PDA

View Full Version : Did Malone and Payton start the whole ring chasing trend

SupermanOnSteroids
03-09-2014, 07:29 PM
or was there a precedent for that before hand?

Really started following the NBA closely around 2000 and couldn't think of anyone doing this before.

SpecialQue
03-09-2014, 07:31 PM
http://nbaretro.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/pippenbarkleyolaj_original_crop_340x234.jpg

JohnMax
03-09-2014, 07:32 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wFinZggzeIM/T_22-oiffDI/AAAAAAAAJ3s/qQiCQT4vaAw/s1600/ray%2Ballen%2Bheat%2Bjersey.jpg

Sarcastic
03-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Barkley when he went to Phoenix, then again when he went to Houston.

TheMarkMadsen
03-09-2014, 07:33 PM
"I wanna play with Kareem"

ring chasing before even entering the NBA

SupermanOnSteroids
03-09-2014, 07:34 PM
http://nbaretro.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/pippenbarkleyolaj_original_crop_340x234.jpg
ah! kinda disappointed in sir Charles for doing that.

JohnMax
03-09-2014, 07:35 PM

Pippen vs Barkley's "sorry fat butt"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ugxfIYANA

Interestingly enough, they were 31-19 in the shortened lockout season.
They had lost to the Lakers in the first round of the 99 Playoffs.
Pippen had 11 seasons under his belt, while both Hakeem & Barkley were in their 14th NBA season.
Scottie, one of the best defensive players at his position, had been traded to Portland the following season and played for the Blazers for 4 seasons.
Pip probably called out Charles for not hustling and being overweight.

SupermanOnSteroids
03-09-2014, 07:35 PM
did he take a pay cut to do so?

kennethgriffin
03-09-2014, 07:38 PM
ring chasing has been going on forever..

barkley and pippen did it with the rockets

guys like mcadoo on LA

guys like walton on boston

AboutBuckets
03-09-2014, 09:28 PM
ring chasing has been going on forever..

barkley and pippen did it with the rockets

guys like mcadoo on LA

guys like walton on boston

Eh, Walton had already won a ring as the leader of his team so I wouldn't consider his playing for Boston ring chasing.

fos
03-09-2014, 10:25 PM
I don't have a problem with ring chasing when you're past your prime like Barkley, Malone, Payton, and Pippen. But when you're teaming up in your prime with other top 10 players (and leaving your 60 win team to do so), then I have a problem with it.

BlackVVaves
03-09-2014, 11:31 PM
or was there a precedent for that before hand?

Really started following the NBA closely around 2000 and couldn't think of anyone doing this before.

It's been happening way before 2000. Clyde did it in 95, Barkley soon there after. Less prominent players did the same in the 80s.

MavsPoke
03-10-2014, 12:53 AM
I don't have a problem with ring chasing when you're past your prime like Barkley, Malone, Payton, and Pippen. But when you're teaming up in your prime with other top 10 players (and leaving your 60 win team to do so), then I have a problem with it.

^Truth has been spoken.

Straight_Ballin
03-10-2014, 01:04 AM

Wow, you just shitted down Bron's throat!

kennethgriffin
03-10-2014, 01:07 AM
Eh, Walton had already won a ring as the leader of his team so I wouldn't consider his playing for Boston ring chasing.

If kobe got out of his contract tomorrow and signed with the miami heat. Would he be a ring chaser?

Ofcourse

And he has 5 times the amount of rings walton had when he joined boston

Haymaker
03-10-2014, 01:14 AM

This.

JohnFreeman
03-10-2014, 01:15 AM
I don't even care if people team up. Miami teaming up was one of the best things to happen to the NBA

DonDadda59
03-10-2014, 01:31 AM

Yeah, ring chasing has been going on forever. But the usual way was guys who had been around a long time with their teams as the best/second best player doing all they could individually until they hit their mid-late 30s (40 in Karl Malone's case)/are past prime when they realize they won't win with their present squads. Bron went ahead and ditched a 60+ win team that had been to the ECF just the season prior... at age 26.

I don't even care if people team up. Miami teaming up was one of the best things to happen to the NBA

How do you figure? Can't help but think a big reason the East is as pathetic as it is because of Miami hoarding all the talent. I mean it's tough to say definitively, but Bron being in Cle right now would make them a playoff squad/contender. If Bosh was still on the raptors, they'd be better.

Can't imagine how stacking teams is good for the league as a whole. If Miami's stars take a paycut and welcome Melo on board, then it'd be far worse. Wouldn't surprise me if that happened.

Myth
03-10-2014, 01:36 AM
The first really major one that comes to mind for me is Drexler. He forced his way out of Portland after over a decade to go to the defending champions.

I saw Barkley mentioned going to Phoenix, but that move didn't bother me the same way (though him going to Houston was a ring chase). He actually thought he'd be going to Portland btw, and was pissed at Portland for a long long time afterwards. I also don't blame Pippen for leaving the Bulls, because the whole team was disbanding.

houston
03-10-2014, 02:06 AM
"I wanna play with Kareem"

ring chasing before even entering the NBA

yup add moses too

bdreason
03-10-2014, 02:46 AM
Ring chasing is a myth. At the end of the day, players are going to get credit based on their contributions. Guys like Horry and Kerr have handfuls of rings, but nobody speaks of them as all-time greats. If a guy "ring-chases" to another team, and leads the team in scoring (for example), he obviously isn't "chasing" anything. If he ends up only posting moderate contributions in route to a title, then he'll be remembered as a roleplayer; like Payton on Miami.

diamenz
03-10-2014, 03:26 AM

exactly what i was going to say. every time i try to like lebron, this reason always holds me back.

payton, malone and barkley had paid their dues.

ImKobe
03-10-2014, 03:28 AM

/thread

JT123
03-10-2014, 03:43 AM
exactly what i was going to say. every time i try to like lebron, this reason always holds me back.

payton, malone and barkley had paid their dues.
How is putting in 7 years not paying your dues? :facepalm What is the magic number of seasons that is paying your dues? 9 years? 11? Lebron couldn't just assume he would have a 15-20 year career. Hell he could suffer an ACL tear in his next game and never be the same again. Players need to live for today, not just assume to can ring chase on a contender once they are in their mid 30's. Real men make their own paths in life, while others wait for handouts.

DonDadda59
03-10-2014, 04:03 AM
How is putting in 7 years not paying your dues? :facepalm What is the magic number of seasons that is paying your dues? 9 years? 11? Lebron couldn't just assume he would have a 15-20 year career. Hell he could suffer an ACL tear in his next game and never be the same again. Players need to live for today, not just assume to can ring chase on a contender once they are in their mid 30's. Real men make their own paths in life, while others wait for handouts.

So instead of working to lead a 60+ win team that had made it to the ECF the season before (aka making his own path), teaming up with a top 3 player/finals MVP and a 20/10 franchise player isn't getting handouts? :yaohappy:

Dude was only 26 years old and bailed on a 60 win caliber team to ring chase with a guy who had already led his team to the promised land and another all star... but that's 'making your own path'?

You have an interesting perspective on life, I'll give you that.

russwest0
03-10-2014, 04:03 AM
Weren't the last two guys to have a 30.0+ per in the same season LBJ and Wade the year before they teamed up?

That is ringchasing in it's worst, most bitchmade form.

JT123
03-10-2014, 04:11 AM
So instead of working to lead a 60+ win team that had made it to the ECF the season before (aka making his own path), teaming up with a top 3 player/finals MVP and a 20/10 franchise player isn't getting handouts? :yaohappy:

Dude was only 26 years old and bailed on a 60 win caliber team to ring chase with a guy who had already led his team to the promised land and another all star... but that's 'making your own path'?

You have an interesting perspective on life, I'll give you that.
They went to the ECF in 2009, yet lost in the 2nd round in 2010. The team was clearly taking steps backwards. :facepalm Everyone with half a brain knew that Cleveland team would never win a ring, especially not with Mo Williams as it's second option. Stop playing dumb. A bunch of regular season wins does not a championship contender make, see Chicago Bulls in 2011 and 2012. A hand out would be what Jordan and Kobe received throughout their careers, their front offices supplying them with multiple Hall of Famers. Not all stars have such luck, and thus are forced to create their own. Only reason you wanted him to stay in Cleveland was so he could finish his career ringless and thus not come close to your boy MJ. :lol

Budadiiii
03-10-2014, 04:16 AM
How do you figure? Can't help but think a big reason the East is as pathetic as it is because of Miami hoarding all the talent. I mean it's tough to say definitively, but Bron being in Cle right now would make them a playoff squad/contender. If Bosh was still on the raptors, they'd be better.

Can't imagine how stacking teams is good for the league as a whole. If Miami's stars take a paycut and welcome Melo on board, then it'd be far worse. Wouldn't surprise me if that happened.

It was great for ESPN and casual bandwagon stans like JohnFreeman, SilkktheShocker, NumberSix, etc. and bad for everyone else.

miggyme1
03-10-2014, 04:20 AM
]Barkley when he went to Phoenix[/B], then again when he went to Houston.

:facepalm

the were a good team the year before they got him with no superstars...kinda like the suns team present day. barkley clearly was the only superstar caliber talent on that team as when they got him HE took them all the way to the finals.

JT123
03-10-2014, 04:20 AM
It was great for ESPN and casual bandwagon stans like JohnFreeman, SilkktheShocker, NumberSix, etc. and bad for everyone else.
Poor Durant. All he had was a top 5 player in Westbrook and sixth man of the year James Harden. :cry: Pathetic! :oldlol: Couldn't even beat a tired and injured Miami team with 2 franchise players beside him.

BigTicket
03-10-2014, 04:21 AM

You must really dislike Wilt then.

miggyme1
03-10-2014, 04:25 AM
Weren't the last two guys to have a 30.0+ per in the same season LBJ and Wade the year before they teamed up?

That is ringchasing in it's worst, most bitchmade form.

yea it is but the media had put so much pressure on lebrons shoulders to win one....im willing to bet my life that if someone had offered lebron a ring if he sucked their d^ck he would have.

not 1,not 2,not 3...keep sucking lebron! ha

JT123
03-10-2014, 04:27 AM
yea it is but the media had put so much pressure on lebrons shoulders to win one....im willing to bet my life that if someone had offered lebron a ring if he sucked their d^ck he would have.

not 1,not 2,not 3...keep sucking lebron! ha
Keep your homosexual thoughts to yourself fool. :biggums:

miggyme1
03-10-2014, 04:35 AM
They went to the ECF in 2009, yet lost in the 2nd round in 2010. The team was clearly taking steps backwards. :facepalm Everyone with half a brain knew that Cleveland team would never win a ring, especially not with Mo Williams as it's second option. Stop playing dumb. A bunch of regular season wins does not a championship contender make, see Chicago Bulls in 2011 and 2012. A hand out would be what Jordan and Kobe received throughout their careers, their front offices supplying them with multiple Hall of Famers. Not all stars have such luck, and thus are forced to create their own. Only reason you wanted him to stay in Cleveland was so he could finish his career ringless and thus not come close to your boy MJ. :lol

he will never get close to mj so thats not even up for discussion.
i agree that those cleveland teams werent getting any better...kinda sad that the cavs peaked in 07.lol

it was more a product of teams getting better through acquiring great talent ( something cleveland refused to do)like the celtics and magic. imo if it wasnt for that he would have won a ring in cleveland and he wouldnt be in miami today.

i never understood why they didnt get him help...all he needed imo was a legit second option...put bosh on those cavs team and he wins a ring no doubt..put pre knicks amare on them.....david west...pre bulls boozer......i can name more. cavs dropped the ball

miggyme1
03-10-2014, 04:37 AM
Keep your homosexual thoughts to yourself fool. :biggums:

a dick rider accusing me of homosexuality? what is ISH coming to? :facepalm

Myth
03-10-2014, 05:14 AM
it was more a product of teams getting better through acquiring great talent ( something cleveland refused to do)like the celtics and magic. imo if it wasnt for that he would have won a ring in cleveland and he wouldnt be in miami today.

i never understood why they didnt get him help...all he needed imo was a legit second option...put bosh on those cavs team and he wins a ring no doubt..put pre knicks amare on them.....david west...pre bulls boozer......i can name more. cavs dropped the ball

:biggums:

You think they refused to? Like they weren't trying? Bosh was under contract, Boozer already left Cavs and was under contract, etc. They probably could have pulled the trigger on an Amare deal that was rumored, but that would have crippled the Cavs further in reality anyway. They tried to get Redd when he was still pretty good. They traded for Shaq, who wasn't the same, but some thought that part of his recent failures was being in the wrong system in Phoenix. The team was mismanaged, but it is silly to think they weren't trying to get better.