PDA

View Full Version : Best hypothetical team according to Insidehoops

jongib369
02-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Submit one or two teams that you think could be the best combination of players possible.

Once we have a decent amount of teams we'll go into voting to determine which insidehoops thinks is the best

Rules
1. You can't change the position someone plays. So nothing like "Wilt at C, Shaq at PF, Hakeem at SF, Dirk at SG, LeBron at PG" UNLESS they're known for playing multiple positions.

2. Only list up to the 6th man

3. Don't just throw names together, actually think about who might play well with one another

4. All players are in their "prime" no matter what, but if needed and you prefer a roll they had another year you can say something like "Wilt with the roll he had in 67"

My Submission

C-Wilt-67 role
PF-Malone
SF-Bird
SG-West
PG -Robertson
6th-LeBron

Great rebounding, everyone can score with volume and efficiency if needed, floor would be spread well and Robertson to Malone would be beautiful. Jordan would normally be my go to for SG, but on this team specifically I think West is the better fit. Chose LeBron for 6th since he's known for being capable of playing any position decently, great plug in off the bench for a tired starter. Great size, physically overwhelming team

RoundMoundOfReb
02-27-2014, 10:12 PM
C-Shaq
PF-Bird
SF-James
SG-Jordan
PG -Johnson
6th-Hakeem

Milbuck
02-27-2014, 10:16 PM
PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Michael Jordan
PF - Lebron James
C - Shaquille O'Neal
6th - Tim Duncan

Akrazotile
02-27-2014, 10:19 PM
C - Greg Oden
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SG - Dwayne Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

jongib369
02-27-2014, 10:20 PM
C-Shaq
PF-Bird
SF-James
SG-Jordan
PG -Johnson
6th-Hakeem
Would definitely give mine a run for it's money. The edge for yours being Hakeem at backup, can't deny the all around impact an elite center brings to the table

K Xerxes
02-27-2014, 10:21 PM
All time teams are done so often, jeez.

Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Larry Bird
Hakeem Olajuwon

6th man = LeBron James

fpliii
02-27-2014, 10:22 PM
I tried to create a pretty potent defensive team:

C-Hakeem
PF-Garnett
SF-Pippen
SG-Moncrief
PG-Frazier
6th-Havlicek

Akrazotile
02-27-2014, 10:24 PM
PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Michael Jordan
PF - Lebron James
C - Shaquille O'Neal
6th - Tim Duncan

Would not be practical to have Kobe on your team with no Fisher.

jongib369
02-27-2014, 10:27 PM
All time teams are done so often, jeez.

Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Larry Bird
Hakeem Olajuwon

6th man = LeBron James
True, but I've never really seen one done like this before....It's usually people just positing their opinion and thats the end of it...No voting, no debates that leads to any general consensus of which are specially better than the other. Got the idea from Deuce's top 100.....Would hope it leads to some depth rather then just listing and trolling

Black and White
02-27-2014, 10:28 PM
C Scrub
PF Scrub
SF Scrub
SG Vassilis Spanoulis
PG Scrub
6th Man Scrub

This team destroys all.

jongib369
02-27-2014, 10:33 PM

C-Hakeem
PF-Garnett
SF-Pippen
SG-Moncrief
PG-Frazier
6th-Havlicek

GREAT team, and I love that you used Moncrief. About as surprising/rare as someone using Thurmond at center. Even though their D makes them more than qualified to be mentioned with these other well known top players

Derka
02-27-2014, 10:33 PM
You left Spannoulis off. Don't do it like that.

Edit: B&W got it :lol

Crose
02-27-2014, 10:36 PM
stockton
reggie
bird
dirk
hakeem

kg

Black and White
02-27-2014, 10:37 PM
You left Spannoulis off. Don't do it like that.

Edit: B&W got it :lol

Can't do something like this and leave the best player that ever exsisted off your team

RoundMoundOfReb
02-27-2014, 10:37 PM
Would definitely give mine a run for it's money. The edge for yours being Hakeem at backup, can't deny the all around impact an elite center brings to the table
Definitely although my team might have difficulty guarding quick pgs. I suppose Mj/Lebron could guard quick points.

Boarder Patrol
02-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Nash
Jordan
LeBron
Dirk
Kareem

6th: Garnett

Wanted to create a lot of spacing for Jordan and LeBron, that's why Dirk and Nash are there over some bigger names. Wanted to include Duncan but I like the versatility KG brings.

jongib369
02-27-2014, 10:43 PM
stockton
reggie
bird
dirk
hakeem

kg
Stockton would Average like 8 PPG and 30 APG

:lol

jongib369
02-27-2014, 10:50 PM
Nash
Jordan
LeBron
Dirk
Kareem

6th: Garnett

Wanted to create a lot of spacing for Jordan and LeBron, that's why Dirk and Nash are there over some bigger names. Wanted to include Duncan but I like the versatility KG brings.
I imagine Dirk/Nash having some chemistry A la Malone/Stockton... The spacing is great. And with Dirk going out that is one less big guy for Kareem to "worry" about in the post.

jongib369
02-27-2014, 11:02 PM

C-Hakeem
PF-Garnett
SF-Pippen
SG-Moncrief
PG-Frazier
6th-Havlicek
Another reason I like this team is if there's a mismatch where double teaming is NEEDED you're just screwed leaving "one of the above" open. Few players those guys can't handle

Micku
02-27-2014, 11:44 PM
C-Shaq
PF-Bird
SF-James
SG-Jordan
PG -Johnson
6th-Hakeem

I like this. I think it fits. Bird is versatile, stretch the floor, could post, rebound, great passer, and would complement Shaq. Magic, Jordan, and LBJ fastbreak would be so fun to watch. Jordan would complement Magic play due to his off the ball movement. Magic would runs the offense and pace with LBJ helping him out.

The only issue I see is that LBJ game might take a little hit since he is a bit ball dominant, but Magic should have the ball more often than him since he runs the offense better.

It'll be interesting to establish who is going to be the second and third post guy.

Black Mamba's B
02-27-2014, 11:48 PM
Pg - Magic
SG - Jordan
Sf- Bird
Pf- Dirk
C- Hakeem

6th - Kobe

jongib369
02-27-2014, 11:53 PM
I like this. I think it fits. Bird is versatile, stretch the floor, could post, rebound, great passer, and would complement Shaq. Magic, Jordan, and LBJ fastbreak would be so fun to watch. Jordan would complement Magic play due to his off the ball movement. Magic would runs the offense and pace with LBJ helping him out.

The only issue I see is that LBJ game might take a little hit since he is a bit ball dominant, but Magic should have the ball more often than him since he runs the offense better.

It'll be interesting to establish who is going to be the second and third post guy.
Would this be the team you'd submit?

Also, thoughts on mine?

MrC1991
02-27-2014, 11:58 PM
John Stockton
Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Tim Duncan
Arvydas Sabonis (since everyone is already doing Hakeem or Shaq)

6th - Kevin McHale

jongib369
02-28-2014, 12:00 AM
Pg - Magic
SG - Jordan
Sf- Bird
Pf- Dirk
C- Hakeem

6th - Kobe

http://thewhistle.com/media/uploads/kobe_mamba_awake.jpg

http://bobcatsplanet.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/MJ_mad.jpg

Good team, it'd be interesting to watch Dirk and Bird play together.

Suguru101
02-28-2014, 12:02 AM
Bill Walton - 1978 (pre-injury)
Kevin Garnett - 2005
Kevin Durant - 2014
Ray Allen - 2005
LeBron James -2014

I would not put Shaq on any of my teams. This was a guy who said "if the dog don't get fed, the dog won't guard the house", had an attitude problem and feuded with star teammates because of ego.

Walton is probably the best passing center of all time, an amazing defensive center who might have been the best on that end other than Russell, and he could score 17-19 easily and grap 15-20 rebounds on a normal night.

Garnett can cover so much ground defensively, and he's also great one on one defender. Very good rebounder, very good passer for a PF and can give breathing room to slashers with his mid-range shot.

Durant. Self-explanatory.

Allen. Self-explanatory. Also an underrated defender and cutter in his prime.

LeBron as a point guard has a physical advantage over anybody who has ever played point guard. Very good shooter, post player, slasher and amazing vision and unselfish.

Might not be the best team ever, but it could be one of the greatest.

pauk
02-28-2014, 12:06 AM
C-Shaq
PF-Duncan
SF-LeBron
SG-Jordan
PG -Magic
6th-Bird

jongib369
02-28-2014, 12:14 AM
Submission two

C- Thurmond
PF- Hakeem
SF-LeBron
SG-Jordan
PG-West
6th-Kareem

jongib369
02-28-2014, 12:46 AM
Feed Me Teams

iamgine
02-28-2014, 01:08 AM
PG - Michael Jordan
SG - Wesley Person
SF - Lebron James
PF - Tim Duncan
C - Hakeem Olajuwon

6th - Scottie Pippen

bballnoob1192
02-28-2014, 01:13 AM
Magice
Kobe
Jordane
Duncane
Shaqe

TheMarkMadsen
02-28-2014, 01:18 AM
Fisher
Kobe
Bird
KG
Russell

miller-time
02-28-2014, 01:21 AM
Shaq
Rodman
LeBron
Jordan
Stockton

6th Kobe

Derivative
02-28-2014, 01:21 AM
PG: John Stockton
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Lebron James
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Hakeem
6th: Bird

jongib369
03-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Any last submissions?

jongib369
03-03-2014, 12:08 AM
https://24.media.tumblr.com/4fb301ab72d1cec9a5cea6b01dd4b971/tumblr_mw838nAg8H1rves7ho1_250.gif

crawdaddy4ou
03-03-2014, 12:10 AM
Payton
Jordan
Durant
Malone
Shaq

6th Petrovic

Fire Colangelo
03-03-2014, 12:17 AM
Kareem
Dirk
Pippen
Jordan
Stockton

6th man: Wade.

FKAri
03-03-2014, 12:18 AM
C - Shaq
PF - KG
SF - Durant
SG - Jordan
PG - Jason Kidd

6th - Hakeem

Prometheus
03-03-2014, 12:39 AM
PG - John Stockton
SG - Ray Allen
SF - Larry Bird
PF - Dirk Nowitski
C - Shaquille O'Neal

6 - LeBron James

Shaquille surrounded by four supreme outside shooters. This team would play the triangle offense, and would force the game to be played at the slowest pace imaginable. With Stockton and Bird as the primary ball handlers, this team would have monstrous passing and ball security, which would allow them to maintain the super slow pace. They would feed Shaq inside relentlessly, and double teams would be disastrous with these four shooters. And if the sideline triangle isn't working, having Nowitski at the four would set up a Stockton/Dirk screen and roll out of the pinch post. Can you imagine that? Meanwhile Bird and Nowitski are each able to get their own shot at will in case Shaq is out of rhythm. LeBron is the perfect sixth man, as he is probably the most versatile and well-rounded player to ever step on a court, and could fill in at any position other than center on this team. I cannot fathom a more perfect half court offense than this starting lineup.

Prometheus
03-03-2014, 12:53 AM
PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - LeBron James
PF - Charles Barkley
C - Bill Russell

6 - Kevin Garnett

This team is the exact opposite of my other one... Russell and Barkley would absolutely humiliate the other team on the boards. Defensive rebound, outlet to a Magic/Jordan/LeBron fast break. *tidbit* As far as I know, Barkley is the only player to have outrebounded Dennis Rodman h2h over their careers. I'd appreciate if someone could verify this for me. I've also got the GOAT rim protecting shot blocker in the middle. Blocked shot, outlet to a Magic/Jordan/LeBron fast break. I've also got a smothering wing defense with Jordan and LeBron at the 2 and 3, respectively. The defense would swarm, Jordan and LeBron would infiltrate the passing lanes, and we would force turnovers. Stolen ball, outlet to a Magic/Jordan/LeBron fast break. Garnett is my sixth man because I have doubts about Barkley's commitment to defense. What would be lost in rebounding and scoring would be compensated for with versatility and extra rim protection. Oh and as far as the half court offense (if it would even be needed), I've got three guys who can go off for 40+ on any given night being fed by history's greatest passer.

jongib369
03-03-2014, 01:37 AM
PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - LeBron James
PF - Charles Barkley
C - Bill Russell

6 - Kevin Garnett

This team is the exact opposite of my other one... Russell and Barkley would absolutely humiliate the other team on the boards. Defensive rebound, outlet to a Magic/Jordan/LeBron fast break. *tidbit* As far as I know, Barkley is the only player to have outrebounded Dennis Rodman h2h over their careers. I'd appreciate if someone could verify this for me. I've also got the GOAT rim protecting shot blocker in the middle. Blocked shot, outlet to a Magic/Jordan/LeBron fast break. I've also got a smothering wing defense with Jordan and LeBron at the 2 and 3, respectively. The defense would swarm, Jordan and LeBron would infiltrate the passing lanes, and we would force turnovers. Stolen ball, outlet to a Magic/Jordan/LeBron fast break. Garnett is my sixth man because I have doubts about Barkley's commitment to defense. What would be lost in rebounding and scoring would be compensated for with versatility and extra rim protection. Oh and as far as the half court offense (if it would even be needed), I've got three guys who can go off for 40+ on any given night being fed by history's greatest passer.
My submissions, loved yours and the reasons why you made them. In your opinion how would each of yours fair against mine?

C-Wilt-67 role
PF-Malone
SF-Bird
SG-West
PG -Robertson
6th-LeBron

C- Thurmond
PF- Hakeem
SF-Pippen
SG-Jordan
PG-West
6th-Kareem

Prometheus
03-03-2014, 02:46 AM
My submissions, loved yours and the reasons why you made them. In your opinion how would each of yours fair against mine?

C-Wilt-67 role
PF-Malone
SF-Bird
SG-West
PG -Robertson
6th-LeBron

C- Thurmond
PF- Hakeem
SF-Pippen
SG-Jordan
PG-West
6th-Kareem

Which teams are matching up against each other?

rmt
03-03-2014, 03:00 AM
C-Shaq
PF-Duncan
SF-LeBron
SG-Jordan
PG -Magic
6th-Bird

I'd have Lebron as the 6th man. Since he's so versatile, he could sub in for any of the non-bigs.

ImKobe
03-03-2014, 03:01 AM
Magic
West
Kobe
Worthy
Kareem

LilEddyCurry
03-03-2014, 03:48 AM
Magic
Jordan
James
Bird
O'neal

jongib369
03-03-2014, 08:04 AM
Which teams are matching up against each other?
How each of yours fair with either of mine. So your team A vs my A&B and your team B vs my A&B

Foster5k
03-03-2014, 09:14 AM
PG- Jason Kidd
SG- Michael Jordan
SF- Kevin Durant
PF- Kevin Garnett
C- Shaq

coach: Phil Jackson
assistant coach: Red Auerbach
GM: Pat Riley
Owner: Jerry Buss

This team is sweeping throughout the playoffs and will win 12 NBA titles all back to back.

Prometheus
03-03-2014, 10:07 AM

C-Wilt-67 role
PF-Malone
SF-Bird
SG-West
PG -Robertson
6th-LeBron

C- Thurmond
PF- Hakeem
SF-Pippen
SG-Jordan
PG-West
6th-Kareem

Okay well I'll do AvA:

Shaq - Wilt67
Nowitski - Malone
Bird - Bird
Allen - West
Stockton - Robertson

LeBron LeBron

So this one is a bit :lol ... we've got Bird vs. Bird at the 3, and both have LeBron coming off the bench. :wtf: ... My game plan wouldn't change at all. I'd want my team to play at a grinding, super slow pace. The issue is that you obviously have the only center with a chance of being able to contain Shaq without a double team. I would feed O'Neal early and see how the matchup is fairing. I see two reasons your defense will struggle against my team - Nowitski will stretch Malone out to the perimeter, and I don't think Jerry West could keep up with Ray Allen zipping all over the floor. I still think my team could get open shots, but the Bird/Bird cancellation and the fact that Shaq is guarded by Wilt worries me a little bit. The biggest problem would be the rebounding - Wilt and Malone together would destroy Shaq and Dirk on the boards, so I don't like that. Your team only has two guys that can shoot from outside while mine has four, so I have some concerns about how your half court offense will compare with mine, but I think it's pretty tough to call because you have better shot blocking and rebounding. I still think my team fits together better (though yours probably has more overall talent). I'm picking my guys in 7.

I<3NBA
03-03-2014, 12:15 PM
PG Magic
SG Jordan
SF Bird
PF Lebron
C Wilt

6th man Shaq

hateraid
03-03-2014, 12:58 PM
PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- Lebron James
PF- Kevin Garnett
C- David Robinson

6th- Charles Barkley

I picked this team for the ability to transition. This would be the greatest defense to offense team ever assembled with an ability to modestly stretch the floor in a half court set. Lot's of length and mismatch potential.

Prometheus
03-03-2014, 02:37 PM

C-Wilt-67 role
PF-Malone
SF-Bird
SG-West
PG -Robertson
6th-LeBron

C- Thurmond
PF- Hakeem
SF-Pippen
SG-Jordan
PG-West
6th-Kareem

Now for AvB...

Shaq - Thurmond
Nowitski - Hakeem
Bird - Pippen
Allen - Jordan
Stockton - West

LeBron - Kareem

First of all, didn't you say in your OP that we couldn't put a guy in a position he wasn't known for playing? I don't recall Hakeem logging any minutes at the four... that being said, Nate Thurmond would be much more likely to play power forward on this team, and since Shaq would slaughter him moreso than Hakeem, I'll just switch it for you and put Hakeem at center. I think your first team could have won, but I really don't see any chance for this one. Hakeem did well against young Shaq, but he never had to deal with O'Neal at his peak. None of your centers are strong enough to deny Shaq his deep position, and so you would be forced to double team... Which is why I have four supreme three point shooters. Who will you leave open for the double? Stockton, Allen, Bird, Dirk? No good options. My offense would crush with minimal effort. Just feed the big guy, and make the obvious play. Jordan and Pippen make for a killer wing defense, but I really won't be looking for Allen or Bird to create their own shot against this team very much. Allen will test Jordan's cardio and try to make him work as much as possible - that matchup will be a nightmare for me on the other end, but the point is that Jordan would have to exert so much more energy to dominate his matchup than Shaq would his. And if Jordan starts abusing Allen too badly, I'll sub in LeBron and at least guard him respectably. I'm feeling four or five games on this one. (To be clear, I honestly thought the other matchup could have gone either way, I just picked my team because it's my team :D )

jongib369
03-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Now for AvB...

Shaq - Thurmond
Nowitski - Hakeem
Bird - Pippen
Allen - Jordan
Stockton - West

LeBron - Kareem

First of all, didn't you say in your OP that we couldn't put a guy in a position he wasn't known for playing? I don't recall Hakeem logging any minutes at the four... that being said, Nate Thurmond would be much more likely to play power forward on this team, and since Shaq would slaughter him moreso than Hakeem, I'll just switch it for you and put Hakeem at center. I think your first team could have won, but I really don't see any chance for this one. Hakeem did well against young Shaq, but he never had to deal with O'Neal at his peak. None of your centers are strong enough to deny Shaq his deep position, and so you would be forced to double team... Which is why I have four supreme three point shooters. Who will you leave open for the double? Stockton, Allen, Bird, Dirk? No good options. My offense would crush with minimal effort. Just feed the big guy, and make the obvious play. Jordan and Pippen make for a killer wing defense, but I really won't be looking for Allen or Bird to create their own shot against this team very much. Allen will test Jordan's cardio and try to make him work as much as possible - that matchup will be a nightmare for me on the other end, but the point is that Jordan would have to exert so much more energy to dominate his matchup than Shaq would his. And if Jordan starts abusing Allen too badly, I'll sub in LeBron and at least guard him respectably. I'm feeling four or five games on this one. (To be clear, I honestly thought the other matchup could have gone either way, I just picked my team because it's my team :D )
Just put that team together to have a second, I'll change it up to this to actually follow my own rules.... :lol

C-Wilt-67 role
PF-Garnett
SF-Pippen
SG-Kobe
PG-Magic
6th-Havlicek

To clarify you think Thurmond would play Shaq defensively worse than Hakeem? Considering there's only two players in history to make Kareem average below 50% I'm thinking if anything it'd have to be equal

TheMarkMadsen
03-03-2014, 06:05 PM
you guys are pairing too many ball dominant players together.

I like my team, they'd work well together and wouldn't have a problem knowing who gets what shots. Plus their defense would be insane

MavsSuperFan
03-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Shaquille
Duncan
Lebron
MJ
Magic

6th man: bird

Prometheus
03-03-2014, 10:25 PM
To clarify you think Thurmond would play Shaq defensively worse than Hakeem? Considering there's only two players in history to make Kareem average below 50% I'm thinking if anything it'd have to be equal

Shaq has repeatedly stated that Hakeem was his biggest challenge over the course of his career, but I'm basing this more off of size than anything. Hakeem was 7'0, 255 lbs., Thurmond was only 6'11, 225 lbs. He was probably stronger than Hakeem (at least... he looks like he was), but peak Shaq was upwards of 350. The size difference is just so extreme... I still think Wilt is the only person in history that might have been able to guard him one-on-one. What Thurmond was able to do against Kareem is not important to me - Kareem presents the exact opposite challenge as a center. He was skinny and finesse oriented.

Also, I'm still going to give some analysis for the other teams you offered up, but life outside of ISH is demanding right now so I'll get to it later. Feel free to provide some of your own.