PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Phil Jackson leaning toward taking Knicks job

bagelred
03-08-2014, 07:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10574864/phil-jackson-leaning-taking-new-york-knicks-front-office-job

SportsCenter ✔ @SportsCenter
Follow

THIS JUST IN: Phil Jackson is leaning toward taking job with Knicks to become president of basketball operations. (via @stephenasmith)

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/uploaded/images/original/2014/1/7/its-happening-ron-paul-gif.gif

whoa

oarabbus
03-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Is this supposed to get the Knicks into the playoffs or something? Not even PJax can save the trainwreck we call the Knicks :roll: :roll:

bagelred
03-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Is this supposed to get the Knicks into the playoffs or something? Not even PJax can save the trainwreck we call the Knicks :roll: :roll:

:roll: :roll: Pathetic ass franchise is pathetic. :roll:

poido123
03-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Would be a great turn of fate for the Knicks. They need somebody in the front office who knows what they are doing.

smoovegittar
03-08-2014, 07:22 PM
They scared! I'm laughing! :oldlol:

Akrazotile

Seriously, this.

What is he supposed to do? They have no picks. They have to give an overglorified role player a new max deal bc he sells jerseys. They have idiots like JR Smiff stuck on their cap. They have no assets.

Dude is literally gonna get paid to sit at a desk with his arms tied. But again, this is like an Obama election. Give the dumb masses of sheep HOPE HOPE HOPE!

Phil Jackson: HOPE! CHANGE! HOPE! CHANGE!

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
Dont know how they'd do, but PJax actually coaching the Knicks would have been exciting. Would put NY back on the map too.

bagelred
03-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Phil Jackson: HOPE! CHANGE! HOPE! CHANGE!

New York. Just a bunch of stupid ass liberals. :oldlol:

Nikola_
03-08-2014, 07:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/e9Zao27.png

bluechox2
03-08-2014, 07:28 PM
it may keep melo in place knowing that hed have a hof coach to jump in whenever the woodson trainwreck ends

Eric Cartman
03-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Desperate move to make Melo stay. Won't work.

Shade8780
03-08-2014, 07:29 PM
New York. Just a bunch of stupid ass liberals. :oldlol:
millwad and bagel are those weird type of poster, where you never know if they're serious or not or just trolls.

like ffs bagel, you're a knicks fan!

It's A VC3!!!
03-08-2014, 07:30 PM

Dude, have some vision.

This is going to finally make Melo clutch.

JR is finally going to stop being a knucklehead.

Knicks bench is actually going to be good.

Felton will actually lose weight and be a top 5 point guard.

James Dolan is going to be the best owner in the NBA.

This is what will happen once PJ is coach of the Knicks. Nah not really Knicks will still be a non playoff team.

bagelred
03-08-2014, 07:35 PM
millwad and bagel are those weird type of poster, where you never know if they're serious or not or just trolls.

like ffs bagel, you're a knicks fan!

I is?

Boarder Patrol
03-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Dude, have some vision.

This is what will happen once PJ is coach of the Knicks. Nah not really Knicks will still be a non playoff team.

No, we just upgrade our front office immensely. We don't expect those players to change much. Hopefully, if this happens (still 50/50), we'll hopefully get away from some of these guys.

But you can be sure as hell we won't be trading four first round picks for two geriatrics bums and a .500 record :bowdown: :applause: :roll:

bluechox2
03-08-2014, 07:36 PM
its easier to bully mills/grunwald/dolan on the trading table than bullying phil

hes gonna bring players that he likes to coach...fires the coach in place and takes over

It's A VC3!!!
03-08-2014, 07:42 PM
No, we just upgrade our front office immensely. We don't expect those players to change much. Hopefully, if this happens (still 50/50), we'll hopefully get away from some of these guys.

But you can be sure as hell we won't be trading four first round picks for two geriatrics bums and a .500 record :bowdown: :applause: :roll:

Good, because the Knicks don't have four first round picks to trade anyways. As a matter of fact, aside from Carmelo and Hardaway, they don't have one player worth a damn. I applaud the Knicks trying to make an immediate change to get better but why don't they start with the players first, being as that is the biggest problem with the atrocity called the Knicks.

red1
03-08-2014, 07:47 PM
phil is not as smart as I thought

Higher Meaning
03-08-2014, 07:49 PM
They scared now :banana:

LOL

poido123

Has a great chance to be a hero?

Can the knicks get any worse?

smoovegittar
Dude, have some vision.

Phil will be head of operations - not coach.

And once he settles in and cleans up the crib, d'ya think Billy King over the bridge may take some notes?

red1
03-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Has a great chance to be a hero?

Can the knicks get any worse?
Knicks are f*cked from top to bottom. Phil aint doing shit

red1
03-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Hiring phil is a good first step though

Foster5k
03-08-2014, 07:51 PM
LMAO!

Either the Knicks about to get super stacked, or Phil Jackson has lost his mind thinking he can do something he hasn't done his entire career. Win without top tier talent.

NewYorkNoPicks
03-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Better than Steve Mills but Phil is overrated

-When has he ever been a talent evaluator?

-his Bulls or Lakers teams NEVERRR found diamond in the rough type of guys. Although he obviously wasnt the GM Neither franchise drafted well while he was there. Dont you think GMs ask coaches what they think of certain players?

-Phil is a win now type of guy. This isnt a win now roster. Will he make the same short term thinking moves guys like Isiah made? Trading unprotected picks, taking on overpaid players

-Phil has never struck me as much of an x's and o's guy as much as he was a master at managing personalities.

-You could say hes a genius if he actually invented the triangle offense, but that was Tex Winters system, not his.

-Didnt he want to trade Kobe early in his career?

But either way better than Steve Mills

therammingman
03-08-2014, 07:53 PM
this is irrelevant.

not going to change anything this year or going forward.

smoovegittar
03-08-2014, 07:56 PM
You'll all be choking on yourselves if this goes down. You can get back to bitching about your own pathetic teams... and maybe we'll get some real talk in here :facepalm

Real Men Wear Green
03-08-2014, 07:57 PM
He has NY roots from his playing career. If Dolan is willing to give him at least 6 years to rebuild the team it's not a bad situation. Players want to play for the Knicks in New York. Look at how Melo forced his way onto the team. How many franchises could get a star player to force his way onto their team like that? And that's with a team that wasn't contending for a championship. What PJ would need to do differently is attract talents of Melo's caliber without sacrificing as much talent as NY did to get Melo. So if they'll be patient while he stockpiles draft picks (this will take extra-long because of prior pick-trading) and let's the team lose for the sake of cap space and lottery position it's very possible to build a champ in NY. They just need to have the right architect.

Now what we don't know is whether or not Jackson can spot NCAA talent and make deals.

smoovegittar
03-08-2014, 08:00 PM
He has NY roots from his playing career. If Dolan is willing to give him at least 6 years to rebuild the team it's not a bad situation. Players want to play for the Knicks in New York. Look at how Melo forced his way onto the team. How many franchises could get a star player to force his way onto their team like that? And that's with a team that wasn't contending for a championship. What PJ would need to do differently is attract talents of Melo's caliber without sacrificing as much talent as NY did to get Melo. So if they'll be patient while he stockpiles draft picks (this will take extra-long because of prior pick-trading) and let's the team lose for the sake of cap space and lottery position it's very possible to build a champ in NY. They just need to have the right architect.

Now what we don't know is whether or not Jackson can spot NCAA talent and make deals.
REAL TALK. I look forward to our heated matches with an upgraded Celtics team! :cheers:

poido123
03-08-2014, 08:01 PM
I just hope the Knicks fans and critics will give him a few years to showcase improvement of the team.

He will need to acquire draft picks, shuffle around contracts/players, to get this team where he thinks it needs to be...

I'm confident he can turn this franchise around...for good.

red1
03-08-2014, 08:01 PM

This is what I find so puzzling. How can a team suck so much dick for such a long time when they are a premier destination for free agents. Knicks management is the worst in professional sports

smoovegittar
03-08-2014, 08:03 PM
This is what I find so puzzling. How can a team suck so much dick for such a long time when they are a premier destination for free agents. Knicks management is the worst in professional sports
Toronto fan. Go take a shower...

Real Men Wear Green
03-08-2014, 08:03 PM
REAL TALK. I look forward to our heated matches with an upgraded Celtics team! :cheers:
I hope we see the Celtics return to glory but both teams are in a position where things could go either way. A lottery pick doesn't guarantee improvement. Look at Cleveland, they've just been collecting them.

poido123
03-08-2014, 08:04 PM

Of course it is.

This is a step in the right direction though. There are few difference makers in any sport, Phil is one of them.

oarabbus
03-08-2014, 08:04 PM

Well, you also need to consider that they're getting the players like Melo and JR and previously Starbury, etc. They get the players who do it for the love of the fame, not the love of the game.

red1
03-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Toronto fan. Go take a shower...
raptors have had some shitty f*cking management too so I feel your pain :confusedshrug:

kNicKz
Wow, look at the Knicks trying to better their organization

*insert comment about how they suck*

smoovegittar
I hope we see the Celtics return to glory but both teams are in a position where things could go either way. A lottery pick doesn't guarantee improvement. Look at Cleveland, they've just been collecting them.

You have proper management there...and a winning tradition. I'm sure you'll be more than relevant.

smoovegittar
03-08-2014, 08:07 PM
raptors have had some shitty f*cking management too so I feel your pain :confusedshrug:
What gets me is this "sucking dick for so long" - Yeah, we've had some bad luck. Last year was not one of those. Statements like that causes me to question a lot of posters here. C'mon man...

D-Rose
03-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Pat Riley 2.0 in the front office?

Boarder Patrol
03-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Good, because the Knicks don't have four first round picks to trade anyways. As a matter of fact, aside from Carmelo and Hardaway, they don't have one player worth a damn. I applaud the Knicks trying to make an immediate change to get better but why don't they start with the players first, being as that is the biggest problem with the atrocity called the Knicks.

No. You need to upgrade the front office FIRST so you can make the right moves in getting away from the bad players. I want Melo and Timmy for the future, but if Melo leaves I'd be fine with the hilarity of Felton/Amare/Bargs as long as we don't re-sign them.

And a Nets fan talking about not being able to trade picks? :biggums:

red1
03-08-2014, 08:09 PM
What gets me is this "sucking dick for so long" - Yeah, we've had some bad luck. Last year was not one of those. Statements like that causes me to question a lot of posters here. C'mon man...
tbh you havent been sucking dick for that long its only been a decade and a half since the ewing teams but you get my point

MMM
03-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Not sure how it's going to work out but it is a good first step. If they want to compete with Miami, SA, etc on the floor they first need to compete with them in the front office, not a revolutionary concept.

Patrick Chewing
03-08-2014, 08:13 PM
http://media2.onsugar.com/files/2013/06/17/798/n/1922398/35c6b4251b94f0d7_leo_dance_1_.gif

smoovegittar
03-08-2014, 08:15 PM
tbh you havent been sucking dick for that long its only been a decade and a half since the ewing teams but you get my point

I get your point... we've been bungled and mis-managed since Charles gave Jimmy the Garden. My point is all about proper discussion. I'm not into being rude - there's more than a fair share of Jackasses in here (including some Knick fans, no doubt). Don't join those ranks of idiots with the rudeness.

... but I digress...

MMM
03-08-2014, 08:16 PM

Other than last season the last decade has been forgettable. Also it's not only that they were bad but the way they constructed their teams made them a focal point of laughing stocks.

Higher Meaning
03-08-2014, 08:16 PM
But yeah I would love to see what Phil Jackson could help us do. And I'm willing to wait a couple years because I know it's gonna take time, but hey I can wait, it's not like we're going places anytime soon.

smoovegittar
03-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Other than last season the last decade has been forgettable. Also it's not only that they were bad but the way they constructed their teams made them a focal point of laughing stocks.
Understood. I'm just trying to keep it clean, y'know what I mean?

Trust me... I know how bad it's been. And yet I watch...

MMM
03-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Understood. I'm just trying to keep it clean, y'know what I mean?

Trust me... I know how bad it's been. And yet I watch...

Been through some bad seasons makes it sweat when 2008 finally occurred. Not everybody is blessed to be the Lakers, but it is definitely good news if NY finally improves their management.

SpecialQue
03-08-2014, 08:25 PM
The Knicks are back.

http://i.imgur.com/CTWgVKx.gif

kNicKz
03-08-2014, 08:26 PM

This should probably help:
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+contract

Lamar Odumbb
03-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Phil is gonna eff with Jim Buss and steal K Love. Thats what Jim gets for being a ***.

Lakers are gonna have to go to plan B, sign Lamarcus and Westbrook instead of Love and Durant.

Akrazotile
03-08-2014, 08:28 PM
The one thing Phil could do to save the Knicks from themselves is not bring in guys like Melo, JR, Felton, Kenyon, etc. Even tho any one of those ROLE PLAYERS individually might be able to help a team (if they accept their role, good luck), but you can't have a team full of those guys :facepalm

The problem is, Dolan brings those guys in because the fans love them. Knick fans still think Carmelo is an MVP caliber player. They think he's a "first option supirstarr" because he racks up points. They buy his jersey and his shoes and his posters and his headbands and anything else that can be sold to them. They believe guys like JR are that last missing piece they needed to add. I'm sure they think if they can just trade Chandler for Westbrook that this team is off to the championship races.

Anyone who takes a job in NY always pays lip service to how "the fans in this city really know their basketball." :lol

The truth is these dummies love hype and flash, they'll believe in ANYTHING wearing a Knicks jersey (or at least, any 'star', they'll blame everyone else involved for his shortcomings) and they wouldn't know quality basketball if it elbowed them in the chops going in for a layup.

Phil MIGHT be able to commit the organization to intelligent, championship caliber players, but that would mean shipping out melo and amare and avoiding low IQ dudes that chuck and hog and don't play d and laugh on the bench during blowouts. MSG loves those types of players. It's those "knowledgeable fans" they have.

#Melo4MVP

bagelred
03-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Phil is gonna eff with Jim Buss and steal K Love. Thats what Jim gets for being a ***.

Lakers are gonna have to go to plan B, sign Lamarcus and Westbrook instead of Love and Durant.

Kevin Love? We can do better....

Akrazotile
03-08-2014, 11:22 PM
This will be a great future bump if he backs out doe.

Or if he stays, actually.

Either way Knicks fans stay gettin laughed at.

niko
03-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Starface all butthurt over the Knicks. Why?

smoovegittar
03-08-2014, 11:26 PM
This will be a great future bump if he backs out doe.

Or if he stays, actually.

Either way Knicks fans stay gettin laughed at.

I'm actually laughing at you and your little posts of hate. This will be the last time I address you and your terrible redundancy. Have a nice life, git. :oldlol:

moe94
03-08-2014, 11:29 PM
they = scared now
we = comin

Trentknicks
03-08-2014, 11:31 PM
they = scared now
we = comin
Do you need to be exposed again?

http://i1.sndcdn.com/avatars-000016787860-zsydmu-t500x500.jpg

moe94
03-08-2014, 11:33 PM
When was I ever exposed? It's almost like you're unable to cope with people having opinions on the Knicks. Aren't you from Australia? Why are you so rabid? An internet meme sets you off.

Why you dodging starface?

smoovegittar
03-08-2014, 11:34 PM
3 in a row. What's causing the optimism, I wonder? :D

Trentknicks
03-08-2014, 11:35 PM
When was I ever exposed? It's almost like you're unable to cope with people having opinions on the Knicks. Aren't you from Australia? Why are you so rabid? An internet meme sets you off.

Why you dodging starface?
No, Staten Island actually.

el gringos
03-08-2014, 11:45 PM
3 in a row. What's causing the optimism, I wonder? :D
Maybe just that in 2 days the Knicks will be sitting in 9th with 2 teams 5 games in front to try and chase down and a favorable schedule to do it.

smoovegittar
03-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Maybe just that in 2 days the Knicks will be sitting in 9th with 2 teams 5 games in front to try and chase down and a favorable schedule to do it.
Won't happen. I'd love for them to prove me wrong. It's too little, too late. But I think better times are coming sooner than some would cared to admit.

Upgrayedd
03-09-2014, 01:39 AM
No! Don't want this to happen. I want the Knicks to continue to suck this season and for Melo to leave this summer and go to the Bulls.

Upgrayedd
03-09-2014, 01:41 AM
And I want to see Phil Jackson go to Chicago and replace Forman/Paxson. Wouldn't need to coach since they have Thibs. And they're in a much better situation to win soon.

JohnFreeman
03-09-2014, 01:48 AM
Phil Jackson will kick some serious ass. Do you think this will make Melo stay?

bagelred
03-09-2014, 01:52 AM
This might not be reliable, but I'll post it anyway.

Je-C ‏@Je_C_Unplugged 2h

Dental issues will keep Phil in LA this week.

Je-C ‏@Je_C_Unplugged 2h

BREAKING NEWS: Phil due to arrive in NYC next Sunday, with a press conference set for a week from this Tuesday announcing him as Prez of NYK

:confusedshrug:

Upgrayedd
03-09-2014, 02:11 AM
Phil Jackson will kick some serious ass. Do you think this will make Melo stay?

Hope not. I want to see him on the Bulls.

eliteballer
03-09-2014, 02:36 AM
Phils impact won't be felt this season or next, but the summer of 2015 when they actually have cap space.

T-Time3
03-09-2014, 02:51 AM
http://i.imgur.com/e9Zao27.png
DEY SCARED NOW !!! :rockon:

niko
03-09-2014, 09:21 AM
I think the coverage of this is ridiculous. There is already criticism of how or where he'll be working. First of all, no details of anything are confirmed, including him taking the job. Secondly, people all of a sudden want the Knicks to have a young up in coming just discovered star as GM. You can't will that, you have to take a chance on that and hope it works, and the way Dolan is, how will someone who never did the job have any cache to be allowed to work without being overruled? That's the thing about Phil that is the best, he will, because of his stature, be allowed to run the organization. That's what the Knicks need. Not a numbers guy who will be completely ignored.

It also puts us in play for any free agent. It's important to have a guy talking to players who can talk title, success, because he has been there.

Hopefully it happens.

Blue&Orange
03-09-2014, 09:37 AM
incorrect title should be, Phil Jackson leaning towards taking Knicks with the help of Jeanie Buss... dude is old

comerb
03-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Whats Phil going to do to help them? Lace up his sneakers?

This year? Nothing.

It's A VC3!!!
03-09-2014, 10:20 AM
NY is an attractive enough market. The problem is not attracting free agents. Plenty of players have taken less to play with the Knicks. It's the horrible players that have bad contracts. At least the bad contracts the Nets have are good players.

SexSymbol
03-09-2014, 10:24 AM
He would help them, he could sign Zach Randolph, so the Knicks would have a beast to throw the ball down low to.

Akrazotile
03-09-2014, 11:19 AM
He would help them, he could sign Zach Randolph, so the Knicks would have a beast to throw the ball down low to.

Ahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahah hahhahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahhahhahahahahah ahahhahhahhahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahhahhahahaha hahahahhahhahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahhahhaha hahahahahahhahhahhahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahhahh ahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahah hahhahahahahahahahhahhahhahahahahahhahhahahahahaha hahhahhahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahhahhahahaha hahahahhahhahahahahahahahhahhah

gts
03-09-2014, 11:22 AM
That's the thing about Phil that is the best, he will, because of his stature, be allowed to run the organization. That's what the Knicks need. Not a numbers guy who will be completely ignored.

Hopefully it happens.

Problem is that's the exact same thing Knicks fan said about Donnie Walsh, Hopefully Dolan has learned from his mistakes

All Net
03-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Wonder why..

smoovegittar
03-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Because we're NYC. That's why. :pimp:

niko
03-09-2014, 12:42 PM
NY is an attractive enough market. The problem is not attracting free agents. Plenty of players have taken less to play with the Knicks. It's the horrible players that have bad contracts. At least the bad contracts the Nets have are good players.
By that definition Amare is not a bad contract. He produces very night a good 15/8, even plays 30 minutes now. Of course you're nuts but that's not relevant.

niko
03-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Problem is that's the exact same thing Knicks fan said about Donnie Walsh, Hopefully Dolan has learned from his mistakes
People keep saying this, why don't the Knicks just do nothing and keep status quo? What would be a perfect move that couldn't possibly fail? Nothing.

I swear the Knicks get scrutiny other teams do not. If another team hires a great name, it's ooh and aah. If the Knicks do it, it's "what can go wrong?" Every move is like that. Aside from signing Lebron, what is a full proof move?

wang4three
03-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Does this mean he coaches as well? Or is this just an executive position?

Boarder Patrol
03-09-2014, 12:47 PM

Deron is a terrible player. JJ is an average player. Brook WAS a good player but at this point he's more injury prone than Amare.

And next year most of them expire, enjoy Deron ruining your chances at 2016.

gts
03-09-2014, 12:53 PM
People keep saying this, why don't the Knicks just do nothing and keep status quo? What would be a perfect move that couldn't possibly fail? Nothing.

I swear the Knicks get scrutiny other teams do not. If another team hires a great name, it's ooh and aah. If the Knicks do it, it's "what can go wrong?" Every move is like that. Aside from signing Lebron, what is a full proof move?Where did I say do nothing?

I was just pointing out that the expectations for Jackson are the same as they were for Walsh, then it got all Dolaned up. Walsh was is a good basketball mind, one of the better and certainly much more proven than Phil Jackson probably ever will be but he's gone...

As for what needs to be done, get Dolan the hell out of the way... surely there's share holders or something that have to be concerned or maybe they make so much money they don't care

Heavincent
03-09-2014, 12:57 PM
If the Knicks do it, it's "what can go wrong?" Every move is like that. Aside from signing Lebron, what is a full proof move?

Probably because every move seems to backfire on the Knicks.

WallIn
03-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Leaning towards those $$$

The question remains. Is it worth it?

Dagouch
03-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Leaning towards those $$$

The question remains. Is it worth it?

If it can change the culture of the Front Office then yes. If Dolan has finally learned his this is a step in the right direction.

niko
03-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Does this mean he coaches as well? Or is this just an executive position?
It sounds like they'd still bring in a head coach. JVG seems to be the guy Dolan wants but that's just speculation at this point. The thing I heard was he could coach as a bridge if he doesn't have a candidate right away, but i struggle to see how he has teh energy to do all these things.

eliteballer
03-09-2014, 07:46 PM
http://i.minus.com/iQ99QHi8u2ipP.gif

http://i.minus.com/i04Kf9e6PnwJb.gif

They scared now.

smoovegittar
03-09-2014, 07:50 PM
http://i.minus.com/iQ99QHi8u2ipP.gif

http://i.minus.com/i04Kf9e6PnwJb.gif

They scared now.
I'll be singing and dancing too if we get Phil. :banana:

smoovegittar
03-09-2014, 07:54 PM
It sounds like they'd still bring in a head coach. JVG seems to be the guy Dolan wants but that's just speculation at this point. The thing I heard was he could coach as a bridge if he doesn't have a candidate right away, but i struggle to see how he has teh energy to do all these things.

Man, if he gets JVG back I won't miss a game. Phil's gonna basically delegate everything according to his desire should this come to pass. I could even see Woody going back to being part of the assistants if he deems it.

One thing's certain - it got interesting again.