PDA

View Full Version : Kobe & Duncan Duo

HOoopCityJones
03-07-2014, 04:48 AM
How many rings would they win together under Pop?

Could they surpass Shaq and Kobe? :confusedshrug:

livingby3's
03-07-2014, 04:49 AM
Kobe not gonna Kobe under Pops thats for sure. But he's a hardworker and have massive skills. He will still develop well. I say 4

zass
03-07-2014, 04:51 AM
with only Kobe being the Alpha, this duo can sustain longer.
Thus they may accomplish more then Shaq/Kobe duo. But how many more chips will they have together is beyond me.

HOoopCityJones
03-07-2014, 04:52 AM
I say they win 9 rings.

ImKobe
03-07-2014, 05:59 AM
Duncan is totally fine playing 2nd fiddle on offense, I think him & Kobe would be great together, much better than Shaq/Kobe because they would have less drama.

JohnFreeman
03-07-2014, 06:02 AM
Duncan can take care of the offense and defense, and Kobe can have all the ego

CJ Mustard
03-07-2014, 06:26 AM
Duncan can take care of the offense and defense, and Kobe can have all the ego

Bandito
03-07-2014, 06:45 AM

No feud over hard work and alphaness so yes I can see this team win way more than 3 rings. I woukd say not 1 not 2 not 3....

SexSymbol
03-07-2014, 07:37 AM
MAYBE 1.
Shaq and Kobe fueled each other, I don't see how Kobe would be fueled by Duncan.

PsychoBe
03-07-2014, 07:39 AM
who would their competition be? a prime shaq without an elite perimeter player? the no defense sacramento kings that kobe repeatedly destroyed? the portland jailblazers? kobe and duncan would be a very, very formidable duo and longevity wise it wouldn't be close.

HOoopCityJones
03-07-2014, 10:43 AM
LOL

Quickening
03-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Depends who Shaq teams up with... prime Shaq with any elite second option is going to win titles during his peak stretch.

Akrazotile
03-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Well, its def a downgrade for Duncan from Tony and Manu. And then if u add the possibility that Shaq would play with a better fit like a Ray or a Reggie, I think itd be a wrap on the "Kobe-led" Spurs.

Also, not only is Kobe a downgrade, but if Fisher doesnt come in the deal he's all but worthless.

Jlamb47
03-07-2014, 10:59 AM
4-5 rings
that would be crazy good tho
great defense and scoring

HOoopCityJones
03-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Well, its def a downgrade for Duncan from Tony and Manu. And then if u add the possibility that Shaq would play with a better fit like a Ray or a Reggie, I think itd be a wrap on the "Kobe-led" Spurs.

Also, not only is Kobe a downgrade, but if Fisher doesnt come in the deal he's all but worthless.

You don't know shit :oldlol:

Demitri98
03-07-2014, 11:12 AM
7 rings and Kobe is top 5 all-time with several more MVPs.

FMVP is a split between them. I say Kobe 4 and Duncan 3. Duncan in the early years, Kobe later.

D-FENS
03-07-2014, 12:31 PM

What's this confused shrug business about?
You just sitting at home wondering things, then you get confused about it? You can't come up with your own answer? I'm guessing you're waiting to hear others opinions before forming your own so you can lean to the popular side.

Kids these days are terrible, no brains, no ambition
[Charles Barkley]TURRIBLE[/Charles Barkley]

Get an education and a personality you bum

My answer, no, Kobe would sabotage any relationship to be the alpha

scm5
03-07-2014, 01:07 PM
7 rings and Kobe is top 5 all-time with several more MVPs.

FMVP is a split between them. I say Kobe 4 and Duncan 3. Duncan in the early years, Kobe later.

I agree with this. 7 would be a pretty safe guess imo.

99-05': Tim Duncan was incredible, especially in the playoffs. Solid offensively, game changer defensively. Coincidentally, Kobe from 99-03' was at his peak level of defensive intensity. I think they could have easily won 3 during this time period since Kobe/Shaq/Duncan combined for 6 out of the 7 titles during these seasons. I think Duncan takes FMVP in 02' and 03' and Kobe takes MVP in 01' just going off of how they performed during the playoffs during those seasons. I think 3 is a conservative number for this time period since you make Shaq less of a factor by taking away Kobe.

06-07': Kobe's peak years offensively. During these years, Duncan's defense alone would have made the duo contenders with the type of offense Kobe was capable of putting up. I think they win both 06' and 07' since Duncan won in 07' and they are much less likely to choke in the Finals than the Mavs. 06' FMVP would most likely belong to Kobe and 07' belong to Duncan.

08'-10': Kobe's mature years. Despite Duncan being an obvious upgrade over Pau, I think the duo would still only take 2 out of the 3 rings during these years. The Celtics were incredible defensively and Pau was playing at a very high level himself. Kobe would still win FMVP both seasons.

Milbuck
03-07-2014, 01:16 PM
I honestly believe that Kobe under Pop would be an even better player than he is today, with Phil's coaching. I think Kobe would be a much more dominant off-ball player, more cooperative with his teammates, and he would be able to use his vast BBIQ in the right way. I don't think we'd see as many of those insane scoring bursts (9 straight 40+ point games, 4 straight 50+ games, 81, etc.), but I think he would be a much more complete basketball player.

The interesting thing is that Pop's teams are always maximized on an individual basis, so Kobe's prime would not be wasted the way it was with LA. We haven't seen peak Kobe with a good roster...and now we're talking about a scenario that includes peak Kobe + prime Duncan in a Pop system? That's just absurd.

We already know what Duncan has become with Pop - the GOAT PF.

I think this duo + Pop could surpass Kobe-Shaq quite easily. Maybe not in peak play considering how incredible Kobe-Shaq was in 2001, but if you throw in collective accolades and longevity, I see them being the best duo ever.

5 rings easily, maybe 6-7.

HOoopCityJones
03-07-2014, 01:21 PM
You just sitting at home wondering things, then you get confused about it? You can't come up with your own answer? I'm guessing you're waiting to hear others opinions before forming your own so you can lean to the popular side.

Wtf, Who phucked your wife? :lol

scm5
03-07-2014, 01:23 PM
I honestly believe that Kobe under Pop would be an even better player than he is today, with Phil's coaching. I think Kobe would be a much more dominant off-ball player, more cooperative with his teammates, and he would be able to use his vast BBIQ in the right way. I don't think we'd see as many of those insane scoring bursts (9 straight 40+ point games, 4 straight 50+ games, 81, etc.), but I think he would be a much more complete basketball player.

The interesting thing is that Pop's teams are always maximized on an individual basis, so Kobe's prime would not be wasted the way it was with LA. We haven't seen peak Kobe with a good roster...and now we're talking about a scenario that includes peak Kobe + prime Duncan in a Pop system? That's just absurd.

We already know what Duncan has become with Pop - the GOAT PF.

I think this duo + Pop could surpass Kobe-Shaq quite easily. Maybe not in peak play considering how incredible Kobe-Shaq was in 2001, but if you throw in collective accolades and longevity, I see them being the best duo ever.

5 rings easily, maybe 6-7.

I agree, Pop's style is to maximize a player's talent in the most efficient way possible whereas Phil's style is more catered towards letting his star players do whatever they want and making the pieces fit around them.

moe94
03-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Dude is trippin. :oldlol:

HOoopCityJones
03-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Dude is trippin. :oldlol:

Ikr?

How many rings you got for a Kobe and Duncan duo? The key is that Pop is coaching imo.

D-FENS
03-07-2014, 01:40 PM

Me

It's a stupid question asked by a kid.

Here's mine: How many championships for Wilt if you combine him with Maurice Stokes, Dr J, Walt Frazier and Dennis Johnson in this era?

NO one know numbnuts, just appreciate te fact that you are alive and able to watch how great Tim Duncan is

moe94
03-07-2014, 01:41 PM
^^^

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypothetical

HOoopCityJones
03-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Me

It's a stupid question asked by a kid.

Here's mine: How many championships for Wilt if you combine him with Maurice Stokes, Dr J, Walt Frazier and Dennis Johnson in this era?

NO one know numbnuts, just appreciate te fact that you are alive and able to watch how great Tim Duncan is

You Mad? :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

D-FENS
03-07-2014, 01:48 PM
You Mad? :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedhug:

:confusedshrug:

Milbuck
03-07-2014, 01:49 PM
:oldlol: You guys are shitting on this discussion with your confused shrugs. It's a shame, this is actually a pretty interesting topic.

HOoopCityJones
03-07-2014, 02:01 PM
:oldlol: You guys are shitting on this discussion with your confused shrugs. It's a shame, this is actually a pretty interesting topic.

I agree, but this dude has some sort of massive stick up his ass when it comes to hypothetical discussions.

What am I to do? Except :confusedshrug:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Wait you got ALL of that from a "confused shrug"?

moe94
03-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Wasn't KG/Kobe supposed to happen? What went wrong?

Milbuck
03-07-2014, 02:04 PM
I agree, but this dude has some sort of massive stick up his ass when it comes to hypothetical discussions.

What am I to do? Except :confusedshrug:
Just re-read the thread, guess it's just him. :oldlol: dude wrote a ****ing paragraph length post about one little smiley. Someone clearly shat in his car or something:confusedshrug:

HOoopCityJones
03-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Wasn't KG/Kobe supposed to happen? What went wrong?

Boston happened.

I remember that year we were trying to get KG and Kidd.

HOoopCityJones
03-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Just re-read the thread, guess it's just him. :oldlol: dude wrote a ****ing paragraph length post about one little smiley. Someone clearly shat in his car or something:confusedshrug:

Hey, all I wanted to know is how would Two players effect eachothers career's if they played together.

I'd love to experience a Pop controlled Kobe for a season.

inclinerator
03-07-2014, 02:09 PM
probably split championships against shaq and mcgrady

selrahc
03-07-2014, 02:18 PM
If duncan and kobe had played together, Kobe would now be considered the GOAT and duncan would look like kobe's pippen. Together they would have easily won at least 9 championships.

Carter_17
03-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Zero rigs, first season second round exit in playoffs. Kobe is upset because Pop benched him after his 5/15 FG and run plays around Duncan. Then he goes to the media and claims he is unhappy. Pop gets fired , duncan gets traded and they rebuild around kobe.

Kobe can't play under a coach like Pop and Pop cant manage a team with Kobe. This could work if spurs had draft Kobe while they already had duncan. Maybe then pop would be able to manage kobe while he still thinks he is human.

AintNoSunshine
03-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Probably 3 or 4 if they also have parker. Kobe can be a poor man's manu.

HOoopCityJones
03-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Probably 3 or 4 if they also have parker. Kobe can be a poor man's manu.

The hate is strong in this one. :sleeping

SamuraiSWISH
03-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Better than Shaq / Kobe because Duncan is a superior defender, with more longevity. Then ontop of it, the reason the Shaq - Kobe Lakers self destructed was due to ego clashes. I don't think that happens between Duncan and Kobe.

moe94
03-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Better than Shaq / Kobe because Duncan is a superior defender, with more longevity. Then ontop of it, the reason the Shaq - Kobe Lakers self destructed was due to ego clashes. I don't think that happens between Duncan and Kobe.

What about the ego clashes between Kobe and Pop?

pegasus
03-07-2014, 03:21 PM
At least 6

ArbitraryWater
03-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Hey, all I wanted to know is how would Two players effect eachothers career's if they played together.

I'd love to experience a Pop controlled Kobe for a season.

If Phil can't control Kobe, neither can Pop or anyone.

SamuraiSWISH
03-07-2014, 03:25 PM
What about the ego clashes between Kobe and Pop?
Yea, Pop may not be able to manage egos the way PJ could from a mind game perspective. But it's interesting to think about. I think Kobe would ultimately respect Duncan, and Pops more due to the work ethic that Shaq lacked.

HOoopCityJones
03-07-2014, 03:31 PM
If Phil can't control Kobe, neither can Pop or anyone.

Wrong.

Phil presses buttons and plays up the Drama to get the most out of his players.

Pop is totally different, he'd nip that shit in the bud right away.

Demitri98
03-07-2014, 04:41 PM
It also depends on when they team up. Are they both drafted or is Kobe traded to the Spurs?

T_L_P
03-07-2014, 05:22 PM
I agree with this. 7 would be a pretty safe guess imo.

99-05': Tim Duncan was incredible, especially in the playoffs. Solid offensively, game changer defensively. Coincidentally, Kobe from 99-03' was at his peak level of defensive intensity. I think they could have easily won 3 during this time period since Kobe/Shaq/Duncan combined for 6 out of the 7 titles during these seasons. I think Duncan takes FMVP in 02' and 03' and Kobe takes MVP in 01' just going off of how they performed during the playoffs during those seasons. I think 3 is a conservative number for this time period since you make Shaq less of a factor by taking away Kobe.

:biggums:

T_L_P
03-07-2014, 05:26 PM
If duncan and kobe had played together, Kobe would now be considered the GOAT and duncan would look like kobe's pippen. Together they would have easily won at least 9 championships.

What really happened: Kobe became Shaq's Pippen :oldlol:

To answer the OP's question: a lot, providing Kobe doesn't cause any problems (although I don't see the two playing in San Antonio because Kobe would request a trade to LA/NY).

FKAri
03-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Somewhere between 41-46 rings depending on how the chemistry develops.