

Clyde
02-25-2014, 05:04 PM
It was nice.......but 4 tries to do it.

HylianNightmare
02-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Didn't make it pop

Levity
02-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Had he made it on his first attempt, he probably would have won dunker of the night.

MP.Trey
02-25-2014, 05:38 PM
You answered your own question with five different answers. :oldlol:

MP.Trey
02-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Didn't make it pop
This too. 4 attempts + it could have went down cleaner/with more authority. Makes for an underwhelming response to a very difficult dunk.

Rake2204
02-25-2014, 05:48 PM
I think you're on the right track, tmac. If I had to list reasons as to why it's not talked about, it'd go:

1) Dunk Contest Format: The freestyle round left absolutely no opportunity for fans, commentators, or players to process and appreciate any dunks being completed, therefore making virtually everything difficult to remember. I honestly believe many, if not most observers were still reeling as the final round took place. In my case, I know all I could think was how awful the freestyle idea was and how in the battle round, we might only be seeing one dunk per contestant.

2) No Score: I think we've trained ourselves to justify our feelings for contest dunks by seeing straight 10's being held up across the board. Nothing kills the aftermath of a great contest dunk than working through a couple of American Idol monologues while a dunker earns a total score of "East".

3) Multiple Attempts: Another dunk immersion killer is continuous misses. That was one of the biggest issues with the 2013 contest. Players were making great dunks (I feel like there was a behind-the-back 360) but they were taking so many attempts that fans felt more relief than excitement when the dunk was finally completed. The surprise factor was gone for George.

4) Poor finish: George completed a very difficult dunk, but as Hylian said, he didn't make it pop. The style was so-so and the ball itself didn't go down very cleanly (or with force). In fact, UDM's Doug Anderson completed the same flush with much more force, style, and vigor a year ago on national television during the college slam dunk contest.

Paul George, Indiana Pacers

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/2062775/phfunk_medium_medium.gif

Doug Anderson, Detroit Mercy (via Mott Community, via Kalamazoo Central)

http://cdn.rsvlts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Doug-Anderson-Dunk-GIF.gif

MUGEN
02-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Number of times killed the impact imo

On a different note how is that a 360?

Rake2204
02-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Number of times killed the impact imo

On a different note how is that a 360?360 has been the terms used for years to describe a dunk where a player revolves, turns away from the basket, then comes around and finishes while facing the basket once again. I have never really been a fan of taking the term incredibly literal. It just describes a turning dunk and sounds better to me than "spinny".

And besides, to impart a spinning movement on one's airborne body, the feet most often have to shift just as George's do prior to takeoff to create a graceful and circular motion. That's where the spinning torque is created. And in many cases, when players shift their feet in that manner prior to takeoff, they often land with their feet pointed in a similar direction when they come down, thus coming a lot closer to completing a 360 than many people like to insist. Frequently, it seems many people just seem to see a player's feet shift, watch him finish at the rim, then conclude their spin is completed.

tgan3
02-25-2014, 07:03 PM
The fact that this dunk is so overdone by street dunkers could be a possibility. These street dunkers are also 5'9 to 6'4 so yeah much more difficult to pull off then Paul George.

Though I don't deny that 360 Eastbay is so incredibly difficult it should be worth a 50 everytime regardless of who pulled it. Maybe he should try a 720 next time...:rockon:

inclinerator
02-25-2014, 07:32 PM
he jumped with his back to the basket, it's a 180

Dro
02-26-2014, 04:36 AM
Because he's one of the more disliked players on ISH now.../thread

East_Stone_Ya
02-26-2014, 05:14 AM
Because he's one of the more disliked players on ISH now.../thread

no :no:

JohnFreeman
02-26-2014, 05:17 AM
He is an absentee father

SexSymbol
02-26-2014, 05:34 AM
Because ISH likes strippers more than tall black all-stars.

Nick Young
02-26-2014, 06:50 AM
no showmanship or charisma behind it.

Dr Hawk
02-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Easier dunk + perfect execution >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> more difficult dunk + poor execution.

Olacinco
02-26-2014, 07:13 AM
Honestly it was a pretty weak dunk...

If you watch air up there do it... It looks inhumane...

When George does it it look like a 6-10 dude dunking of a nerd hoop... If he didn't go reverse and slammed it down hard it's be sick

Number24
02-26-2014, 08:04 AM

When George does it it look like a 6-10 dude dunking of a nerd hoop... If he didn't go reverse and slammed it down hard it's be sick

Execution aggravated by the format! :banghead:

Hoopz2332
02-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Easier dunk + perfect execution >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> more difficult dunk + poor execution.

this

Dro
02-26-2014, 06:29 PM

Except you're comparing a horrible format where every dunk is rushed to a guy doing with no pressure and not being rushed. Air up There is the greatest dunker on the planet but that has nothing to do with Paul George's dunk in an entirely different situation. I also think its ridiculous to compare what guy does in an NBA dunk contest to what guys do on the streets. Guys on the streets have ALWAYS been better dunkers than the NBAer's but its never taken away from what the NBA guys do. Thats why people still go crazy over VC's 2000 contest when guys were doing better sh*t THEN on the streets. So why can't we just give credit to PG for doing it in an NBA dunk contest? I haven't seen anyone else do it although Richardson and Iggy both did stuff PG probably can't even do. Its because I said, he and the Pacers are the new cool thing to hate.../thread

Rake2204
02-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Except you're comparing a horrible format where every dunk is rushed to a guy doing with no pressure and not being rushed. Air up There is the greatest dunker on the planet but that has nothing to do with Paul George's dunk in an entirely different situation. I also think its ridiculous to compare what guy does in an NBA dunk contest to what guys do on the streets. Guys on the streets have ALWAYS been better dunkers than the NBAer's but its never taken away from what the NBA guys do. Thats why people still go crazy over VC's 2000 contest when guys were doing better sh*t THEN on the streets. So why can't we just give credit to PG for doing it in an NBA dunk contest? I haven't seen anyone else do it although Richardson and Iggy both did stuff PG probably can't even do. Its because I said, he and the Pacers are the new cool thing to hate.../threadI'm not really big on comparing to street dunkers either. That said, even just judging George's dunk on nothing else but the essentials (execution, style, force, showmanship) it left a bit to be desired, as was alluded in my post on the previous page. I think that's why it's not getting a lot of recognition (along with some of the other reasons pointed out on page 1).

Regarding Carter's 2000 contest, people may have been doing better things somewhere in the streets back then, but 99% of basketball fans didn't know about them and/or didn't see them. Internet videos were a rarity (and a major pain) in 1999 and even the biggest of dunk fiends, unless they had a boy in their backyard pulling off revolutionary dunks firsthand, hadn't seen the dunks Carter pulled off in 2000 until Carter actually performed them that Saturday evening.

For me, I go crazy for Vince Carter's dunk contest because I'll always connect it to the watershed moment of watching a guy complete dunks (on their first attempt) that I hadn't even ever dreamed of. I was waiting on an Isaiah Rider imitation or a powerful standard 360. I literally hadn't fathomed a player performing the clockwise cuff windmill 360 or hanging by his elbow. And the grace with which Carter executed those unseen dunks, I think, is why they still stand the test of time, and why people were blown away by that night in the first place.

fpliii
02-26-2014, 07:02 PM
I loved Wall's dunk, but this one was incredible. If he didn't try to put so much power in the first couple tries, he'd make it on his initial attempt most likely.

Amazing dunk.

moe94
02-26-2014, 07:09 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/TJRxtAE4qZG0w/giphy.gif http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/2062775/phfunk_medium_medium.gif

???

Mure
02-26-2014, 07:48 PM
George just looks awkward, his dunks aren't really pleasing to me. PLus he didn't really get that high.