PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Popovich is EASILY the best coach of all time.

brandonislegend
03-06-2014, 11:49 PM
The truth.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-06-2014, 11:50 PM
Because he shuts down a superstar who can't shoot? Nah.

gts
03-06-2014, 11:51 PM
He's one of the best... Last years finals kinda took some of that shine off

oarabbus
03-06-2014, 11:52 PM

Dunno why u mad

Popovich :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Did the most with the least (compared to PJax)

brandonislegend
03-06-2014, 11:52 PM
Dude doesn't even need his best 4 players to win games against other "elite" teams :lol

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Dunno why u mad

Popovich :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Did the most with the least (compared to PJax)

Why would I be mad? I enjoy seeing Lebron get exposed :confusedshrug:

Clyde
03-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Why would I be mad? I enjoy seeing Lebron get exposed :confusedshrug:

5 post before we get off topic and bring up Lebron.

Fantastic:facepalm

Rose'sACL
03-06-2014, 11:54 PM
He's one of the best... Last years finals kinda took some of that shine off
what? he was great in last year's finals and all of the playoffs. He made the right decision to have players who can defend the 3 as it was clear heat would shoot the 3. duncan could have gotten the rebound but think if heat hit the first 3.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-06-2014, 11:59 PM
5 post before we get off topic and bring up Lebron.

Fantastic:facepalm

Read in context, you dumb fvck.

Marlo_Stanfield
03-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Read the context of my reply, you dumb fvck.
you are EASILY the worst poster right now.
lebron is in your head and he never paid rent:facepalm

JohnFreeman
03-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Pjax? Riley? Auerbach?

WWRWestbrookDo?
03-07-2014, 12:04 AM
The truth.

He's the best coach in aNY sport

I've felt that way for a very long time.

Clyde
03-07-2014, 12:05 AM
Read in context, you dumb fvck.

Contribute something relevant to the conversation

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-07-2014, 12:05 AM
you are EASILY the worst poster right now.
lebron is in your head and he never paid rent:facepalm

Anybody catch this mental midget GRASPING onto life in the Heat GT? :oldlol:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-07-2014, 12:06 AM
Contribute something relevant to the conversation

Not better than PJax.

/thread

aboss4real24
03-07-2014, 12:08 AM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Ray-Allen-Hits-Three-to-Force-OT-Game-6-NBA-Finals.gif

Clyde
03-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Not better than PJax.

/thread

Phil is obviously great, but the talent on his teams has been by far better than any other coach.

It's a tough subject, Phil, Red, Pat, Pop.....it's hard to say one's better than the other

kamil
03-07-2014, 12:09 AM

LOL.

I've got Pops at second best of all time, not far behind Phil Jackson.

sportjames23
03-07-2014, 12:17 AM
The truth.

Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson and Pat Riley sai "Hi".

Clyde
03-07-2014, 12:20 AM
Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson and Pat Riley sai "Hi".

Pat stole Stan Van Gundy's thunder.

Still in the conversation as one of the best though

Marlo_Stanfield
03-07-2014, 12:22 AM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Ray-Allen-Hits-Three-to-Force-OT-Game-6-NBA-Finals.gif
Fresh Kid aka Fresh Shit is back:facepalm :facepalm

sportjames23
03-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Pat stole Stan Van Gundy's thunder.

Still in the conversation as one of the best though

LOL, Pat put Stan in position to win and he couldn't do it. The Godfather took the reigns back and got Miami dat ring.

red1
03-07-2014, 12:24 AM
LOL.

I've got Pops at second best of all time, not far behind Phil Jackson.
pops :oldlol:

gts
03-07-2014, 12:25 AM
Phil is obviously great, but the talent on his teams has been by far better than any other coach.

It's a tough subject, Phil, Red, Pat, Pop.....it's hard to say one's better than the other

You probably got them in the right order there, maybe move pops in front of riles..

a bit hard for me to gauge pops and red because they've been/were with one team for their careers and in pops case with sort of the same squad with tweeks but he never made those strong back to back runs, always took at least a couple years to get back on track after a title run.. not saying you need to win back to back but at least make that second trip to the finals... but it could be pops years to break through that barrier.

red... he was the gm coach head scout with resources no one else really had, great coach obviously took advantage of what he had but he was working with a stacked deck... still at least the second best ever

Phil did it with two different teams and essentially 3 different lineups, the last a ground up rebuild he nurtured from it's infancy so to speak.

Riles the same and add in the success in NY but even being a lakers fan i'll admit he was given a championship team to work with, he had no place to go but up... Riles true master strokes have been in Miami

INDI
03-07-2014, 01:54 AM
The truth.

Totally agree. I've been saying this for at least 5 seasons. He runs a system that can thrive without their top players. I can see them getting a top 4 seed in the west even if duncan and parker missed the entire season.

They have been contenders since 1999. Think about that for a sec.

Cold soul
03-07-2014, 03:09 AM
One of the greatest without a doubt. But last years finals hurts him somewhat especially game 6 epic failure and choke job.

brandonislegend
03-07-2014, 03:29 AM

Did you want Pop to get out of his chair and walk over and guard him?

sportjames23
03-07-2014, 04:10 AM
No back to back titles, never coached a team without Duncan (I don't think).

Granted, the other three coaches had talented teams, so you can't penalize Pop for that, but I think he tends to get overrated, especially when dudes call him the GOAT coach.

toxicxr6
03-07-2014, 05:10 AM
No back to back titles, never coached a team without Duncan (I don't think).

Granted, the other three coaches had talented teams, so you can't penalize Pop for that, but I think he tends to get overrated, especially when dudes call him the GOAT coach.

Never coached a team without Duncan? Better off not thinking then.....

K.Koscik
03-07-2014, 06:04 AM
Popovich is the greatest out of bounds play designer I can think of, and while he does run a beautiful offense that very well could be the best of all time, the truth is he is not the best.

X's and O's wise Pop might be that guy, but he's never been able to win two in a row despite being "a contender since 1999" as someone mentioned. During that time, Phil Jackson won a 3 peat and a repeat with two totally different Lakers teams. He has 11 NBA championship wins to Pop's 4.

The two's careers started at the same time. Phil Jackson entered the NBA in 1987 as an assistant coach under doug collins. Pop entered on the Spurs as an AC under larry brown. In 1992 Phil Jackson was working on a repeat and Popovich was in Golden State after having had gotten fired along with the rest of the staff in SA. In 94 Pjax had the first threepeat in 30 years under his belt and Popovich returned to SA as the general manager. In 1998, Phil Jackson had just finished his second threepeat in 8 years with Jordan in Chicago and left to Los Angeles to coach. Meanwhile, Pop made himself head coach of the spurs 18 games into the season.

Popovich drafts Duncan with the #1 overall pick after David Robinson broke his leg and then in his first full season as head coach Spurs beat the Lakers coached by Pjax in his first season with LA. Then, Lakers beat the Spurs on their repeat chance and proceed to win a threepeat and the Spurs get the win in 2003(3 rings for PJ 2 for Pop by 2002) and then 2004 happened and the Lakers got blown up (but not before spoiling the Spurs repeat hopes, again). After that they both won 2 more impressive titles each. The Spurs lost their shots at repeats again though first to the Mavs in 2006 and then in 2008 to Kobe and the Lakers. Those Lakers lost in the finals that year but won a repeat in 2009 and 2010.

Every time Phil Jackson was given a championship caliber squad, he delivered multiple championships in dominant fashion. 3 out of those 4 sequences were threepeats with 3 finals in a row for a chance at a 4th. Popovich's Spurs never made the finals twice. His basketball is pretty but pro sports are about results, and Phil Jackson has the results. There is no luck in 11 pro sport championships.

sportjames23
03-07-2014, 06:15 AM
Never coached a team without Duncan? Better off not thinking then.....

http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/popovgr99c.html

Ooh, he coached the Spurs the year before they drafted Duncan. Which happened to be the year Robinson missed the season due to injury.

His record: 17-47.

If he was GOAT, he should've done better than that.

K.Koscik
03-07-2014, 06:25 AM

I don't know man.

Duncan is a top 10 player of all time. With Pop as the GM. The spurs sucked. He makes himself head coach and the spurs tank and draft Tim Duncan and immediately become a contender for Tim Duncan's entire career. Not the entire time Popovich was on the Spurs, but a decade after.

MJ, Shaq and Kobe, and Kobe all had trouble getting over the hump before Phil Jackson took over. Afterwards they were all finals mvps of multiple championships in a row.

The argument of who benefited more from talent is not necessarily in popovich's favor. It isn't as if Popovich was hugely instrumental in Duncan's development, he just drafted the obvious can't miss prospect, watched him become Finals MVP his rookie year, and then enjoyed 4 championships with him.

SexSymbol
03-07-2014, 07:19 AM
Pjax Auerbach Riley, all of them have 10+- rings each as a coach/gm, Pop can't be in the top 3, specially not after last years finals blunder

Odinn
03-07-2014, 07:25 AM
Although he's among P-Jax, Riley, Auerbach and Daly, he destroyed his case for being the best ever in 2013 NBA Finals. He doesn't have a case any more. If you are that good, you are not allowed to make that kinda mistake.

Y2ktors
03-07-2014, 10:17 AM
False. He's not in the category with Phil, Red, Riley nor Daly.

Clyde
03-07-2014, 10:43 AM
False. He's not in the category with Phil, Red, Riley nor Daly.

Chuck???...like from the Pistons, etc.???

He's no where near Riley, Phil, Red or Pop

Y2ktors
03-07-2014, 12:42 PM
:applause:
Chuck???...like from the Pistons, etc.???

He's no where near Riley, Phil, Red or Pop
You mean the Chuck whose teams are the only teams who can truthfully say that they beat Bird, Magic AND Jordan?

If so, then yes that Chuck.

Clyde
03-07-2014, 01:02 PM
:applause:
You mean the Chuck whose teams are the only teams who can truthfully say that they beat Bird, Magic AND Jordan?

If so, then yes that Chuck.

Made 3 finals, won 2.

Lost in the first round 6 times.

He's good, but not that good.

Larry Brown is a better coach than Chuck Daly