PDA

View Full Version : Most skilled big man ever?

Warfan
03-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Im certainly open to changing my list if you think im wrong.

Mainly just about skills in the post, but it can include overall skills aswell which is why i found it tough to rank them.

My top 4 would look like (probably in this order) -

1.Hakeem
2.Kareem
3.McHale
4.Duncan

Hakeem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22O2lApCBBs

He was very atheltic for a big man, which gave him an great advantage over almost everyone he went up against. Hakeem had the skills to post up any player in the league. If he got the ball down low, he was getting u 2 points. He would spin around you and then finish with a simple hook or gentle finger roll. Another part of his game that gave him great success, was his fade away jumper. He had the length to shoot over anyone, and his length combined with his athleticism helped him to get those shots off. And because of this he gave himself a lot of room between him and his defender.

Kareem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayAz8EpuNUM

His numbers speak for themselves, leading scorer of all time, has the most unstoppable shot in the history of the game. His skill level helped him to have the most impressive longevity of any player ever. He scored within the team concept, on insane efficiency and had a terrific arsenal of moves to score as the video above shows. And yet, some people still think he was all sky hook.

Kevin McHale:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXFIngeh6NY

McHale at 6'10, with that huge wingspan, scoring skillset, and defensive versatility was incredible. There was no wonder Ainge called him the black hole, because when ever he got the ball in the post, that was it, it wasn't coming back out. He had great balance to do what he did, and there are very few people who can be taught to gather themselves fluidly after keeping the ball so high. His use of dips and finger rolls require a great touch as well.

Tim Duncan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QURRXrYQ9yI

Similarly to McHale, Tim Duncan wasn't the strongest, fastest or most athletic playeron the court, but his amazing footwork for a man his size helped him to succeed. Duncan also has great length so that gives him a great advantage on both the offensive and defensive end. He's got at least one counter off of each move, he commands the mid-post as well as the low post and he is a great passer. One of my favourite parts of Duncan's game is his bank and hook shots, which are very hard to stop and are skills that are rarely seen in the NBA nowadays.

Some other guys that I think could be in the discussion (among the best) are:

Wilt (I don't think ive seen enough footage of him, but from what I have seen he had a 15-foot fade, the finger roll, and some solid footwork, but the thing that really stood out about Wilt was his passing from the low post)

Garnett (Garnett's low/mid post skills aren't that varied. Great turnaround fade and a turn-in jumper and some basic post fundamentals. He thrives as a passer in the high post and is a great perimeter shooter, runs a great pick-and-roll and is a good ball-handler)

Dirk (He's definitely one of the best mid-post scorers I've seen. His rainbow jumper, wrong-footed turnaround and the other stuff he does makes him essentially unguardable when he's posting up)

And from what ive researched Walton probably deserves a mention aswell. Of course there are other players too.

tldr...
Who do you think is the most skilled big man ever?

Milbuck
03-02-2014, 10:32 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Sabonis_Lipofsky_(1_of_1).JPG

Rocketswin2013
03-02-2014, 10:33 PM
KG has to be #5

Dr. Ice
03-02-2014, 10:34 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Sabonis_Lipofsky_(1_of_1).JPG

And just like that, the thread is over

Black and White
03-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Hakeem for me

MMM
03-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Walton and KG deserve a mention probably Cwebb as well

Rodmantheman
03-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Yao would have been one if he had stayed healthy.

Smook A.
03-02-2014, 10:37 PM
JaVale McGee

MichaelCorleone
03-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Hakeem.

moe94
03-02-2014, 10:39 PM
KG was as skilled as anyone, all things considered. He's top 3, at absolute worst. How many can claim to be as good as him in so many different aspects of the game?

Micku
03-02-2014, 10:41 PM
No love for Willis Reed? Offensively, he was pretty smooth from what I watched.

I don't know if he'll make a top 5 or a top tier on anyone list, but I think he deserves a mention. Some solid footwork, take it inside or out (good jumper), and not bad off the dribble for a big men.

Combat Wombat
03-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Easily Hakeem. Then Kareem although I wouldn't slam anyone for putting McHale before him because his post work was a thing of beauty to watch.

MichaelCorleone
03-02-2014, 10:45 PM
Easily Hakeem. Then Kareem although I wouldn't slam anyone for putting McHale before him because his post work was a thing of beauty to watch.
Kareem only had his sky hook. Not skills, just muscle memory.

Uncle Drew
03-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Kareem only had his sky hook. Not skills, just muscle memory.
Kill yourself.

MichaelCorleone
03-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Kill yourself.
The sky hook relies on muscle memory more than skills. Sure it's a finesse move, but it never changes unlike the dream shake.

Milbuck
03-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Kill yourself.
:oldlol:

aboss4real24
03-02-2014, 10:51 PM
my di ck

Milbuck
03-02-2014, 10:52 PM
my di ck
...has never penetrated a woman. Ditch the magenta font dude.

PsychoBe
03-02-2014, 11:02 PM
JaVale McGee

michaelcorelone has more of a post game than javale.

aboss4real24
03-02-2014, 11:06 PM
...has never penetrated a woman. Ditch the magenta font dude.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1381213_709623692399936_1495136957_n.jpg

Warfan
03-02-2014, 11:08 PM

I certainly considered him too. I feel had he hit the league younger, would have been a terror. He had great size, a great shot, decent basic moves and was a great passer. Even in Portland in his mid-30s, you could tell.

KG was as skilled as anyone, all things considered. He's top 3, at absolute worst. How many can claim to be as good as him in so many different aspects of the game?

I agree, but my list was more focused mainly but not strictly on post skills so that's why I don't have him right at the top. Strictly talking about the post? IMO KG loses out a lot because of his own diversity but I wont blame you if u have him close to or in the top 3.

Fire Colangelo
03-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Yao was very skilled. Very agile for such a big guy, had handles to go along with it too.

Kiddlovesnets
03-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Could Anthony Davis be on that list someday? Lettuce not forget that he began his basketball career as a guard, so he can do moves like a guard does.

bizil
03-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Im certainly open to changing my list if you think im wrong.

Mainly just about skills in the post, but it can include overall skills aswell which is why i found it tough to rank them.

My top 4 would look like (probably in this order) -

1.Hakeem
2.Kareem
3.McHale
4.Duncan

Hakeem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22O2lApCBBs

He was very atheltic for a big man, which gave him an great advantage over almost everyone he went up against. Hakeem had the skills to post up any player in the league. If he got the ball down low, he was getting u 2 points. He would spin around you and then finish with a simple hook or gentle finger roll. Another part of his game that gave him great success, was his fade away jumper. He had the length to shoot over anyone, and his length combined with his athleticism helped him to get those shots off. And because of this he gave himself a lot of room between him and his defender.

Kareem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayAz8EpuNUM

His numbers speak for themselves, leading scorer of all time, has the most unstoppable shot in the history of the game. His skill level helped him to have the most impressive longevity of any player ever. He scored within the team concept, on insane efficiency and had a terrific arsenal of moves to score as the video above shows. And yet, some people still think he was all sky hook.

Kevin McHale:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXFIngeh6NY

McHale at 6'10, with that huge wingspan, scoring skillset, and defensive versatility was incredible. There was no wonder Ainge called him the black hole, because when ever he got the ball in the post, that was it, it wasn't coming back out. He had great balance to do what he did, and there are very few people who can be taught to gather themselves fluidly after keeping the ball so high. His use of dips and finger rolls require a great touch as well.

Tim Duncan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QURRXrYQ9yI

Similarly to McHale, Tim Duncan wasn't the strongest, fastest or most athletic playeron the court, but his amazing footwork for a man his size helped him to succeed. Duncan also has great length so that gives him a great advantage on both the offensive and defensive end. He's got at least one counter off of each move, he commands the mid-post as well as the low post and he is a great passer. One of my favourite parts of Duncan's game is his bank and hook shots, which are very hard to stop and are skills that are rarely seen in the NBA nowadays.

Some other guys that I think could be in the discussion (among the best) are:

Wilt (I don't think ive seen enough footage of him, but from what I have seen he had a 15-foot fade, the finger roll, and some solid footwork, but the thing that really stood out about Wilt was his passing from the low post)

Garnett (Garnett's low/mid post skills aren't that varied. Great turnaround fade and a turn-in jumper and some basic post fundamentals. He thrives as a passer in the high post and is a great perimeter shooter, runs a great pick-and-roll and is a good ball-handler)

Dirk (He's definitely one of the best mid-post scorers I've seen. His rainbow jumper, wrong-footed turnaround and the other stuff he does makes him essentially unguardable when he's posting up)

And from what ive researched Walton probably deserves a mention aswell. Of course there are other players too.

tldr...
Who do you think is the most skilled big man ever?

Skills in the post wise, u nailed it all the way! Those are the top four guys in my book. When u talk about bigs who are great defenders, great passers, great scorers, and great rebounders in one, u have guys like Duncan, Kareem, Hakeem, Wilt, KG, and The Admiral that u can include. In terms of total versatility on both sides of the ball, I think KG is number one. In terms of offensive versatility strictly, I would say Barkley, Webber, and KG are the best bigs. All had great scoring skillsets and were great passers to go with great handles for bigs. Guys like Derrick Coleman and Larry Johnson had these kind of goods if they could have stayed healthy. In terms of most uniquely skilled scoring skillset, I will give nod to Dirk. So there are many ways u can break it down.

Lamar Odumbb
03-03-2014, 12:17 AM
Vlade was more skilled than any of them.

He could shoot, pass like a PG, rebound, and even block shots.

Milbuck
03-03-2014, 12:24 AM
I certainly considered him too. I feel had he hit the league younger, would have been a terror. He had great size, a great shot, decent basic moves and was a great passer. Even in Portland in his mid-30s, you could tell.

This is what kills me. My dad was a huge Sabonis fan and showed me a lot of his pre-Blazers tape, and I'm convinced the guy would've been an absolute nightmare in the paint healthy and in his prime.

crawdaddy4ou
03-03-2014, 12:25 AM
Hakeem and it's not even close as far as skill.

Warfan
03-03-2014, 04:44 AM
:cheers:

Skills in the post wise, u nailed it all the way! Those are the top four guys in my book. When u talk about bigs who are great defenders, great passers, great scorers, and great rebounders in one, u have guys like Duncan, Kareem, Hakeem, Wilt, KG, and The Admiral that u can include. In terms of total versatility on both sides of the ball, I think KG is number one. In terms of offensive versatility strictly, I would say Barkley, Webber, and KG are the best bigs. All had great scoring skillsets and were great passers to go with great handles for bigs. Guys like Derrick Coleman and Larry Johnson had these kind of goods if they could have stayed healthy. In terms of most uniquely skilled scoring skillset, I will give nod to Dirk. So there are many ways u can break it down.

In terms of total versatility on both sides of the ball, I think KG is number one.
Certainly agree here.

In terms of offensive versatility strictly, I would say Barkley, Webber, and KG are the best bigs.
Yep, id personally choose Barkley

Guys like Derrick Coleman and Larry Johnson had these kind of goods if they could have stayed healthy
Yeah for sure. Coleman could post up, take you off the dribble and had great range. He was a combination of strength and finesse, great rebounder who you couldn't bully on the defensive end of the floor as well. As for Larry, after his back problems he lost a lot of speed, he was a shell of his former self after that, but had sounds fundamentals that allowed him to play below the rim. Definitely a shame.

Mr. Jabbar
03-03-2014, 04:48 AM
dwight

bdreason
03-03-2014, 04:50 AM
Kareem.

oarabbus
03-03-2014, 05:02 AM
One last note on McHale. Everybody talks about that mythical 50/40/90 benchmark, where a player shoots 50 percent from the field, 40 from three, and 90 from the line. There are only five or six guys who have ever done that. Well, there's only one person in NBA history who has ever shot 60 percent from the field and 80 percent from the line. It was McHale, and he did it twice (in '87 and '88).

Honestly, I think McHale was the most skilled ever. Yes, even more than Hakeem. Hakeem was the better player, but he was more athletic and stronger.

Hakeem's dream shake and post moves are incredible, but I honestly think McHale just outclasses him, period. Kareem too (I rank Kareem below Hakeem in terms of skill).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtgUOiWHJg

:48, 1:20-1:27, 1:45, 2:08 .... the dude is doing double fakes/shakes, spins, finger rolls, turnaround J, scoops, hooks, hesitations, step-throughs, reverses, "blind" shots (looking and stepping away from the hoop), just damn this guy was the ultimate skilled bigman, at least in terms of scoring.

The guy averaged 26/10 with 2 blocks on 60% FG and 84%FT one year... not to mention his averages are actually the EXACT same (except .5 less points) for the playoffs that year. 26ppg on 60%... more impressively 25ppg on 60% for the whole playoffs... only player to have averaged >25ppg on 60%.

Incredible.

Trentknicks
03-03-2014, 05:11 AM
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1381213_709623692399936_1495136957_n.jpg
What does posting a photo of yourself achieve?

oarabbus
03-03-2014, 05:14 AM

:roll: The font... the phone... it makes sense now

Warfan
03-03-2014, 06:10 AM
Honestly, I think McHale was the most skilled ever. Yes, even more than Hakeem. Hakeem was the better player, but he was more athletic and stronger.

Hakeem's dream shake and post moves are incredible, but I honestly think McHale just outclasses him, period. Kareem too (I rank Kareem below Hakeem in terms of skill).

:48, 1:20-1:27, 1:45, 2:08 .... the dude is doing double fakes/shakes, spins, finger rolls, turnaround J, scoops, hooks, hesitations, step-throughs, reverses, "blind" shots (looking and stepping away from the hoop), just damn this guy was the ultimate skilled bigman, at least in terms of scoring.

The guy averaged 26/10 with 2 blocks on 60% FG and 84%FT one year... not to mention his averages are actually the EXACT same (except .5 less points) for the playoffs that year. 26ppg on 60%... more impressively 25ppg on 60% for the whole playoffs... only player to have averaged >25ppg on 60%.

Incredible.

:applause: McHale was incredible that's why it's so tough for me to rank.

He was diverse; he could go in either direction and finish with either hand. Drop-step, spin, step-through, turnaround, he liked to shake into the lane for a fadeaway, which was very effective because of his ridiculously long arms and soft touch.

But for me im still going to go with Hakeem. The main reason is because he didn't work against nearly as much single coverage as Kevin. McHale was very, very skilled and his ability to get off a really reliable look in isolation was among the best ever, but I feel Hakeem was a better scoring threat and was more skilled. Some of it can be attributed to more separation because of his athleticism, some of it is that Hakeem had more reliable face-up game that opened up his scoring zones some to the mid and high post more effectively, and also it was because that he was better at the second counter move. But I guess as you said Hakeem did have the advantage in athleticism and strength so it definitely helped him...
Idk it's still really tough for me :lol

Still, IMO Hakeem is the more skilled post player. But you may certainly be right, I feel both have great cases, not gonna complain if u stick with McHale :cheers:

senelcoolidge
03-03-2014, 06:12 AM
:facepalm no mention of Wilt just shows how little people know here.

Warfan
03-03-2014, 06:37 AM
I mentioned him in the OP:confusedshrug: unless that was directed to other posters

Marlo_Stanfield
03-03-2014, 06:50 AM
this
this guy shits on every other big men in the skill department.

Marlo_Stanfield
03-03-2014, 06:52 AM

Incredible.
yet lets his player chuck the ball like mad fcks and has a 3 pt shooting fetish.
oh did i mention hes the worst coach ever:coleman:

Marlo_Stanfield
03-03-2014, 06:54 AM
while Wilt was definetly super skilled i think arvydays was more skilled easily.
Wilt comes next because of his insane agilty and versatility. then hakeem and kareem:coleman:

Harison
03-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Its between Dream and KG IMO, they have all the skills on both sides of the court. Dream might lag in passing/court vision area, but he excels at everything else.

Offensively Sabonis has a good case as the most skilled big ever, but we have to include defense too, and Sabas wasnt as great there as Dream, etc.

Warfan
03-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Its between Dream and KG IMO, they have all the skills on both sides of the court. Dream might lag in passing/court vision area, but he excels at everything else.

Offensively Sabonis has a good case as the most skilled big ever, but we have to include defense too, and Sabas wasnt as great there as Dream, etc.

I agree about KG when looking at both ends of the court, but I was mainly trying to focus on post skills. Probably should've made it clearer in the title.

oarabbus
03-03-2014, 02:59 PM
yet lets his player chuck the ball like mad fcks and has a 3 pt shooting fetish.
oh did i mention hes the worst coach ever:coleman:

Great player, garbage coach :lol

ralph_i_el
03-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Kevin love making his case for top-10
on pace to hit the most 3's ever in a season for a big man

aboss4real24
03-03-2014, 03:01 PM

thats 1 of my bit ches

Sakkreth
03-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Sabonis, it's not close.

Pointguard
03-03-2014, 04:23 PM
This.

Only one left out is Bob McAdoo. He had Dirk's range, even better accuracy, with a real good handle, and great foot movement. One of the few players to ever hit the 34ppg mark and frequently outscore Kareem in his prime.

Another guy that was almost there was the guy who got picked before Len Bias. He was similar to Duncan but played a deeper post game but couldn't stay healthy.

Sakkreth
03-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Kevin love making his case for top-10
on pace to hit the most 3's ever in a season for a big man

**** off this thread :facepalm

bizil
03-04-2014, 12:56 AM
This.

Only one left out is Bob McAdoo. He had Dirk's range, even better accuracy, with a real good handle, and great foot movement. One of the few players to ever hit the 34ppg mark and frequently outscore Kareem in his prime.

Another guy that was almost there was the guy who got picked before Len Bias. He was similar to Duncan but played a deeper post game but couldn't stay healthy.

Yep I forgot McAdoo good observation! He certainly fits the bill and then some!

Round Mound
03-04-2014, 01:29 AM
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/_vYhco_6yWQ/maxresdefault.jpg

No Mention?