PDA

View Full Version : lebron james makes more in endorements than the top 10 mlb players combined

Keno
02-26-2014, 02:12 AM
http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/530d01e96da8111b539ef569-800-600/01-174.png

earn that dough:applause:

Im Still Ballin
02-26-2014, 02:13 AM
The King.
:bowdown:

LeGod gettin paid what he's earned

Nothing new here folks, just plain LeDOMINATION

Akrazotile
02-26-2014, 02:15 AM
Urban youth spending all their dough on sneakers and jerseys.

BUT ITS LIEK THE REPUBLICANS FAULT DOE

Akrazotile
02-26-2014, 02:16 AM
oh...

and in b4 jason collins makes the list.

Keno
02-26-2014, 02:16 AM
The King.
:bowdown:

LeGod gettin paid what he's earned

Nothing new here folks, just plain LeDOMINATION

seriously, lebron has been owning the nba for about six straight years now. it's unbelievable what he's doing.

ihoopallday
02-26-2014, 02:18 AM
Imagine if the NBA didn't have a salary cap. Players like Bron, Kobe, CP3, Melo, etc. would have crazy contracts. :lol or just be on the same team.

MavsSuperFan
02-26-2014, 02:33 AM
NBA players must be more marketable. Kind of destroys the theory that the reason the nba is less popular/profitable than the nfl and mlb (according to most polls) is due to the racial makeup of the nba.

russwest0
02-26-2014, 02:34 AM
All of these guys have Michael Jordan to thank for their earnings.

russwest0
02-26-2014, 02:35 AM
NBA players must be more marketable. Kind of destroys the theory that the reason the nba is less popular/profitable than the nfl and mlb (according to most polls) is due to the racial makeup of the nba.

It's because the NBA has far less competitiveness (80% of the league is completely irrelevant) and far more integrity issues than the other sports.

sportjames23
02-26-2014, 02:42 AM
NBA players have been more marketable than MLB or NFL players since the 80s. Stern focused his marketing on players, whereas the NFL and MLB mostly focus on teams.

It also helps that fans are closer to the action with NBA players (smaller arenas), NBA players aren't covered up (compared to NFL players), have fewer players than NFL and MLB teams, and one player can affect a game way more than one player could in the other two sports (also a reason Stern was able to market certain players).

DaSeba5
02-26-2014, 02:44 AM
NBA players have been more marketable than MLB or NFL players since the 80s. Stern focused his marketing on players, whereas the NFL and MLB mostly focus on teams.

It also helps that fans are closer to the action with NBA players (smaller arenas), NBA players aren't covered up (compared to NFL players), have fewer players than NFL and MLB teams, and one player can affect a game way more than one player could in the other two sports (also a reason Stern was able to market certain players).

This. The biggest downside to this is that the fans focus more on the individual aspect of the sport and tend to forget it's a team sport. We can't watch OKC-Miami without people only focusing on KD-LeBron. Doesn't happen as much with other sports except like when two elite QBs go at it, but again it's not the same since Brady and Manning don't play against each other.

Smook A.
02-26-2014, 02:45 AM
Look at the nhl. What a joke of a league lol. Worst sport out of the 4 major ones

kennethgriffin
02-26-2014, 02:48 AM
kobes above mlb too

and imagine if kobe never had a rape trial or problems with shaq

thats quite a small gap between kobe and bron considering the damage controll and public image with females and the hood communities that blacklisted kobe due to growing up with rich white kids

Keno
02-26-2014, 02:50 AM
kobes above mlb too

just barely. lebron is miles ahead.

Smook A.
02-26-2014, 02:52 AM
How the hell does Amar'e still have endorsements? What does he even sponsor lol? the only commercial I saw him in was the nba tickets one with rudy gay

kennethgriffin
02-26-2014, 02:52 AM

kobes not as big in america among company representatives

ya

kobe has a few black eyes from past mistakes

but world wide kobes 10 times as popular .. he owns china. he owns europe .. even past his prime and not playing he gets voted into allstar starting lineups

even MJ had to ask vince if he could take his spot when the fans left him off their ballot back when mj was wizzing it up ( fully healthy )

kobe will always be the bigger name

Akrazotile
02-26-2014, 02:54 AM

My guess is that the reason NBA endorsements are so high is because the NBA presumably has by far the largest percentage of its fans in the young demographic. Football has young and old, MLB has old, and NBA has young. Not to say every sport doesn't have some of both, but that is the general pattern.

Young people are the most desirable marketing demographic because of their spending habits.

buddha
02-26-2014, 02:55 AM
so does Kobe and this is mainly because of shoes.

football players and mlb players don't have signature shoes that sell for $200

Illuminati
02-26-2014, 03:02 AM
He's still underpaid tbh.

sportjames23
02-26-2014, 03:04 AM
so does Kobe and this is mainly because of shoes.

football players and mlb players don't have signature shoes that sell for $200

Exactly. Hell, the only football player I can recall that had his own signature line (at least one that sold) was Emmit Smith. Them ES22s were dope doe.

http://counterkicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ES22-J99774-club-blue-white-black-gum.jpg

http://cdn.sneakernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/emmitt-smith-reebok-es22-4-570x427.jpg

kennethgriffin
02-26-2014, 03:08 AM
Exactly. Hell, the only football player I can recall that had his own signature line (at least one that sold) was Emmit Smith. Them ES22s were dope doe.

http://counterkicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ES22-J99774-club-blue-white-black-gum.jpg

http://cdn.sneakernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/emmitt-smith-reebok-es22-4-570x427.jpg

lol why does it look like a girls shoe.. its all stumpy and like a high heal or some sh*t

dude are you a chick brah?

:roll:

Mr. Jabbar
02-26-2014, 03:13 AM
Outside US only hardcore nba fans know lebron, this was never the case with jordan or kobe, any casual sport fan knew/knows who they are. Perhaps its the fact that its easier to show them some highlights footage rather than a boxscore... which lebron footage would you show to a foreigner? the ray allen three? :facepalm

VIntageNOvel
02-26-2014, 03:16 AM
Outside US only hardcore nba fans know lebron, this was never the case with jordan or kobe, any casual sport fan knew/knows who they are. Perhaps its the fact that its easier to show them some highlights footage rather than a boxscore... which lebron footage can be marketable outside the us? the ray allen three? :facepalm

i think you must have underrated lebron here,
he's quite famous even outside US
everyone know lebron, the baldie that getting blocked twice by kobe in the same game

TheMilkyBarKid
02-26-2014, 03:16 AM
how is amare still on this list??

Akrazotile
02-26-2014, 03:18 AM
Outside US only hardcore nba fans know lebron, this was never the case with jordan or kobe, any casual sport fan knew/knows who they are. Perhaps its the fact that its easier to show them some highlights footage rather than a boxscore... which lebron footage would you show to a foreigner? the ray allen three? :facepalm

Rapebe def has the market cornered in places like India and Pakistan where theyre all about that use of physical force. Even China too. He gets respect there for his "no means yes" approach to sexual relations.

I cant knock his hustle. The man knows his audience, and knows how to play to them. Probably why he came down with a rape charge in the first place. All part of the chess game.

Akrazotile
02-26-2014, 03:19 AM
how is amare still on this list??

That stood out to me too, prob signed big long contracts when he got to nyc that are still in effect.

sportjames23
02-26-2014, 03:44 AM
lol why does it look like a girls shoe.. its all stumpy and like a high heal or some sh*t

dude are you a chick brah?

:roll:

The man who has Kobe's nuts constantly in his mouth questioning me? :biggums:

JebronLames
02-26-2014, 04:09 AM

:applause: that's why is okay to be a LeBron Stan. You can be a fan of the player, and not the team in basketball.

SexSymbol
02-26-2014, 04:29 AM
lol, Kobe's 35 and injured, been on the same team for 18 years, that what you should've wrote instead.

SexSymbol
02-26-2014, 04:32 AM
And the reason for both being over the MLB, is because NBA is 50x-100x more popular throughout the world. MLB is staying alive literally just because of America.
NBA is also 20x-50x more popular than NFL too, so there's no doubt that LeBron or another hyped superstar will overtake them in near future too.

russwest0
02-26-2014, 04:33 AM
And the reason for both being over the MLB, is because NBA is 50x-100x more popular throughout the world. MLB is staying alive literally just because of America.
NBA is also 20x-50x more popular than NFL too, so there's no doubt that LeBron or another hyped superstar will overtake them in near future too.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Megabox!
02-26-2014, 04:34 AM
The amount of bullsh*t you manage to post on these forums is actually quite astonishing

SexSymbol
02-26-2014, 04:57 AM
Believe me mate, nobody in Asia or Europe cares about NFL.
Britain don't give the slightest of a ****, I've lived the for half a year, literally nobody wanted to talk about it, some even asked what NFL is.
Russia is even worse in that aspect, I won't comment other major markets in China, India, but Europe has no interest in NFL.

TheMilkyBarKid
02-26-2014, 05:03 AM
kobes not as big in america among company representatives

ya

kobe has a few black eyes from past mistakes

but world wide kobes 10 times as popular .. he owns china. he owns europe .. even past his prime and not playing he gets voted into allstar starting lineups

even MJ had to ask vince if he could take his spot when the fans left him off their ballot back when mj was wizzing it up ( fully healthy )

kobe will always be the bigger name
Dem Asians love them some kobe, doesn't make him any better a player though :)

hahaitme
02-26-2014, 05:19 AM

If you think LeBron isn't big outside the US you need a vacation.

You also contradict yourself, honestly, just think for a second - do you really think J's are more appealing to "casual" fans than dunks (which by the way, would take up 90% of LeBron's highlight reels)? Really?

Gotta love that internationally famed Jordan logo, you know, the one where he's shooting a jumpshot. Oh wait.

JohnFreeman
02-26-2014, 05:20 AM
Baseball is awful

hahaitme
02-26-2014, 05:23 AM
Believe me mate, nobody in Asia or Europe cares about NFL.
Britain don't give the slightest of a ****, I've lived the for half a year, literally nobody wanted to talk about it, some even asked what NFL is.
Russia is even worse in that aspect, I won't comment other major markets in China, India, but Europe has no interest in NFL.

China and India don't care about NFL either. Neither do any of the Oceanic countries.

The rest of the world have their own codes of football (ie: union, league, afl, etc). Either that or they only care about some other sport (soccer, cricket, table tennis lol).

I can tell you now too, aside from Japan, baseball is pretty irrelevant too. Although probably played more in highschools for team sports more often than something like NFL

SexSymbol
02-26-2014, 05:29 AM
China and India don't care about NFL either. Neither do any of the Oceanic countries.

The rest of the world have their own codes of football (ie: union, league, afl, etc). Either that or they only care about some other sport (soccer, cricket, table tennis lol).

I can tell you now too, aside from Japan, baseball is pretty irrelevant too. Although probably played more in highschools for team sports more often than something like NFL
None of baseball or american football hold a candle to real football or basketball.

And don't make fun of table tennis, that shit is awesome, maybe not so entertaining to watch, but sure as hell more fun to play than baseball.

Hoopz2332
02-26-2014, 07:03 AM
lebron,the most marketable player since Jordan:applause:

Hoopz2332
02-26-2014, 07:04 AM

NBA is more global than NFL quite easily. NFL is only big in the USA but outside of it,noone cares.

Hoopz2332
02-26-2014, 07:11 AM

BS! I deaded this a while back and Kobe stans went ghost when they saw the info to support my claims:oldlol:

Lebron23
02-26-2014, 07:12 AM
That's what you call a legit Global Superstar.

Olacinco
02-26-2014, 07:19 AM
In b4 amount doubles when they find legit cure for baldness

Hoopz2332
02-26-2014, 09:12 AM

NBA is ahead of MLB for sure. MLB is only surviving off the "old guard". The younger generation doesn't care.

MLB Struggling To Attract One Key Demographic

One key demographic -- children ages 6 to 17 -- is conspicuously losing interest in the sport. According to the Wall Street Journal, kids accounted for 4.3 percent of the average audience for the ALCS and NLCS this year, down from 7.4 percent one decade ago. Kids made up about 4.6 percent of the World Series audience. That figure is lower than the number of kids in the 6-17 range who watch the NFL, NBA, NHL and the English Premier League.

Making the situation more troublesome for MLB is that fewer kids are playing Little League. Matthew Futterman of the Wall Street Journal notes that 2.1 million children played Little League baseball last year, down from 2.6 million in 1997.

http://i.imgur.com/0xl8vio.png

Nash
02-26-2014, 09:17 AM
Seeing that, Lebron could easily reduce his salary to 15m to keep things flexible.

Also it is not fair to ask Bosh to leave money on the table, he's not making those kinds of money on the side. Hope Bosh gets the max while Lebron and Wade can take 15m each to accommodate the front office.

Lebron23
02-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Lebron is the official cash cow of the NBA.

nathanjizzle
02-26-2014, 09:43 AM
d rose :bowdown:

Nikola_
02-26-2014, 09:46 AM
i would like to see numbers for europe, getting the feeling bran isnt popular here

Lebron23
02-26-2014, 10:10 AM
i would like to see numbers for europe, getting the feeling bran isnt popular here

we have plenty of european Lebron fans in this forum.

R.I.P.
02-26-2014, 10:16 AM

Of course they are more marketable. Which rich countries care about baseball? Japan, USA? Baseball players are completely unknown in Europe and probably China, too. People might recognize the NY Yankees brand and that

SexSymbol
02-26-2014, 10:44 AM
He's pretty popular here.
Most casual fans tend to like Dirk more, because everybody loves Dirk, but LeBron is up there.
By now he's more popular than Kobe for sure, back in Kobe's prime it was literally 50/50.
It's Asia and India where Kobe has the clear edge.
And Kobe really ****ed himself up with that rape scandal, had it not happened, most people would consider him top5 and he probably would've been the most marketable player in history. I think he's second now, obviously behind MJ, but LeBron's catching up.

Nevaeh
02-26-2014, 10:48 AM
kobes above mlb too

and imagine if kobe never had a rape trial or problems with shaq

thats quite a small gap between kobe and bron considering the damage controll and public image with females and the hood communities that blacklisted kobe due to growing up with rich white kids

A major market team and established brand like the Lakers doesn't hurt either. Winning those extra rings and not having any more incidents also helped a lot.

It's still quite impressive though, how Lebron built his brand on the backs of two small market teams while playing a "less than aesthetically pleasing style of B-ball" over the years, when compared to his contemporaries.

imdaman99
02-26-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't understand why star players don't sign with the Knicks at a low price. If you're a good player (and you win) you will make loads. Look at Amare. Shit look at Rose... how old is this? :oldlol: Although I suppose if you aren't going to play, might as well make commercials.

LEFT4DEAD
02-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Why are you talking about this, when you Kobe' fans got owned in other thread about how Lebron is the most popular basketball player in the world, by a huge margin, even in China too? :confusedshrug:

Akrazotile
02-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Seeing that, Lebron could easily reduce his salary to 15m to keep things flexible.

Hope Bosh gets the max while Lebron and Wade can take 15m each to accommodate the front office.

He can but the rest of the players union would be pissed. Dunno if he wants that backlash from his peers.

Hoopz2332
02-26-2014, 11:44 AM
I don't understand why star players don't sign with the Knicks at a low price. If you're a good player (and you win) you will make loads. Look at Amare. Shit look at Rose... how old is this? :oldlol: Although I suppose if you aren't going to play, might as well make commercials.

True. Playing In New York basically equals instant cash if you're relatively popular:lol Chicago and LA are similar.

tmacattack33
02-26-2014, 12:32 PM
That is no surprise.

The MLB is hanging on by having a large fan base of older peoples. It is an old school game and it is fading out.

The NBA (and probably even NHL) have a wide margin over the MLB in terms of younger fans. And these younger fans are the people who spend money and are the demographic that advertisers aim at.

There's no use in having Derek Jeter endorse a product, since most of his fans are over 50 and don't impulsively buy random sh*t.

See ya later MLB, nice knowing you (not really...it is a ridiculously boring sport and it clogs up Sportscenter and sports shows every night during its season)

Bodhi
02-26-2014, 12:39 PM
True. Playing In New York basically equals instant cash if you're relatively popular:lol Chicago and LA are similar.
It can backfire though

Dwight lost almost all of his endorsements after everything he pulled trying to get out of Orlando and then his stay in LA

I think all he has now is the Adidas contract

Dizzle-2k7
02-26-2014, 12:41 PM
:oldlol: :no: Lol, first off, LBJ's huge shit the bedfest in '11 Finals eliminate's Bron from MJ's elite level forever, ain't gonna happen:roll:

Second, as an MJ fan, and most MJ fans will tell you, we WANT to see someone one day surpass MJ, we want to be awe inspired by greatness as we were back then, we just won't recognize inferior players, sorry, LeBron STILL falls short, way too many black marks in his resume, especially Finals performances. No one the likes of Boris Diaw was giving MJ open looks or a Jason Terry type role player ever dared talk shit to #23. We welcome the next GOAT player, Bronzy just ain't it.

Third, this thread is about that MJ dunk in the OP. Feel free to make one about LeBron. Also, us MJ fans won't try to hijack said thread because we ain't insecure.:applause: :cheers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/sh0rtykut/16hp3c.gif

TheMan
02-26-2014, 12:48 PM
The NBA has been a star driven league since Bird/Magic. It has it's pros and cons, most notably the lack of real competition by teams that don't have enough"star power".

tmacattack33
02-26-2014, 12:51 PM
The NBA has been a star driven league since Bird/Magic. It has it's pros and cons, most notably the lack of real competition by teams that don't have enough"star power".

Who cares.

Most people ages 18-30 would rather watch a Pistons - Wizards game than a baseball game that includes two of the top teams.

Hoopz2332
02-26-2014, 03:27 PM
That is no surprise.

The MLB is hanging on by having a large fan base of older peoples. It is an old school game and it is fading out.

The NBA (and probably even NHL) have a wide margin over the MLB in terms of younger fans. And these younger fans are the people who spend money and are the demographic that advertisers aim at.

There's no use in having Derek Jeter endorse a product, since most of his fans are over 50 and don't impulsively buy random sh*t.

See ya later MLB, nice knowing you (not really...it is a ridiculously boring sport and it clogs up Sportscenter and sports shows every night during its season)

:applause:

Hoopz2332
02-28-2014, 11:05 AM
It can backfire though

Dwight lost almost all of his endorsements after everything he pulled trying to get out of Orlando and then his stay in LA

I think all he has now is the Adidas contract

True:lol

hawksdogsbraves
02-28-2014, 11:45 AM
All the people trashing baseball aren't looking at the facts. Just because you think it's a boring sport doesn't mean it's doing poorly, or that the NBA is going to surge past it in popularity.

Of course the NBA has more marketable stars. Marketing stars has always been the number one priority of the NBA, above competitive parity or even fairly calling games.

If you think more people watch a Pistons-Wizards game than a Dodgers/Giants game, you're kidding yourself. The Dodgers average 46,000 fans per game, for 81 home games per season. Their television deal is worth more than $6 billion dollars, and it was just signed last year. For reference, the Lakers signed a $3 billion TV deal in 2011.

So yeah, trash baseball, it's a 'boring old white man sport', but the facts are that it's a more popular league than the NBA at the moment. It is more profitable and has more people watching it overall.

Hoopz2332
02-28-2014, 11:58 AM
but the facts are that it's a more popular league than the NBA at the moment.

No it's not.

hawksdogsbraves
02-28-2014, 12:10 PM
No it's not.

By what standard? The MLB makes more money, has more fans watching the games. Higher revenue, higher tv revenue, better attendance. It's really not even particularly close.

Yeah, NBA Finals ratings kill World Series ratings, is that the only thing you're going by?

MavsSuperFan
02-28-2014, 02:58 PM
It's because the NBA has far less competitiveness (80% of the league is completely irrelevant) and far more integrity issues than the other sports.
That is the main problem with the nba imo.
I am amazed some franchises have any fans.

hawksdogsbraves
02-28-2014, 03:07 PM
That is the main problem with the nba imo.
I am amazed some franchises have any fans.

Some franchises don't.

MavsSuperFan
02-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Foreign popularity doesn't translate into dollars.

Baseball is far more international than the NFL.

Japan, South Korea, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, and other countries in the caribbean love baseball.

MavsSuperFan
02-28-2014, 03:56 PM
NBA is ahead of MLB for sure. MLB is only surviving off the "old guard". The younger generation doesn't care.

MLB Struggling To Attract One Key Demographic

http://i.imgur.com/0xl8vio.png
NBA will be ahead no doubt in the future.

But the "old guard" is still here and they got the money.

MLB is like fox news. They are successful now, but the audience is dying out.

oarabbus
02-28-2014, 05:45 PM
MLB sucks

hawksdogsbraves
02-28-2014, 06:20 PM
NBA will be ahead no doubt in the future.

But the "old guard" is still here and they got the money.

MLB is like fox news. They are successful now, but the audience is dying out.

So I guess soccer will be ahead of basketball here in 20 years? :bowdown:

People have been saying that baseball is dying since the 70's. If anything, the NBA was more popular in relation to MLB and the NFL in the 1990's and early 2000's than it is now.

MavsSuperFan
02-28-2014, 08:34 PM
So I guess soccer will be ahead of basketball here in 20 years? :bowdown:

People have been saying that baseball is dying since the 70's. If anything, the NBA was more popular in relation to MLB and the NFL in the 1990's and early 2000's than it is now.
The MLB has a serious demographics problem. A couple of years ago I couldn't name a hardcore MLB fan under 30. Now its under 35.

Its not replacing its current fans.

Hoopz2332
04-16-2014, 07:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ZHyOWaY.jpg

Lebron23
04-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Lecashcow

KyrieTheFuture
04-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Baseball is incredibly popular in California among the 20ish year olds

mr.big35
04-16-2014, 09:13 AM
MLB biggest problems is the steroid issues. A star in baseball would be immediately linked to some sort of steroid use. baseball biggest stars are hispanic players and its hard to market them.

imdaman99
04-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Imagine if Rogaine signed Bran... he would be making double what they make combined :bowdown:

STATUTORY
04-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Baseball is incredibly popular in California among the 20ish year olds

btewtween lincecum and puig i aint even surprised

Imagine if Rogaine signed Bran... he would be making double what they make combined

also be doubling dat follicle count :applause:

tmacattack33
04-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Baseball is an old school game that flourished in a slow paced era (no iphones, no internet, no on-demand tv or movie service for viewers like net-flix). It was a cute and relaxing thing to do on a saturday or sunday.

But america is changing.

And also there is a demographic aspect here...where a large portion of its audience is caucasian.

It still gets decent ratings because it gets high viewership amongst older peoples. But amongst the younger peoples that advertisers care about, NBA kicks its ass.

Hoopz2332
04-17-2014, 07:30 AM
Baseball is an old school game that flourished in a slow paced era (no iphones, no internet, no on-demand tv or movie service for viewers like net-flix). It was a cute and relaxing thing to do on a saturday or sunday.

But america is changing.

And also there is a demographic aspect here...where a large portion of its audience is caucasian.

It still gets decent ratings because it gets high viewership amongst older peoples. But amongst the younger peoples that advertisers care about, NBA kicks its ass.

MLB has a more diverse audience than NHL (Hockey).

Bless Mathews
04-17-2014, 08:45 AM
What's mlb?

Hoopz2332
04-17-2014, 08:53 AM
What's mlb?

baseball:biggums:

Nash
04-17-2014, 11:04 AM
with all that money he takes, you'd think he'd take 5m less so he can have Anthony on his team, keep winning and make even more money out of endorsments.

Winning = More big money, erases the history of losing and everything else.