PDA

View Full Version : Could a team with 12 NBA PG'S win the NCAA national championship?

TAZORAC
02-28-2014, 06:38 AM
Could a team with 12 NBA Point Guards win the NCAA national championship and go through the season undefeated? Remember undersized PG'S will be your Centers and Forwards, how do you think a team lead by Wall, Irving, Parker and Paul do?

HylianNightmare
02-28-2014, 08:04 AM
shaun livingston, westbrook both got size, dwill too

CeilingFan#1
02-28-2014, 08:06 AM

MCW too

brantonli
02-28-2014, 08:35 AM
some PGs are pretty good rebounders too, like Lowry and Rondo. You'll need to run and gun, and sacrifice threes to double team the big men. I'd say it's doable.

shallehalle
02-28-2014, 08:57 AM
some PGs are pretty good rebounders too, like Lowry and Rondo. You'll need to run and gun, and sacrifice threes to double team the big men. I'd say it's doable.
the're good rebounders, because they have guys that box out the opposition

TAZORAC
02-28-2014, 09:07 AM

I didn't even know Livingston was still in the NBA

Rubio2Gasol
02-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Nope, 12 points on the same team would suck. Very few points in the league capable of playing off the ball. Best I can do is,

Parker
Curry
Westbrook

Could do decent, but then you have to find bigs. Vasquez and Livingston maybe.

dirkdiggler41
02-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Nope, 12 points on the same team would suck. Very few points in the league capable of playing off the ball. Best I can do is,

Parker
Curry
Westbrook

Could do decent, but then you have to find bigs. Vasquez and Livingston maybe.

I diagree. NBA pointguards can play offball, they just dont do it because they are pointguards. They have the highest BB IQ. They have a great ability to read plays and that gives them a good advantage when they play offball.

wally_world
02-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Don't forget their perimeter defence. Their speed and ball pressure alone will destroy NCAA competition.

Some guys I would pick:
CP3 - Best PG in the L, leader
Dragic - Terrific off the ball
Curry - Perimeter shooting, can play him totally off the ball and still be effective
DWill - Size
Westbrook - Size, athleticism
Wall - Height (feels like 6'5" now), athleticism
Tony Wroten - Isn't he like a legit 6'7" 220lbs

Would be great if we can sneak Tyreke in there too

navy
02-28-2014, 09:48 AM
You need a center/pf though

Orlando Magic
02-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Yes they could.

The only reason they might not is playing down to competition.

NCAA players are vastly overrated apparently.

You realize there's like 450? possible roster spots for the ENTIRE WORLD in the NBA, right?

There's far more than 450 NCAA players graduating and never even sniffing the NBA every... single... year.

Just pick a few PGs that can get to the rim at will and a few more that can shoot and it's over. Also, stay away from cancers.

But their speed and overall skill difference would be too much to handle for NCAA players, lol.... this thread is a joke.

imdaman99
02-28-2014, 10:25 AM
ANY NBA pg that is doing awesome in the NBA can dominate most any player in college, doesn't matter about position. They are mentally tougher, not too many Anthony Davis's in college aka someone that is wise beyond their years.

BoutPractice
02-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Easily. We're talking about professionals vs mostly amateurs.

Obviously if you consider LeBron a PG it's not even fair... Or Tyreke Evans.

Even if they're off limits you can use any star PG for the backcourt (say Chris Paul and Stephen Curry), play small ball (maybe Deron Williams at 4?) and use 1 out of MCW/Vasquez/Livingston at 5. Derrick Rose/Westbrook at 3 might help too, with the chasedown blocks. You can count on speed, doubles, zones, and generally making threes rain, you won't be bothered in college.

If you come up against an Anthony Davis or Embiid, just double them and make the other guys beat you. You'll score more than the other team anyway.

MavsSuperFan
02-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Considering that The best players in college stay one year I'm sure NBA point guards could easily win.

Think about this a second the best players in college are often one year out of high school.

Bodhi
02-28-2014, 11:16 AM
I doubt that a single game would be close

Think of how few NBA ready bigs there are in the NCAA

Clyde
02-28-2014, 12:04 PM

Dude, do you even basketball?

RichieW
02-28-2014, 12:14 PM
I doubt that a single game would be close

Think of how few NBA ready bigs there are in the NCAA

You don't need to be an NBA ready big to score on skinny 6'5" guys in the post.

Even a guy like McDermott who might not make it as an NBA level scorer could put up 50 a game against a point guard in the post. I mean, who has the size and strength to stop him? Then you look at guys like Randle who can really score in the post.

Also, the NCAA team would out rebound the point guards by at least 30 a game. NBA team would get no offensive boards and struggle to rebound defensively.

The NBA team might beat a few teams, but would come unstuck against someone with a good post game.

HurricaneKid
02-28-2014, 12:18 PM
WTF is this?

I don't think people recognize just how awful the college game is right now. The best college players in the last 4 years were probably AD and Kemba. Kemba doesn't even get mentioned as a player on this prospective NBA PG team when he is three years older and better than he was when he was dominating college ball.

The 2014 champ would lose to the 1990-2001 champs (any of them) by 15-20 points.

Pushxx
02-28-2014, 12:59 PM
You don't need to be an NBA ready big to score on skinny 6'5" guys in the post.

Even a guy like McDermott who might not make it as an NBA level scorer could put up 50 a game against a point guard in the post. I mean, who has the size and strength to stop him? Then you look at guys like Randle who can really score in the post.

Also, the NCAA team would out rebound the point guards by at least 30 a game. NBA team would get no offensive boards and struggle to rebound defensively.

The NBA team might beat a few teams, but would come unstuck against someone with a good post game.

Lol Doug McDermott is a poor man's Kyle Korver. You think he's gonna score 50 per game against an NBA PG?

This is a joke. The NBA players would run circles around the NCAA team.

Demitri98
02-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Who would play C?

MCW 6'6
Livingston 6'6
Nate Wolters 6'5 (he is a very underrated rebounder, I watched him a lot at SD State and he was surprisingly good under the boards)
Maybe Westbrook?

rhowen4
02-28-2014, 01:19 PM
The NBA pg team would full court press, push the ball at all times, and hit 3s for days. Yes, they would win it all.

LeGOAT
02-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Easily. The opposition would have a hard time getting the ball past half court.

joe
02-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Who would play PG?

Milbuck
02-28-2014, 01:43 PM
It'd just be extreme small ball, except the guys on the small ball team are stronger, faster, quicker, smarter, more experienced, pretty much better at every facet of the game except size, really.

Starters:
CP3
Curry
Westbrook
Dragic
Livingston

Bench:
Rondo
Lillard
Wall
MCW
Kyrie
Lowry
Vasquez

If they have a coach that can help play to their strengths, I don't think they'd lose a game.

ILLsmak
02-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Yeah, as long as they had someone who could stand up to the punishment of guarding bigs. They could just run 2-3 zone all day and fast break.

Could put the bigger more athletic pgs on the inside of the zone and the shorter, better shooting PGs could be on the outside on offense. With the shorter line, too, it'd be ugly. Assuming we're talking about guys like Westbrook, (healthy) Rose, Lillard... etc

-Smak

TAZORAC
03-01-2014, 07:26 AM
For those of you saying they would win "easily" I don't agree. Sure they have the by far better talent, but the Centers if they got into foul trouble, could be upset 1-2 times throughout the 30 or so game college season.

Duke pretty much always starts 3 PG'S every year and they do fine.

bdreason
03-01-2014, 07:33 AM
12 NBA PG's would work an NCAA team. Whatever advantage the NCAA team has with rebounding, or on the post, wouldn't negate the superior perimeter skill level of the NBA squad.

SacJB Shady
03-01-2014, 08:42 AM
A lot of teams already have point guards that will be pros, so no. You need a power forward and center. Imagine if you played a team with a future all star center and a real good power forwards, decent guard. 12 guards can't win.

iamgine
03-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Could a team with 12 NBA Point Guards win the NCAA national championship and go through the season undefeated? Remember undersized PG'S will be your Centers and Forwards, how do you think a team lead by Wall, Irving, Parker and Paul do?
Undefeated? They could but the chance isn't great. There's too many variable involved to be reasonably sure.

sundizz
03-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Ya'll are crazy if you think ANY NCAA team stands a chance against not 1, not 2 not 7...but 12 NBA pg's.

They'd score at will. Most of them are knock down shooters. They'd put up ridiculous #'s on offense. Can't double any of them, can't trap them, can't stop them getting to the rim, and can't stop them from making a three.

All they really need to do is do a full court press. Especially with 12 NBA pg's they EASILY have the stamina to keep up a pressure full court press for the entire 40 minutes. If you think a NCAA team can score effectively under that pressure you are kidding me.

The only way they'd lose is if they felt lazy and didn't play hard. It's pretty easy to double a NCAA center for these guys I'd say. With Russ Westbrook + like Jrue Holiday rebounding they'd be fine. Also the big guys would get so winded trying to play against NBA pg's.

iamgine
03-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Ya'll are crazy if you think ANY NCAA team stands a chance against not 1, not 2 not 7...but 12 NBA pg's.

They'd score at will. Most of them are knock down shooters. They'd put up ridiculous #'s on offense. Can't double any of them, can't trap them, can't stop them getting to the rim, and can't stop them from making a three.

All they really need to do is do a full court press. Especially with 12 NBA pg's they EASILY have the stamina to keep up a pressure full court press for the entire 40 minutes. If you think a NCAA team can score effectively under that pressure you are kidding me.

The only way they'd lose is if they felt lazy and didn't play hard. It's pretty easy to double a NCAA center for these guys I'd say. With Russ Westbrook + like Jrue Holiday rebounding they'd be fine. Also the big guys would get so winded trying to play against NBA pg's.
No one said they wouldn't be great. They would win the title rather easily. But to be undefeated...there's just a lot of variables goes into that. Motivation, injuries, luck, etc. Some players intentionally keep a meaningless game close just as a challenge.

hahaitme
03-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Miami seam to do fine without boards :lol

MP.Trey
03-01-2014, 01:07 PM
It'd just be extreme small ball, except the guys on the small ball team are stronger, faster, quicker, smarter, more experienced, pretty much better at every facet of the game except size, really.

Starters:
CP3
Curry
Westbrook
Dragic
Livingston

Bench:
Rondo
Lillard
Wall
MCW
Kyrie
Lowry
Vasquez

If they have a coach that can help play to their strengths, I don't think they'd lose a game.
I like this team. If they trapped most of the game and constantly pushed the ball, teams would have a really hard time keeping up.

Boarder Patrol
03-01-2014, 01:22 PM
This is pros vs. kids and also a few PG's could be really good rebounders in the college game. Only weakness would be interior defense/rebounding but they'd have massive advantages in everything else. They'd win every game I think.

CP3
Curry
Dragic
Westbrook
Livingston

Parker
Wall
MCW

FKAri
03-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Yes the NBA PGs would win.

It would look alot like the Team USA @ the Olympics except the talent gap would be even greater.

Bob Dole
03-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Easily, are y'all really thus stupid?

secund2nun
03-01-2014, 02:38 PM
How do you think the PG team would fare against the 2007 Florida squad that had Noah, Horford, and Brewer?

b0bab0i
03-01-2014, 03:25 PM
He plays for Nets, backing up d-will

Bob Dole
03-01-2014, 03:30 PM
How do you think the PG team would fare against the 2007 Florida squad that had Noah, Horford, and Brewer?

Chris Paul, steph curry, Westbrook, tony Parker and others would dominate them. I don't think you understand how good they are at basketball. They would lack height but would be essentially as strong as them and infinitely quicker. It would be a massacre. Like 110- 64.