PDA

View Full Version : Next years raptors

barkleynash
03-10-2014, 12:18 PM
I am loving the season and hope for a division title and first round playoff win. All would be great towards building for the future. This is not a now team, but performing well now and developing an excellent culture has really helped set the stage for future years.
Continuity is a key element to the raps improving. The re-signing of Lowry is a must. This would be my raptors wish list for this season off season.

Re-sign lowry at 4 years and 40 million. Give Vaz the qualifying offer and that gives you two good point guards.
As much as I think he has really helped, Buy out Salmons for 1 mill and if it works for both parties, sign him for 2 years at 2.5 mill per year. If it doesn't work out you have a younger, more athletic version of him in Fields. Fields is pretty much untradeable, and I really think that his character and professionalism is overlooked.

Re-sign Patrick Patterson.
Essentially, standing pat is the right move and wait for Fields and Hayes and Hansbrough and Amir to come off the books at the end of next year and make a splash in free-agency in 2015. If you love those guys you sign them over the cap and pay the tax. I'm thinking that Amir would be that guy and maybe fields on a discounted price, if he can get consistent rotation minutes next year and become a piece to the future off the bench.

Summer of 2015 could look like this.
lowry, Vaz Drafted perimeter player, best player available
Derozen, Fields
Ross, Fields, Novak
amir Patterson,
Val Drafted center Star free-agent, or package draft picks and a player for a star. That
knicks pick could prove very valuable. Ideally, a combo forward would be ideal. Somebody who could play the 4-5. Or somebody who could play the three/four. Amir and Patterson as your first two posts off the bench on a contending team would be solid. As long as the new starter could play some center.

Lowry, Vaz Drafted point guard and Byucks
derozen, Fields Stone
Ross Fields Novak Salmons? or draft pick wing or Free-agent wing
Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough
Val, Hayes Free-agent center or drafted center

What are your thoughts on draft picks? I am also quite intrigued about our future Knicks draft pick. Bargnani is the gift that might keep on giving.
If Derozen can maintain all-star status and lowry can keep doing what he has done this year. The key to getting into championship status is huge growth/ allstar status from either Ross/ Val or both. If one of them can emerge as an all-star then the future is looking very bright. Val must become a defensive force, which is still a few years in coming. Add to that a possible free-agent piece in 2015 and solid, smart drafting and this young raptors team could become a perennial contender.

They will need some luck and big jumps from Ross and Val, but if the stars align, raps could be emerging just as Miami and Indiana's window closes.

barkleynash
03-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Qualifying Offer | Team Option | Player Option | Unguaranteed | Early Termination

Derozan $9,500,000 $9,500,000 $9,500,000 $9,500,000
Salmons $7,583,000 $7,000,000 Can buyout for 1 mill.
Johnson $6,500,000 $7,000,000 Unrestricted after next year
Fields $6,250,000 $6,250,000 Unrestricted after next year
Lowry $6,210,000 Unrestricted this year
Hayes $5,722,500 $5,958,750 Unrestricted after next year
Novak $3,750,001 $3,445,947 $3,750,001
Valanciunas $3,526,440 $3,678,360 $4,660,482 $6,179,799
Hansbrough $3,183,000 $3,326,235 Unrestricted after next year
Patterson $3,105,301 $4,319,474 -qualifying offer restricted
Camby* $2,763,054 $646,609 Has a small hit on next years cap
Ross $2,678,640 $2,793,960 $3,553,917 $4,790,680
Vasquez $2,150,188 $3,203,780 - qualifying offer restricted
Stone $884,293 $948,163 end of roster filler
Buycks $700,000 $816,482 $1,147,276 end of roster filler
De Colo is unrestricted- could be re-signed, maybe the third pg

Raps have excellent financial flexibility. Summer of 2015 they could have amir, hansbrough, Patterson, vaz, fields and hayes, stone, byucks coming off the books.
About 28 million in total. Yes some of those guys will be re-signed, but that still gives room for roster flexibility. We have all our first rounders, plus the knicks first rounder in 2016.

Jballer
03-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Playing GM for a minute here.

Not quite so rosy.

1) Klow signs for avg of $10.5M per year. ..estimate $5Mill cap hit

2) Qualify Vasquez/Patterson... estimate $5Mill cap hit

3) Ross/Val get raises. ~ neutral

4) We work really hard to unload Landry Fields ($7.5Mill cap hit due to averaging I think) but end up have to pay a portion of salary and or take back a middling contract./ swap some 2nd rounders etc etc .. estimate $2million cap hit.

$12Million cap hits in 2014-5 plus a draft pick.

This means two of four have to go:
1) Amir
2) Salmons
3) Hansboro
4) Novak

..but we have the pick and then 2 picks in 15/16.

I assume we keep the first two on the basis that both players are willing to resign for a little stability. $5Mill per year for 4 years against each of them to be on "a franchise on the upswing" and have more guarenteed years. Amir I think for sure / Salmons not so certain.

Hansboro / Novak move potentially with Fields for example.

Bottom line is there isnt that much room and flexability unless the picks come up and elimintate the need for : 1) Ross/Vasquez/Patterson.

Above all to the "mighty Q's" point.. do NOT over value this roster. Good team good players for now but not championship material...There is lots of room to improve in talent upgrades through the draft and trades.

bluerap
03-13-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm pretty happy with our roster this season.

Even guys at the end of the bench are pretty high quality for being the 12th, 13th guy on your roster.

I would definitely let salmons go (I prefer fields). Other than Salmons I would retain all the options/rfa's including PsychoT, PatPat, Vazquez.

There are two areas I look to upgrade: starting PF and end of the bench C.

I am willing to let one of Amir or PatPat go in order to upgrade.

There isn't a lot on the free agent market for the raps. I would make a hard push to bring bosh back (totally serious) and if that fails go for a low risk, high reward contract with a player like Andray Blatche.

Jballer
03-13-2014, 12:10 PM
^^ nothing wrong with that ..

Actually we may agree :cheers:

I think that Salmon > Fields is an assumption on my part not a contribution judgement. I think Salmons is near the twilight of his career and given the press / performance he may be inclined to stay on for more years less money. Fields therefore is the one out.

Patterson > Hansborough.. and Amir > both ...much the same although the money is closer. More around the thought that the qulaifying offer on BigP allows us to retain Bird rights (??? I think). Amir too is in a similar situation as Salmon... we overpayed to get him / keep him but if he likes it here and knows he has a role... he wil stay. Ergo Hansboro is odd man out. Not so much a contribution calculation as a numbers game.

Fire Colangelo
03-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Some part of me still doubts Lowry, partly due to this year being his contract year. Another being his injury history.

bluerap
03-14-2014, 09:06 AM
^^ nothing wrong with that ..

Actually we may agree :cheers:

I think that Salmon > Fields is an assumption on my part not a contribution judgement. I think Salmons is near the twilight of his career and given the press / performance he may be inclined to stay on for more years less money. Fields therefore is the one out.

Patterson > Hansborough.. and Amir > both ...much the same although the money is closer. More around the thought that the qulaifying offer on BigP allows us to retain Bird rights (??? I think). Amir too is in a similar situation as Salmon... we overpayed to get him / keep him but if he likes it here and knows he has a role... he wil stay. Ergo Hansboro is odd man out. Not so much a contribution calculation as a numbers game.

Difference is that we have Fields on a guaranteed contract for another year. Salmons only has 1 million guaranteed on his 7 million contract next year. So no way we are picking up the extra 6. Maybe they work an extension for better money, but I hope not.

Agree Amir>Pat>Hans. But Amir makes the most money next year so he may have to be the one to go if we can find a legit star PF.

bluerap
03-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Some part of me still doubts Lowry, partly due to this year being his contract year. Another being his injury history.

Definitely a gamble. I think Lowry has turned a corner and will be a great player for the next 3-4 years, but I could definitely be wrong about that one.

Jballer
03-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Difference is that we have Fields on a guaranteed contract for another year. Salmons only has 1 million guaranteed on his 7 million contract next year. So no way we are picking up the extra 6. Maybe they work an extension for better money, but I hope not.

Yep but the three year math under that assumption works my way.

Salmons 1million buyout 7 Million option becomes 5/5/5 = 15Million

Fields maybe signs for 4 Million (??) but 7.5 (cap hit number due to average) / 4 / 4/ = 15.5 Million

(Actually if I recall his cap hit is actually > $7.5 not sure)

So unless we assume the Fields < 4Million (??maybe) and no other team would come to party at 4 Million per (??maybe) the Salmons deal is actually the better one. Further 7.5 expiring is worth more as part of trade package than 1million buyout and gone (see your note on PF).

Finally for the half million less you get Salmons veteren pressence evidently respected by the team. He is the only guy with any playoff experience and doesnt have a history of "elbow nerve damage". Does this make Salmons > Fields ? Marginally / maybe at best but not enough that it is even worth a debate. The contribution both ways is simply bench behind Derozan / Ross

Salmons is probably the right contract to keep all things being equal.

bluerap
03-15-2014, 12:24 AM
But we are stuck with Fields because he is already signed for next year

You want to give a 31 year old john salmons 15 million :biggums:

Did you see the game tonight? He is an irrelevant player. If you want him as a leader in the locker room you can get lots of guys to do that for the veteran's minimum. And we already have Chuck Hayes for that.

If we can find someone to take fields (which there is no way we can) I still want no part of resigning Salmons. This team needs a 3 off the bench that can guard the bigger swingmen and hopefully produce a little offence. Salmons can do neither. I don't see why anyone says he is a good defender, he gets torched consistently. End of rant.

Dr.Funk
03-15-2014, 07:08 AM
There is no reason to bring back John Salmons whether Fields is here or not.

Jballer
03-16-2014, 07:54 PM
You want to give a 31 year old john salmons 15 million :biggums:

If we can find someone to take fields (which there is no way we can) I still want no part of resigning Salmons.

1) Salmons $15 Million ?

Answer Alvin Williams. Yep has happened and will happen again.

2) If we can find someone to take fields (which there is no way we can)

I guess this is the heart of the disagreement. I think Fields is a moveable asset to some team especially with an expiring contract and or Novak as well. In the short term.

I think Salmons at $5 per is a marketable asset with a $15M deal as well..so you have options.

3) I still want no part of resigning Salmons

Sure willing to concede you your opinion.:cheers:

Who else ? Fields only for 1 year ?

My take is you have to have 12 signed say 14/15 on the bench by the Collective Bargaining agreement. Salmons is good enough at the right price. Not gonna quibble though I just cant think of any FA I would want instead....unless there is a D leaguer we could target.

We certainly dont need more subpar PGs....

Jballer
03-16-2014, 07:56 PM
There is no reason to bring back John Salmons whether Fields is here or not.

Collective barginging agreement.

I really dont want a bench made up of D Leaguers and more PGs of questionable talent.

kmart
03-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Salmons is shooting 37% averaging 5 points, 2 assists, and 2 rebounds. We could find better fillers for 2-3 million. He's no Alvin Williams, he's completely expendable.

Legends66NBA7
03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Keep these players:

Lowry
DeRozan
Johnson
Ross
Valanciunas
Patterson
Vasquez

Find needs for:

-Size at SF and C off the bench. Two way players at both positions. Low post scoring threat would be the biggest need.

I don't mind keeping some veteran presence, but obviously not at the range of what Salmons has next year. I wouldn't mind Hayes mentoring Jonas. I would also like to see De Colo get some playing time.

bluerap
03-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Keep these players:

Lowry
DeRozan
Johnson
Ross
Valanciunas
Patterson
Vasquez

Find needs for:

-Size at SF and C off the bench. Two way players at both positions. Low post scoring threat would be the biggest need.

I don't mind keeping some veteran presence, but obviously not at the range of what Salmons has next year. I wouldn't mind Hayes mentoring Jonas. I would also like to see De Colo get some playing time.

I've been impressed by Hayes and I would bring back PsychoT because the option is so reasonable. I agree we need a better SF option off the bench. But I'd prefer a starting calibre PF to a C off the bench. (But I wouldn't mind bringing Gray back for 1-2 million). Andray Blatche may be a good option as he can play both front court positions and gives an option at starting PF.

Grey Dawn
03-17-2014, 10:23 PM
4 years more of Lowry is too much, give him 3 years at 32 mill and even then he may lose interest and get tired of sacrificing his body by the 3rd.

Please keep Patterson, he will take mid-level money and will be more than worth it

Legends66NBA7
03-18-2014, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I forgot about Hansbrough. He would be a keeper too, but I think were pretty deep in the PF position as it is.

I wouldn't mind a better PF starting over Amir, as I've heard rumors about Chris Bosh coming back in this scenario. Blatche is a very good talent, but I've seen a lot of negativity about his play from Nets fans. It seems that he's very inconsistent, needs the ball in his hands to make something happen, and doesn't play very good defense.

Jballer
03-18-2014, 11:40 AM
The CBA requires teams to have a minimum 13 (12 active 1 inactive) but promises the players association a league wide average of 14.

DeColo is UFA. Not sure where /if he lands. If you waive Salmons I assume you keep Bucycks and Stone and 1st round draft pick to make your 13-14 roster.
___

Basically if you dont resign Salmons you have collective cap hits of $1Million and $600M for Camby for non roster spots. $1.6Mill gone from the cap.
(If I understand correctly resigning Salmons obviously has only direct cap hit).

__

Our "realistic FA pool" at forward I guess is below... but realize if you sign one below it is effectively $1-$1.6M higher as the player is taking the place of a (two) non player cap hits.

I am not sure any of these guys come for less than $8Million (or want more) plus the $1.6 on the books...but if you want to be the GM - you have to be prepared to sign one of these guys...

Depending on price I would take one of these guys over Salmons - its just price and years I would worry about.

Ray Allen Miami Heat U
Thabo Sefolosha Oklahoma City Thunder U
Ben Gordon Charlotte Bobcats U
Brandon Rush Utah Jazz U
Lance Stephenson Indiana Pacers U
Danny Granger LA Clippers U
Luol Deng Cleaveland Cavs U
Caron Butler Milwaukee Bucks U
Shawn Marion Dallas Mavericks U
Pau Gasol L.A. Lakers U
Rashard Lewis Miami Heat U
Kris Humphries Boston Celtics U

Hence I dont mind Salmons in the "right contract"; but I get a lot of guys dont feel he adds $5Million in value... I just think that $5M in value is kind of the going rate......

(and the cap hits we take on Klow new deal etc etc etc).

Toni
03-18-2014, 05:14 PM
I'm fine with letting Fields play out the last year of that horrible contract coming off the bench instead of resigning Salmons. Maybe he will develop some trade value and we can flip his expiring contract for an asset towards the deadline.

Only resign Salmons if its a two year deal with a team option on the second year for $4-$6 million tops (The Ujiri Special).

bluerap
03-18-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm fine with letting Fields play out the last year of that horrible contract coming off the bench instead of resigning Salmons. Maybe he will develop some trade value and we can flip his expiring contract for an asset towards the deadline.

Only resign Salmons if its a two year deal with a team option on the second year for $4-$6 million tops (The Ujiri Special).

I agree with the first statement. I will be shocked if Salmons lands a contract anywhere in the NBA for more than the vet minimum.

raptorfan_dr07
03-23-2014, 01:39 AM
Ray Allen Miami Heat U
Thabo Sefolosha Oklahoma City Thunder U
Ben Gordon Charlotte Bobcats U
Brandon Rush Utah Jazz U
Lance Stephenson Indiana Pacers U
Danny Granger LA Clippers U
Luol Deng Cleaveland Cavs U
Caron Butler Milwaukee Bucks U
Shawn Marion Dallas Mavericks U
Pau Gasol L.A. Lakers U
Rashard Lewis Miami Heat U
Kris Humphries Boston Celtics U

No to any of those players except for Stephenson. Those are all treadmill signings except for Lance who I don't think leaves Indiana anyways.

Salmons needs to have his option declined and then replaced. Ideally, we'd fill that spot through the draft as there are some interesting wing prospects that are projected to be available at our spot(20th) such as Jerami Grant, Kyle Anderson, and PJ Hairston. A young wing with potential who can grow and develop alongside Derozan and Ross while being the first wing off the bench.

Most importantly, any of those potential signings just gives Casey(assuming he is even brought back) another excuse to keep Ross on the bench.

barkleynash
03-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Excellent posts everybody. Nobody going off on people for their ideas is a breath of fresh air on here.

I tend to lean towards allowing Salmons to go with the buyout and not bringing him back.
Fields can do everything that Salmons does, is younger and a better rebounder/ cutter. Him and De Colo are definitely able to fill the roles by Salmons, ball-handling. They actually stay in their roles better. Don't get me wrong, Salmons will play in the playoffs over both guys because Casey loves him. Ujiri knows he can't trade Fields, so Salmons is gone. It will make no difference on the results of next years team. They actually get younger and more athletic by playing fields and de Colo.

Lowry Vazquez De colo
Derozen, De Colo
Ross Fields
Amir Patterson, phycho T.
Val Hayes Draft Pick. Maybe Bachynski from Arizona state

but most likely best player available. I trust Masai to make an excellent pick.

Let everybody grow for one more year. You then have de colo, Vazquez, fields,, psycho t. hayes, amir coming off the books. I think they should probably lock up Patterson.
You then have some cap space for the summer of 2015 as well as two first round draft picks. Let the young guys grow together and if Derozen and Lowry continue to play at an all-star level you just have to hope that Ross and/or val make huge leaps and you are suddenly a real contender in the east when Miami starts to get past their window. Then you take the plunge and go over the salary cap.

This is the totally optimistic view, but keeping this young roster together, add 3 first round draft picks in the next two years, plus cap space in 2015 and it seems like this franchise has really turned the corner.

bluerap
03-23-2014, 12:14 PM
I've noticed a couple people mention that we have 2 picks in 2015 but I think that is incorrect. We have the knicks pick in 2016.

barkleynash
03-23-2014, 10:58 PM
You are right. We have our pick this year and next and have two picks in 2016

Jballer
03-24-2014, 10:29 PM
My bad - I thought it was not this draft but next... memory didn't look it up.

letshaveacorona
03-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Chris Bosh anyone?

He could be a free agent if he opts out. Just asking does anyone else think that a front court of Val-Bosh-Amir would be lethal?

I might wrong but I think starting lineup would be Nasty:

Lowry
DeRozan
Ross
Bosh
Val

What do you guys think? Would he even consider opting out and coming back?

Dr.Funk
03-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Chris Bosh anyone?

He could be a free agent if he opts out. Just asking does anyone else think that a front court of Val-Bosh-Amir would be lethal?

I might wrong but I think starting lineup would be Nasty:

Lowry
DeRozan
Ross
Bosh
Val

What do you guys think? Would he even consider opting out and coming back?

I doubt he would but he would be a great fit with this roster.

Jballer
04-16-2014, 01:54 PM
I guess I have to take it back. Salmons is gone at any price.

I looked at that "other website" and posted in some number (speculative) on Klow, Rookie Draft pick cost. Assuming the Camby hit is still on our cap and Landry Fields is actually as high as his final year salary - we will only be able to keep DeColo and Bucyks.

You add 1 first round rookie deals at ~ $1.3M (18th pick so to speak) this year and we are at cap 2014/15. Add in 1 first round next year we are only $18Million under in 2015/16 making assumptions about Vasquez and Patterson (say $5.5Million each).

No free agents. No Salmons. No Stone (or Bucyks).

The only room to move is Cedric/Fields/ Novak unless you consider moving a Ross (not likely given cap constraints).

DeMar DeRozan $9,500,000.00
Amir Johnson $7,000,000.00
Kyle Lowry $11,000,000.00
Chuck Hayes $5,958,750.00
Landry Fields $8,500,000.00
Steve Novak $3,445,947.00
Jonas Valanciunas $3,678,360.00
Marcus Camby $4,177,208.00
Tyler Hansbrough $3,326,235.00
Patrick Patterson $4,319,473.00
Terrence Ross $2,793,960.00
Greivis Vasquez $3,203,780.00
Nando De Colo $900,000.00
Dwight Buycks $816,482.00
1st round rookie $1,300,000.00

Total $69,920,195.00

Qwyjibo
04-16-2014, 03:10 PM
That's assuming Patterson and Vazquez take their qualifying offers. Vazquez should get a better offer sheet on the market which the Raptors may not be able to match.

Zan Tabak
04-16-2014, 06:22 PM
Landry Fields $8,500,000.00

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NdOK1XL3uIw/UYFe0wPnR8I/AAAAAAAAAKA/iwznG2jcWkM/s1600/facepalm.gif

rightsideup
05-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Just curious can the nerve damage that effects field's shooting ever be repaired? He can be such an asset if his shooting improves.

barkleynash
05-24-2014, 04:40 PM
I'd be surprised if ujiri did anything drastic. I think he drafts a wing defender mcdaniels. Brings in bachynski with the 58 pick.

Stone byucks gone
Hansbrough salmons bought out to open room for raps to sign lowry, Patterson, Vazquez, de colo.

As well as defensive wing free agent. Tucker or sefalosha.
38pick. Take a speedy point guard like a Russ smith or Napier if he falls that far.