PDA

View Full Version : Brooks says KD can guard 1-5

JT123
03-10-2014, 06:50 PM
:facepalm The article is on ESPN's NBA page. Now Durant has his coach overhyping his defense in order to get a DPOY award. :rolleyes:
I would LOVE to see Durant "guard" guys like Dwight Howard and Big Al. Fool couldn't even contain Chalmers in the Finals. :roll:

Cold soul
03-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Lol straight up comedy. :roll:

Knicks101
03-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Well he can, doesn't mean he's any good at it.

navy
He can guard 2-4. Lebron can guard 1-4 .

SavageMode
KD tries too hard to be like Lebron.

red1
literally lol'd

STATUTORY
03-10-2014, 07:05 PM
ni99a's really biting bron's whole act. :roll:

Fudge
03-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Tis true. I remember moments where he defended M.Gasol and actually did well.

Brooks preachin.

:applause:

BlackVVaves
03-10-2014, 07:07 PM
ni99a's really biting bron's whole act. :roll:

How is KD biting Bron's whole act when it was his coach, not him, who made the comments?

Anyway. He probably could guard positions 1-5. Doesn't mean he'd be very effective though. He should stick to 2-4.

ForeverHeat
03-10-2014, 07:10 PM
If by "guard 1 - 5" he means he can guard 1 to 5 times a game hes reaching.

DonDadda59
03-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Well he can, doesn't mean he's any good at it.

Same thing as Lebron. Guys love touting how great he is at guarding 1-5 but this season alone I've seen him get his shit pushed in by the likes of Swaggy P and Blake.

Overrated D is overrated.

Heavincent
03-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Can't guard Jodie Meeks though.

pauk
03-10-2014, 07:18 PM
I think you can say this about... well... literally any player... lol...

But not everybody could do it as well as say Rodman, Pippen, Lebron and Bobby Jones... you have to have PF/C strength/size maybe even stronger than avg PF/Cs to perhaps make up for the length you will be most often lacking guarding some PFs or especially Cs... combined with Point-Guard agility/quickness/speed/hands....

Keno
03-10-2014, 07:19 PM
If by "guard 1 - 5" he means he can guard 1 to 5 times a game hes reaching.

lmaooooooooo this.

aj1987
03-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Same thing as Lebron. Guys love touting how great he is at guarding 1-5 but this season alone I've seen him get his shit pushed in by the likes of Swaggy P and Blake.

Overrated D is overrated.
Lol! Wut? Young scored 20 points on 39% (18 shots) the first time and 19 points on 40% (20 points) the second time.

BG was incredible both times though and LeBron really didn't guard him too much.

Keno
03-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Can't guard Jodie Meeks though.

or gerald green, or kent bezmore, or ryan kelly. lmao.

KyrieTheFuture
03-10-2014, 07:42 PM
I can guard 1-5 about as effectively as KD can.

Milbuck
03-10-2014, 07:43 PM
There is only one guy who will ever be able to defend AND play all 5 positions at an elite level. Not just barely, but at an elite level.

https://d13csqd2kn0ewr.cloudfront.net/uploads/image/file/20336/w640xh480_USPW_970189.jpg

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/journaltimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/38/7380af4a-5bd6-11e3-8422-001a4bcf887a/529d64bd29db8.preview-620.jpg

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2014/02/81935721.jpg

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2014/01/8096762.jpg

No one else.

JohnFreeman
03-10-2014, 07:44 PM
He can't even guard the Small Forward position :oldlol:

NumberSix
03-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Let's work on being able to guard Mario Chalmers before we start contemplating guys like Dwight Howrd.

Cold soul
03-10-2014, 08:02 PM
KD is still a bad defender to average at best.

Heavincent
03-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Thunder have missed Thabo. Been getting torched by perimeter players ever since he went down.

russwest0
03-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Tis true. I remember moments where he defended M.Gasol and actually did well.

Brooks preachin.

:applause:

True shit. Guarded 1-5 vs Memphis that game and did well on everybody.

Oh wait, only LeBron can guard 1-5! KD is teh suxks!11!
^Prob too late but wouldn't be surprised to see that shit in here

INDI
03-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Only Rodman could guard 1-5 and do it succesfully. Followed by maybe kirilenko

JohnMax
03-10-2014, 09:29 PM
can't guard Blake Griffin though

DuMa
03-10-2014, 09:31 PM
cant guard westbrook from getting the ball

NumberSix
03-10-2014, 09:32 PM
can't guard Blake Griffin though
KD routinely gets lit up by such powerhouses as Mario Chalmers, Gerald Green and Jodie Meeks.

Solefade
03-10-2014, 10:41 PM
KD routinely gets lit up by such powerhouses as Mario Chalmers, Gerald Green and Jodie Meeks.

don't forget Bazemore, the summer league MVP! :bowdown:

JohnFreeman
03-10-2014, 10:42 PM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/1f7b873fec16573d26011e481ed0e50e/tumblr_inline_n1hy48UTMW1qklnuf.gif

Lone Laker
03-10-2014, 10:48 PM
He'll get his chance tomorrow when The Beard comes to town...

bizil
03-11-2014, 03:02 PM
When it comes to guys who come the closest to being able to defend 1-5 VERY GOOD TO GREAT, u have these kind of guys:

Rodman
Lebron
KG
Bill Russell
Pippen
Bobby Jones
Kirilenko
Marion
Ben Wallace

And with these guys, they are more likely to defend four positions and the most. And that's a hell of a feat in itself. I frankly feel Rodman might come the closest though. KD at best is ONLY a good defender not great like these guys. So NO KD doesn't qualify. On offense, he can play SG-SF-PF. And he's come a long was as a passer.

The Iron Sheik
03-11-2014, 03:07 PM
http://i62.tinypic.com/2lm6w5x.gif

TMT
03-11-2014, 03:09 PM
In my opinion he's just about as capable as Lebron is at guarding 1 through 5s. Considering we never see either player do it...

MichaelCheazley
03-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Well he did guard mario chalmers in the finals

Keno
03-11-2014, 03:29 PM
In my opinion he's just about as capable as Lebron is at guarding 1 through 5s. Considering we never see either player do it...

lebron on the best pg at the time rose: twenty five points on twenty nine shots - 31% shooting and 22% shooting in the fourth quarter.

durant on the worst pg at the time chalmers: twenty five points on sixteen shots - 60% shooting.

sorry but it's not even close.

livinglegend
03-11-2014, 03:33 PM

:oldlol: Let s be real, you are still butthurt because of 2013 finals so you ll always try to make Lebron look worse.

TMT
03-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Yes, I agree that Lebron has the great ability to guard smaller players. But when does Lebron ever demonstrate that he can guard 4s or even 5s? Does he ever guard Noah when facing the Bulls? Dwight when facing the Rockets? Even Duncan during last the last Finals in San Antonio? No.

I understand how in theory people would assume he has the right skill set to do so, but the times he has actually demonstrated it are next to none.

Keno
03-11-2014, 03:37 PM
lmaoooo i just noticed he's a spurs fan, didn't lebron just do a very good job on tony parker last june? delusional haters.

TMT
03-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Take it as bias if you wish, but it's a very valid point. Lebron doesn't guard bigs often at all. :confusedshrug:

Keno
03-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Yes, I agree that Lebron has the great ability to guard smaller players. But when does Lebron ever demonstrate that he can guard 4s or even 5s? Does he ever guard Noah when facing the Bulls? Dwight when facing the Rockets? Even Duncan during last the last Finals in San Antonio? No.

I understand how in theory people would assume he has the right skill set to do so, but the times he has actually demonstrated it are next to none.

lebron last season guarded and basically shut down pau gasol, he was the primary defender on gasol since bosh was out with an injury (iirc). keep in mind, gasol also had played center for majority of his career, he can go both ways.

this doesn't even show the entire game, just a few clips: http://youtu.be/AV3O94yv4vc

lebron: thirteen total rebounds (seven offensive) and two blocks.
gasol: ten total rebounds (five offensive) and one block.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=320304013

Genaro
03-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Lebron can't guard 1-5 either. The same hype machine that people use on Lebron, Broks is using now on Durant.

If Bran can guard 5's why don't he guard Hibbert and stop him to torch Miami everytime they face each other? :confusedshrug:

TMT
03-11-2014, 03:45 PM
lebron last season guarded and basically shut down pau gasol, he was the primary defender on gasol since bosh was out with an injury (iirc). keep in mind, gasol also had played center for majority of his career, he can go both ways.

this doesn't even show the entire game, just a few clips: http://youtu.be/AV3O94yv4vc

lebron: thirteen total rebounds (seven offensive) and two blocks.
gasol: ten total rebounds (five offensive) and one block.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=320304013

Not exactly a very large sample size you are providing here.

One game against a past prime Pau Gasol...

Nash
03-11-2014, 03:51 PM

ehh, Rose, Parker just this last playoffs. 2, 3 and 4 we see him do all the time.

5's on the other hand I've he doesn't do too often. I've seen him do work on Pau Gasol and a few others but usually they have Bosh guarding that position so no need for Lebron to go there. Lebron is so big and strong, he usually weights more than todays centers anyway and is faster and more athletic.

Nash
03-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Take it as bias if you wish, but it's a very valid point. Lebron doesn't guard bigs often at all. :confusedshrug:
Just this last playoffs Lebron was guarding West before taking on Parker.

TMT
03-11-2014, 03:56 PM
ehh, Rose, Parker just this last playoffs. 2, 3 and 4 we see him do all the time.

5's on the other hand I've he doesn't do too often. I've seen him do work on Pau Gasol and a few others but usually they have Bosh guarding that position so no need for Lebron to go there. Lebron is so big and strong, he usually weights more than todays centers anyway and is faster and more athletic.

I'd say he can guard 1 through 3 effectively. But anything more than that is a bit of a myth. Until he proves otherwise on a consistent basis it's nothing more than pure speculation. That being said, Brooks saying that about KD is just as ridiculous. He just wants Durant to get the same empty praise in this category that Lebron does, so to speak.

TMT
03-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Just this last playoffs Lebron was guarding West before taking on Parker.

Duncan was outplaying Bosh for most of the Finals. Why didn't Lebron step in and guard him at any point?

riseagainst
03-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Lebron can't guard 1-5 either. The same hype machine that people use on Lebron, Broks is using now on Durant.

If Bran can guard 5's why don't he guard Hibbert and stop him to torch Miami everytime they face each other? :confusedshrug:

this.

I like how all the lebron stans are laughing at this while they all say Lebron, who got torched by Jason Terry and JJ Barea, can defend 1-5. :lol

Nash
03-11-2014, 04:04 PM
I'd say he can guard 1 through 3 effectively. But anything more than that is a bit of a myth. Until he proves otherwise on a consistent basis it's nothing more than pure speculation. That being said, Brooks saying that about KD is just as ridiculous. He just wants Durant to get the same empty praise in this category that Lebron does, so to speak.
What empty praise? Are you serious, you hate Lebron so much that it clouds your judgement. Lebron went from guarding a big in the Indiana series, West, to guarding a small in Tony Parker doing both effectively in the most important moments of the season. How often do you see Brooks going, "hmm, that guard or that PF is torching us, put our best defender Durant on him to stop him" and Durant actually being successful in doing it?

Lebron has a proven record, since he joined Miami we see him on different kinds of assignments on defence every playoffs.

LongLiveTheKing
03-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Duncan was outplaying Bosh for most of the Finals. Why didn't Lebron step in and guard him at any point?
LeBron blocked Tim multiple times in the finals.

TMT
03-11-2014, 04:12 PM
What empty praise? Are you serious, you hate Lebron so much that it clouds your judgement. Lebron went from guarding a big in the Indiana series, West, to guarding a small in Tony Parker doing both effectively in the most important moments of the season. How often do you see Brooks going, "hmm, that guard or that PF is torching us, put our best defender Durant on him to stop him" and Durant actually being successful in doing it?

Lebron has a proven record, since he joined Miami we see him on different kinds of assignments on defence every playoffs.

You're going in circles here, man. No one in this thread is doubting that Lebron can guard smaller players. It's a given that because of his combination of speed and size, he excels at doing so.

You want to say he guarded West for a majority of the Pacers series last year? I'd be willing to bet that after seeing the raw numbers that Lebron spent much more time guarding George and Stephenson. Just because the starting lineup that Miami has used (Lebron at 4, Bosh at 5), which causes Lebron's starting matchup to be against West, doesn't mean he stays matched up against him for a majority of the time.

Like I said before, Lebron may guard bigs of switches or for short periods of time but he never takes it upon himself to guard the likes of Howard, Noah, Duncan, Dirk, KG, ect. Thus, saying he can effectively guard 1-5 is pure speculation.

TMT
03-11-2014, 04:13 PM
LeBron blocked Tim multiple times in the finals.

Which were off help defensive plays. How many times was Lebron actually matched up with him in the Finals though?

livinglegend
03-11-2014, 04:20 PM
You're going in circles here, man. No one in this thread is doubting that Lebron can guard smaller players. It's a given that because of his combination of speed and size, he excels at doing so.

You want to say he guarded West for a majority of the Pacers series last year? I'd be willing to bet that after seeing the raw numbers that Lebron spent much more time guarding George and Stephenson. Just because the starting lineup that Miami has used (Lebron at 4, Bosh at 5), which causes Lebron's starting matchup to be against West, doesn't mean he stays matched up against him for a majority of the time.

Like I said before, Lebron may guard bigs of switches or for short periods of time but he never takes it upon himself to guard the likes of Howard, Noah, Duncan, Dirk, KG, ect. Thus, saying he can effectively guard 1-5 is pure speculation.

2 years ago, when Bosh got injured, he guarded West full-time for 1-2 games ( did well against him). At the end of those games, he was too tired. He had to expand too much energy by fronting him, boxing out, etc. Consequently, he had less energy to expand on the offensive end where his team really needs him. So, after those games, he stopped guarding big men full-time and instead, he started to guard them for some important parts of the time like in the 4th quarter. That doesnt mean that he cant guard them.

pegasus
03-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Just like Lebron can guard 1-5 and dance in front of 6-13.

The Iron Sheik
03-11-2014, 04:22 PM

tony parker hit a game winner on lebron in the first game of the finals

Nash
03-11-2014, 04:23 PM

Who says Lebron guards PF's or Guards most of the game? Lebron never guards a guard or PF the whole game, because he has 3's to guard and you'd be an idiot if you let Lebron spend his whole energy on guarding bigs the whole game. But when it counts and when a PG or a PF is torching Miami sometime in the 4th quarter, they switch Lebron to that man as Spoelstra famously has done on Parker, Rose and West.

And I never said Lebron can guard 7 footers. Lebron can guard 1-4 and SOME 5's. No need to mention rare 7 foot PF's to prove a point when there are no real 7 foot PF's in this league anyway.

navy
03-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Lebron can guard 4's his size and is a great help defender. He cannot guard the five position, unless it is from an offensively challenged center. (Damn near all of them)

He cannot guard Duncan or Hibbert.

uoykcuf
03-11-2014, 06:21 PM

Well, for starters, foul trouble? Not to mention I'm sure it'd be quite taxing.

Prometheus
03-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Durant is the GOAT defensive center and it's not close

Rose'sACL
03-11-2014, 06:36 PM
lebron can guard 1-4 pretty well. he can't guard Cs that have too much height advantage on him which are most of them.
I have seen him do pretty well against west. he can't stay on him for more than a few minutes though for obvious reasons as he is the main offensive force on heat.