PDA

View Full Version : how can the Knicks rebuild?

jzek
03-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Step 1 is to obviously get rid of Woodson.

Then what? :confusedshrug:

WallIn
03-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Having no picks till 2050 certainly hinders the rebuild plan

Kblaze8855
03-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Total tear down. Get rid of everyone but Shumpert and Hardaway. The Knicks always try to rebuild all at once with big moves and overnight fixes. But they are a team built to win now that cant win 40 games. Let Melo walk and go from scratch. Melo isnt old...but you dont need him taking 24 shots a night the next 3 years at 20+ million dollars as you win 34, 41, and 29 games.

Just stop dancing around the full rebound and grind the team into the dirt and start from scratch.

If was a good effort. Had Amare stayed first year in NY Amare and they got to pair him with Chandler and Melo...add Shump...it could have worked.

With Amare gone role player....just blow it up. Own the mistakes you made and wait it out.

No magic fix here.

niko
03-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Total tear down. Get rid of everyone but Shumpert and Hardaway. The Knicks always try to rebuild all at once with big moves and overnight fixes. But they are a team built to win now that cant win 40 games. Let Melo walk and go from scratch. Melo isnt old...but you dont need him taking 24 shots a night the next 3 years at 20+ million dollars as you win 34, 41, and 29 games.

Just stop dancing around the full rebound and grind the team into the dirt and start from scratch.

If was a good effort. Had Amare stayed first year in NY Amare and they got to pair him with Chandler and Melo...add Shump...it could have worked.

With Amare gone role player....just blow it up.
This. Could it work with Melo? Yes. With this regime, with a no talent GM with no long term plan? NO.

Why does everyone keep saying we have no picks, 14/16 are gone but the rest are not. After this year essentially 1 pick is traded.

redhonda76
03-01-2014, 11:26 AM
You can start by telling James Dolan to shut up, and stop getting involve with the GM decision.
Donnie Walsh was the best GM we had for the past decade. He was able to clear salaries when many of us say it can't be done. Walsh made the Knicks respectable. He left because of Dolan was getting to involved, undermining Walsh. Jeremy Lin went to the Rockets because Dolan got upset when he went for the bigger deal. Dolan stopped the trade on Lowry for Felton, Shumpert and Artest in December. Now, Lowry's value is so high that the Knicks had to offer more to get him before the trade deadline. Now we left with no draft picks for 2014, on the verge of not making to the playoff, and one of the highest payoff in the league.
When you have an owner who doesn't know what he is doing and stick his nose on everything, how can you attract good GM and coach to come here.

Charlie Sheen
03-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Step 1 is to obviously get rid of Woodson.

Then what? :confusedshrug:

shitcanning woodson won't mean a damn thing on a road to rebuilding. look at the comedy or errors detroit aka dumars made in their head coach hires ... step 1 is to get management organized. Stability i the org will attract premium hc candidates.

Boarder Patrol
03-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Waive + stretch Felton and JR so they only count as around $4 million of the cap come 2015. Try to S&T Melo for a pick or two and expiring contracts,

max cap room + #1 overall pick in 2015.

MichaelCorleone
03-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Move the team to Seattle.

smoovegittar
03-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Dragic to Knicks2015! :banana:

el gringos
03-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Carmelo opts in for final season.

Play 2014-2015 out with the same roster plus stuckey.

Sign Kevin love and dragic

Re sign Carmelo, bargnani, chandler, shumpert

Dragic/stuckey
Jr/hardaway
Carmelo
Love
Bargnani/chandler

smoovegittar
03-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Carmelo opts in for final season.

Play 2014-2015 out with the same roster plus stuckey.

Sign Kevin love and dragic

Re sign Carmelo, bargnani, chandler, shumpert

Dragic/stuckey
Jr/hardaway
Carmelo
Love
Bargnani/chandler

Ship out Bargnani and Chandler and I'll sign for this.

Shabba Ranks
03-01-2014, 03:39 PM
is he a good coach ? can the heat get him ?

EnoughSaid
03-01-2014, 04:02 PM
If Amare doesn't get injured and neither does Shumpert, The Knicks could have been legitimate. But the whole Melo/Amare/Chandler front court would have always had trouble coexisting. They need to focus on younger talent and drafting the right players.

Nets fan 93
03-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Trade anyone with value not named hardway or even shumpert unless it's a lottery pick, for some kind of pick. Try hard for a melo sign and trade if he decides to walk for some picks. Get rid of fools gold jr smith

Kiddlovesnets
03-01-2014, 04:21 PM
They are the knicks, they have always been rebuilding.
:rolleyes:

NuggetsFan
03-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Why does everyone keep saying we have no picks, 14/16 are gone but the rest are not. After this year essentially 1 pick is traded.

Which is almost needed when doing a full rebuild. You need all your picks when your rebuilding usually, maybe NY will be good because they can entice better players once they get there "guy" in '15 but if they don't hit on an All-Star? They'll be waiting until '17 to draft another lotto talent.

So you clean house, suck in '15 and draft a lottery player hopefully top 5, and than do what your doing right now with him instead of Melo and hit up FA? or just call '16 a mulligan and right back to the draft in '17.

If I'm NY I try and re-sign Melo for a shorter term contract if they can. Hit FA, make some trades etc. try and build that super team. Don't throw away my draft picks. Come '17 or '18 if I haven't landed a Kevin Love or whatever other superstar or built a successful team with hope around Melo? Than I do what KBlaze said. I blow it up entirely and tank and start new. Build from scratch with every single one of my picks.

I personally couldn't do that missing a pick in a key year of the rebuilding stage. Considering most rebuilding teams will at the very least suck for 3 years minimum your losing that 2nd season lotto pick. Maybe NY doesn't need it because obviously not like OKC but it'd feel too risky to me.

I say this as a Nuggets fan. I pray to god they rebuild so that '16 pick is potentially high lotto. For Knicks fans tho, that's your Harden or Westbrook. That's your chance at pairing the guy you take in '15 up with. That's a vital part of your core.

D.J.
03-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Canning Woodson isn't the answer. The problem is upstairs. Dolan needs to go, Isiah can't be involved in any way, and they need a GM who has complete reign and can do what he needs to do. Donnie Walsh may have been the best thing to happen to that franchise since Ewing and Dolan f*cked that up.

Melo's gotta go. He's gonna be another Dominique Wilkins/Charles Barkley/Karl Malone. A great player who's never gonna win anything. Amare's gotta go, as do Chandler and Kenyon Martin. The only players I'd keep are Shump and Hardaway. Felton can thrive in the right system, but it's not the Knicks' system and his work ethic is questionable at best.

The biggest problem is Dolan. Very little blame, if any, goes to Woodson IMO. Not even Larry Brown could coach misfits like these, as we saw in 2006.

Trentknicks
03-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Canning Woodson isn't the answer. The problem is upstairs. Dolan needs to go, Isiah can't be involved in any way, and they need a GM who has complete reign and can do what he needs to do. Donnie Walsh may have been the best thing to happen to that franchise since Ewing and Dolan f*cked that up.

Melo's gotta go. He's gonna be another Dominique Wilkins/Charles Barkley/Karl Malone. A great player who's never gonna win anything. Amare's gotta go, as do Chandler and Kenyon Martin. The only players I'd keep are Shump and Hardaway. Felton can thrive in the right system, but it's not the Knicks' system and his work ethic is questionable at best.

The biggest problem is Dolan. Very little blame, if any, goes to Woodson IMO. Not even Larry Brown could coach misfits like these, as we saw in 2006.
You keep pushing this and it's becoming so obvious that you don't watch games at all. Agree with you about Dolan and management needing to go, but anyone with eyes watching the games knows Woodson has to go as well.

Smook A.
03-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Might sound pretty bad but the best thing they can do is trade Carmelo Anthony. I mean look... the Knicks suck, they have no draft picks for 2014, and the chances of Melo staying in NYC aren't looking good. They're losing too many games. You can even see the expression on his face and its not good. At all. I bet he sits there on the bench thinkin "thank god im a free agent in 2014".

If Carmelo leaves in free agency, the Knicks get absolutely nothing. They'll end up like the Cavs or Lakers. Both teams lost a big player for some bread crumbs.

Spaulding
03-01-2014, 07:04 PM
They need to do what Celtics did. Problem is Celtics had/has picks...

KyleKong
03-01-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm so confused how a team in New York City can be consistently this mediocre.

Bandito
03-01-2014, 07:11 PM

The biggest problem is Dolan. Very little blame, if any, goes to Woodson IMO. Not even Larry Brown could coach misfits like these, as we saw in 2006.How do you fire an owner?:biggums:

red1
03-01-2014, 07:13 PM
I'm so confused how a team in New York City can be consistently this mediocre.
For real. How do you have a legit franchise-calibre first option, have some of the most pasionate and savvy fans, play in the most desirable market for free-agents and still NOT manage to do shit? Only the knicks man, only the knicks

Bandito
03-01-2014, 07:15 PM
For real. How do you have a legit franchise-calibre first option, have some of the most pasionate and savvy fans, play in the most desirable market for free-agents and still NOT manage to do shit? Only the knicks man, only the knicks
it's easy, overpay known mostly injured players for a lot of money and forget you need role players to win.

Seriosuly why they fired the GM that made all that cap space in the beginning is beyond me. They should've let him still be the GM, maybe he would've at least made a decent team.

smoovegittar
03-01-2014, 08:27 PM
it's easy, overpay known mostly injured players for a lot of money and forget you need role players to win.

Seriosuly why they fired the GM that made all that cap space in the beginning is beyond me. They should've let him still be the GM, maybe he would've at least made a decent team.
They didn't fire Donny...He stepped down. He had health issues and rumor was he was pissed at Dolan's meddling. Hopefully, Jim learned a lesson here. Grunwald wasn't the genius some people make him out to be. I wasn't crazy about the high risk/high reward gamble he took signing those older players. Getting Bargs and re-signing Earl was pretty stupid as well.

Draz
03-01-2014, 08:40 PM
You can start by telling James Dolan to shut up, and stop getting involve with the GM decision.
Donnie Walsh was the best GM we had for the past decade. He was able to clear salaries when many of us say it can't be done. Walsh made the Knicks respectable. He left because of Dolan was getting to involved, undermining Walsh. Jeremy Lin went to the Rockets because Dolan got upset when he went for the bigger deal. Dolan stopped the trade on Lowry for Felton, Shumpert and Artest in December. Now, Lowry's value is so high that the Knicks had to offer more to get him before the trade deadline. Now we left with no draft picks for 2014, on the verge of not making to the playoff, and one of the highest payoff in the league.
When you have an owner who doesn't know what he is doing and stick his nose on everything, how can you attract good GM and coach to come here.
Basically. Lin was also a cash cow, didn't matter if we offered him max if we can. Lin deserves Amares contract to be honest, did more than him. He would of been great to watch and brought millions back because of Asians.

D.J.
03-02-2014, 12:40 AM
You keep pushing this and it's becoming so obvious that you don't watch games at all. Agree with you about Dolan and management needing to go, but anyone with eyes watching the games knows Woodson has to go as well.

It's becoming obvious you haven't followed my posts here. I haven't pushed a damn thing and you seem to know everything. This time last year, you all wanted Woodson as COY. Now you want him gone. Not even the best coach in the world could make these guys winners.

How do you fire an owner? :biggums:

Who said anything about firing an owner? I sure didn't. There's other ways for Dolan to disappear. Him dropping dead would qualify as well.

Xiao Yao You
03-02-2014, 12:42 AM
Dolan selling the team is the only way. :roll:

D.J.
03-02-2014, 12:43 AM

Or dying.

Kiddlovesnets
03-02-2014, 12:49 AM

Or moving the Knicks to Seattle?
:lol