PDA

View Full Version : Marcin Gortat Wants Fighting in the NBA

ralph_i_el
03-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Any rule changes that you think would help the NBA game? For instance, sometimes they talk about instituting FIBA goaltending rules in the NBA. Any thoughts on that or any other changes that would help the game play?

The goaltending? It definitely wouldn’t help. You have too many athletic guys in this league that would tip the ball out of the rim, so pretty much to make a basket you will need to swish it, you know what I’m saying?

I would say I would loosen up a little bit the rules about the fighting fines. That’s what I would loosen up. Because today you go to an ice hockey game, and the one thing they’re waiting for is a fight, you know what I’m saying? So if they could set it up something like that in the NBA. That if there are two guys and they have a problem, if they could just separate everybody. And these two people that have problem, if they could fight ...

During the game?

During the game. Quick, 15-20 seconds, throw few punches, then referees jump in and break this thing up. I think the game ... these two guys, they resolved their problem. They’re both suspended and they’re leaving. But end of the day, they fix the problem between each other, fans are super excited, and I think that would be a pretty cool idea [chuckles].

I wouldn't want to go hand to hand with gortat.

Bibby4Three
03-10-2014, 09:00 PM
NHL is trying to take it out of their game and you are gonna advertise it for the NBA?

Dumbass Gortat. :lol

moe94
03-10-2014, 09:00 PM
That hockey mindset...

sammichoffate
03-10-2014, 09:01 PM
The irony is the NBA was like this till the Malice in the Palace :rockon:

FaceSmack
03-10-2014, 09:04 PM
I would pay to see someone hit Lebron in the head hard for about 20 seconds

Make it happen Silverman

Rubio2Gasol
03-10-2014, 09:08 PM
In an ideal world, with no racism, I'd love it. Not just fighting, but more just cut out all the bullshit techs and "points of emphasis" I want an NBA where a dude can foul someone hard in peace. Where you don't get a tech for looking at someone intimidatingly.

But because the guys throwing the punches are black, it's an image problem.

Draz
03-10-2014, 09:10 PM
It'll never happen. Sadly,

JimmyMcAdocious
03-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Crazy Polish people.

ralph_i_el
03-10-2014, 09:11 PM
In an ideal world, with no racism, I'd love it. Not just fighting, but more just cut out all the bullshit techs and "points of emphasis" I want an NBA where a dude can foul someone hard in peace. Where you don't get a tech for looking at someone intimidatingly.

make a rule that only the white guys can fight:roll:
teams would be sending in jimmer to fight kirk hinrich tell me you wouldn't love to see that :roll:

Bibby4Three
03-10-2014, 09:12 PM
make a rule that only the white guys can fight:roll:
teams would be sending in jimmer to fight kirk hinrich tell me you wouldn't love to see that :roll:

Nah Cant happen....same team. :facepalm

Thunderfan86
03-10-2014, 09:13 PM
I would pay to see someone hit Lebron in the head hard for about 20 seconds

Make it happen Silverman
It wouldn't be fair because Lebron James can't fight.

sammichoffate
03-10-2014, 09:14 PM

But because the guys throwing the punches are black, it's an image problem.http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzxsyufYi61qfmgozo1_500.gif

ralph_i_el
03-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Nah Cant happen....same team. :facepalm

damn I forgot. They can tag team against Tyler Hansbrough and General Greivis

Derka
03-10-2014, 09:15 PM
All the shit today with concussions? Wouldn't happen.

Furthermore, regular injuries over the course of the season are bad enough...is the NBA prepared to lose Lebron, Durant, Melo and other big names for weeks at a time when some goon busts his jaw? Methinks not.

Rubio2Gasol
03-10-2014, 09:19 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzxsyufYi61qfmgozo1_500.gif

Better times.

Now guys like Jodie Meeks and Terrence Ross score 40 and 50, and no one even bothers to throw an elbow their way.

Pathetic.

sammichoffate
03-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Better times.

Now guys like Jodie Meeks and Terrence Ross score 40 and 50, and no one even bothers to throw an elbow their way.

Pathetic.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pyq7CPHHedA/T0kPGhNU0MI/AAAAAAAADJo/6cvSuO9G-So/s1600/1992175_o.gif

Geriatric
03-10-2014, 11:24 PM
I think Gortat is onto something here. Instead of the current lottery system, which leads teams to try to tank to get young talent, the league should hold a 30 man battle royal at the end of each season. One player from each team is randomly picked to participate with the teams draft order being determined by how long their player ends up lasting in the match.

League could hold a pay-per-view event instead of the reqular draft show to generate even more revenue.

gts
03-10-2014, 11:27 PM
All the shit today with concussions? Wouldn't happen.

Furthermore, regular injuries over the course of the season are bad enough...is the NBA prepared to lose Lebron, Durant, Melo and other big names for weeks at a time when some goon busts his jaw? Methinks not. this

Owners pay way too much money for these guys to be taking hard fouls and punches... Need em on the floor not on the sidelines

Akrazotile
03-10-2014, 11:32 PM
People explainin why this cant happen as if it would ever be seriously considered. :lol

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-11-2014, 12:17 AM
People explainin why this cant happen as if it would ever be seriously considered. :lol
well sliver is a lil bit more open minded

LosScandalous
03-11-2014, 12:19 AM
http://i.imgur.com/lq0hRXL.gif

dude almost died from this haymaker

sportjames23
03-11-2014, 12:21 AM

Summed it all up, bruh. Co-sign. :cheers:

Qwyjibo
03-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Better times.

Pathetic.
Why is that a bad thing? I watch basketball to watch fine skill on display. Not brutes throwing cheap shots to other players.

UK2K
03-11-2014, 12:25 AM
I started following hockey cause its the only manly sport left.

Football has fallen waaaay off. May as well get the flags out for it.

HoopsFanNumero1
03-11-2014, 12:28 AM
Better times.

Pathetic.

You sound like a complete moron. Go watch boxing or MMA or some shit if you want to see two guys fight it out.

sportjames23
03-11-2014, 12:35 AM
I miss these days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKhdP1g0CQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XNqYf03Qk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4oF34p3-rQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUmz44FurLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idA9Vym1F54

Seems like the Lakers and Celtics were involved in plenty of fights back then (of course, the Pistons, too). Can you imagine any stars from today fighting? Hell, no.

And that last vid with Parish punching Laimbeer? He didn't even get called for a foul on that play. That 1987 Celtics vs Pistons series is my favorite playoff series ever.

yobore
03-11-2014, 12:38 AM
James Johnson from Dleague to GOAT

T-Time3
03-11-2014, 12:59 AM
Marcin for president !!!

ABfor3
03-11-2014, 01:11 AM
Marcin for president !!!
Haha when that happens maybe I'll actually purchase an NBA season pass, I wanna watch every games fights

Angel Face
03-11-2014, 01:57 AM
Mirza Teletovic would beat the shit out of Lebron's unconscious body.

oarabbus
03-11-2014, 02:01 AM
Mirza Teletovic would beat the shit out of Lebron's unconscious body.

http://i.imgur.com/R9UZc2y.jpg
:lol never gets old

Pekovic and David West would rule the NBA.

ABfor3
03-11-2014, 02:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/R9UZc2y.jpg
:lol never gets old

Pekovic and David West would rule the NBA.
I really don't buy the David West tough guy act:confusedshrug:

swagga
03-11-2014, 04:20 AM
I really don't buy the David West tough guy act:confusedshrug:

dude is one of the few guys that can really fight. He did alot of boxing.
i remeber he destroyed some mascot a few years back :lol

Lebron23
03-11-2014, 05:52 AM
If he wants fighting he picked the wrong sports. Basketball is not like hockey where a hockey player can't punch properly because they are wearing these nearly 2 to 3 inches Ice skates, and a protective helmet.

Kermit Washington almost ended the NBA Career of Rudy Tomjanovich in the 1970's.

East_Stone_Ya
03-11-2014, 07:29 AM
i wouldn't want fighting because that might result in bans and injuries. But some allowed hard fouls would be more than welcome.

Lebron23
03-11-2014, 07:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/lq0hRXL.gif

dude almost died from this haymaker

First time i watched this video. If you suck at basketball. Maybe they can try boxing.

Rudy T was also a very good NBA Player. I think he averaged 25 ppg.

Marlo_Stanfield
03-11-2014, 09:08 AM
yeah lets make fighting legal in a league where the size difference is as much as a foot or more and some dudes weight 100 pounds more than others:roll: :roll:
i bet Gortat only wants to fight Beal and Wall for chucking:roll:

aj1987
03-11-2014, 09:21 AM
dude is one of the few guys that can really fight. He did alot of boxing.
i remeber he destroyed some mascot a few years back :lol
There are a ton of guys in the NBA who do MMA and Boxing in the offseason.

:oldlol: @ The retards who want fighting in the NBA. Go watch boxing or MMA if you want that. No one wants to see a star player sidelined for a couple of weeks because an scrub decides to punch him.

swagga
03-11-2014, 09:34 AM
There are a ton of guys in the NBA who do MMA and Boxing in the offseason.

:oldlol: @ The retards who want fighting in the NBA. Go watch boxing or MMA if you want that. No one wants to see a star player sidelined for a couple of weeks because an scrub decides to punch him.

completely agree

Furthermore I think nobody wants to see overphysical games that would come from referees bored of whistling for every goon move. Basketball is a game of skill.

On the otherhand a rule that would make the game much more interesting would be to alter the blocking rule to the fiba style. It would take down scoring but it would improve the quality of the game, no more harden/durant/kevin martin/etc attacking the rim for free throws. :facepalm I simply find this is not in the spirit of the game.
It would also minimize flopping opportunites and the dangerous charge takers that slid under in-air players.

aj1987
03-11-2014, 09:41 AM
completely agree

Furthermore I think nobody wants to see overphysical games that would come from referees bored of whistling for every goon move. Basketball is a game of skill.

On the otherhand a rule that would make the game much more interesting would be to alter the blocking rule to the fiba style. It would take down scoring but it would improve the quality of the game, no more harden/durant/kevin martin/etc attacking the rim for free throws. :facepalm I simply find this is not in the spirit of the game.
It would also minimize flopping opportunites and the dangerous charge takers that slid under in-air players.
If it was me, I'd suspend players for the first flop and +1 game suspension for each subsequent flop. If a player flops for the 5th time, that would be a 5 game suspension.

wang4three
03-11-2014, 10:14 AM
I rather see them get rid of handchecking and charging fouls.

Vertical-24
03-11-2014, 10:42 AM
I don't think institutionalized fighting has any place in the NBA.

What I believe should be changed is the Technical foul problem. Far too many players are getting techs for silly reasons. You can't talk a little trash (which is a genuinely natural part of competitive sports, particularly bball), anything that isn't a touch-foul is a flagrant (you get the drift), and perimeter players have no worry in the world regarding getting to the basket because big guys are scared to lay a finger on them.

The physicality of the sport is lost...I would never condone intentionally harming another player...that's not basketball. But bodying other players up, good-hardnosed defense (light hand-checking isn't gonna hurt the game) and protecting the hole is all in the spirit of competition.

Techs, penalty for non-destructive physical play and lack of "tear the enemies heart out" mentality amongst many players are the only things i'd truly change about today's game. And I understand that you can't change a players mentality lol But I would definitely look into altering the first two.

Make it happen, Silver.

kentatm
03-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Gortat has dat street hunger!

http://img.izismile.com/img/img2/20090916/giant_in_small_car_04.jpg

MavsSuperFan
03-11-2014, 12:56 PM
probably wants to fight blake

beastmode
03-12-2014, 05:24 AM
probably wants to fight blake

http://www.trbimg.com/img-51021148/turbine/lat-clippers-suns-wre0007950145-20130124/1293/960x1293

swagga
03-12-2014, 09:33 AM
I rather see them get rid of handchecking and charging fouls.

you want even less defense? Charging should certainly stay because it permits true positional defense, not monkeying around for blocks. The ideea that the "dwight howard to out of bounds" block is good defense is absolutely childish. Look at noah for some EXCEPTIONAL defense. Look at duncan for how to properly block a shot, you block towards a teammate to get the possession.

They should cut down all the shit fouls like the
- rip through move
- forced up and under through the defender cylinder move
- jumping into the defender in mid-air
Those are illegal anyways from the rules standpoint. Those 3 are responsible for like 90% of the food stamp fouls guys like durant, harden or kev martin thrive on.

If it was me, I'd suspend players for the first flop and +1 game suspension for each subsequent flop. If a player flops for the 5th time, that would be a 5 game suspension.
god bless america if that happens bruh! But alot of niggs in this league are totally dependent on food stamps.

ILLsmak
03-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Depends on how heated it got because a lot of those guys you couldn't break up very well once they got into it.

-Smak

WallIn
03-12-2014, 11:33 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view8/4902741/marcin-gortat-rips-towel-o.gif

Ill Will
03-12-2014, 03:46 PM
not that i'd enjoy fights every game. however i do enjoy a dirty shot every now and then if it's coming from someone on a team i'm supporting, like when boogie punched patrick beverly