PDA

View Full Version : Who are the most mentally strong players in the NBA?

Budadiiii
02-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Westbrook is the first guy that comes to mind. Anyone else?

fpliii
02-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Blake Griffin

navy
02-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Is Westbrook mentally strong or just dumb?

Budadiiii
02-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Kobe Bryant.

Rondo.

Nate Robinson.

Steve Nash.

J Shuttlesworth
02-25-2014, 06:28 PM
LeBron.

People will think I'm trolling, but to have owned game 7 in the finals and game 6 against the celtics like he did really says a lot. Those are the two highest pressure games in the highest pressure era of the game.

O_City_Thunder
02-25-2014, 06:28 PM
What up Budadiiii? A nikka been kinda missing you.

inclinerator
02-25-2014, 06:29 PM
bran

LeBron 06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-VzBeOrdAg

Budadiiii
Is Westbrook mentally strong or just dumb?
Mentally strong. He made straight A's through out school which shows great discipline and mental strength. Also never missed a game or practice before that freak accident and has returned from multiple surgeries like nothing even happened.

xoneatom
02-25-2014, 06:30 PM
duncan
kobe
garnett
ray allen
andre miller
cp3
z-bo
wade
noah
billups
dirk
rondo
westbrook

Budadiiii
02-25-2014, 06:31 PM
What up Budadiiii? A nikka been kinda missing you.
Sup bro. I threw the remote at my Panasonic TV so now I can't watch any of the games.

I've decided to give up on television for good. I'll just show up to the playoff games in person since my aunt has season tickets.

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Mamba, Nash, Anyone on the Spurs, Dirk, just to throw a few names out there

zoom17
02-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Sup bro. I threw the remote at my Panasonic TV so now I can't watch any of the games.

I've decided to give up on television for good. I'll just show up to the playoff games in person since my aunt has season tickets.

:oldlol:

http://i.minus.com/iHxJBsjLYh2rI.gif

Mass Debator
02-25-2014, 06:33 PM
I like to believe that a mentally strong person is someone is composed and I don't think Westbrook fits that role. If anything, he's aggressive and persistent.

Milbuck
Kobe
Westbrook
Wade
Noah
KG
CP3

Keno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-VzBeOrdAg

this.

zoom17
02-25-2014, 06:34 PM
I like to believe that a mentally strong person is someone is composed and I don't think Westbrook fits that role. If anything, he's aggressive and persistent.

And out of control:oldlol:

Rodmantheman
02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
:oldlol:

http://i.minus.com/iHxJBsjLYh2rI.gif

:oldlol: The Servant

Budadiiii
02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
That's fair enough I guess.

He is probably the most persistent athlete that I can think of.

zoom17
02-25-2014, 06:40 PM

He is probably the most persistent athlete that I can think of.

This is mentally strong?

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykdKxFWCRoc

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 06:42 PM

He is probably the most persistent athlete that I can think of.Mentally strong doesn't necessarily mean not being able to show emotion though. Qualifier is just to not be a retard and pick up techs/flagrants :lol

smoovegittar
02-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Tony Parker, Ray Allen, Steve Nash and Manu Ginobli off the top. Kobe and LeBron are a given. I thin it's no suprize that 2 of my picks are Spurs; Pop is the best coach in my opinion - he fosters thinking on his teams.

Uncle Drew
02-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Tim Duncan.

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Tony Parker, Ray Allen, Steve Nash and Manu Ginobli off the top. Kobe and LeBron are a given. I thin it's no suprize that 2 of my picks are Spurs; Pop is the best coach in my opinion - he fosters thinking on his teams.Think you meant to put in Duncan, but I agree completely.:cheers:

smoovegittar
02-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Think you meant to put in Duncan, but I agree completely.:cheers:
I would have put Timmy in - but those free throws kept me back. No disrespect to him tho.

Budadiiii
02-25-2014, 06:54 PM
This is mentally strong?

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykdKxFWCRoc
No one is perfect, but all things considered hell ****ing yes he's mentally strong.

Being overly emotional doesn't all of a sudden make you mentally weak that's for damn sure.

I love the way Westbrook acts because it wakes everybody else up. When you see a guy who cares that much it's hard not to be inspired by it. I would be devastated if we ever traded him.

Watching him dunk and let out that scream against the Heat was epic. Most entertaining player in the league bro.

Black Mamba's B
02-25-2014, 06:57 PM
Kobe
KG
Ray Allen
Dirk
Los Spurs
Westbrook
Noah
Melo's toughness is being tested this year he is still trying
Nash
Bosh

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 06:59 PM
I would have put Timmy in - but those free throws kept me back. No disrespect to him tho.I mean, the dude has 4 titles and 3 FMVP's. Plus he's still murdering young bloods at 37 while just about everyone else in his generation is getting wrecked by age :/

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Kobe
KG
Ray Allen
Dirk
Los Spurs
Westbrook
Noah
Melo's toughness is being tested this year he is still trying
Nash
BoshI want to disagree with Bosh, but then I remembered his hell days in Toronto. Agree with everyone on this list

Budadiiii
02-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Melo can't be on the list.

Playing hard does not = mentally strong.

He has shown that he doesn't dedicate himself enough off the court to live up to his full potential.

LeBron has almost lived up to his because he's dedicated on and off the court. The same can't be said for Melo.

K Xerxes
02-25-2014, 07:04 PM

Well, you clearly aren't mentally strong. :oldlol:

Budadiiii
02-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Well, you clearly aren't mentally strong. :oldlol:
Recently kicked an opiate addiction for the second time in two years. :oldlol:

Give me your address punk. I'll show you mental strength.

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Melo can't be on the list.

Playing hard does not = mentally strong.

He has shown that he doesn't dedicate himself enough off the court to live up to his full potential.

LeBron has almost lived up to his because he's dedicated on and off the court. The same can't be said for Melo.It's a tough call, I honestly would respect him more if he stayed in Denver. His game has basically been the same his entire career, which goes to your point about off-court work ethic.

Dr Hawk
02-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Kobe, Duncan, Nash, Dirk

alexd
02-25-2014, 07:07 PM
it depends on what you mean mentally strong
Mentally strong in game or outside of it?Getting to the NBA is a hard job with many hours in the gym training.It takes talent to get in the NBA but it needs a tough mind to excel and perseverance
In game mentally strong?Most veterans players.It comes with age

The Magics
02-25-2014, 07:08 PM

He'll think the living **** out of you.

Mr. Jabbar
02-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Kobe
Duncan
Fisher
Wade

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 07:09 PM

Give me your address punk. I'll show you mental strength.:oldlol: http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/621/036/1a2.png

Black Mamba's B
02-25-2014, 07:10 PM
I want to disagree with Bosh, but then I remembered his hell days in Toronto. Agree with everyone on this list
Thank you sir. Also with Bosh, he may have had to sacrifice the most in regards to touches and changing his style of play to fit their unique system. He has taken everything in stride and is a respectable guy; conducts himself well despite all of the criticism he gets

JT123
02-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Lebron, and it isn't even close. Best game 7 performer in NBA history! :bowdown: Doesn't get much more mentally strong than that.
Guys like Kobe and Westrbook aren't mentally strong, they are just selfish shot jackers. If Kobe is mentally strong then so is J.R Smith. :oldlol:

Eric Cartman
02-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Kobe winning the 2009 finals after losing the previous year and Lebron doing the same in 2012. Lebron especially with that game 6 against Boston.

sammichoffate
Thank you sir. Also with Bosh, he may have had to sacrifice the most in regards to touches and changing his style of play to fit their unique system. He has taken everything in stride and is a respectable guy; conducts himself well despite all of the criticism he getsYeah I just wish he didn't do all that weird **** once in a blue moon :oldlol:

sammichoffate
Kobe
Duncan
Fisher
WadeWaddup playa :cheers:

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Lebron, and it isn't even close. Best game 7 performer in NBA history! :bowdown: Doesn't get much more mentally strong than that.
Guys like Kobe and Westrbook aren't mentally strong, they are just selfish shot jackers. If Kobe is mentally strong then so is J.R Smith. :oldlol::facepalm Please stop
http://www.emperors.edu/qiblog/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2013/01/Kobe-Bryant-on-Twitter.jpghttp://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1344098.1368572170!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/kobe15s-2-web.jpg

Black Mamba's B
02-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Yeah I just wish he didn't do all that weird **** once in a blue moon :oldlol:
Lmfao yea he does some questionable shit... his champaigne shower too was wtf

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Lmfao yea he does some questionable shit... his champaigne shower too was wtfThat was whatever, I believe that was when they won the title

smoovegittar
02-25-2014, 07:33 PM
I mean, the dude has 4 titles and 3 FMVP's. Plus he's still murdering young bloods at 37 while just about everyone else in his generation is getting wrecked by age :/
Like I said - no disrespect. Love Timmy. But free throws are a confidence thing. We're talking about cerebral playing here, yes?

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Like I said - no disrespect. Love Timmy. But free throws are a confidence thing. We're talking about cerebral playing here, yes?Which free throws in particular are we talking about here?

Doranku
02-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Like I said - no disrespect. Love Timmy. But free throws are a confidence thing. We're talking about cerebral playing here, yes?

idk if I agree with that. I don't think a guy like Shaq, for example, lacked confidence.

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 07:42 PM
idk if I agree with that. I don't think a guy like Shaq, for example, lacked confidence.^agree Timmy's made so many clutch free throws and clutch plays, both on offense and defense. Missing a few doesn't all of a sudden give him a label as being mentally soft or lacking confidence, they just didn't go down.

J Shuttlesworth
02-25-2014, 07:44 PM
:facepalm Please stop
http://www.emperors.edu/qiblog/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2013/01/Kobe-Bryant-on-Twitter.jpghttp://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1344098.1368572170!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/kobe15s-2-web.jpg
Derrick Rose went through surgery too. Does that make him mentally tough? :lol

Black Mamba's B
02-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Derrick Rose went through surgery too. Does that make him mentally tough? :lol
You serious or just trolling?

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 07:51 PM
You serious are just trolling?sigh...some people :facepalm

SaS820
02-25-2014, 07:52 PM
Chauncey Billups before he fell into a black-hole these past couple years.

tmacattack33
02-25-2014, 07:52 PM
:lol

Westbrook is probably one of the dumbest players in the league.

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Chauncey Billups before he fell into a black-hole these past couple years.Blame Dumars for trading him for AI and not giving that Detroit team a few more years together :cry:

smoovegittar
02-25-2014, 08:00 PM
^agree Timmy's made so many clutch free throws and clutch plays, both on offense and defense. Missing a few doesn't all of a sudden give him a label as being mentally soft or lacking confidence, they just didn't go down.
I did not call him mentally soft. And up to the last 2 years, he has been acknowledged around the league as a fair free throw shooter at best.

I re-iterate :free throw shooting is all about confidence. Ask any coach.

Please don't confuse free throw shooting confidence with game-action confidence. When you're at the line, it's all about you. Same applies to Shaq.

SaS820
02-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Blame Dumars for trading him for AI and not giving that Detroit team a few more years together :cry:

Stuckey was supposed to break out and take the reigns and AI was supposed to breathe some life into a stagnating team while Billups got to go home and play on a "contender." It all seemed like a good idea at the time but hindsight is 20/20.

SilkkTheShocker
02-25-2014, 08:08 PM

Loser :oldlol:

sammichoffate
02-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Stuckey was supposed to break out and take the reigns and AI was supposed to breathe some life into a stagnating team while Billups got to go home and play on a "contender." It all seemed like a good idea at the time but hindsight is 20/20.I didn't see all the hype for AI or Stuckey tbh Billups was the catalyst for that team, Phil Jackson even said it in 04 when they lost to them. Dude was FMVP for a reason so I was pissed when the trade happened

russwest0
02-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Westbrook
Kobe

tpols
02-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Duncan
Parker
Dirk
Kobe
KG
Noah
Ray Allen

To me mentally strong is about knowing what you have to do and being extremely persistent in getting it done.. confidence/toughness/understanding/dominance/focus etc.

A guy like Westbrook has poor focus and understanding.. hes just really wired and aggressive, not so much mentally strong.

Imo you kinda have to be a veteran to be truly mentally strong because your knowledge and experience make up a part of it

SilkkTheShocker
02-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Kobe demanding a trade out of LA took away any claim of him being "mentally strong".

oh the horror
02-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Westbrook is aggressive. I wouldn't say "mentally strong".

These two aren't the same thing.

I've seen that kid get heated and unglued a lot.

tpols
02-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Kobe demanding a trade out of LA took away any claim of him being "mentally strong".

Kobe has been through a shit ton of criticism at every turn his whole career and has never waivered from being dedicated to perfecting his craft.. Hes got some of the the best focus and determination ever. One ancedote wont change that.

smoovegittar
02-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Kobe has been through a shit ton of criticism at every turn his whole career and has never waivered from being dedicated to perfecting his craft.. Hes got some of the the best focus and determination ever. One ancedote wont change that.

...and until he retires, in my eyes he's the best player in the league.

Illuminati
02-25-2014, 08:34 PM
The player who averages the most ppg in elimination games and game 7s.

Solefade
02-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Lebron - game 6 ECF most pressure any professional ATHLETE has ever faced and niqqa destroys everything

http://rollingout.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/lebron-james-destroys-celtics.jpg

DonDadda59
02-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Tim Duncan by a country mile. Too many of the guys mentioned (Westbrook or Kobe :lol ) are selfish divas with fragile egos. Duncan is a samurai assassin who does whatever it takes to win on and off the court.

DaSeba5
02-25-2014, 08:36 PM
People call LeBron a choker, but I don't see how the guy who is terrific in elimination games and game 7s is mentally weak.

Big#50
02-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Duncan and it isn't even close.

Nash
02-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Lebron and its not even close. None of those players you've named have even experienced 10% of the pressure and scrutiny Lebron has faced yet he's the only one of those guys who has a ring on his finger and multiple game 7 heroics.

russwest0
02-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Westbrook is aggressive. I wouldn't say "mentally strong".

These two aren't the same thing.

I've seen that kid get heated and unglued a lot.

When he gets heated his team almost always needs an energy boost. He got ejected vs the Wizards (a team that always plays us tough and usually beats us) early in the season from a heated exchange with Nene. Our team got uplifted, came back and won the game. Reporters were asking him questions about controlling his emotions and he just said "Did we get the win? Alright..."

He knows what he's doing. You also have to understand before the Grizzlies collapse the dude was the scapegoat for every single problem in OKC and never once changed his playstyle or any aspect of himself to make others happy.

K Xerxes
02-25-2014, 08:48 PM

Um, tough guy?

That just means you were too mentally weak to get into the addiction in the first place. :pimp:

Rubio2Gasol
02-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Blake Griffin

:coleman:

You're usually serious, so justify this.

SilkkTheShocker
02-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Um, tough guy?

That just means you were too mentally weak to get into the addiction in the first place. :pimp:

First time I have ever agreed with anything you ever said

funnystuff
02-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Lol @ saying Westbrook is mentally strong, he's mentally unstable.

K Xerxes
02-25-2014, 09:34 PM
First time I have ever agreed with anything you ever said

I'll take that as a compliment for what I've done until now.

SilkkTheShocker
02-25-2014, 09:43 PM
I'll take that as a compliment for what I've done until now.

It really isn't. You're a marksman at hitting the wrong target. And guess by the way you post, you seem kind of soft. But you were right about BUDADDI. So I will give you props for that

K Xerxes
02-25-2014, 09:56 PM
It really isn't. You're a marksman at hitting the wrong target. And guess by the way you post, you seem kind of soft. But you were right about BUDADDI. So I will give you props for that

Well, at least you're not talking about Durant. Guess LeBron finally stepping up saved you the trouble of having to continue with the hating Durant crusade you've been on for the past couple of months.

Yao Ming's Foot
02-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Tim Duncan by a country mile. Too many of the guys mentioned (Westbrook or Kobe :lol ) are selfish divas with fragile egos. Duncan is a samurai assassin who does whatever it takes to win on and off the court.

Most be a pretty weak player if all you do is win and yet are still looking up to a selfish diva in the ring department. :confusedshrug:

Myth vs reality