PDA

View Full Version : Besides a house, a car and sufficient food and clothing...do we need more money?

tgan3
02-26-2014, 05:58 AM
Logically speaking, a roof over our heads, sufficient food and clothing and for a bonus, a car ( I would say it is a necessity in modern times, but it can be a luxury if you don't mind public transport and the inconveniences) is all we need.

I am not talking about huge mansions, penthouses and nice condos or branded cars but just a basic nice house and car is all we need. Most families have all these, anything else is just extravagance.

Realistically speaking, is there any difference from living in a normal house compared to a mansion? (Of course, it will look nice and all in the start like a new toy but you will grow weary of it) Aesthetically, a new house or car looks much nicer, but they are just looks the basic function is the same.

The chase of wealth is a chase of snobbism, most of us have everything we need. We just want something that looks nicer than others...:facepalm

b1imtf
02-26-2014, 05:59 AM
lol

JohnFreeman
02-26-2014, 06:08 AM
You can be poor and I will be rich

East_Stone_Ya
02-26-2014, 06:33 AM
You can be poor and I will be rich

more you post...richer you get :rolleyes:

Jasi
02-26-2014, 06:51 AM
Logically speaking, a roof over our heads, sufficient food and clothing and for a bonus, a car ( I would say it is a necessity in modern times, but it can be a luxury if you don't mind public transport and the inconveniences) is all we need.

I am not talking about huge mansions, penthouses and nice condos or branded cars but just a basic nice house and car is all we need. Most families have all these, anything else is just extravagance.

Realistically speaking, is there any difference from living in a normal house compared to a mansion? (Of course, it will look nice and all in the start like a new toy but you will grow weary of it) Aesthetically, a new house or car looks much nicer, but they are just looks the basic function is the same.

The chase of wealth is a chase of snobbism, most of us have everything we need. We just want something that looks nicer than others...:facepalm

I guess you never heard about Maslow?

http://giuseppegianni.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/maslows-pyramid.gif

nathanjizzle
02-26-2014, 09:38 AM

No its not, competition breeds progression. Lots of people that chase wealth contribute to progress in an industry or human society as a whole. Elon Musk for example, all he wants money for is to create his tech companies like paypal, tesla, and space x. if he didnt have the funds to create those companies, then how could we have continued toward an electric car revolution, or sending man to mars? he could have retired already and did nothing with his paypal money, but he spent most of his earnings from paypal to create those companies.

If competition and the need to get the most money as we can didnt exist in humans, wed probably still be living in huts and using bow and arrows for hunting, because their would be no desire to make things better, only to be content.

DonD13
02-26-2014, 09:57 AM
you have the choice not to chase those things sir.

ArbitraryWater
02-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Kind of agree.

However they dont just "look nicer", can do more things&more efficiently... whatever it is you are buying. Makes everything easier. And living in a mansion over a simple house/home, is a lot better too.

JohnFreeman
02-26-2014, 10:09 AM
more you post...richer you get :rolleyes:
I make really good money

Bush4Ever
02-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Realistically speaking, is there any difference from living in a normal house compared to a mansion?

Yes.

You can tell that by people who live in mansions staying in mansions instead of moving back to regular homes, and using the difference in money to satisfy their other wants and preferences.

It is ridiculously arrogant to presume to know other people's preferences, what they should be doing with their money, and these sort of things.

The statement "the chase of wealth is a chase of snobbism, most of us have everything we need. We just want something that looks nicer than others" is not even worth a comment.

JEFFERSON MONEY
02-26-2014, 10:41 AM
I don't need a house or a car.

But I need a laptop and some pocket change for a Snickers.

CeltsGarlic
02-26-2014, 11:02 AM
lol you dont like traveling, partying and etc?

DukeDelonte13
02-26-2014, 11:05 AM
if you got a house and a car you are doing better than 95% of the world.

Akrazotile
02-26-2014, 11:45 AM
The main reason you have to keep up economically with the society around you is that if you dont, you will not get wimmenz.

Otherwise nobody would do it.

DukeDelonte13
02-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Being brainwashed by society and culture into thinking 'lavish = good' isn't a good thing.

You don't need to pay 1000 dollars for some fancy meal when you can make an equivalent dish yourself for 100.

You don't need a mansion, you just need enough space to live.

You don't need a Lambo, you can be fine with a Toyota.

Your life isn't better with those crazy things, outside of the fact you can brag about them and 'feel accomplished'.

Like the other poster said, "If you have a house and a car you're doing better than 95% of the world." We don't need everything we have. Greed and excess are bad things. I could get rid of 95% of my possessions and not be any worse off.

i know some people that have so much f*cking money and live in very modest homes and drive very modest cars. Conversely i know people who do decently but live in the nicer homes in the more expensive neighborhoods and drive the flashy cars.. Guess which people are happier?

It's all an image thing. Some people like to show off. :confusedshrug:

i got a client that owns around 20 million worth of properties and he drives around in a early 2000's camry and lives in a 400k house. I respect that.

Bandito
02-26-2014, 12:36 PM
i know some people that have so much f*cking money and live in very modest homes and drive very modest cars. Conversely i know people who do decently but live in the nicer homes in the more expensive neighborhoods and drive the flashy cars.. Guess which people are happier?

i got a client that owns around 20 million worth of properties and he drives around in a early 2000's camry and lives in a 400k house. I respect that.
Ok this is just crazy. I would at least drive a Toyota. :roll:

tmacattack33
02-26-2014, 12:40 PM
The main reason you have to keep up economically with the society around you is that if you dont, you will not get wimmenz.

Otherwise nobody would do it.

This is only true if your older than like 30 I think.

Girls my age (20's) are banging the people who are considered socially popular and whatever.

And of course, if you're in college, none of your classmates have money anyway so that is thrown out the window.

-p.tiddy-
02-26-2014, 12:49 PM
"NEED" is a strong word...we could all live in public shelters without cars and eat scraps and not "NEED" anything else

"WANT" is a better word

besides a house, car, clothes, food, etc....I do "WANT" other things that money brings, yes

DukeDelonte13
02-26-2014, 12:57 PM
This is only true if your older than like 30 I think.

Girls my age (20's) are banging the people who are considered socially popular and whatever.

And of course, if you're in college, none of your classmates have money anyway so that is thrown out the window.

very true. Once you get out of college things change very drastically :oldlol:

Akrazotile
02-26-2014, 12:59 PM
very true. Once you get out of college things change very drastically :oldlol:

Yep, and college is historically a pretty recent phenomenon. Throughout most human history, guys in their 20s would already be well into their careers.

You may find a wife when you're young and before money is much of a consideration for her, but if you want to keep her happy - or have other options - you're gonna need dat bread

Akrazotile
02-26-2014, 01:36 PM
A lot of extra money can be traded into legacy; charities, donations and such under their names.

But for us poorer people, extra money can be traded for brief entertainment.

Or saved.

Entertainment really isn't that expensive. Invest in a musical instrument and you can entertain yourself for hours at a time for years. Books can be borrowed from the library. Hiking trails are free. A lot of cities have free summer concerts and plays.

If you're spending money every week on cigarettes and movie tickets, and then cryin broke, well....

You'll def get a lot of sympathy from Democrats.

Levity
02-26-2014, 01:38 PM
weed aiint free, bro.

DonD13
02-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Being brainwashed by society and culture into thinking 'lavish = good' isn't a good thing.

You don't need to pay 1000 dollars for some fancy meal when you can make an equivalent dish yourself for 100.

You don't need a mansion, you just need enough space to live.

You don't need a Lambo, you can be fine with a Toyota.

Your life isn't better with those crazy things, outside of the fact you can brag about them and 'feel accomplished'.

Like the other poster said, "If you have a house and a car you're doing better than 95% of the world." We don't need everything we have. Greed and excess are bad things. I could get rid of 95% of my possessions and not be any worse off.

but you don't get rid of it because...?

I can help you out bro:
IBAN CH6309000000250097798

rezznor
02-26-2014, 05:21 PM
you must not like to travel or experience new things

MightyWhitey
02-26-2014, 06:05 PM

I can appreciate a topic like this. Thank you for starting it. The building of wealth is a personal choice of mine. I don't feel "snobbish" nor am I trying to keep up with the Joneses. It certainly has more to do with family legacy for me now than anything. My parents handed me down their wealth and guidance and so I shall do the same and etc. Security is essential to living a life with less stress.

MightyWhitey
02-26-2014, 06:17 PM

Real millionaires are like this. A good book I read, "The Millionaire Next Door", a few years ago showcased a bunch of millionaires and they were under the radar. They owned, operated, or worked in boring jobs like Dry Cleaners, Laundromats, and Chain Link fence stores and lived below their means comfortably. A key factor in that book stressed three things about the average millionaire. They don't believe in car payments or buying brand new cars. They don't believe in credit card debt or debt in general. And they don't believe in living life without a written budget. Simple really. Unfortunately about 75% of American's still haven't figured this out.

-p.tiddy-
02-26-2014, 06:38 PM
yeah the majority of millionaires do penny pinch and live in modest homes, there are millionaires in most middle class neighborhoods...that doesn't mean anything though. Also a million dollars isn't what it used to be.

I have this debate with my wife every now and then...neither of us are religious but she believes that owning something like a Lambo or over-sized home is a "sin" regardless of what you make or how much you give back through charity work. I disagree with her on that. Although I do think that owning over priced luxury items WITHOUT giving back in some way is a "sin" (so to speak).

IMO part of life should be helping others...and another part of life should be ENJOYING LIFE. It is ideal to find a good balance between the two as far as money is concerned. If you are only doing one of those things then you either need to step back and enjoy yourself more or step up and give back more.

Bill Gates has given away over $26 billion to charity...IMO the man should be allowed to live in an over sized house and drive over priced cars (if he wants) without being looked down on

Rake2204
02-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Real millionaires are like this. A good book I read, "The Millionaire Next Door", a few years ago showcased a bunch of millionaires and they were under the radar. They owned, operated, or worked in boring jobs like Dry Cleaners, Laundromats, and Chain Link fence stores and lived below their means comfortably. A key factor in that book stressed three things about the average millionaire. They don't believe in car payments or buying brand new cars. They don't believe in credit card debt or debt in general. And they don't believe in living life without a written budget. Simple really. Unfortunately about 75% of American's still haven't figured this out.Easy for me to say from here, but my "if I were a millionaire" plan has always been to live modestly, comfortably; like in the house I would have bought under my normal working means anyhow, but just with much less stress about whether I'd always be able to make the payments.

In reference to the original post though, I find this to be an interesting topic. I am not sure I agree with the "snobbish" aspects and whatnot, but the idea of what we all need versus what we want has surely been something on my mind over the past few years.

Sometimes I think about the average American man in, say, 1963. And I think about products he wanted or needed to be happy: house, car, television, books. But there seems to be a sliding scale of products "needed" as time moves forward. A television from 1963, though it satisfied millions back then, would do nothing for us today. Instead, it seems a lot of us (myself included) always feel pushed to get whatever the newest or best product may be.

I understand, it's extreme example, but I admit I sometimes feel a little more inadequate about not owning a 50'' flatscreen HDTV than I probably should. Sometimes I imagine though, even with my cell phone being non-smart (I can access Facebook but that's about it), how blown away and satisfied with my little piece of technology would people be if I owned it in 1988? And yet now, there's hints of stigmatization because I don't own an iphone.

Altogether, I see the other side of things as well. As better things are invented and released, why wouldn't we all want to experience them? But it does seem we sometimes mistake that wanting urge for necessity.

-p.tiddy-
02-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Easy for me to say from here, but my "if I were a millionaire" plan has always been to live modestly, comfortably; like in the house I would have bought under my normal working means anyhow, but just with much less stress about whether I'd always be able to make the payments.

In reference to the original post though, I find this to be an interesting topic. I am not sure I agree with the "snobbish" aspects and whatnot, but the idea of what we all need versus what we want has surely been something on my mind over the past few years.

Sometimes I think about the average American man in, say, 1963. And I think about products he wanted or needed to be happy: house, car, television, books. But there seems to be a sliding scale of products "needed" as time moves forward. A television from 1963, though it satisfied millions back then, would do nothing for us today. Instead, it seems a lot of us (myself included) always feel pushed to get whatever the newest or best product may be.

I understand, it's extreme example, but I admit I sometimes feel a little more inadequate about not owning a 50'' flatscreen HDTV than I probably should. Sometimes I imagine though, even with my cell phone being non-smart (I can access Facebook but that's about it), how blown away and satisfied with my little piece of technology would people be if I owned it in 1988? And yet now, there's hints of stigmatization because I don't own an iphone.

Altogether, I see the other side of things as well. As better things are invented and released, why wouldn't we all want to experience them? But it does seem we sometimes mistake that wanting urge for necessity.
cell phones and internet connection are essential to make a living today for most people...unlike 1988

for many those particular things have now become a legit "need"

flat screen TVs are another story though

Rake2204
02-26-2014, 07:12 PM
cell phones and internet connection are essential to make a living today for most people...unlike 1988

for many those particular things have now become a legit "need"

flat screen TVs are another story thoughTrue enough. Perhaps I could have been a little clearer in that regard. Similar to the HDTV example, I'm not sure I was trying to suggest we didn't need a cell phone, but just that even then, it seems we're constantly pushed (or we perceive ourselves as being pushed) to want a better type of cell phone, or car, or gaming system, or television. Again though, I think I understand that logic too - new better things are neat, even if the less new still does the job.

I catch flak from my older brother from time to time. He's not a big fan of my driving a used '99 Taurus, not having cable, and still owning a standard TV. He says I'm earning money to spend money, and that I can't take my cash to the grave. But I feel if there's some cases where I can be satisfied with something and thus save money by not buying better "just because" then I'll take advantage of that.

Akrazotile
02-26-2014, 07:28 PM
True enough. Perhaps I could have been a little clearer in that regard. Similar to the HDTV example, I'm not sure I was trying to suggest we didn't need a cell phone, but just that even then, it seems we're constantly pushed (or we perceive ourselves as being pushed) to want a better type of cell phone, or car, or gaming system, or television. Again though, I think I understand that logic too - new better things are neat, even if the less new still does the job.

I catch flak from my older brother from time to time. He's not a big fan of my driving a used '99 Taurus, not having cable, and still owning a standard TV. He says I'm earning money to spend money, and that I can't take my cash to the grave. But I feel if there's some cases where I can be satisfied with something and thus save money by not buying better "just because" then I'll take advantage of that.

Hey man, as long as youre doin two things, you shouldnt have to worry:

Saving money.
Spending your free time the way you want to.

Never worry bout how new or impressive your possessions are (as long as they are functional enough for your own purposes). If youre saving some money and youre enjoying whatever free time you have, the rest is all immaterial. Certainly it is easier to enjoy leisure with a certain amount of disposable income and so inevitably you'll need to spend some coin on that. But keep in mind you can balance that with plenty of free activities too, and just make sure the disposable income you do spend is used for things that will content you, not impress others.

As you said, this is somethin people in America have def lost some sight of.

Nothin wrong with spendin money if you have it. Just make sure the reasons youre spending it are important to you and not just to "fill a void" so to speak.

MightyWhitey
02-26-2014, 07:39 PM
True enough. Perhaps I could have been a little clearer in that regard. Similar to the HDTV example, I'm not sure I was trying to suggest we didn't need a cell phone, but just that even then, it seems we're constantly pushed (or we perceive ourselves as being pushed) to want a better type of cell phone, or car, or gaming system, or television. Again though, I think I understand that logic too - new better things are neat, even if the less new still does the job.

I respect your financial lifestyle. I wish I could get rid of my cable and just live off of Netflix. But the wife would bury me next to the family dog out back :lol . I invest much of my earnings into the market via ETF's and individual stocks. I enjoy playing the market. It really has boosted my overall wealth and retirement accounts.

Josh
02-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Question almost sounds like you're about to begin your quest on Oregon Trail.

Rake2204
02-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Hey man, as long as youre doin two things, you shouldnt have to worry:

Saving money.
Spending your free time the way you want to.

Never worry bout how new or impressive your possessions are (as long as they are functional enough for your own purposes). If youre saving some money and youre enjoying whatever free time you have, the rest is all immaterial. Certainly it is easier to enjoy leisure with a certain amount of disposable income and so inevitably you'll need to spend some coin on that. But keep in mind you can balance that with plenty of free activities too, and just make sure the disposable income you do spend is used for things that will content you, not impress others.

As you said, this is somethin people in America have def lost some sight of.

Nothin wrong with spendin money if you have it. Just make sure the reasons youre spending it are important to you and not just to "fill a void" so to speak.Good stuff here. True words all around.

I respect your financial lifestyle. I wish I could get rid of my cable and just live off of Netflix. But the wife would bury me next to the family dog out back :lol . I invest much of my earnings into the market via ETF's and individual stocks. I enjoy playing the market. It really has boosted my overall wealth and retirement accounts.Ha, yeah, cable was a tough cut. I'd been watching Sportscenter over breakfast since 3rd grade. It took a few months to get used to but after that initial phase I do not seem to miss it (not to mention it seems Sportscenter went south in the last few years anyway). I probably watch more local newscasts now than I probably should though. Sometimes I catch myself thinking, "Shoot, it's 10:57, channel 3 starts in a minute", like it's 1981 or something. It's scary.

Bandito
02-26-2014, 08:32 PM
How are you gonna get bishes if you don't have extra catch to get those bishes?

JEFFERSON MONEY
02-26-2014, 10:55 PM
How are you gonna get bishes if you don't have extra catch to get those bishes?

by becoming a starving artist or a thug taht complaisn about white men duhhhhh

u r purdy much guaranteed a fresh crop of hipstah strange if u know how to act these personas

Flash31
02-27-2014, 01:17 AM
To say something like
chasing wealth is chasing snobbism is beyond ignorant to the extreme.

Everybody could live under rationed meals,public housing,government forced jobs and all

but people chase what makes them happy.
We have the right to pursue our happiness and fulfillment.
What somebody does with THEIR MONEY and how they spend it is their problem
not our concern over a self-entitlement of what everybody SHOULD BE.

Not everybody wants a suburban lifestyle.Not everybody wants a middle class,go to work,back at meager house,back to work,retire,die and just enjoying the little things bc "that's all you need" and then start the cycle all over again lifestyle.

Chasing wealth isn't chasing snobbism at all.
You're basically hating on someone for being rich and having nicer things and lifestyle than you otherwise if you're happy with your lifestyle then what's the point?

I don't know about others but a simply put mediocre,average lifestyle where you can only enjoy the little things would drive me insane and crazy.

Money runs the world and you may be happy with your options but others aren't.

Others don't want to run the same lifestyle and run the same cycle.
What exactly are you living for then?What's the point?

Others want to travel,go around the world,enjoy places,buy anything they want,go absolutely anywhere and have the FREEDOM to do things rather than being bogged down and trapped by bills,a perpetual cycle,a life of limited options and work.

Having money gives you options in LIFE.You can live a meager lifestyle if you so choose or you can live an extravagant lifestyle doing whatever pleases you.

If you are living just for the sake of living,and NOT trying to pursue what makes you happy,what fulfills you,then what is the point?

Rake2204
02-27-2014, 11:39 AM
I don't know about others but a simply put mediocre,average lifestyle where you can only enjoy the little things would drive me insane and crazy.I agree with much of what you said. I do not believe it'd be wise to label anyone looking to earn a lot of money as automatically being snobbish. And I think you're correct, people have the right to chase what they want, how they want. We all could get by and survive on way, way less. But we have the choice to pursue better than the minimum, and that's normal and more than acceptable. So I'm with you on that front.

However, I also wouldn't be so quick to suggest not chasing a lot of money shall lead to a mediocre, average lifestyle where one can only enjoy the little things. Though, perhaps you were saying only that you would feel mediocre and average in such a situation.

Also, when you say people chase what makes them happy, I am not so sure I completely agree. I believe it may be more accurate to say people chase what they think may make them happy, when ultimately, many things they chase may offer just a fleeting feeling of achievement or true happiness (if any at all).

And when you ask, "What exactly are you living for then?What's the point?", it almost seemed to suggest that striving for money is what folks should be living for. And surely, someone earning a ton of cash can be unique in comparison to the standard suburban lifestyle, but I believe many would say the meaning to life (or many of the meanings of life) can go well beyond anything cash may be able to buy. Yes, it's cliche, corny, and cheesy, but I believe it holds true.

All told, I don't mean to give the impression that I find no worth in material possession. After all, I am typing from a nice laptop computer, and I'd like to upgrade from my '99 Taurus at some point (a piece of it fell off during our rough winter here). I'm just not sure I'd say chasing wealth and not chasing wealth is the difference between living a life of mediocrity and not.