PDA

View Full Version : Which non-playoff team would be the best with Gregg Popovich coaching?

Milbuck
03-12-2014, 01:16 AM
No playoff teams.

The Kings (Cousins, Rudy Gay, Thomas, McLemore, DWill), Pelicans (Davis, Gordon, Tyreke, Ryno), and obviously the Timberwolves (Love, Pekovic, Rubio, Martin, etc.) are all teams that immediately come to mind.

My personal pick is the Pistons. Could you imagine how sick a Monroe-Drummond front court could be with Pop coaching them? I'd imagine he'd also find a way to manage minutes and rotations so that JSmoove isn't ****ing up spacing and offensive chemistry with that duo. And Jennings could be a really special player with a coach that would keep him on a tight leash, help him make smarter decisions, and push him to become an overall more intelligent and complete basketball player.

Which non-playoff team would be the best with Pop as coach? Also, assume all players are healthy.

miles berg
03-12-2014, 01:18 AM
Sac

toooo
03-12-2014, 01:19 AM
Pop would lose his shit with Cousins' immaturity.

sammichoffate
03-12-2014, 01:20 AM
I'll say Sac also, that team is a defensive philosophy away from being a very good playoff team.

Black Mamba's B
03-12-2014, 01:21 AM
Sac, Min or Cleveland

Smook A.
03-12-2014, 01:21 AM
Timberwolves

Smook A.
03-12-2014, 01:22 AM
Pop would lose his shit with Cousins' immaturity.
True. I don't know why some people are saying Sacramento

Milbuck
03-12-2014, 01:23 AM
I forgot to add that in this scenario, all players on all these teams are healthy.

I like the Kings too, but would they be better than, say, the Pelicans? I think Davis, Ryno, Tyreke, and Gordon would be incredible under Pop. Cousins would be a monster, but I think the combination of Davis-Tyreke-Anderson is just a bit better.

JohnFreeman
03-12-2014, 01:24 AM
Kings. Cousins and Duncan actually have some similarities, and Pop could take the defense to another level

sammichoffate
03-12-2014, 01:26 AM
I forgot to add that in this scenario, all players on all these teams are healthy.

I like the Kings too, but would they be better than, say, the Pelicans? I think Davis, Ryno, Tyreke, and Gordon would be incredible under Pop.Lettuce be real, any team would be great under Pop :bowdown: Pelicans have incredible upside also, I just thought they'd be able to get the 8th seed when the year began. They loaded their perimeter ffs :rant

Black Mamba's B
03-12-2014, 01:26 AM
Lakers would make the playoffs with a healthy roster and with coach Pop at the helm to instead of Mr Pringles

sammichoffate
03-12-2014, 01:28 AM
Kings. Cousins and Duncan actually have some similarities, and Pop could take the defense to another levelNot just Boogie, the entire team. That roster would massacre if they had elite defense

Milbuck
03-12-2014, 01:29 AM
Lettuce be real, any team would be great under Pop :bowdown: Pelicans have incredible upside also, I just thought they'd be able to get the 8th seed when the year began. They loaded their perimeter ffs :rant
I totally forgot they had Holiday as well..

Holy shit is that team stacked with young talent. :eek:

TMT
03-12-2014, 01:33 AM
Minnesota was the first one that came to mind for me. I'm sure he would be able to get the most out of this team which appears to have a bunch of good assets. Suns would be another good one, even though they're a playoff team.

sammichoffate
03-12-2014, 01:35 AM
I totally forgot they had Holiday as well..

Holy shit is that team stacked with young talent. :eek:All on the perimeter though, and they all need the ball in their hands(Holiday, Evans, Gordon). Otherwise, they'd be close to Phoenix's record tbh

Milbuck
03-12-2014, 01:42 AM
Minnesota was the first one that came to mind for me. I'm sure he would be able to get the most out of this team which appears to have a bunch of good assets. Suns would be another good one, even though they're a playoff team.
It's been pretty surprising that Adelman hasn't been able to do much with that team. I agree with Pop they'd be pretty dangerous. Rubio by now would probably be a serviceable shooter. Pop would make Love fear for his life if he ever slacked on defense for rebounds.

JohnFreeman
03-12-2014, 01:50 AM
Minnesota sort of reminds me of the 2002 Kings

I<3NBA
03-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Minny.

swagga
03-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Minny.

Minny have a good coach in adelman. They simply lack the personel to win. ZERO rim protection due to peckovic and love not being rim defender. They are good man2man, but team-D NO WAY. Also their wing play is not that great.

It has to be a team filled with talent but bad because of ego mismanagement, imaturity, lazyness, coach erratic rotations and idiocy.

So sacramento, pelicans, new york would be my picks.

davehos
03-12-2014, 01:43 PM

Love would have to play D under Pop. Not sure he's willing to give up rebound position to protect the rim. :confusedshrug:

swagga
03-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Love would have to play D under Pop. Not sure he's willing to give up rebound position to protect the rim. :confusedshrug:

not sure you implying that he can protect the rim or that pop would be dumb enough to use him as rim protector :lol

3peated
03-12-2014, 02:10 PM
lakers.

kshutts1
03-12-2014, 02:15 PM
All players healthy? I say Detroit or Lakers, with Sac also in the mix.

Pelicans would be in the playoffs if healthy, so I'm not counting them. And Wolves have a top 5 coach in the L already, so while Pop is better than Adelman, would it really be that much of an upgrade?

Also, Denver's team would do pretty well under Pop.

pegasus
03-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Knicks

Levity
03-12-2014, 02:26 PM
i think pretty much every team would look great under pop. offensively, he preaches ball movement, which would benefit every team. and he holds all his players accountable on defense

i would love to see what pop could do for the kings though. im a mike malone fan, however. but having one of the GOAT coaches lead that team is always interesting.

the bulls would be an absolute beast under pops, as well. no disrespect to thibs, whos already doing GREAT things with that team.

YouGotServed
03-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Wolves. He'd make that lazy f*ck Love play some defense.

mr.big35
03-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Pistons without Josh Smith as small forward.

PsychoBe
03-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Minnesota sort of reminds me of the 2002 Kings

more like 99'. the 2002 kings was something special. perhaps never to be duplicated.

Artillery
03-12-2014, 03:34 PM
You have to look at teams that have players with good bball IQ and solid passing ability. No egomaniacs, ballstoppers, ballhoggers, or black holes. Those type of players traditionally fail in Pop's sytem. Timberwolves is a decent choice but Rubio's inability to shoot or finish at the rim is going to give Pop headaches.

davehos
03-12-2014, 05:21 PM
not sure you implying that he can protect the rim or that pop would be dumb enough to use him as rim protector :lol

So he's a PF that doesn't play defense? :biggums:

You do know that shot percentage goes up dramatically when you're in or near the paint? These weak ass defense teams get exposed especially in the playoffs.

OKC is not only great because of Durant. Perkins and Ibaka force a lot of jumpers.

It's the same reason San Antonio dropped 40 million over 4 years on Splitter. He's not lighting up the scoreboard but he's a good defender. Going back to power forwards there is no way I start Love over Anthony right now.

Regarding the original question I'd have to say NO or Sacramento.

smoovegittar
03-12-2014, 05:25 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Cleveland.