PDA

View Full Version : Who's the guy that does the NBA highlight commentary?

Fire Colangelo
03-07-2014, 02:56 PM
http://www.nba.com/games/20140306/OKCPHX/gameinfo.html?ls=slt

This was the first time in a while I checked NBA highlights since I was busy last night.... is it just me or is this guy TERRIBLE. Just hearing his voice makes me cringe oh god. I can imagine some of the casual fans checking the highlights in the morning and just cringing at this shit. :facepalm

Rake2204
03-07-2014, 03:13 PM
That's Van Earl Wright. He's been a prominent broadcaster for at least the past 20 years (which of course doesn't mean you have to like him). He's been around the horn - CNN, FSN, Detroit, commentating baseball video games, etc.

I personally do not mind him and believe there's much worse out there. I don't know if I enjoy his work per se but as always, to each their own. Watching the Suns/Thunder highlight linked above, it sounds relatively standard to me. His inflection starts bouncing about when the highlights step up a notch, but that's kinda par for the course from sports commentators, no?

Demitri98
03-07-2014, 05:13 PM
I sincerely hate this guy.

kamil
03-07-2014, 05:16 PM
He sounds like the dude that said 'Boom goes the dynamite' but with 20 mediocre years experience.

He's awful.

Vienceslav
03-07-2014, 05:50 PM
He sounds like somebody recording himself on a tape recorder pretending he's announcing the game, I know I did it when I was a kid.:lol

tmacattack33
03-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Yeah he's going a little crazy there, and also he doesn't ever really say anything that isn't obvious by using your own eyes.

Pretty bad. I'd give him a 3.5/10.

Fire Colangelo
03-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Honestly, there were some good highlights last night too I can't believe they let him do the commentaries for it. His voice sounds so forced, and it's just awkward sometimes. Also sounds like he knows nothing about basketball lol. At one point he called Westbrook "westy" and I was just like :facepalm

I like the guy that usually does it, he's more natural with it and just... Idk flows better with the highlight.

KrizMiz
03-08-2014, 01:01 AM
He sounds like a pirate

i want him to say ARRRRRR

Fire Colangelo
03-08-2014, 01:04 AM
He sounds like a pirate

i want him to say ARRRRRR

Now that you mention it :lol

sammichoffate
03-08-2014, 03:30 AM
Now that you mention it :lolThe site probably lets him do it because they're either desperate, or he's just so bad everyone likes him :oldlol: