PDA

View Full Version : What's with the ridiculous levels of salt by past players lately?

KirbyPls
03-04-2014, 07:18 PM
West, Kareem, Russell, the Boston homer/announcer, and now Dominique have spoken out lately downplaying this era and its players' accomplishments. Without inciting a huge debate from Wilt, West, and Russell stans, these comments reek of insecurity and pettiness. Those players were great in their day and time, and it's pathetic they can't simply give credit to today's era and players.

moe94
03-04-2014, 07:20 PM
This will end extremely well.

AnaheimLakers24
03-04-2014, 07:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LEmKh.png

MP.Trey
03-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Every era thinks theirs is the best.

KirbyPls
03-04-2014, 07:23 PM

:lol

moe94
03-04-2014, 07:24 PM
http://www.theprospect.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/nostalgia.jpg

ForeverHeat
03-04-2014, 07:24 PM
You have to understand, a lot of these guys got no real coverage and made nowhere near the amount of money these guys make today. They, unfortunately for them didnt have the opportunities some of the guys today have so they are naturally harboring a bit of animosity for that reason. This isnt in regards to guys like Wilkins (hes just attention seeking), but guys who were in the game early on like Russell and West.

KirbyPls
03-04-2014, 07:28 PM
You have to understand, a lot of these guys got no real coverage and made nowhere near the amount of money these guys make today. They, unfortunately for them didnt have the opportunities some of the guys today have so they are naturally harboring a bit of animosity for that reason. This isnt in regards to guys like Wilkins (hes just attention seeking), but guys who were in the game early on like Russell and West.

Good point, and I agree Nique is a self-seeking tool, but players as great as Russell and West do a disservice to themselves by these comments.

Trentknicks
03-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Probably just hard for a lot of them to step away from the spotlight and their opinion is still pretty sought after. Generally because most journalists love to start a fire and sell newspapers.

You contribute nothing to this forum, you piece of shit.

poido123
03-04-2014, 07:34 PM
West, Kareem, Russell, the Boston homer/announcer, and now Dominique have spoken out lately downplaying this era and its players' accomplishments. Without inciting a huge debate from Wilt, West, and Russell stans, these comments reek of insecurity and pettiness. Those players were great in their day and time, and it's pathetic they can't simply give credit to today's era and players.

gts
03-04-2014, 07:35 PM
The media overhypes everything today.. everything is hyped up to be the latest and greatest so it's good now and again to have somebody who's seen it all bring everything into perspective...

It's gotten so bad they make up theoretical timelines to create new spots for stats "the first time in the modern era!" or they pretend that the game stared in 1979

truth is it was done 20 times in the not so modern era but nobody wants to report that...lol

It's like Lebron's game last night, a great game and quite an accomplishment but the overreaction is crazy.. Fact is it's been done before actually it's been done quite a few times and its been done better...

The old timers aren't being salty, just realistic

JellyBean
03-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Typical old timer response. Those old dudes, some not all, have a hard time of letting go of the good old days.

DuMa
03-04-2014, 07:36 PM
every era is different. that is why it is ridiculous to compare eras. If you live by that statement, you will have a much better time watching basketball

poido123
03-04-2014, 07:38 PM

It isn't that.

They see this league of superstars as boys not men with bucketloads of money.

Basically spoilt softies who play in an entertainment league and not the tough, physical style of basketball that was played before them.

HoopsFanNumero1
03-04-2014, 07:39 PM
The media overhypes everything today.. everything is hyped up to be the latest and greatest so it's good now and again to have somebody who's seen it all bring everything into perspective...

It's gotten so bad they make up theoretical timelines to create new spots for stats "the first time in the modern era!" or they pretend that the game stared in 1979

truth is it was done 20 times in the not so modern era but nobody wants to report that...lol

It's like Lebron's game last night, a great game and quite an accomplishment but the overreaction is crazy.. Fact is it's been done before actually it's been done quite a few times and its been done better...

The old timers aren't be salty, just realistic

How was he not being salty? He was acting like Lebron's performance wasn't impressive but Al Jefferson's was. And then ending it by implying his era was superior.

inclinerator
03-04-2014, 07:46 PM
larry bird and maybe magic probably the most humble legends

gts
03-04-2014, 07:47 PM
How was he not being salty? He was acting like Lebron's performance wasn't impressive but Al Jefferson's was. And then ending it by implying his era was superior.
His era was arguably better... the 80's early 90's was the best combination of everything we love about the NBA today

secondly players have scored more than 60 points 64 times... like I said it's a great accomplishment but it's nothing new by any stretch..

Don't know what he said about Jefferson I'd have to see a quote

HoopsFanNumero1
03-04-2014, 07:52 PM
His era was arguably better... the 80's early 90's was the best combination of everything we love about the NBA today

secondly players have scored more than 60 points 64 times... like I said it's a great accomplishment but it's nothing new by any stretch..

Don't know what he said about Jefferson I'd have to see a quote

Here are all the tweets:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1981202-dominique-wilkins-critical-of-lebron-james-61-point-outburst-against-bobcats

I don't know. Him saying he can drop 40 just screams insecurity to me.

gts
03-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Here are all the tweets:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1981202-dominique-wilkins-critical-of-lebron-james-61-point-outburst-against-bobcats

That's what all the noise is over? :lol fans have become so thin skined

I don't take that as being salty at all, he said more than once about how hot Lebron was.. He was knocking the Bobcats, Lebron fans are the ones getting salty if they take that as him knocking Lebron's game

In reality this is no different than the critique of Wilt's 100 we've heard a thousand time, same thing, great game no defense was played

BTW Jefferson did have a really nice game nothing wrong trying to point that out amidst all the noise.. any other night and that would have been to go to topic for the media

WallIn
03-04-2014, 08:22 PM
From another point of view:

- If NBA records and analyses every move of a scrub (a gay yes, but a scrub nonetheless)...
- Moves towards advertised, long-sleeved shirts a'la soccer (wtf?:biggums: )...
- Supports creating an European Division of NBA (how the fk would that work anyway?)

then you know that it's moving in the wrong direction.

As for Wilkins, I will just come to a conclusion he was on meth while saying that stuff. Just horrible.

HoopsFanNumero1
03-04-2014, 08:28 PM
That's what all the noise is over? :lol fans have become so thin skined

I don't take that as being salty at all, he said more than once about how hot Lebron was.. He was knocking the Bobcats, Lebron fans are the ones getting salty if they take that as him knocking Lebron's game

In reality this is no different than the critique of Wilt's 100 we've heard a thousand time, same thing, great game no defense was played

BTW Jefferson did have a really nice game nothing wrong trying to point that out amidst all the noise.. any other night and that would have been to go to topic for the media

You don't think he's even a little attention-hungry? Like this tweet

Bron is a freakish athlete, yes, no doubt. I could say I was too in my prime, but averaging 30 then against the greats like Bird, MJ, King AND having to guard them on the other side was an all out war. You were dogged by halftime and had to pick it up & do it again the 2nd half

He just sounds like another one of those "Back in my days" guys. And yes, Big Al had a nice game but it's obvious why it wasn't being talked about. He got thoroughly outplayed.

miggyme1
03-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Here are all the tweets:

that screams insecurity??? wtf??

i guess if i say i can eat two double cheeseburgers i guess that mean im insecure as well?smh

u kids gotta learn what confidence is....damn

sportjames23
03-04-2014, 11:59 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ripthekik
03-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Easy. Like I've always said. No legends respect Lebron. No legends ever had to team up and drop their dignity like he did. He'll never earn the respect of past legends and old fans (notice how his fans are teens who's never paid their own bills before?) by winning with a stacked team on an easy route.

No legends respect this guy. He's a pebble.

HoopsFanNumero1
03-05-2014, 12:04 AM
that screams insecurity??? wtf??

i guess if i say i can eat two double cheeseburgers i guess that mean im insecure as well?smh

u kids gotta learn what confidence is....damn

Yeah... that made no sense.

livinglegend
03-05-2014, 12:05 AM
Easy. Like I've always said. No legends respect Lebron. No legends ever had to team up and drop their dignity like he did. He'll never earn the respect of past legends and old fans (notice how his fans are teens who's never paid their own bills before?) by winning with a stacked team on an easy route.

No legends respect this guy. He's a pebble.

They are all jealous because he will be the GOAT!

#DEALWITHIT!

ripthekik
03-05-2014, 12:10 AM
They are all jealous because he will be the GOAT!

#DEALWITHIT!
Lol.. none of those guys said anything when MJ was rising. Hell, none of them had anything bad to say about Kobe. But when it comes to Lebron??

Nobody respects this guy. Everyone sees through his act except you kids..

215Philly
03-05-2014, 12:12 AM
Lol.. none of those guys said anything when MJ was rising. Hell, none of them had anything bad to say about Kobe. But when it comes to Lebron??

You try waaaay too hard to hate on him. Nobody respects you, do you care?

livinglegend
03-05-2014, 12:13 AM

Kobe? lol
Does any1 say anything about Nick Young? No. They dont talk about irrelevant players.

As far as Jordan is concerned, we didnt have twitter, facebook, etc. at that time.

ripthekik
03-05-2014, 12:15 AM
Kobe? lol
Does any1 say anything about Nick Young? No. They dont talk about irrelevant players.

As far as Jordan is concerned, we didnt have twitter, facebook, etc. at that time.
Look at those legends talking about kobe and all you have are positives. Look at what they say about lebron, and it's things like "we'll never team up with each other like he did, we'll never take the easy path, he's a pebble on rushmore, etc etc"

Wipe the crap off your face.. legends have been disrespecting lebron from decision day 1. I had an old thread of top 10 GOAT's quotes disrespecting him. The only respect lebron will win is from teens who havent gone through puberty.

DirkNowitzki41
03-05-2014, 12:30 AM
because lebron is better than them and their shitty weak ass era. its hilarious how hard they are trying to be relevant :oldlol:

JT123
03-05-2014, 12:34 AM

Plenty of legends had bad things to say about Jordan, the media just filtered them out. Oscar, Wilt, and several others have called Jordan overrated and not the best ever. You obviously just started watching basketball. :oldlol:

edrick
03-05-2014, 12:36 AM
They all about to die soon, of course they're salty as ****.

ripthekik
03-05-2014, 12:42 AM
They all about to die soon, of course they're salty as ****.
Is this what you would say about your grandfather too?

Kids today have no respect for the elders. The men who are much wiser and experienced in life than them. You kids have a lot to learn.. just wait til you get your first paycheck..

edrick
03-05-2014, 12:43 AM
Is this what you would say about your grandfather too?

Kids today have no respect for the elders. The men who are much wiser and experienced in life than them. You kids have a lot to learn.. just wait til you get your first paycheck..

Both dead before I was born. What the **** does that have to do with anything though?

Wasn't really disrespecting them. I would be salty too if I was near the end. lol

Indian guy
03-05-2014, 03:27 AM
It's not really a recent phenomena. We just hear more from old timers now because of how the media's changed(internet/social media). Everybody gets to have a very accessible voice now. But really, past players have been shitting on anything current since the dawn of the game. Wilt, in A View From Above (1991), completely shitted on the late 80's and early 90's level of play in the NBA. Calling it a 'hotdog' league with no D, and how the 60's were far better. Bird heavily criticized 90's NBA in Bird Watching (1999). MJ has never really had anything good to say about the NBA since retiring. Barkley has been very similar. I remember a GP and Mourning interview from the mid 00's, and both couldn't stop gushing about how much better it used to be.

It's just human nature. Everybody likes to think their time was the 'best'. And anything good that happens after them threatens their own era and standing in the game, and they just can't let that happen.

oarabbus
03-05-2014, 04:11 AM
League is superior to when they played, so they mad.

http://grantland.com/features/packing-paint-nba-defensive-strategy-forcing-coaches-rethink-their-offense/

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/53534/where-have-all-the-gunners-gone

The second one especially is great. The talent pool is larger, and the game has gotten more complex. People can b1tch and moan about no handchecking but the NBA is the most complex and the level of play is the highest it's ever been. Same with the NFL.

JebronLames
03-05-2014, 04:16 AM

http://grantland.com/features/packing-paint-nba-defensive-strategy-forcing-coaches-rethink-their-offense/

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/53534/where-have-all-the-gunners-gone

The second one especially is great. The talent pool is larger, and the game has gotten more complex. People can b1tch and moan about no handchecking but the NBA is the most complex and the level of play is the highest it's ever been. Same with the NFL.
:applause:

Byobob
03-05-2014, 05:14 AM
It's not really a recent phenomena. We just hear more from old timers now because of how the media's changed(internet/social media). Everybody gets to have a very accessible voice now. But really, past players have been shitting on anything current since the dawn of the game. Wilt, in A View From Above (1991), completely shitted on the late 80's and early 90's level of play in the NBA. Calling it a 'hotdog' league with no D, and how the 60's were far better. Bird heavily criticized 90's NBA in Bird Watching (1999). MJ has never really had anything good to say about the NBA since retiring. Barkley has been very similar. I remember a GP and Mourning interview from the mid 00's, and both couldn't stop gushing about how much better it used to be.

It's just human nature. Everybody likes to think their time was the 'best'. And anything good that happens after them threatens their own era and standing in the game, and they just can't let that happen.

First post that actually makes sense..

DonDadda59
03-05-2014, 06:08 AM

Such absolute bullshit, especially the second article. Where have all the gunners gone? F*cking injured, sitting at home watching the soft ass NBA games (Even Kobe said the same thing West did) :oldlol:

For the record, there's 20 players averaging at least 20 PPG this season (not counting Wade). Of those 20, 7 are shorter than 6'5" (compared to 1 of the 18 players with 20PPG in '93-'94). And sure fire 20 PPG guys like Kobe and Rose are out due to injury. 'Were have all the gunners gone' :lol

And the defense is so complex that a guy with a streaky jumpshot is putting up 27-28 PPG on 58% FG :lol

Anybody ever stop to consider that guys who've been around basketball for longer than most posters here have been alive are just you know... giving their honest opinion? Especially a guy like Jerry West who has proven to be a basketball genius both on and off the court. He says the NBA is the weakest he's ever seen it.

I was watching the Heat-Rockets jump shooting exhibition and after making a block, the birdman did a harmless, non offensive gesture. Refs stopped the game, issued a technical. That's as weak as it gets. Players aren't even allowed to show even the slightest bit of emotion. Every player now wants to be buddy-buddy and play with their friends instead of going out there and doing their best to destroy the competition and prove they're the best. The whole culture of the league- from the players to the reffing, is easily at its softest and least competitive, ever.

Can you imagine these iconic moments/rituals causing a stoppage in the game because the league was afraid someone's feelings might get hurt? :facepalm

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/4669507/jordan-finger-wag-o.gif

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1273045/reggie-miller-choke-o.gif

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/569744/shawn-kemp-lister-blister-o.gif

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/2740003/shaq-kobe-alley-oop-o.gif

sportjames23
03-05-2014, 06:18 AM
DonDadda just slayed a whole gang of fools in this thread. :bowdown:

MichaelCorleone
03-05-2014, 06:21 AM
Trying to stay relevant by leeching on to Lebron's IMMENSE popularity.

Bunch of has-been and never-was.:facepalm

SHAQisGOAT
03-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Even funnier is how salty people(stans) get after reading their comments :oldlol:

Such absolute bullshit, especially the second article. Where have all the gunners gone? F*cking injured, sitting at home watching the soft ass NBA games (Even Kobe said the same thing West did) :oldlol:

For the record, there's 20 players averaging at least 20 PPG this season (not counting Wade). Of those 20, 7 are shorter than 6'5" (compared to 1 of the 18 players with 20PPG in '93-'94). And sure fire 20 PPG guys like Kobe and Rose are out due to injury. 'Were have all the gunners gone' :lol

And the defense is so complex that a guy with a streaky jumpshot is putting up 27-28 PPG on 58% FG :lol

Anybody ever stop to consider that guys who've been around basketball for longer than most posters here have been alive are just you know... giving their honest opinion? Especially a guy like Jerry West who has proven to be a basketball genius both on and off the court. He says the NBA is the weakest he's ever seen it.

I was watching the Heat-Rockets jump shooting exhibition and after making a block, the birdman did a harmless, non offensive gesture. Refs stopped the game, issued a technical. That's as weak as it gets. Players aren't even allowed to show even the slightest bit of emotion. Every player now wants to be buddy-buddy and play with their friends instead of going out there and doing their best to destroy the competition and prove they're the best. The whole culture of the league- from the players to the reffing, is easily at its softest and least competitive, ever.

Can you imagine these iconic moments/rituals causing a stoppage in the game because the league was afraid someone's feelings might get hurt? :facepalm

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/4669507/jordan-finger-wag-o.gif

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1273045/reggie-miller-choke-o.gif

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/569744/shawn-kemp-lister-blister-o.gif

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/2740003/shaq-kobe-alley-oop-o.gif

:applause:

ArbitraryWater
03-05-2014, 09:48 AM
larry bird and maybe magic probably the most humble legends

Thats funny cause I just saw a couple of rankings had Bird as most arrogant player ever