PDA

View Full Version : if they raise the minimum age again. i'm investing in euro league

kennethgriffin
03-11-2014, 03:05 PM
if you were a top prospect and someone said "go waste 2 years of your life in college" or go make 10-15 mill in europe.

what would you do?

its amazing anyone plays college ball.. especially a top brand like wiggins. he didnt have to go play college ball. his name was already top notch and guaranteed a top 3 draft pick whether or not he went to college or over seas

longest ongoing joke of all time "student athletes" is just another word for slavery

south park hit it on the nose.

wiggins actually lost some stock for going to college ... he went from clear cut #1 pick to maybe top 3

coulda got rich before ever stepping foot in the nba

KobesFinger
03-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Wiggins would become EuroLeague GOAT and would have no motivation to come to the lowly NBA

Milbuck
03-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Wiggins would become EuroLeague GOAT and would have no motivation to come to the lowly NBA
The Euroleague is an amateur league. He'd get bored within a week playing with those kids.

kennethgriffin
03-11-2014, 03:12 PM
i honestly dont know what the nba is thinking.. why do they wanna make the ncaa and other pro leagues have access to their talent?

there must be some kind of under the table deal through ea sports licensing of video games. some kind of payment

it makes absolutely no sense for the nba to say "ya i dont want one of the top 3 most popular names in the world for 2 years"

wiggins would mean big $ for the nba. yet theyre trying their best to give it to EA sports games or some college athletics association

somethings wrong here

KobesFinger
03-11-2014, 03:20 PM
i honestly dont know what the nba is thinking.. why do they wanna make the ncaa and other pro leagues have access to their talent?

there must be some kind of under the table deal through ea sports licensing of video games. some kind of payment

it makes absolutely no sense for the nba to say "ya i dont want one of the top 3 most popular names in the world for 2 years"

wiggins would mean big $ for the nba. yet theyre trying their best to give it to EA sports games or some college athletics association

somethings wrong here

Going to University as a student-athlete is about more than improving your draft stock. What if he wanted to try education? Maybe he didn't feel ready for the NBA? Wiggins is like 3 weeks younger than me, I know if I was facing the prospect of $4m/year for 4 years I'd want to spend it on BS like segways and diamond backboards, not to mention gold diggers throwing themselves at you. Lookin at you Paul

MavsSuperFan
03-11-2014, 04:29 PM

somethings wrong here

It makes since for the NBA.

1. People will want to come to the NBA no matter what. It is seen as the best league and has the most $$$

2. More time in other leagues will make the talent evaluation process easier and will make it easier to avoid busts.

3. The players will come in stronger and more skillful.

I agree with you that it is unfair to the athletes and they are being exploited. I wouldn't call it slavery, but its definitely not fair. I understand why the NBA wants it though.

bmd
03-11-2014, 04:37 PM
It makes since for the NBA.

1. People will want to come to the NBA no matter what. It is seen as the best league and has the most $$$

2. More time in other leagues will make the talent evaluation process easier and will make it easier to avoid busts.

3. The players will come in stronger and more skillful.

I agree with you that it is unfair to the athletes and they are being exploited. I wouldn't call it slavery, but its definitely not fair. I understand why the NBA wants it though.It's not unfair to the athletes. It's like any other career. Some jobs require you to be a certain age, hold a certain degree, have X amount of experience, etc.

Think of it in that way.

NBA requires X years of experience before you can join the league.

And players don't have to go to college. There are other options.

DuMa
03-11-2014, 04:38 PM
OP's 5th threat on quitting the NBA. sad

MavsSuperFan
03-11-2014, 04:59 PM
It's not unfair to the athletes. It's like any other career. Some jobs require you to be a certain age, hold a certain degree, have X amount of experience, etc.

Think of it in that way.

Thats fine for the NBA, but the NCAA definitely exploits the players.

They make billions in revenues and the players get almost nothing. Lets be honest most players go get a joke communications degree or a joke sports science degree. They really arent being educated in anything worth while.

Further there is a bunch of stories and data that show that there exists rampant grade inflation and even outright cheating to ensure that players remain eligible. It is a rare exception for a school to put academics above profit.

And before you blame the players completely, understand that their workload to be part of a team, inhibits their ability to go after a more challenging degree, such as a science or business degree.

The NCAA makes money off the players. They dont pay the players a salary. Its inappropriate to describe this as slavery, because the players make the decision to be apart of the that system, but its definitely exploitive.

KyrieTheFuture
03-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Are you implying that 18 year old boys wouldn't want to be in college? They'd rather be the man in college than not receive playing time in Europe

TheReal Kendall
03-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Why don't more players just go overseas like Brandon Jennings did?

Is there a rule in place preventing that now?

I mean if you can make money right out of high school instead of a year in college then what's stopping these kids from going overseas

redboy
03-11-2014, 06:58 PM
by raising the minimum age to join the NBA, players are allowed to improve their games, become more mature, and learn to work within a team environment. one of the reasons that basketball isn't as popular as football in America is that in football, the college game and the NFL are closely linked. yet, when you look at basketball fans, you'll have a ton of "college only" basketball fans and then some "NBA only" fans. in general, college ball and nba ball are two totally different animals. anybody that has played high school or college ball in their life before knows that the college game is a lot more sophisticated in the way that players move off the ball and how complicated some offenses/defenses in the ncaa are. in contrast, watching teams like okc play is like watching a 1v1 competition. raising the age limit can help develop more of a team brand of basketball while further allowing the casual fan to appreciate the college game.

MavsSuperFan
03-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Are you implying that 18 year old boys wouldn't want to be in college? They'd rather be the man in college than not receive playing time in Europe
You dont think elite american players would dominate the Euroleague:biggums: :coleman:

Davis would have made millions dominating the euroleague.

If the nba sets up an age requirement, the euroleague would be a good option for a lot of american kids, until they reach the nba required age.

Also yes most people (including myself) would prefer to make millions or hundreds of thousands of dollars (the equivalent in euros) rather than get a joke education. There is a bunch of evidence that schools inflate the grades of athletes, and encourage them to pursue easy degrees. They want them to have time to practise and memorize playbooks. NCAA division 1 football is the second most profitable league in america. That kind of money is more important than education.

The best example of this is nba players who talk about how they skipped classes all the time.
Here noah talks about how he skipped classes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am2SvvTaak4

During his HOF induction Barkley joked about how after 4 years at auburn he was still a freshman academically.

by raising the minimum age to join the NBA, players are allowed to improve their games, become more mature, and learn to work within a team environment. one of the reasons that basketball isn't as popular as football in America is that in football, the college game and the NFL are closely linked. yet, when you look at basketball fans, you'll have a ton of "college only" basketball fans and then some "NBA only" fans. in general, college ball and nba ball are two totally different animals. anybody that has played high school or college ball in their life before knows that the college game is a lot more sophisticated in the way that players move off the ball and how complicated some offenses/defenses in the ncaa are. in contrast, watching teams like okc play is like watching a 1v1 competition. raising the age limit can help develop more of a team brand of basketball while further allowing the casual fan to appreciate the college game.

Think about how much rose's and oden's life would have sucked if they had to play 4 years in college.

sammichoffate
03-11-2014, 07:09 PM
You dont think elite american players would dominate the Euroleague:biggums: :coleman:

If the nba sets up an age requirement, the euroleague would be a good option for a lot of american kids, until they reach the nba required age.

Think about how much rose's and oden's life would have sucked if they had to play 4 years in college.To be fair, more draft busts tend to come from college rather than high school for some reason. Reason why we've had more high school busts is the expectations on them, they're set higher than #1 picks from colleges at times. Just my two cents :confusedshrug:

MavsSuperFan
03-11-2014, 07:12 PM
To be fair, more draft busts tend to come from college rather than high school for some reason. Reason why we've had more high school busts is the expectations on them, they're set higher than #1 picks from colleges at times. Just my two cents :confusedshrug:

Skewed sample
Thats because the guys that come from high school are clearly better.
You dont think Lebron would be just as good today if he wasted 2-4 years in college?

1 year in college is not enough time to ascertain whether a guy is special or not.

Oden's knees and Beasley's attitude might have been exposed if they played 4 years in college.

Akrazotile
03-11-2014, 07:14 PM

somethings wrong here

NBA already tried accepting HS players and obviously felt that the slope was too slippery when it came to teams drafting them. You get one team taking a Kevin Garnett, and then suddenly the next team feels pressure to grab a "huge upside prospect" rather than wait for guys they've scouted against better competition.

It's just so hard to project how most guys will transition from HS to the pros. And when you get a couple who do it successfully, you start gettin teams reaching and chasing for similar guys and end up getting burned.

People claim its just the league being selfish and trying to protect itself from bad draft picks. They're absolutely right. And the league has every right to do it.

sammichoffate
03-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Skewed sample
Thats because the guys that come from high school are clearly better.
You dont think Lebron would be just as good today if he waste 2-4 years in college?Not really, the competition relative to the players drafted is usually in their favor. That's why people hyped up guys like Kwame and Telfair, they were better than regular basketball players. It's difficult to answer that question because it's LEBRON you're talking about.

sammichoffate
03-11-2014, 07:20 PM
NBA already tried accepting HS players and obviously felt that the slope was too slippery when it came to teams drafting them. You get one team taking a Kevin Garnett, and then suddenly the next team feels pressure to grab a "huge upside prospect" rather than wait for guys they've scouted against better competition.

It's just so hard to project how most guys will transition from HS to the pros. And when you get a couple who do it successfully, you start gettin teams reaching and chasing for similar guys and end up getting burned.

People claim its just the league being selfish and trying to protect itself from bad draft picks. They're absolutely right. And the league has every right to do it.THEY'RE the ones making those decisions though. It's also the PLAYER'S decision to go to college and develop or test their luck in the NBA. KG, Kobe, and Lebron were all mature enough to realize this, dozens of other picks didn't and just went straight for the money instead of asking themselves if they could really sustain a prep-to-pro career.

Sarcastic
03-11-2014, 07:21 PM
It's not unfair to the athletes. It's like any other career. Some jobs require you to be a certain age, hold a certain degree, have X amount of experience, etc.

Think of it in that way.

It's not the same. You can apply to a law firm without a degree in law. The firm doesn't have to hire you, but they cant stop you from applying. The NBA is not even allowing people to apply. Let the kids apply. If all 30 teams pass on him, then he can go back to school or whatever.

bmd
03-11-2014, 07:28 PM
It's not the same. You can apply to a law firm without a degree in law. The firm doesn't have to hire you, but they cant stop you from applying. The NBA is not even allowing people to apply. Let the kids apply. If all 30 teams pass on him, then he can go back to school or whatever.Why didn't they allow 16 year olds to play? Rubio was playing professionally in Europe at 14.

Nobody had a problem with the age being 18 in the NBA...

sammichoffate
03-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Why didn't they allow 16 year olds to play? Rubio was playing professionally in Europe at 14.

Nobody had a problem with the age being 18 in the NBA...Culture issue, too detailed to get into.

Sarcastic
03-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Why didn't they allow 16 year olds to play? Rubio was playing professionally in Europe at 14.

Nobody had a problem with the age being 18 in the NBA...

18 is legal right to work in the US. Under 18 is a minor, and you are allowed to discriminate against them. Over 18 is illegal to discriminate on age.

KyrieTheFuture
03-11-2014, 07:50 PM

Also yes most people (including myself) would prefer to make millions or hundreds of thousands of dollars (the equivalent in euros) rather than get a joke education. There is a bunch of evidence that schools inflate the grades of athletes, and encourage them to pursue easy degrees. They want them to have time to practise and memorize playbooks. NCAA division 1 football is the second most profitable league in america. That kind of money is more important than education.

The best example of this is nba players who talk about how they skipped classes all the time.
Here noah talks about how he skipped classes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am2SvvTaak4

During his HOF induction Barkley joked about how after 4 years at auburn he was still a freshman academically.

Think about how much rose's and oden's life would have sucked if they had to play 4 years in college.

You think I was talking about class? There's a lot more to college than class homie. And yes, Euroleague would not play the majority of these 18 year olds as number one options.

MavsSuperFan
03-11-2014, 10:13 PM
You think I was talking about class? There's a lot more to college than class homie. And yes, Euroleague would not play the majority of these 18 year olds as number one options.
You could get the same in europe where the chicks are a lot more liberal. Also you would actually be getting paid, so you could do more stuff.

Elite American college players would be among the best euroleague players.

Akrazotile
03-11-2014, 10:17 PM
It's not the same. You can apply to a law firm without a degree in law. The firm doesn't have to hire you, but they cant stop you from applying. The NBA is not even allowing people to apply. Let the kids apply. If all 30 teams pass on him, then he can go back to school or whatever.

:roll:

The firm "doesn't have to" hire you without a law degree? :oldlol: No, they're not going to hire you, period. It would literally be a waste of time and paper to apply.

The NBA saves these kids that trouble. NBA Cares. :applause:

wakencdukest
03-12-2014, 12:57 AM

They might not even get 10 minutes a game the first year in Europe.

Sarcastic
03-12-2014, 02:17 AM
:roll:

The firm "doesn't have to" hire you without a law degree? :oldlol: No, they're not going to hire you, period. It would literally be a waste of time and paper to apply.

The NBA saves these kids that trouble. NBA Cares. :applause:

BUT YOU CAN APPLY!!! There are no rules or stipulations that prevent you from being a dumbass, and putting in an application.

If a 14 year old prodigy goes through med school, a hospital is well within their rights to give him a job.

Saving the kids from the trouble is not the NBA's responsibility. If all 30 teams pass on an 18 year old, then that is their prerogative.

iamgine
03-12-2014, 02:51 AM
Thats fine for the NBA, but the NCAA definitely exploits the players.

They make billions in revenues and the players get almost nothing. Lets be honest most players go get a joke communications degree or a joke sports science degree. They really arent being educated in anything worth while.

Further there is a bunch of stories and data that show that there exists rampant grade inflation and even outright cheating to ensure that players remain eligible. It is a rare exception for a school to put academics above profit.

And before you blame the players completely, understand that their workload to be part of a team, inhibits their ability to go after a more challenging degree, such as a science or business degree.

The NCAA makes money off the players. They dont pay the players a salary. Its inappropriate to describe this as slavery, because the players make the decision to be apart of the that system, but its definitely exploitive.
Get almost nothing? How about international recognition? How about experience in high level basketball? How about facility and coach to hone their skills? All for free.

If you think it's exploitative, colleges takes our money so that we can get a job afterwards. They make money off us non athletes too.

Sarcastic
03-12-2014, 02:55 AM
Think about it from the other way. What if the NBA put a cap on age, and said you can't play past age 35. Would you guys be ok with that?

Sarcastic
03-12-2014, 02:58 AM
Get almost nothing? How about international recognition? How about experience in high level basketball? How about facility and coach to hone their skills? All for free.

If you think it's exploitative, colleges takes our money so that we can get a job afterwards. They make money off us non athletes too.

That's completely different. You pay tuition for a service, just like you pay Starface to clean your pool when it's dirty. If you feel they are "exploiting" you by charging too much, you can go to other schools.

iamgine
03-12-2014, 03:05 AM
That's completely different. You pay tuition for a service, just like you pay Starface to clean your pool when it's dirty. If you feel they are "exploiting" you by charging too much, you can go to other schools.
It's no different because the athletes too gets a service like I mentioned above.

I get an education in Finance, the athlete gets education in his sport.

bdreason
03-12-2014, 03:23 AM
I realize you're trolling, but the Euroleague is hardly a place to develop a young American basketball player. Those are professional teams trying to win games, and they don't give a fukc about an American prospect looking to kill time until he enters the NBA draft. Most American prospects, even guys like Wiggins, would be lucky to get 10mpg on a Euroleague squad.

Sarcastic
03-12-2014, 03:35 AM
It's no different because the athletes too gets a service like I mentioned above.

I get an education in Finance, the athlete gets education in his sport.

When you are in school, you are only producing for the school the tuition that you pay. The athletes are producing far more value than the scholarship that they receive for the school.

Take Johnny Manziell for Texas A&M for example. He produced millions of dollars of revenue for the school, and was not allowed to see any of the profits.

Sarcastic
03-12-2014, 03:38 AM
I realize you're trolling, but the Euroleague is hardly a place to develop a young American basketball player. Those are professional teams trying to win games, and they don't give a fukc about an American prospect looking to kill time until he enters the NBA draft. Most American prospects, even guys like Wiggins, would be lucky to get 10mpg on a Euroleague squad.

Depends on the athlete. Lebron James had an $80 million contract from Nike the moment he finished high school. If there was an age restriction the year he finished school, I am pretty sure some crappy team in Europe would have paid him handsomely, and given him as many minutes that he wanted, to be on their team. Deron Williams got a team to do it during the lockout.

iamgine
03-12-2014, 03:56 AM
When you are in school, you are only producing for the school the tuition that you pay. The athletes are producing far more value than the scholarship that they receive for the school.

Take Johnny Manziell for Texas A&M for example. He produced millions of dollars of revenue for the school, and was not allowed to see any of the profits.
Johnny also get more benefit than your average athlete such as being featured more which leads to more recognition. Who's to say which one produce more value?

I pay $20,000 per year for an education that leads me to a job that later pays me $100,000 if that.

Little Johnny is being featured as the star for free, learning heavily how to be a star player, get famous and later on get to the NFL getting paid much more than me.

Sarcastic
03-12-2014, 04:03 AM
Johnny also get more benefit than your average athlete such as being featured more which leads to more recognition. Who's to say which one produce more value?

I pay $20,000 per year for an education that leads me to a job that later pays me $100,000 if that.

Little Johnny is being featured as the star for free, learning heavily how to be a star player, get famous and later on get to the NFL getting paid much more than me.

I don't think you get it. He produced money THE LAST 2 YEARS for Texas A&M. The fame he received is irrelevant to the income produced.

Would you rather be the guy that invented the micro chip, and receive 0 dollars for it, or be a no name and get all the income?

iamgine
03-12-2014, 04:09 AM
I don't think you get it. He produced money THE LAST 2 YEARS for Texas A&M. The fame he received is irrelevant to the income produced.

Would you rather be the guy that invented the micro chip, and receive 0 dollars for it, or be a no name and get all the income?
For the money he produced, he received a rare education on how to be a star and recognition. Only very low percentage of all student athletes have this opportunity.

It's just like how I pay for tuition and receive education. A rare and better education at Harvard would surely cost me more.

eliteballer
03-12-2014, 04:33 AM
You've obviously never been to college if you think it would be "wasting your life." For a lot of people college is the best time of their lives.

Sarcastic
03-12-2014, 04:45 AM
For the money he produced, he received a rare education on how to be a star and recognition. Only very low percentage of all student athletes have this opportunity.

It's just like how I pay for tuition and receive education. A rare and better education at Harvard would surely cost me more.

The value of the education is not equal to the value he produced. For the amount he produced he could have gotten that Harvard education instead of Texas A&M.

Schools aren't in business to teach people how to be stars. Texas A&M used him to make money, and paid for his classes and boarding, which are not equal to the value he produced.

iamgine
03-12-2014, 06:02 AM
The value of the education is not equal to the value he produced. For the amount he produced he could have gotten that Harvard education instead of Texas A&M.

Schools aren't in business to teach people how to be stars. Texas A&M used him to make money, and paid for his classes and boarding, which are not equal to the value he produced.
Incorrect. Texas A&M football team has very limited spot. Perhaps only 1 star QB spot. Only one out of millions can enjoy the education and opportunity little Johnny get at that spot.

Also, who's to say the value of education I receive at Harvard is equal to the value I paid? :confusedshrug:

Y2ktors
03-12-2014, 08:48 AM

Think of it in that way.

Exactly.

Y2ktors
03-12-2014, 08:50 AM
You've obviously never been to college if you think it would be "wasting your life." For a lot of people college is the best time of their lives.

It was the best time of my life. If I had to do it again, I'd have even more fun.

Y2ktors
03-12-2014, 08:57 AM

He knew this was the way that the NCAA operates before signing his scholarship contract.

But on the flip side, that money that he produces also goes towards other scholarships in other sports, which also build up the University....Just as the big time stars before him built up the University.

Y2ktors
03-12-2014, 09:24 AM
I'll never stop believing that 2+ years of good college ball is inferior to prep-2-pro. As Good as lebron and kobe turned out to be, they could have used some college experience.

Sarcastic
03-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Incorrect. Texas A&M football team has very limited spot. Perhaps only 1 star QB spot. Only one out of millions can enjoy the education and opportunity little Johnny get at that spot.

Also, who's to say the value of education I receive at Harvard is equal to the value I paid? :confusedshrug:

What do you think, they just picked his name out of a hat and gave him the QB position? He earned it. They recruited him, and he agreed to play there and signed the contract. What I am saying is the contract is not even nor fair. The value they give him is worth maybe $100k (how much does Texas A&M charge for tuition and room & board?), and the value he produced was in the millions. How do you see that as being fair.

Euroleague
03-12-2014, 05:43 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

Clyde
03-12-2014, 05:51 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

Whats your view on NCAA players using The Euroleague as a stepping stone to the NBA?

Good for the league do to extra exposure?

Bad for the League as it's a viewed as a step down from the D-League?

Euroleague
03-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Whats your view on NCAA players using The Euroleague as a stepping stone to the NBA?

Good for the league do to extra exposure?

Bad for the League as it's a viewed as a step down from the D-League?

You are a racist inbred redneck. Piss off.

Clyde
03-12-2014, 05:55 PM
You are a racist inbred redneck. Piss off.

Why the hostility.

You seem to be the go to guy on Over seas basketball.

Can you please stay civil, I asked an honest question.

moe94
03-12-2014, 05:58 PM
You seem to be the go to guy on Over seas basketball.

:oldlol:

iamgine
03-13-2014, 04:27 AM
What do you think, they just picked his name out of a hat and gave him the QB position? He earned it. They recruited him, and he agreed to play there and signed the contract. What I am saying is the contract is not even nor fair. The value they give him is worth maybe $100k (how much does Texas A&M charge for tuition and room & board?), and the value he produced was in the millions. How do you see that as being fair.
He was good, so they gave him the opportunity to be the star QB at Texas A&M with all its benefits. How much is that worth? Can you even value that? Even if I pay billions of dollars I still won't have that opportunity.

Same thing if lets say I paid $80,000 per year to study at Harvard, how do you value that?