Jlamb47
03-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Best Coach in NBA

MichaelCorleone
03-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Nice read.:cheers:

Jailblazers7
03-05-2014, 10:17 AM
I really would like to see the hockey assist at least tracked in the NBA. Doesn't have to be an official stat that appears in the box score but it would be awesome to see who leads the league, what team gets the most, etc.

nvm - I see that they actually do track secondary assists on nba.com

jzek
03-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Best Coach in NBA

Agree. That move when he took out Duncan to let the Heat win was top-notch :bowdown:

Jlamb47
03-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Agree. That move when he took out Duncan to let the Heat win was top-notch :bowdown:
your a NFL fan

rmt
03-05-2014, 10:39 AM
So much for the "system" that some posters think is responsible for the success in SA. That interview threw that all out the window.

IMO, the offense in SA is miles ahead of what it used to be back in the day when they won championships. The reason is the type of (non-big 3) players they have now who are good passers - Diaw and Splitter. Before (04-08), their role players were basically spot-up 3 point shooters. Now, Diaw, Leonard, etc can create - not just stand there waiting for one of the big 3 to penetrate and get a 3 pt opportunity. Of course, part of that is that Duncan was more dominant and could create more opportunities. Now that he and Manu are old, they've got to rely more on ball movement.

SAS offense (when clicking) is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, as we saw in the Finals, pressure from the outstanding Heat perimeter defense (and current OKC) disrupts all that fluidity.

Also, wanted to add, that the information (stats) that is available to current day players is another reason why it's so difficult to compare players from different eras. In the old days, that information just wasn't available.

I<3NBA
03-05-2014, 11:01 AM
you want to penetrate because if you don't, you might not reach deep enough.

Odinn
03-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Basically it's just about offense-defense balance. The Spurs were one of the best defensive side (if not the best) in the league, with good offense. Now, they are one of the best offensive teams with good defense. Overall, I'd take the defensive Spurs tho. Had more star power which is more important than any other role players.

This kinda offense was its closest to win it all last season. But that's it. The Spurs lack firepower in reality. That's why they rely on their system this much.

Ramza
03-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Is he good?

Uncle Drew
03-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Best coach ever
Agreed.

Marcus Thornton
03-05-2014, 04:42 PM
That's a good philosophy, but what happens when you face a defense that knows how to recover well during rotations?

SCdac
03-05-2014, 05:34 PM
[quote]

leMVP
03-05-2014, 05:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5xM8Z618zI

That speech.

SCdac
03-05-2014, 06:01 PM
So much for the "system" that some posters think is responsible for the success in SA. That interview threw that all out the window.

I didn't take that away from the interview at all, not sure how you did. Anybody who watches basketball knows the coach can only do so much, yet also knows the Spurs have one of the best playbooks in the league and run play after play in every game. They definitely have a winning system of plays/patterns/tendencies and it's by design. Sometimes "letting the players play" is also by design.

Pop was merely saying that it's impossible and undesirable to micromanage every single shot, every dribble, every breath, every move... and that you have to let the plays blossom and have to let the players improvise when need be. That's what the system is about, penetrate and kick, look for an opening. Sometimes running the play exploits the opponent in an unpredictable way, Spurs rightly adapt to that and look for the best bucket.

A good example of something that's not the system: Patty Mills pulls up for a transition three, obviously that wasn't the "system"... but maybe the defensive sequences, positioning, and rotations to force the turnover were part of a practiced system.

Having said that, I agree with other stuff you say. The Spurs team from 2011-2013 has been probably the deepest they've ever been, and a big part of that is Boris Diaw who is basically a point-forward. No doubt the Spurs system has evolved, but I agree that it's largely age-related and reduction of superstar impact from Duncan.

dunksby
03-05-2014, 06:41 PM
I really would like to see the hockey assist at least tracked in the NBA. Doesn't have to be an official stat that appears in the box score but it would be awesome to see who leads the league, what team gets the most, etc.

nvm - I see that they actually do track secondary assists on nba.com
The only non-PG in the top 25 is LeBron with 1.4 secondary assists per game.

FKAri
03-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Love this guys brutal honesty and rugged leadership. He knows what his players need to hear... or not hear.

dont...
let...
go..
the...
rope

20Four
03-05-2014, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE]

Sarcastic
03-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Mike Woodson on his offensive philosophy:

"Give the ball to Melo, and go stand in the corner"