PDA

View Full Version : The NBA really sucked in the 90s

rlsmooth775
03-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Why is this era becoming so overrated the only great part of the 90s was when the bulls first 3 peated. After Jordan came back he was the only exciting player teams were struggling to score 100 points. It was so bad the media had to hype high school players as being the next jordan.

LAZERUSS
03-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Why is this era becoming so overrated the only great part of the 90s was when the bulls first 3 peated. After Jordan came back he was the only exciting player teams were struggling to score 100 points. It was so bad the media had to hype high school players as being the next jordan.

Basketball popularity hit an all-time low in that decade...

JT123
03-09-2014, 10:42 PM
Without a doubt the weakest era in NBA history.

navy
03-09-2014, 10:43 PM
statistics?

The 90s were overrated, but that is the era most of us grew up in. Some obviously caught the 80s.

aj1987
03-09-2014, 10:44 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325300

LAZERUSS
03-09-2014, 10:44 PM
statistics?

The 90s were overrated, but that is the era most of us grew up in. Some obviously caught the 80s.

I was just being facetious.

LAZERUSS
03-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Every decade has had their share of great players and great teams.

navy
03-09-2014, 10:46 PM
I was just being facetious.
Well I know you're an old school fan so it was hard to tell. :D

LAZERUSS
03-09-2014, 10:47 PM
Well I know you're an old school fan so it was hard to tell. :D

I respect great players from every era.

Milbuck
03-09-2014, 10:56 PM
The fact that the media was hyping up high school kids speaks more to Jordan's greatness individually than the 90s as a whole.

The 90s had Hakeem, Shaq, Ewing, D-Rob, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Pippen, Reggie, Jordan, Payton, Mourning, Mutombo, Drexler, pre-injury Hill, Mullin, KJ, both Hardaways, Richmond, etc.

The 90s was ****ing amazing. Throw MJ in this era and 10 years from now we'd have morons like you saying the 2010s sucked...even though it already kinda does.

Crystallas
03-09-2014, 11:04 PM
LOL @ Thread.

x era is weak because I'm a fan of z era. Blah blah blah. I've been a fan since before Jordan, and the NBA has not had a weak era in my lifetime. the 00s might be the weakest, but that doesn't make it weak.

rlsmooth775
03-09-2014, 11:12 PM
The fact that the media was hyping up high school kids speaks more to Jordan's greatness individually than the 90s as a whole.

The 90s had Hakeem, Shaq, Ewing, D-Rob, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Pippen, Reggie, Jordan, Payton, Mourning, Mutombo, Drexler, pre-injury Hill, Mullin, KJ, both Hardaways, Richmond, etc.

The 90s was ****ing amazing. Throw MJ in this era and 10 years from now we'd have morons like you saying the 2010s sucked...even though it already kinda does.
When Jordan returned from baseball the NBA was garbage

Milbuck
03-09-2014, 11:14 PM
LOL @ Thread.

x era is weak because I'm a fan of z era. Blah blah blah. I've been a fan since before Jordan, and the NBA has not had a weak era in my lifetime. the 00s might be the weakest, but that doesn't make it weak.
The 00s era was stronger than today. There are 3 legit all-time great, top-tier HOFers in this era, KD, Lebron, and Wade - and one of them has been a shell of himself for almost 3 years now. James Harden is arguably a top 10 player. Kevin Love is considered a top 10 player...and has yet to make the playoffs in 6 seasons.

In the 00s you had Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, KG, and Dirk. Then you had guys like TMac, Iverson, Kidd, Vince, C-Webb, Nash, Ray, Pierce, Ming, Sheed, Wallace, Brand, Maron, etc. You can include overlap guys like Lebron, Wade, Manu, Parker, Melo, Gasol, Zbo, Stat.

Can you imagine how badly prime Shaq would shit on this current era?

-23-
03-09-2014, 11:17 PM

HUH? The all TIME finals record for most viewers was in the 90s.

rlsmooth775
03-09-2014, 11:21 PM
The 00s era was stronger than today. There are 2 legit all-time great, top-tier HOFers in this era, KD and Lebron. James Harden is arguably a top 10 player. Kevin Love is considered a top 10 player...and has yet to make the playoffs in 6 seasons.

In the 00s you had Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, KG, and Dirk. Then you had guys like TMac, Iverson, Kidd, Vince, C-Webb, Nash, Ray, Pierce, Ming, Sheed, Wallace, Brand, Maron, etc. You can include overlap guys like Lebron, Wade, Manu, Parker, Melo, Gasol, Zbo, Stat.

TMac Kidd KG Sheed Carter Iverson are all overrated

Black and White
03-09-2014, 11:22 PM

:biggums:

Milbuck
03-09-2014, 11:22 PM
And you're missing a chromosome.

JohnFreeman
03-09-2014, 11:23 PM
I think every era has been great :confusedshrug:

DonDadda59
03-09-2014, 11:28 PM
80s-90s = NBA Golden Era

It was so bad the media had to hype high school players as being the next jordan.

Because the name Jordan became synonymous with basketball. The NBA did their best to try to manufacture another MJ trying various methods, but no one has come close to capturing the public's imagination the way he did.

Dude still makes more money than virtually every athlete on the planet and he hasn't played a game in over a decade.

Budadiiii
03-09-2014, 11:33 PM
And you're missing a chromosome.
Outside of Kidd and KG, I don't think it's all that blasphemous to call those guys overrated.

They had all the talent in the world but lacked the intangibles that the LeBron and Durant's have.

Carmelo was always massively talented but George Karl came out the other day and told it how it is. He's not someone who is 100% dedicated to 'winning' and doing everything it takes on and off the court. Leadership, discipline, that sort of stuff. They play hard in the games.... but are they as focused off the court during practice and during film study? Did they work to build a winning culture?

It matters. A lot.

Milbuck
03-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Outside of Kidd and KG, I don't think it's all that blasphemous to call those guys overrated.

They had all the talent in the world but lacked the intangibles that the LeBron and Durant's have.

Carmelo was always massively talented but George Karl came out the other day and told it how it is. He's not someone who is 100% to 'winning' and doing everything it takes on and off the court. Leadership, discipline, that sort of stuff.

It matters. A lot.
Well that's a different point altogether, if we're comparing them to Lebron and KD. I don't think any of those guys are on KD and Lebron's level except KG.

Aside from KG and to a far lesser extent Kidd, I listed those other guys as all-star caliber players, not all-time great, upper-class HOFers or anything like that. Relative to other all-stars, those guys were pretty ****ing good. When Roy Hibbert and Joe Johnson are making all-star teams in this era, it's pretty absurd to call Iverson, TMac, Kidd, etc. overrated.

Budadiiii
03-09-2014, 11:40 PM
Well that's a different point altogether, if we're comparing them to Lebron and KD. I don't think any of those guys are on KD and Lebron's level except KG.

Aside from KG and to a far lesser extent Kidd, I listed those other guys as all-star caliber players, not all-time great, upper-class HOFers or anything like that. Relative to other all-stars, those guys were pretty ****ing good. When Roy Hibbert and Joe Johnson are making all-star teams in this era, it's pretty absurd to call Iverson, TMac, Kidd, etc. overrated.
Yah, I kinda took it outta context. I didn't read the whole thread.

I agree the league had more talent in the early 2000's than today. My bad.

03-10-2014, 12:36 AM
The '90s NBA was cool (my Rockets won their championships during the middle of this decade), but I prefer the 1970s and '80s myself. I even like the Tape Delay Era.

Fudge
03-10-2014, 12:43 AM
:facepalm

Retard.

crawdaddy4ou
03-10-2014, 12:53 AM
TMac and Iverson are overrated but prime Shaq would destroy this league.

Straight_Ballin
03-10-2014, 12:56 AM

^ :lol :lol :lol

Um, no.
Kidd has ranks 3rd for most triple doubles of anyone. Go take your meds!

Straight_Ballin
03-10-2014, 12:59 AM
TMac and Iverson are overrated but prime Shaq would destroy this league.

Let's be honest. Prime Shaq would shit on any era.

DonDadda59
03-10-2014, 01:10 AM

This. But against the scrubs playing C right now, every night would be like the finals :lol

Milbuck
03-10-2014, 01:31 AM
This. But against the scrubs playing C right now, every night would be like the finals :lol
This sounds like an exaggeration but I honestly think that's how it'd be.

In 2000 he averaged 30/14/4/3/1 on 57% shooting with a 30.6 PER, 115 ORTG, and 95 DRTG.

If you placed 2000 Shaq in this current season, I seriously think he could average 36/15/4/4/1 throughout the season. I shudder to think what he'd against teams like Philly or Utah.

davehos
03-10-2014, 01:36 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325300

QFT

I don't know what turnip truck the OP just fell off of ...

Dream Team mean anything to anyone? $$$$.

riseagainst
03-10-2014, 02:04 AM
lebron stans are simply straight retarded

sportjames23
03-10-2014, 02:10 AM
HUH? The all TIME finals record for most viewers was in the 90s.

Funny how these phaggety trolls try to rewrite history, ain't it?

This is the weakest era of the NBA (even All Time Great Jerry West says so), but notice how they try to say the most popular era in NBA history--the 90s--is the weakest.

sportjames23
03-10-2014, 02:10 AM
80s-90s = NBA Golden Era

Because the name Jordan became synonymous with basketball. The NBA did their best to try to manufacture another MJ trying various methods, but no one has come close to capturing the public's imagination the way he did.

Dude still makes more money than virtually every athlete on the planet and he hasn't played a game in over a decade.

Word. :cheers:

houston
03-10-2014, 02:12 AM
yea all them cba players came into the league

Angel Face
03-10-2014, 02:21 AM
90's is the best decade of the NBA. OP must have started watching NBA after LeBron joined Miami.

Deuce Bigalow
03-10-2014, 02:27 AM
I respect great players from every era.
Mikan or Wilt?

bdreason
03-10-2014, 02:32 AM
I loved the 90's and grew up in the MJ era. Had my first pair of MJ's in 5th grade, 1990 I believe. I don't know what the ratings or attendance records were like in the 90's, but I can tell you the hype/advertising/promotion of the game was in full swing.

I'm actually a fan of more defensive, lower scoring Basketball... but that's probably because I was raised on 90's hoops. I can tell you one thing, the game was far more diverse in the 90's than today. Everyone plays the same brand of ball today; spread the court, high p&r, drive or kick for 3. I heard a stat the other day that 25% of the shots in today's game are from beyond the arc. :oldlol:

DonDadda59
03-10-2014, 02:48 AM
I loved the 90's and grew up in the MJ era. Had my first pair of MJ's in 5th grade, 1990 I believe. I don't know what the ratings or attendance records were like in the 90's, but I can tell you the hype/advertising/promotion of the game was in full swing.

I'm actually a fan of more defensive, lower scoring Basketball... but that's probably because I was raised on 90's hoops. I can tell you one thing, the game was far more diverse in the 90's than today. Everyone plays the same brand of ball today; spread the court, high p&r, drive or kick for 3. I heard a stat the other day that 25% of the shots in today's game are from beyond the arc. :oldlol:

I swear, I see the same thing, especially in the west. Every team is the exact same with different logos slapped on their players. The lone exception being San Antonio (and maybe Memphis). All the other teams in the West- same shit different name.

Black Mamba's B
03-10-2014, 05:07 AM
The 00s era was stronger than today. There are 3 legit all-time great, top-tier HOFers in this era, KD, Lebron, and Wade - and one of them has been a shell of himself for almost 3 years now. James Harden is arguably a top 10 player. Kevin Love is considered a top 10 player...and has yet to make the playoffs in 6 seasons.

This. Oh yea and the 90's was dope

russwest0
03-10-2014, 05:17 AM
statistics?

the fact that u had to ask statistics on that... lmao.

90s were by far the peak in popularity for this sport.

salwan
03-10-2014, 05:25 AM

:applause:

OP's mom sucked in the 90s:lol

PsychoBe
03-10-2014, 05:49 AM

OP's mom sucked in the 90s:lol

his mother should have swallowed him.

ImKobe
03-10-2014, 05:50 AM
NBA was at it's peak popularity wise in the 90s

aj1987
03-10-2014, 06:11 AM

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but you mention all those guys and you forget about players like Blake, CP3, Curry, Howard, Westbrook, Rose (he'll be back), PG, Roy, Irving, Marc, LMA, Big Al, Al Horf, Wall, Noah, Bosh, Rondo, etc.

Lots of other players who have the potential to be great players as well and are just rounding into form (not all time great but Marion level players). For instance, Pekovic, Drummond, Monroe, etc. who are just a decent team/coach away from being at Marion level.

The problem is, the NBA is in sort of a transition period. The next couple of years (1-3), we'll see all there players develop into Superstars/All-Stars.

Asukal
03-10-2014, 07:06 AM

Shaq played 8 years of the 90's yet he couldn't "shit" on that era. :rolleyes:

Ai2death
03-10-2014, 07:15 AM

You do realize that the competition he faced in those years was far greater than any in this decade

Asukal
03-10-2014, 07:37 AM
You do realize that the competition he faced in those years was far greater than any in this decade

I thought the NBA sucked in the 90s? :confusedshrug:

And this one guy said Shaq would "shit" on any era. :confusedshrug:

poido123
03-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Clueless kids saying cute things like 90's suck :oldlol:

90's has probably the deepest pool of talent both in the hall of fame and players who form the top 10 ever.

The best era, closely followed by the 80's.

Rose'sACL
03-10-2014, 08:02 AM
OP is a better troll than euroleague. he made one post and didn't reply to anyone and this thread is still alive.

poido123
03-10-2014, 08:16 AM
OP is a better troll than euroleague. he made one post and didn't reply to anyone and this thread is still alive.

So true :roll:

RIP CITY
03-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Team wise the 80's and 2000's were my favorite era because the Pistons were Championship contenders for most of those two decades but overall NBA entertainment wise the 1990's were my favorite era so far. Today's era of self-entitled, whiny, soft, low basketball IQ players in a weak defensive era filled with floppers is causing me to lose interest in the sport. The superstar favoritism by the referees is worse than ever, even regular All-Stars get the superstar treatment now.

I miss the defense of the 90's, the physical play of the 80's and 90's. I miss the competitive spirit of the 90's, when teams actually disliked each other. Not this new era of having bromances with your opponents and teaming up to make super teams. Playing grab ass after the game, laughing and giggling like little school girls after you just got your ass kicked like losing doesn't matter. Plus there are just fewer players I enjoy rooting for in this era which makes it less enjoyable for me.

The Iron Sheik
03-10-2014, 08:27 AM
itt: the era i grew up in is the best

aj1987
03-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Clueless kids saying cute things like 90's suck :oldlol:

90's has probably the deepest pool of talent both in the hall of fame and players who form the top 10 ever.

The best era, closely followed by the 80's.
MJ is the only one who actually did anything meaningful, to be in the top 10, in the '90's. Shaq, Duncan, and Kobe belong to the '00's.

Didn't mention Hakeem because he's gonna get bounced by LeBron.

sportjames23
03-10-2014, 08:50 AM
MJ is the only one who actually did anything meaningful, to be in the top 10, in the '90's. Shaq, Duncan, and Kobe belong to the '00's.

aj1987
03-10-2014, 09:02 AM
In the top 10, you retard. Tim Duncan did win a ring, but he won 3 more in the '00's. Shaq, Kobe, and Duncan all won their rings (minus one for Duncan) in the '00's.

You MJ stans are hitting new levels of mental retardation. Making Kobe and LeBron stans look like geniuses.

poido123
03-10-2014, 09:09 AM

I think you're being kind of a*al here. Many of the great players crossed over the 90's

Duncan's era has extended over 3 decades. Which INCLUDES the 90's since he won his first championship in 88-89.

Kobe and Shaq both won on the crossover of 90's to 00's, both Shaq and Kobe played much of the 90's. Your choice how you "claim" a player in an era.

Then you have the list of players who form the top 50, like Pippen, Ewing, Drexler, Barkley, Payton, Malone, Stockton etc etc with many very good players who would be even more dominant today like Tmac, Kidd, Grant Hill, Rodman, Mourning etc etc

Marlo_Stanfield
03-10-2014, 09:17 AM
MJ stans are one pathetic bunch lmfao.
acting like 90s wasnt a shit era:biggums: :biggums: :coleman:

aj1987
03-10-2014, 09:27 AM
I think you're being kind of a*al here. Many of the great players crossed over the 90's

Duncan's era has extended over 3 decades. Which INCLUDES the 90's since he won his first championship in 88-89.
Kobe and Shaq both won on the crossover of 90's to 00's, both Shaq and Kobe played much of the 90's. Your choice how you "claim" a player in an era.
In the '00's (Why? because they were in their primes and peak).
Duncan - 3 Rings
Shaq - 4 Rings
Kobe - 4 Rings

Then you have the list of players who form the top 50, like Pippen, Ewing, Drexler, Barkley, Payton, Malone, Stockton etc etc with many very good players who would be even more dominant today like Tmac, Kidd, Grant Hill, Rodman, Mourning etc etc
You're doing the same thing I did, BTW. A lot of those players' careers span through the '80's and '90's. Not just the '90's.

Anyways, you really can't comment on this era yet. Most players are really young and haven't accomplished much. There are players who most likely will end up in the top 50 like: LeBron, KD, Wade, TP, CP3, Rose, Westbrook, etc.

acting like 90s wasnt a shit era
The '90's was by no means a "shit era". Better than today's for sure.

sportjames23
03-10-2014, 09:34 AM
In the top 10, you retard. Tim Duncan did win a ring, but he won 3 more in the '00's. Shaq, Kobe, and Duncan all won their rings (minus one for Duncan) in the '00's.

You MJ stans are hitting new levels of mental retardation. Making Kobe and LeBron stans look like geniuses.

This bitch mad as fvck. :oldlol:

poido123
03-10-2014, 09:35 AM
:wtf:

In the '00's (Why? because they were in their primes and peak).
Duncan - 3 Rings
Shaq - 4 Rings
Kobe - 4 Rings

You're doing the same thing I did, BTW. A lot of those players' careers span through the '80's and '90's. Not just the '90's.

Anyways, you really can't comment on this era yet. Most players are really young and haven't accomplished much. There are players who most likely will end up in the top 50 like: LeBron, KD, Wade, TP, CP3, Rose, Westbrook, etc.

The '90's was by no means a "shit era". Better than today's for sure.

This era ('10's) has potential to be a great one too.

Lebron, Durant, Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, Griffin, Paul, Curry if we are talking about their peaks in the '10's, and guys like Dirk, Kobe and KG etc who have crossed over decades...Then you have next year's draft class who could have some serious talent added to the league.

I think earlier this decade was weak, but now you are starting to see alot of talent coming in and superstar centres filtering in.

sportjames23
03-10-2014, 09:35 AM
acting like 90s wasnt a shit era:biggums: :biggums: :coleman:

And here goes the most ignorant asswipe of the Lebron stans.

Calabis
03-10-2014, 09:49 AM
So college basketball is weak as hell, yet according to young morons there is more talent today.......uh yeah ok.

Calabis
03-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Them smilies he used look like lebrons fan base....full of crackheads and little kids

aj1987
03-10-2014, 09:51 AM
:wtf:

This era ('10's) has potential to be a great one too.

Lebron, Durant, Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, Griffin, Paul, Curry if we are talking about their peaks in the '10's, and guys like Dirk, Kobe and KG etc who have crossed over decades...Then you have next year's draft class who could have some serious talent added to the league.

I think earlier this decade was weak, but now you are starting to see alot of talent coming in and superstar centres filtering in.
Isn't this exactly what I said in an earlier post?

From my earlier post:

Lots of other players who have the potential to be great players as well and are just rounding into form (not all time great but Marion level players). For instance, Pekovic, Drummond, Monroe, etc. who are just a decent team/coach away from being at Marion level.

Yea, you mad.

OldSchoolBBall
03-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Without a doubt the weakest era in NBA history.

Err, no. This is how the eras go, from best to worst:

mid-late 80's > early 90's >= mid-late 60's > mid-late 90's = '08-'present > 70's >= '99-'07.

What is UNQUESTIONABLE is that the early-mid 00's featured the absolute worst level of play of any era save perhaps the mid-late 70's.

Nevaeh
03-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Err, no. This is how the eras go, from best to worst:

mid-late 80's > early 90's >= mid-late 60's > mid-late 90's = '08-'present > 70's >= '99-'07.

What is UNQUESTIONABLE is that the early-mid 00's featured the absolute worst level of play of any era save perhaps the mid-late 70's.

Not a coincidence that fan support and actual numbers bear that out either. The "thug era", which culminated in that Pistons/Pacers brawl at the Palace, nearly sent David Stern into full on panic mode. Of course a lot of these guys talking ISH here were youngsters even during that era. Yet they know soooo much about the 90s all of a sudden.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Marlo_Stanfield
03-10-2014, 10:52 AM
weak era doe:banana: :banana:

Da_Realist
03-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Team wise the 80's and 2000's were my favorite era because the Pistons were Championship contenders for most of those two decades but overall NBA entertainment wise the 1990's were my favorite era so far. Today's era of self-entitled, whiny, soft, low basketball IQ players in a weak defensive era filled with floppers is causing me to lose interest in the sport. The superstar favoritism by the referees is worse than ever, even regular All-Stars get the superstar treatment now.

I miss the defense of the 90's, the physical play of the 80's and 90's. I miss the competitive spirit of the 90's, when teams actually disliked each other. Not this new era of having bromances with your opponents and teaming up to make super teams. Playing grab ass after the game, laughing and giggling like little school girls after you just got your ass kicked like losing doesn't matter. Plus there are just fewer players I enjoy rooting for in this era which makes it less enjoyable for me.

chocolatethunder
03-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Nah, he shit on that era. He lost in the finals to one of the best teams ever against one of the best players ever who was playing out of his mind. Shaq was a baby then. I'm almost 42 years old and I have never seen anyone like Shaq. While he may not be the best player ever, the guy was easily the most physically unstoppable player ever (maybe wilt too but I didn't see him play). The dude could get the ball on the block and just bully his way to a bucket. He was strong and unbelievably quick and athletic for his size. At age 22 he took a young team to the finals against one of the best teams ever and averaged 25 12 and almost 2 blocks. So please lemme know when a 22 year old does that against one of the best ever again. Oh wait, it won't be happening because that bum D Howard is the best this shitty league has to offer.