PDA

View Full Version : Why do people just assume that replacing westbrook with Rondo will work better?...

I.R.Beast
02-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Please explain how this possibly improves the team.

aboss4real24
02-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Rondo is the best Pure pg in the nba

Like kidd was in his prime.

actually hes jus like jkidd in his prime

he's jus lookn to get the whole team involved not score
much

and in the 4th Q , HE'LL Get KD THe ball and gtfo the way unlike westbrook who will take a contested 3 from 30 feet back with two guys n his face

rondo is also a better defender imo

I.R.Beast
02-27-2014, 01:18 PM

much

and in the 4th Q , HE'LL Get KD THe ball and gtfo the way unlike westbrook who will take a contested 3 from 30 feet back with two guys n his face

Better defender?...no....So the thunder will be better because he'll give durant a heavier offensive load to carry?...interesting...this is why you aren't a GM....

KyrieTheFuture
02-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Bitch did you just say that Rondo isn't a better defender than WB?

ZenMaster
02-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Better defender?...no....So the thunder will be better because he'll give duranat a heavier offensively load to carry?...interesting...this is why you aren't a GM....

You talk as if there are only two players on each team, got to applaud the marketing.

SilkkTheShocker
02-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Rondo gets overrated when people make him out to be the kind of defender Kidd was. The truth is, most point guards in the league suck balls at defense. Just because Rondo plays it more consistently than others, doesn't mean is a stud in that department either. He gets steals and all. But he isn't guarding the opposing team's best player, while also running how own team's offense.

SilkkTheShocker
02-27-2014, 01:25 PM

Both are overrated in that department. WB has all the physical tools to be a shutdown defender. But he lacks the concentration aspect. Rondo gets a bunch of steals.

ballup
02-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Rondo would compliment Durant more than Westbrook, but then the Thunder lose out on thier 2nd offnsive option, which they can't afford to lose in the long run. If the Thunder had a big man who is a force on the offensive end, then Westbrook wouldn't be as valuable.

rhowen4
02-27-2014, 01:29 PM
I think it's close to call on paper, which is why I wouldn't do it. Don't mess with something you know works, unless it's Curry or CP3 for WB. That kind of synergy would be too good to pass up.

Mass Debator
02-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Rondo gets overrated when people make him out to be the kind of defender Kidd was. The truth is, most point guards in the league suck balls at defense. Just because Rondo plays it more consistently than others, doesn't mean is a stud in that department either. He gets steals and all. But he isn't guarding the opposing team's best player, while also running how own team's offense.
Rondo can guard his own position better than almost any point active today.

dannywpt
02-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Another player that absolutely can't shoot the ball, exactly what OKC need :rolleyes:

ballup
02-27-2014, 01:35 PM
He's the point, there would be no sense in matching him up against bigger players.

Thorpesaurous
02-27-2014, 01:36 PM
I've long believed in the Rondo for Westbrook being a fit for both teams. And I'm not positive that the Harden trade wasn't in some part devised to force Durant to exert himself more. Rondo has a way of exerting himself on a team without displacing a guy like Durant. And Westbrook is really wired to be a lead guy. And there's a little money to be saved to throw in another direction. And if you could get a pick out of Boston for it too. It's more than a player for player comparison in a vaccum.

However, I don't think it's nearly the slam dunk people make it out to be, as Rondo's presence could create some spacing issues.

If I were The Thunder I wouldn't do it. But it is a really close call. And a little would depend on the marching orders handed out by ownership.

ProfessorMurder
02-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Another player that absolutely can't shoot the ball, exactly what OKC need :rolleyes:

He's nearly shooting 50/40/90 and averaging a career high in points in the last 8 games (only played 14 this year). Watch him f*cking play at least.

Rose'sACL
02-27-2014, 01:42 PM
without another star player along with durant, rondo will do way worse than westbrook.
It has been only a few games. if okc fails in playoffs, then this thread would make sense. i would take westbrook over rondo 8 out of 10 times. the 2 times i would take rondo over westbrook is if the team has at least 2 star shotmakers in the team.

ProfessorMurder
02-27-2014, 01:47 PM
without another star player along with durant, rondo will do way worse than westbrook.
It has been only a few games. if okc fails in playoffs, then this thread would make sense. i would take westbrook over rondo 8 out of 10 times. the 2 times i would take rondo over westbrook is if the team has at least 2 star shotmakers in the team.

Uh-huh, because his stats have been so much worse with Jeff Green and Brandon Bass as his teammates. :rolleyes: Keep clinging to that bullshit argument.

Mass Debator
02-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Rondo can knock down that midrange jumper, and it's not like Westbrook is good from 3. He'll make everyone feel involved and play above average solid team and man defense. He brings the a similar tenacity and fire that Westbrook brings, but he'll be willing to defer to KD. Rondo can score when he wants to so 16ppg isn't even out of the picture. He'd do wonders for someone like Ibaka. Plus, Perkins love him. ;) The only concerning factor I have is if Rondo can keep up with his pretty good free throw shooting thus far.

If I can get Rondo and Humphries/pick for Westbrook, I'd do it.

Rose'sACL
02-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Uh-huh, because his stats have been so much worse with Jeff Green and Brandon Bass as his teammates. :rolleyes: Keep clinging to that bullshit argument.
i am not talking about stats. i am talking about winning it all. if okc had a someone who could play in the post and give 17/10 along with durant and ibaka who is good from mid range then i would take rondo over westbrook but right now i wouldn't.
I could still work i i like working with things that i know work instead of going with things that might work unless the rewards are way way beteer .

I.R.Beast
02-27-2014, 01:56 PM
I'm a celtic fan...all this talk of Rondo's defensive prowess is so comical to me.. He's a gambler...he doesnt stop anyone..westbrook is easily a more tenacious perimeter defender than ROndo...Rondo's defense hasnt been anything special since the year we won(when his role was to do nothing but defend).

LeGOAT
02-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Rondo has a terrible personality, can't shoot, and would keep the ball out of Durant's hands more than Westbrook does

ProfessorMurder
02-27-2014, 02:03 PM
i am not talking about stats. i am talking about winning it all. if okc had a someone who could play in the post and give 17/10 along with durant and ibaka who is good from mid range then i would take rondo over westbrook but right now i wouldn't.
I could still work i i like working with things that i know work instead of going with things that might work unless the rewards are way way beteer .

If you put Rondo on a team with Durant/Ibaka they'd be great. He's won a championship and always plays better in the playoffs.

Westbrook is far more selfish. Rondo would have no problem with Durant taking a final shot, or taking 5 shots in a row.

ProfessorMurder
02-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Rondo has a terrible personality, can't shoot, and would keep the ball out of Durant's hands more than Westbrook does

No he doesn't, he can shoot, and he creates for his team better than Westbrook.

Great job.

Fire Colangelo
02-27-2014, 02:06 PM

wtf

I would take Rondo in the playoffs over Westbrook anyway of the week.

FireDavidKahn
02-27-2014, 02:08 PM

much

There's this guy named Chris Paul.:oldlol:

I.R.Beast
02-27-2014, 02:17 PM
No he doesn't, he can shoot, and he creates for his team better than Westbrook.

Great job.
Shut up, since when can rondo shoot?...

salwan
02-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Rondo seems to have a higher bball IQ, so he would make smarter decisions with the ball down the stretch. If the defense sags off him, he shoots the midrange J at an efficient rate. kirk goldsberry wrote that he ranked 4th in fg% around the elbows under 141 players who attempted at least 100 shots from there. So although he's not a great shooter he only takes smart shots. Westbrook on the other hand is a great scorer, but he shoots rather inefficient and these possessions could be turned into Durant shots. Rondo is a pick-and-roll demigod.

Still, I'm not sure I would pull off this trade from an OKC standpoint, because Westbrook is younger and still has potential to grow in his decision making and playmaking. Plus his age meshes better with the other youngsters on the team. ( I hope his knee issues are behind him. I'm worried.)

Plus, although a Rondo-Ibaka pick-and-pop would be cool and Rondo could create better looks for lamb, sefolosha, Jackson and co., just watch them losing their shooting hand when playoff time comes. I don't trust them young guns. Westbrook can create his own shot at will.

salwan
02-27-2014, 02:28 PM
to conclude my post, I think with Rondo OKC would have a better chance of winning a championship in the next 2-3years, even more if they added a reliable veteran shooter or two to the team.

with westbrook, their championship window is larger.

BlackWhiteGreen
02-27-2014, 02:32 PM
I'm a celtic fan...all this talk of Rondo's defensive prowess is so comical to me.. He's a gambler...he doesnt stop anyone..westbrook is easily a more tenacious perimeter defender than ROndo...Rondo's defense hasnt been anything special since the year we won(when his role was to do nothing but defend).

AND HERE IT IS!

90% of your threads are Rondo-bashing or similar, you're never in GTs, that's a bare faced lie and you know it.

It's almost impossible to be a defensive stopper at the point, Rondo gambles but the rules dictate you can't stay in front of a point guard for a whole possesssion in today's NBA whoever you are (Avery Bradley probably gets the closest).

I don't think Rondo for WB would ever be on the table, and with the two so similar in value I don't think it would happen either way.

Twiens
02-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Rondo's the best playoff PG in the league. Someone explain this "bad attitude" talk, what has he done?

BlackWhiteGreen
02-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Shut up, since when can rondo shoot?...

16-23ft: .485
3pt: .342

16-23ft: .396
3pt: .314

Which is Rondo, and which is Westbrook?

Mass Debator
02-27-2014, 02:42 PM
AND HERE IT IS!

90% of your threads are Rondo-bashing or similar, you're never in GTs, that's a bare faced lie and you know it.

It's almost impossible to be a defensive stopper at the point, Rondo gambles but the rules dictate you can't stay in front of a point guard for a whole possesssion in today's NBA whoever you are (Avery Bradley probably gets the closest).

I don't think Rondo for WB would ever be on the table, and with the two so similar in value I don't think it would happen either way.
So much truth in this.

I.R.Beast
02-27-2014, 02:55 PM
AND HERE IT IS!

Shut the f**k up...you dont get to tell me who my team is. I dont post in here all too often, and when I do it's on this general board on topics...never in ANY game thread.. I do most of my sports posting on Facebook in a sports group. I've never been a fan of Rondo, him being on my team doesn't mean i have to be a fan of his...Just because you have a celtics avatar doesnt make you anymore of a fan... Fallback...my fanhood doesn't make me blind like a lot of celtic fans out there that think ROndo is some God...He is/was always made by the big 3 and has been exposed.

russwest0
02-27-2014, 03:07 PM

He isn't.

Who would be OKC's second scoring option with no Westbrook? Ibaka? Ibaka as the second option isn't winning shit.

Black and White
02-27-2014, 03:56 PM
There is a Celtic fan that is bashing Rondo in this thread??? :biggums:

This is the same dude that lead us to game 7 against the Heat while the big 3 were broken down. Yes they made him who he was but it takes a special kind of person to be able to step up and answer the call.

BlackWhiteGreen
02-27-2014, 04:42 PM
There is a Celtic fan that is bashing Rondo in this thread??? :biggums:

This is the same dude that lead us to game 7 against the Heat while the big 3 were broken down. Yes they made him who he was but it takes a special kind of person to be able to step up and answer the call.

Nah, there isn't. He's not a Celtics fan.

BlackWhiteGreen
02-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Shut the f**k up...you dont get to tell me who my team is. I dont post in here all too often, and when I do it's on this general board on topics...never in ANY game thread.. I do most of my sports posting on Facebook in a sports group. I've never been a fan of Rondo, him being on my team doesn't mean i have to be a fan of his...Just because you have a celtics avatar doesnt make you anymore of a fan... Fallback...my fanhood doesn't make me blind like a lot of celtic fans out there that think ROndo is some God...He is/was always made by the big 3 and has been exposed.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292899
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250326
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285882
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249596
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282162
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9470297&postcount=27

It's basically all you're on the NBA forum for

D-FENS
02-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Rondo can guard his own position better than almost any point active today.

No he can't. You're guessing. Rondo is a slightly above average defender.
The best defenders who mainly play point guard currently in the NBA:
- Kirk Hinrich
- Kyle Lowry
- John Wall
- Kemba Walker

That's the end of the list. And if you want to include non-point guards, you can include Avery Bradley. That's it, that's your list of top level point guard defenders.

Westbrook and Rondo both are around average.

KyrieTheFuture
02-27-2014, 04:58 PM
He isn't.

Who would be OKC's second scoring option with no Westbrook? Ibaka? Ibaka as the second option isn't winning shit.
I'm not surprised you have another uninformed opinion. Rondo makes Westbrook look like Kyrie on Defense.

I.R.Beast
02-27-2014, 04:58 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292899
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250326
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285882
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249596
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282162
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9470297&postcount=27

It's basically all you're on the NBA forum for
Rondo is overrated and I want him gone...so what's your point?...f*** outta here...he's 27 ...wont get any better ...trade him while he still has value.

ProfessorMurder
02-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Never posted in the Celtics forum or game threads, hates on Rondo... Yeah huge Celtic fan.

Black and White
02-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Rondo is overrated and I want him gone...so what's your point?...f*** outta here...he's 27 ...wont get any better ...trade him while he still has value.

You are not a true Celtics fan if you can say stuff like this with a straight face, Rondo bleeds green, he is the essence of what being a Celtic is all about, he has heart, grit, killer instinct and is a complete boss on the court. You don't trade a player like that quickly, you look for the right deal or you keep him and put a team around him that he can work with.

Lebron23
02-27-2014, 05:06 PM
What's up ripthekik?

ballup
02-27-2014, 05:15 PM
I gotta admit, Rondo has gotten lazier on defense. He's no longer the young guy trying to prove that he belongs in the league nor is he bat shit insane like KG. But Rondo does play really good defense when he's challenged or on big games.

D-FENS
02-27-2014, 05:23 PM
You are not a true Celtics fan if you can say stuff like this with a straight face, Rondo bleeds green, he is the essence of what being a Celtic is all about, he has heart, grit, killer instinct and is a complete boss on the court. You don't trade a player like that quickly, you look for the right deal or you keep him and put a team around him that he can work with.

I'd trade him for Marcus Smart and never look back.

Lebron23
02-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Durant needs to re-learn how to play off the ball. Westbrook needs the ball in his hands to be effective. By the way low efficient chucking point/combo guard won't ever win an NBA championship in the modern NBA see Allen Iverson and Stephon Marbury.

Rondo would be a perfect starting point guard for the Bulls who are still winning games without Derrick Rose. They were 19-8 since the start of 2014.

Black and White
02-27-2014, 05:26 PM
I'd trade him for Marcus Smart and never look back.

Meh, one isn't proven on the NBA level yet, would rather keep Rondo, but if we get a high ish pick for him and a young guy then thats a deal.

The Kings deal was perfect.

ballup
02-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Durant needs to re-learn how to play off the ball. Westbrook needs the ball in his hands to be effective. By the way low efficient chucking point/combo guard won't ever win an NBA championship in the modern NBA see Allen Iverson and Stephon Marbury.

Rondo would be a perfect starting point guard for the Bulls who are still winning games without Derrick Rose. They were 19-8 since the start of 2014.
Not really. Thib's offense is even more stale than Doc's. I mean, almost any star point guard would be great for the Bulls to stay in the middle of the pack, but that's not the direction they want to go.

ballup
02-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Meh, one isn't proven on the NBA level yet, would rather keep Rondo, but if we get a high ish pick for him and a young guy then thats a deal.

The Kings deal was perfect.
Except that the salaries didn't match.

Black and White
02-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Except that the salaries didn't match.

And Rondo didnt want to re-sign with the Kings, which is all good, I have no issues either way, but if we look to move him those are the types of deals to look for

ProfessorMurder
02-27-2014, 05:42 PM
I gotta admit, Rondo has gotten lazier on defense. He's no longer the young guy trying to prove that he belongs in the league nor is he bat shit insane like KG. But Rondo does play really good defense when he's challenged or on big games.

Definitely. With Bradley on the team he doesn't have to worry as much, and Rondo got lazier because KG was handling interior defense for so long. Now it looks a little worse because he's coming off the injury and they are horrible defensively (whether the numbers suggest that or not).

imdaman99
02-27-2014, 06:24 PM
I'm not surprised you have another uninformed opinion. Rondo makes Westbrook look like Kyrie on Defense.
Absolutely not. You're basing this on what? :biggums:

D-FENS
02-27-2014, 11:36 PM
John Wall showing he's an elite defensive player tonight

Le Shaqtus
02-28-2014, 12:59 AM
I'd take Rondo over Westbrook in a heart beat.

People who say he can't shoot clearly haven't watched him play the last couple of seasons.

RedBlackAttack
02-28-2014, 01:55 AM
It's a very interesting theoretical conversation thinking about how the Thunder would look if you replaced WB with Rondo. I really like both players' games for different reason. The only real similarities are that they're both ridiculously athletic PGs.

Westbrook is one of the most explosive players in the league. When he gets it going and starts getting into the lane, it puts a ton of pressure on defenses, physically and psychologically. He can break down a half court defense as well as any player in the league when he gets in that frenzied mode.

I'd say their defensive abilities are about equal with a slight edge to Rondo with his humongous, fast hands that create problems in the passing lanes.

The part that really makes Rondo the kind of player that may fit better with KD, aside from the obvious point of him being more likely to set Durant up more often, is his ability to constantly control the pace of the game. That's where the comparisons with Kidd have some validity. Kidd always knew when to push the tempo, when to hang back and when to kick things up a notch.

It would be a great experiment. Thing is, OKC has everything to lose if it doesn't
work, while the Cs can afford to take a risk. I'd also love to see how explosive WB can be in an offense where he is the unquestioned first option.