PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people on ISH laugh at the notion of Curry being better than Paul?

Heavincent
02-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Curry: 24/9/4 on 46% shooting (42% from 3 on 8 attempts per game :eek:)

Paul: 19/11/5 on 46% shooting

Paul is a better passer and defender, but Curry is a more dangerous scorer while also being an elite passer and playmaker. But what I don't understand is why some people here on ISH don't even think it's debatable. Why the hell not? :confusedshrug:

moe94
02-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Scoring PG who can dish < passing PG who can score

also, dat Curry D

JohnFreeman
02-26-2014, 09:09 PM
CP3 is better then Curry. If you swap Curry and CP3, how far do their teams go?

scm5
02-26-2014, 09:12 PM

Quite honestly, I agree with you about CP3>Curry but the Clippers were doing pretty well without CP3.

Lamar Odumbb
02-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Curry is Nick Van Exel

CP3 is John Stockton

russwest0
02-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Comparing CP3 to John Stockton... :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

People aren't this stupid are they?

Heavincent
02-26-2014, 09:22 PM
Scoring PG who can dish < passing PG who can score

Curry is elite in both facets though.

Twiens
02-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Because of CP3's playoff success......nevermind :oldlol:

JohnFreeman
02-26-2014, 09:23 PM

They are unfortunately, I heard Magic comparisons as well :facepalm

Heavincent
02-26-2014, 09:24 PM

Curry led his team to the second round and took the Spurs to 6 games without David Lee :confusedshrug: CP3 never got any further than that.

Lamar Odumbb
02-26-2014, 09:24 PM

its an analogy. im using players to show the difference between curry and cp3 intangibles

BigMacAttack
02-26-2014, 09:37 PM
I like Curry more, not sure if he is better but if I had to draft one of them im probably going with Curry.

smoovegittar
02-26-2014, 09:48 PM
I think Curry is VERY quickly overcoming CP3 as a player. It's fun to watch this kid.

BigMacAttack
02-26-2014, 09:53 PM
I think Curry is VERY quickly overcoming CP3 as a player. It's fun to watch this kid.

He is such a weapon with his range and on top of that can play as a spot up shooter or create for himself and others, sick handles, good vision and passing, seemingly unselfish, good leadership and maturity....cant ask for much more in a point other then some D.

Bob Dole
02-26-2014, 09:54 PM

You do know that Kevin Johnson, Tim hardaway penny hardaway and other guards were making all nba teams over John Stockton in the 90s right?

Do you think that there is no chance that cp3 is better than them? Exactly.

Stockton was a great player for a long time but in many different seasons other point guards were better and I don't think there is even one season where Stockton was the consensus best point guard. Longevity is important but I often think people over time confuse someone being good for longer with them being an actual better player.

I'll let you think what you want, you probably barely know what these guys even play like.

Smook A.
02-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Curry needs defense tho

Graviton
02-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Why are people acting like Paul is some amazing defender? He plays passing lanes well and has good team defense. But he is too short and slow to guard most elite guards and often gets blown by easily, and resorts to fouls and flops. Curry's scoring impact>Paul's defensive impact.

Just wait for the playoffs and we will see who is better when defenses tighten up.

Bigsmoke
02-26-2014, 10:03 PM
Curry led his team to the second round and took the Spurs to 6 games without David Lee :confusedshrug: CP3 never got any further than that.

Yes he did.

In 2008.

CP3 is the best passer in the NBA while averaging 19ppg and ISH posters thinks he offensively challenged.

KOBE143
02-26-2014, 10:08 PM
Curry is not just the better player, he's also cuter and more delicious..

But Kobe is cuter and tastier than both tho and its not even close..

bdreason
02-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Paul is a better ballhandler, better passer, and better defender. It isn't a huge gap, but to me, CP3 is clearly the superior PG.

moe94
02-26-2014, 10:11 PM
CP3 is the best passer in the NBA while averaging 19ppg and ISH posters thinks he offensively challenged.

I bet they think current Curry > 08-09 Paul.

notatop29pg
02-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Because its a laughable suggestion?

BigMacAttack
02-26-2014, 10:14 PM
I bet they think current Curry > 08-09 Paul.

We are talking right now.

Who thinks thinks that? And who has said paul is offensively challenged?

People invent opinions to argue with on here.

moe94
02-26-2014, 10:18 PM
People invent opinions to argue with on here.

We building them while you're grasping at them. :coleman:

YouGotServed
02-26-2014, 10:22 PM
Because Paul doesn't get shut down by below average point guards like Patrick Beverley.

Bigsmoke
02-26-2014, 10:26 PM
Because Paul doesn't get shut down by below average point guards like Patrick Beverley.

Curry went HAM on yall:biggums:

YouGotServed
02-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Curry went HAM on yall:biggums:

No.

BigMacAttack
02-26-2014, 10:40 PM
We building them while you're grasping at them. :coleman:

Not sure if I get that brah but you rarely actually give an opinion here.

mugiwara
02-27-2014, 06:02 AM
Kirk crushed curry today.

sportjames23
02-27-2014, 06:21 AM
Curry is not just the better player, he's also cuter and more delicious..

But Kobe is cuter and tastier than both tho and its not even close..

:biggums:

Al Thornton
02-27-2014, 06:24 AM
compare their assists and turnovers

qrich
02-27-2014, 07:41 AM
Is OP serious? Let us post full statistics, okay bud.

Curry: 23.8 | 4.6 | 8.8 With 1.7 Steals/3.9 Turnovers on 46.0/41.6/86.7 shooting in 37.4 minutes while taking 17.9 shots per game. Has an Assist-TO ratio of 2.26 and a Steal-TO ratio of 0.44.

Paul: 18.8 | 4.6 | 11.1 with 2.4 Steals/2.4 Turnovers on 46.0/34.6/86.4 shooting in 34.7 minutes while taking 13.9 shots per game. 4.63 Assist-TO ratio. Even o Steal-TO ratio.

Paul dishes out more dimes, has an insane ast/to ratio, and scores a whopping 5 less points per game, despite taking 4 less shots and playing 2.7 less minutes.

I don't know OP, if you think a point that scores 5 more points per night on 1.25 points per shot in that differential, but has noticeably less assists/steals and more turnovers, while playing vastly inferior defense, it is your decision.

iznogood
02-27-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm not trying to make a case about any of them being better, but I'd say many point guards, including Curry, could dish the number of assists Chris Paul does with Jordan and Griffin on their team.

qrich
02-27-2014, 09:48 AM
I'm not trying to make a case about any of them being better, but I'd say many point guards, including Curry, could dish the number of assists Chris Paul does with Jordan and Griffin on their team.

I love this so much. A lot of the same people who say Jordan is a scrub, are the same people who say he makes life so much easier for CP3. Love it.

But hey, if Paul had the option/need of chucking 4 more shots per outing, he'd score 5+ points with ease. Goes both ways. And it isn't like Curry has no options to pass too with Iggy, Lee, Klay, etc.

ImKobe
02-27-2014, 09:54 AM
You do know that Kevin Johnson, Tim hardaway penny hardaway and other guards were making all nba teams over John Stockton in the 90s right?

Do you think that there is no chance that cp3 is better than them? Exactly.

Stockton was a great player for a long time but in many different seasons other point guards were better and I don't think there is even one season where Stockton was the consensus best point guard. Longevity is important but I often think people over time confuse someone being good for longer with them being an actual better player.

I'll let you think what you want, you probably barely know what these guys even play like.

You do know Stock led the league in APG for 9 straight seasons and had 8 straight seasons of 12+ apg?

iznogood
02-27-2014, 09:59 AM
I love this so much. A lot of the same people who say Jordan is a scrub, are the same people who say he makes life so much easier for CP3. Love it.

But hey, if Paul had the option/need of chucking 4 more shots per outing, he'd score 5+ points with ease. Goes both ways. And it isn't like Curry has no options to pass too with Iggy, Lee, Klay, etc.
I never called Jordan a scrub. But his athleticism and the way Clippers play and run the floor amount for a lot of easy baskets which he can finish with a high percentage. Especially when another player who can catch high lobs is on the floor at the same time. Players who you mentioned as Curry's options can score well, but don't get the easy buckets Jordan and Griffin get.
And I agree with you, Paul could easily score 5+ points by taking 4 more shots.

Bigsmoke
02-27-2014, 10:12 AM

U can say the same with Lee and Bogut and being are to dictate an offense with a slasher like Iggy and shooter like Klay.

If having athletic dunking bigs inflate CP3 assists count then Brandon Jennings should be averaging around the same amount

iznogood
02-27-2014, 10:24 AM
The level of athleticism is not even close with Lee and Bogut. I love Bogut and I'd take him on my team instead of DeAndre Jordan any day, but neither him or Lee get the easy buckets Jordan and Griffin do from running the break or catching a lob. I can't comment on Brandon Jennings since I don't watch Detroit games at all and I'm not saying two athletic bigs are all that it takes. What matters is the way team plays and keeps spacing on he floor. Other teammates as well - none of the athletic bigs matter, if the defense can leave the 2 remaining perimeter players alone and clog the paint.

SHAQisGOAT
02-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Paul's a flopping sob but he's the better player.

qrich
02-27-2014, 10:47 AM
I never called Jordan a scrub. But his athleticism and the way Clippers play and run the floor amount for a lot of easy baskets which he can finish with a high percentage. Especially when another player who can catch high lobs is on the floor at the same time. Players who you mentioned as Curry's options can score well, but don't get the easy buckets Jordan and Griffin get.
And I agree with you, Paul could easily score 5+ points by taking 4 more shots.

Didn't say you, said a lot of the same, because a lot of people do go that way. One can easily argue and say if Jordan wasn't hacked intentionally on close attempts, Paul would have another 2 dimes a game as well.

Paul also doesn't have a knockdown shooter like Klay either. You can say Crawford, but Craw creates his own shots, doesn't catch and shoot very often.

salwan
02-27-2014, 10:50 AM
curry is a minus defender and teams are specifically targeting him

iznogood
02-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Didn't say you, said a lot of the same, because a lot of people do go that way. One can easily argue and say if Jordan wasn't hacked intentionally on close attempts, Paul would have another 2 dimes a game as well.

Paul also doesn't have a knockdown shooter like Klay either. You can say Crawford, but Craw creates his own shots, doesn't catch and shoot very often.
It's not like Chris Paul is not getting assists on that type of buckets as well. I'm sure he does, especially at home. All "passing" PGs do.

Young X
02-27-2014, 06:33 PM
If you really want to talk stats:

Paul: 26.6 PER - 124 ORTG - 4.7 AST/TO
Curry: 23.3 PER - 115 ORTG - 2.2 AST/TO

^ The offensive efficiency isn't even close, and Paul's a better rebounder & defender.