PDA

View Full Version : Spike Lee Gentrification Comments

ALBballer
02-28-2014, 08:25 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/26/us/new-york-spike-lee-gentrification/

I understand gentrification changes the area's culture but his thought process is not much different when racist white people complain when minorities coming in to predominantly white neighborhoods.

Also his whole stance on "respecting" the culture is just nonsense. Cities in America tend to change demographically and economically throughout time. When blacks moved into Harlem it was a predominately a neighborhood filled with European immigrants. What character or culture remains of of these European immigrants? Probably not much.

Hypocritical rants by Spike Lee lately. Instead of seeing the larger issue with commercialization of these areas he is baited by race talks. Also he fails to see some positives of gentrification i.e. people rejuvenating the area with investments.

And the most hypocritical part:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/real-estate/spike-lee-upper-east-side-mansion-hits-market-32-million-article-1.1599306

Selling his own place for $30 million.

niko
02-28-2014, 08:34 PM
Yeah brooklyn was much cooler when I got shot at. I wish it stayed like that.

JohnFreeman
02-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Fvck Spike Lee

Derka
02-28-2014, 08:40 PM
F*ck Spike Lee

Trentknicks
02-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Yeah brooklyn was much cooler when I got shot at. I wish it stayed like that.
Hahaha did that actually ever happen for real? Not a silly question for anyone whose ever been to 80s & 90s Brooklyn.

Myth
02-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Name that thing Spike Lee was heavily involved in that didn't deal with race.

Reggie Miller feud.

JEFFERSON MONEY
02-28-2014, 08:41 PM
lmfao

thought of three things

first the Mookie: Dago, wop, guinea, garlic-breath, pizza-slingin', spaghetti-bendin', Vic Damone, Perry Como, Luciano Pavarotti, Sole Mio, nonsingin' mother****er.
Pino: You gold-teeth-gold-chain-wearin', fried-chicken-and-biscuit-eatin', monkey, ape, baboon, big thigh, fast-runnin', high-jumpin', spear-chuckin', three-hundred-sixty-degree-basketball-dunkin' titsun spade Moulan Yan. Take your ****in' pizza-pizza and go the **** back to Africa.
Stevie: You little slanty-eyed, me-no-speaky-American, own-every-fruit-and-vegetable-stand-in-New-York, bullshit, Reverend Sun Myung Moon, Summer Olympics '88, Korean kick-boxing son of a bitch.
Officer Long: You Goya bean-eating, fifteen in a car, thirty in an apartment, pointed shoes, red-wearing, Menudo, mire-mire Puerto Rican **********. Yeah, you!
Sonny: It's cheap, I got a good price for you, Mayor Koch, "How I'm doing," chocolate-egg-cream-drinking, bagel-and-lox, B'nai B'rith Jew asshole.

the second rick fox tellin jesus "the white snow bunnies u call em over tell em u wanna spank that azz and they'll be knocking atchyo door befo u hang up"

and third

this guys a fukking double standard believing clown. simply put. no need to dwelve into any other complex explanations.

niko
02-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Hahaha did that actually ever happen for real? Not a silly question for anyone whose ever been to 80s & 90s Brooklyn.
I've been in the line of gunfire twice, yeah. People were shooting at people behind me once and at random another but it's real. Fun fact: I ran, some other people stood and watched.

I much prefer the way NY is now than the one I grew up in. The cops were scary, and the crime is a fraction if what it was.

MavsSuperFan
02-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Honestly this topic kind of exposes spike lee.

It shows what a huge hypocrite he is.

Also just to answer his question in the video, services and facilities got better after high income people moved there because there was more tax revenue.

MavsSuperFan
02-28-2014, 08:50 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/26/us/new-york-spike-lee-gentrification/

I understand gentrification changes the area's culture but his thought process is not much different when racist white people complain when minorities coming in to predominantly white neighborhoods.

Also his whole stance on "respecting" the culture is just nonsense. Cities in America tend to change demographically and economically throughout time. When blacks moved into Harlem it was a predominately a neighborhood filled with European immigrants. What character or culture remains of of these European immigrants? Probably not much.

Hypocritical rants by Spike Lee lately. Instead of seeing the larger issue with commercialization of these areas he is baited by race talks. Also he fails to see some positives of gentrification i.e. people rejuvenating the area with investments.

And the most hypocritical part:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/real-estate/spike-lee-upper-east-side-mansion-hits-market-32-million-article-1.1599306

Selling his own place for $30 million.
Agreed. Its pretty hypocritical to complain.

Rasheed1
02-28-2014, 09:15 PM
I agree with Spike's comments, but its a complicated subject.. I can relate to his feelings..

I live in Philly and the subways suck until the GOP convention comes to town in 2000 and they decide to spruce everything up since the GOP is are coming to town.. I appreciate the improvement, but I wonder where was the urgency beforehand?..

when certain people come to town? the systems get serious about fixing their deficiencies and making things appropriate..

He has a good point.. many people complained for years, but they didn't have the clout necessary to make the system react to their complaints..

Akrazotile
02-28-2014, 09:31 PM
I live in Philly and the subways suck until the GOP convention comes to town in 2000 and they decide to spruce everything up since the GOP is are coming to town.. I appreciate the improvement, but I wonder where was the urgency beforehand?..

when certain people come to town? the systems get serious about fixing their deficiencies and making things appropriate..

He has a good point.. many people complained for years, but they didn't have the clout necessary to make the system react to their complaints..

:roll:

What a slob.

It gets done when the GOP comes to town because people in the GOP want it done and they make it happen.

What do you ever bother to get involved with or speak out NOT ON THE INTERNET about?

You want something done, get people together and demand it. You're sitting here complaining on insidehoops you fool. Yeah, city hall is gonna roll out the red carpet for your bitter crackhead ass. :oldlol:

:cry: How come the GOP makes the subways nice and I enjoy it when they do but then when they leave its back to regular and I don't do anything about it :cry: They should still make it nice for me doe I complain about the stupid white people and republicans on the insidehoops board :cry: Where is my nice subway??? :cry:

Akrazotile
02-28-2014, 09:36 PM
The garbage wasn't picked up every mother******* day when I was living in 165 Washington Park. ... The police weren't around. When you see white mothers pushing their babies in strollers, three o'clock in the morning on 125th Street, that must tell you something."

Yeah, it tells me white people must live there now. You'd never see a Quantashria pushing a stroller at 3 in the morning.

She'd be at the club!

Baby would be crying in a trash can somewhere.

Rasheed1
02-28-2014, 09:42 PM
:rolleyes:

Either did Ghandi.

You're such a pathetic 'victim' loser.

I know so many black people that absolutely hate bitter negroes like yourself. You probably hate a bunch of shit about your life that resulted from the sort of idiot that YOU SPECIFICALLY are, and you just constantly blame it on the man.

So ridiculous. Just get out.

Its almost time for starface to get banned AGAIN

you don't know any "negroes" so please stop perpetrating :lol your post is full of projection as the usual Starface BS that got you punched out recently..

learn your lesson and smarten up ..

If you you cant take the comments in the spirit in which they were delivered? maybe that is reason you need to re-invent yourself soo many times

Akrazotile
02-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Im saying negro in this context as a reprove, as in "Negro please, shut your ass up" the way black people say it. Not in the context of a racial connotation. Real tawk, Im into a lot of black culture stuff everyone here knows that and a lot of times when im on a tangent that kinda talk just happens. DEAL WITH IT.

****ing white losers man. they need to be mommies. they have ZERO testicular juice. they don't run shit, becuase they're not strong intelligent men at the top of the food chain. but they still have a need to feel important, so basically they just use minorities as their "dolls" to take care of and feel needed, like a freakin 5 year old girl does. Shit is unbelievable. **** you deucewallace and real men wear green and keylessentry and and all the other ridiculous soft ass needy whiny delicate desperate insecure feminine pu$$y ass dickholes.

Akrazotile
02-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Who even uses the word negro without irony? lol

see above

Rasheed1
02-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Im saying negro in this context as a reprove, as in "Negro please, shut your ass up" the way black people say it. Not in the context of a racial connotation. Real tawk, Im into a lot of black culture stuff everyone here knows that and a lot of times when im on a tangent that kinda talk just happens. DEAL WITH IT.

And yeah, if you support bitter spike lee's hypocritical victim comments, then you're wack. Shit is lame as hell, cry about all the "equality" (special treatment) you want for blacks, but then when it's time to be on the PC side? The one that whites are always on? Where you can't be honest anymore, you have to walk on eggshells with your comments, have to tolerate other culture, have to be accepting and 'diverse.' Then suddenly blacks think they're exempt. Just keep on spouting off whatever they FEEL like, regardless of how compassionate or tolerant it DOESNT make them look and how prejudice it does make them look.

But honestly, it's natural for any group to do that. Cry foul when it benefits you, say "**** it" when THAT benefits you. The people I ****ing hate most are the F@GGOTS like deucewallaces and these ****ing puzzy liberals who think they're "cool" for basically helping to stuff white people into a sack and making them lie down as doormats, so just this ****ing intellectual fugazi can FEEL like he's smart and superior for holding the little black mans hand and stroking his head and saying "don't worry, i'm gonna help you against the big bad oppressive meanie white people."

****ing losers man. they need to be mommies. they have ZERO testicular juice. they don't run shit, becuase they're not strong intelligent men at the top of the food chain. but they still have a need to feel important, so basically they just use minorities as their "dolls" to take care of and feel needed, like a freakin 5 year old girl does. Shit is unbelievable.

:roll: typical starface strawman fake ass rant..

its the same crap spewed from you over the years... That's why you keep getting banned (and punched out by cholos) :oldlol:

continue on though.. its always entertaining..

LJJ
02-28-2014, 10:11 PM
I don't get it. So is the media racist and just trying to paint black people in a negative light by keeping to give irrelevant and racist old black folks like Spike Lee, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton attention every time they say something racist? (which seems to be every other day?)

ALBballer
02-28-2014, 10:19 PM
I don't get it. So is the media racist and just trying to paint black people in a negative light by keeping to give irrelevant and racist old black folks like Spike Lee, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton attention every time they say something racist? (which seems to be every other day?)

America is an extremely politically correct country. Say anything against the social norms and it will garner media attention. Spike Lee is your typical loud mouth celebrity that will garner attention for his outlandish ideas. Maybe it's a ploy on his part to stay relevant.

Akrazotile
02-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Deleting some of my posts, I admit they were excessive.

I've handled the matter internally like a college football program Jeff, no need to institute further NCAA punishment.

Let's all just move on, ya dig.

MavsSuperFan
02-28-2014, 10:25 PM
I agree with Spike's comments, but its a complicated subject.. I can relate to his feelings..

Whats the difference between spike and old white folks who complained about black people coming into their neighborhoods and changing the culture?

Also major events like the olympics, superbowls, political conventions are different, thats not an apt comparison.

In most cases areas with low property values and low income levels have low tax revenue. Without enough tax revenue, its hard to provide great facilities/services.

Gentrification results in better services/facilities because richer people are moving there, not because white people.

Patrick Chewing
02-28-2014, 10:26 PM
Spike Lee ain't that smart

Rasheed1
02-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Spike lee is simply asking why the improvement that have been asked for by the citizens of fort green (or whatever the area is) haven been addressed in the past, but now are..

If people would stop being such sensitive p*ssies, they would see that it is a economic issue more than a racial one.. If poor whites moved to this area, the school district and the surrounding system wouldnt be rushing to improve the area

Why were the citizens pleas ignored to begin with?

that is a legitimate issue and there are white communities that have the same issue

Maybe not in New York.. But definitely in West Virginia and the Carolinas

the issue is more so than race and the idiots catching feelings automatically (starface) need to consider that before they get on they typical right/left black/white fake ass tirade

Rasheed1
02-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Also major events like the olympics, superbowls, political conventions are different, thats not an apt comparison.

In most cases areas with low property values and low income levels have low tax revenue. Without enough tax revenue, its hard to provide great facilities/services.

the difference is that the people living there have been clamoring for the changes for years, and they don't happen until "moneyed interests" come to town

sorta like the Olympics in Russia

MavsSuperFan
02-28-2014, 10:33 PM
Spike lee is simply asking why the improvement that have been asked for by the citizens of fort green (or whatever the area is) haven been addressed in the past, but now are..

If people would stop being such sensitive p*ssies, they would see that it is a economic issue more than a racial one.. If poor whites moved to this area, the school district and the surrounding system wouldnt be rushing to improve the area

that is a legitimate issue and there are white communities that have the same issue

the issue is more so than race and the idiots catching feelings automatically (starface) need to consider that before they get on they typical right/left black/white fake ass tirade

ok, i agree with that.
But really there is no way to fix this, other than radical changes to how local governments are funded.

Poorer communities will result in less tax revenue. Because of low property values.

How can the government provide good services without the money to do so?

Rasheed1
02-28-2014, 10:36 PM
ok, i agree with that.
But really there is no way to fix this, other than radical changes to how local governments are funded.

Poorer communities will result in less tax revenue. Because of low property values.

How can the government provide good services without the money to do so?

Governments always seem to have money for things that they deem to be important priorities

its just when they get to issues that deal with regular folks, when they seem to "run out of funds"

it is all about priorities and who does the government actually serve

ALBballer
02-28-2014, 10:39 PM

100% agree the issue is an economic issue. But isn't the real ***** someone like Spike Lee who is turning the issue into a racial one while ignoring the real issue at hand. Starface is a nobody in the grand scheme of things, Spike Lee is renowned director that is using his influence in the wrong direction.

If people would speak on the root of the issue then change could come about. But simply labeling this some racial issue will not fix anything. In fact, the elites in this country prefer issues be labeled as such because it deflects attention from themselves.

MightyWhitey
02-28-2014, 10:39 PM
Spike Lee :lol :applause: Thank you. You expose yourself as the bitter little cockroach everyone has known you to be. You should be so lucky that white folks are improving your neighborhood you idiot. Funny how there is a double standard. No white people in a black neighborhood means white people are racist. White move into your neighborhood and that's racist :lol no win situation for that limousine liberal.

Akrazotile
02-28-2014, 10:50 PM

Communities improve when white people move in because white people bother to improve them.

Black communities stay preoccupied with BET and Jordan sneakers and chains and rims and gats and expensive sunglasses to wear to the club.

Seriously, wtf do you want? You can only lead a horse to water. Black people can vote. They can volunteer. They can communicate and network in their neighborhoods. This apparently isn't good enough. They want MO MONEY from wherever dat white community be at. Put rims on the toaster.

Look at em they spinnin they spinnin they spinnin

And yo, let's be 100% honest here. "Black communities" are not bastions of thoughtful debate and noble struggle. Smart black people LEAVE the hood once they get a good job. These communities are the people that just don't give a shit, don't read, don't pay attention, don't participate. And there are plenty of poor white communities like this too. But this idea that the black community is filled with scholars who can't get a fair shake?

http://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/snow-safari-terrell-boyd-and-shymalik-mitchell.jpg

Yeah, white people are in a hurry to fix up the subways for these guys.

Rasheed1
02-28-2014, 10:55 PM
100% agree the issue is an economic issue. But isn't the real ***** someone like Spike Lee who is turning the issue into a racial one while ignoring the real issue at hand. Starface is a nobody in the grand scheme of things, Spike Lee is renowned director that is using his influence in the wrong direction.

If people would speak on the root of the issue then change could come about. But simply labeling this some racial issue will not fix anything. In fact, the elites in this country prefer issues be labeled as such because it deflects attention from themselves.

I agree with you.. :cheers:

The caveat that I would interject is that the rich people who happen to be moving back into the cities are white :confusedshrug:

I know people in who live in South philly (Reed Street).. Rich whites have decided to move back into the city and one of the places they move is this area

The people on the block aren't mad at the white people for coming back (property values are sky rocketing and that is a good thing for everyone who still owns a home in the area), they just wonder where was all the attention 5 years ago when they were screaming for better services and schools.. I actually met some of the white guys who bought homes in the area and they are nice guys with some good ideas...

its just that the people wonder why it took this to improve a neighborhood that had been crying for it for so long..

Rasheed1
02-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Communities improve when white people move in because white people bother to improve them.

Black communities stay preoccupied with BET and Jordan sneakers and chains and rims and gats and expensive sunglasses to wear to the club.

Seriously, wtf do you want? You can only lead a horse to water. Black people can vote. They can volunteer. They can communicate and network in their neighborhoods. This apparently isn't good enough. They want MO MONEY from wherever dat white community be at. Put rims on the toaster.

Look at em they spinnin they spinnin they spinnin

And yo, let's be 100% honest here. "Black communities" are not bastions of thoughtful debate and noble struggle. Smart black people LEAVE the hood once they get a good job. These communities are the people that just don't give a shit, don't read, don't pay attention, don't participate. And there are plenty of poor white communities like this too. But this idea that the black community is filled with scholars who can't get a fair shake?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CsNAB1sCKNg/Sw0LVKxLs1I/AAAAAAAAFf4/WiCNOmGtDNw/s400/Black+Racists.jpg

Yeah, white people are in a hurry to fix up the subways for these guys.

you're an idiot... no wonder you got KTFO :lol

Akrazotile
02-28-2014, 11:06 PM
you're an idiot... no wonder you got KTFO :lol

I changed the picture cause even tho those kids probably aren't going on to "great things" its a pretty harmless fake-gangsta picture, we all took em when we were younger.

But everyone knows the deal. Regular black dudes grew up and found work and had a kid or two and took care of em.

NIKKAS just planted seeds all over the place, went to prison and their lil niklets got raised by mothers of questionable credibility and no fathers and are now runnin around stickin shit up and gettin high at 12 years old and all this chit. There's nothin white people can do or care to do bout this. Sick of us takin the blame for this shit. Unless you wanna DEPORT or STERILIZE the nikkas who have kids and dont take responsibility, black poverty aint goin away.

Believe me, I'd be all for it. But others won't be. And they'll just keep blamin whitey. Whatever man. Shit aint gonna change unless black people do. The excuses just gonna prolong the chit. Hey, not my problem.

Rasheed1
02-28-2014, 11:13 PM
I changed the picture cause even tho those kids probably aren't going on to "great things" its a pretty harmless fake-gangsta picture, we all took em when we were younger.

But everyone knows the deal. Regular black dudes grew up and found work and had a kid or two and took care of em.

NIKKAS just planted seeds all over the place, went to prison and their lil niklets got raised by mothers of questionable credibility and no fathers and are now runnin around stickin shit up and gettin high at 12 years old and all this chit. There's nothin white people can do or care to do bout this. Sick of us takin the blame for this shit. Unless you wanna DEPORT or STERILIZE the nikkas who have kids and dont take responsibility, black poverty aint goin away.

Believe me, I'd be all for it. But others won't be. And they'll just keep blamin whitey. Whatever man. Shit aint gonna change unless black people do. The excuses just gonna prolong the chit. Hey, not my problem.

You're an idiot...

Most homes owned in the city of Philadelphia are owned by black women, or black families (that include men)

wannabe thugs (or whatever your stereotype entails) don't own any property in the city and they aren't a factor when discussing proeperty values and why Gentrification issues are important to property owners in the city

Akrazotile
03-01-2014, 02:19 AM
You're an idiot...

Most homes owned in the city of Philadelphia are owned by black women, or black families (that include men)

wannabe thugs (or whatever your stereotype entails) don't own any property in the city and they aren't a factor when discussing proeperty values and why Gentrification issues are important to property owners in the city

What?? The environment of a community is a huge factor when discussing property values. There are tons of places in every city that would make good locations in terms of transportation, proximity to businesses and so forth but are dirt cheap and many people won't touch them because of violence, crime, blight, etc.

If you're looking at buying a house and the agent tells you the homicide statistics are very high in this neighborhood, you're going to be like "Well, as long as they don't technically OWN the homes, I'm good right?"

Akrazotile
03-01-2014, 02:28 AM
The people on the block aren't mad at the white people for coming back (property values are sky rocketing and that is a good thing for everyone who still owns a home in the area), they just wonder where was all the attention 5 years ago when they were screaming for better services and schools.. I actually met some of the white guys who bought homes in the area and they are nice guys with some good ideas...

its just that the people wonder why it took this to improve a neighborhood that had been crying for it for so long..

You could ask this about the areas around trailer parks in Kansas as well.

When people with higher income move to an area it increases the tax revenue.

Why is this a white people issue for Spike? Because those white people who are bringing in money are suddenly asking to keep the music down late at night? Ohhh, boo hoo. I guess Spike has his hand out for the white man's money, but just doesn't want the white residents having any say in how the city operates.

Someone needs to tell Spike it doesn't work that way.

Dresta
03-01-2014, 11:10 AM
lol Spike Lee - such a wasteman and fraud. He should keep his mouth shut and go make some more shitty films.

Rasheed1
03-01-2014, 12:38 PM
What?? The environment of a community is a huge factor when discussing property values. There are tons of places in every city that would make good locations in terms of transportation, proximity to businesses and so forth but are dirt cheap and many people won't touch them because of violence, crime, blight, etc.

If you're looking at buying a house and the agent tells you the homicide statistics are very high in this neighborhood, you're going to be like "Well, as long as they don't technically OWN the homes, I'm good right?"

:biggums: People who don't do anything or own anything? those people don't worry about the quality of schools in their neighborhood, or why the trash doesn't get picked up weekly.. They aren't concerned about the quality of services

That is why they don't count