PDA

View Full Version : Did you Gain Respect for Tim Duncan?

westsideozzie
03-14-2014, 10:54 AM
When he missed that shot in the Finals last year, the usually stoic Duncan pounded the floor with an open hand and almost started to cry. Even in the agony defeat, that was one of the greatest displays of caring and emotion in sports history.

Jlamb47
03-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Tim Duncan is well respected by the game. Man deserves all the respect he can get for what he did to this league.

riseagainst
03-14-2014, 10:57 AM
i've always respected him. He simply choked last year.

SavageMode
03-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Tim Dunchoke.

selrahc
03-14-2014, 11:08 AM
yes, and i also lost respect for lebron because he had to get bailed out

ArbitraryWater
03-14-2014, 11:09 AM
What the hell are you Idiots talking about?? That was nothing else but NORMAL. I would have gained DISRESPECT for him if he would have reacted differently... :facepalm

swagga
03-14-2014, 11:11 AM

I know you are trolling but 19p/12r/1.5a/1stl/1.5 blks @ %50fg with good defense for the series at the age of 37 should mean that this dude is above trolling.

He underrated if anything.

CelticBaller
03-14-2014, 11:14 AM
it was satisfying to see him break his stoic personality

Artillery
03-14-2014, 11:19 AM
I know you are trolling but 19p/12r/1.5a/1stl/1.5 blks @ %50fg with good defense for the series at the age of 37 should mean that this dude is above trolling.

He underrated if anything.

It's more embarrassing that Parker performed so badly that a 37 year old had to carry his team throughout the Finals. Tony shot 6-25 in game 6. That's horrendous and goes against the whole "team-first" philosophy of the Spurs.

Y2ktors
03-14-2014, 11:34 AM
How did he choke?

Clyde
03-14-2014, 11:37 AM
How did he choke?

apparently missing a gimme layup.....it's happens, I wouldn't call that choking.

rhowen4
03-14-2014, 11:59 AM
How did he choke?
Because if Kobe or LeBron missed a lay up like that, it would be called a choke.

T_L_P
03-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Not necessarily.

We all should know he loves the game as much as anyone else ever has. He didn't need to "show us" anything :confusedshrug:

Demitri98
03-14-2014, 12:17 PM
It's sad that Duncan would make that 99/100 times against Battier. He was just so gassed in that 4th quarter and didn't have anything left to give. Age caught up to him.

ProfessorMurder
03-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Wouldn't they still have been down 1 if he made the layup?

Also, he didn't choke.

Green, Manu, Parker choked.

Stringer Bell
03-14-2014, 01:38 PM
The most emotion I've seen from him was that and in the great 5th game of the 2005 finals against Detroit.

He scored in the paint and drew the foul and was all pumped up.

MavsSuperFan
03-14-2014, 01:39 PM
No, my respect for duncan was already at 100%

wally_world
03-14-2014, 02:05 PM
It's not a gimme btw, it's only a gimme for Duncan because of how good he is.

Shabba Ranks
03-14-2014, 02:06 PM
he married a white girl, i will always respect the big fundemental

http://i61.tinypic.com/kch2d5.jpg

HOoopCityJones
03-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Timmy D is one of my most respected players and a true rival to the squad.

Hope he writes a book one day , I wanna know what he thought of the Laker rivalry and how the landscape of the League in general has changed since he came into the NBA etc.

Maybe a documentary would be better.

And yes he did choke on that play.

You Duncan fans have to be fair, had that been Kobe, Durant or Lebron some of you people would lose your minds and try to disprove their standing all time.

T_L_P
03-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Timmy D is one of my most respected players and a true rival to the squad.

Hope he writes a book one day , I wanna know what he thought of the Laker rivalry and how the landscape of the League in general has changed since he came into the NBA etc.

Maybe a documentary would be better.

And yes he did choke on that play.

You Duncan fans have to be fair, had that been Kobe, Durant or Lebron some of you people would lose your minds and try to disprove their standing all time.

The thing that makes Duncan's looming retirement much sadder than Kobe's (for me anyway) is that you will probably never hear from Duncan again. Like, maybe you'll see a clip of him at a Spurs game every year, but that's it. I think Kobe will still be in the limelight even after he's retired (like Shaq or Magic).

Shabba Ranks
03-14-2014, 02:17 PM
The thing that makes Duncan's looming retirement much sadder than Kobe's (for me anyway) is that you will probably never hear from Duncan again. Like, maybe you'll see a clip of him at a Spurs game every year, but that's it. I think Kobe will still be in the limelight even after he's retired (like Shaq or Magic).

he'll just retire his ass back to the virgin islands, if i was him thats exactly what i would do anyway, cant blame him for that

HOoopCityJones
03-14-2014, 02:20 PM

Nah, TLP you already know Duncan is going straight to that Spurs Front Office, book it :cheers:

Foreals though dude , if Bird didn't completely Vanish , I think we'll see Duncan in this League one way or the other.

He could become the new Hakeem in his retirement, teaching all of the young bigs and wings post moves.

But yea, I wouldn't want Timmy D to fall of the face of this earth either.

ArbitraryWater
03-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Wouldn't they still have been down 1 if he made the layup?

Also, he didn't choke.

Green, Manu, Parker choked.

Wut? They were down 2, it would be tied.

Riiiight, so LeBron's a bitch and Timmy didnt choke? :lol Duncan literally gets no blame from you stans..

BoutPractice
03-14-2014, 03:33 PM
I don't see how I could possibly have "gained" respect for Tim Duncan at that point. There was nothing left to gain.

moe94
03-14-2014, 03:47 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5515/9098587544_f06ffbaa30_o.gif

Shit is funny imo.

bballnoob1192
03-14-2014, 03:52 PM
that shot and series was really bittersweet for me. i didn't want lebron to win, but then i hated the spurs even more as a lakers fan.

swagga
03-14-2014, 04:57 PM
I can't really say the spurs choked:

they were really tired, the heat run like mad and their pressure blitzing D is draining physically => it's very hard to keep up with them for 7 games
Shots were not falling due to fatigue imo.

Parker shot poorly but the heat are a team exceptionally equipped to stop point guards like parker... so .. it wasn't unexpected, to me at least.

Danny green shot like nuts the first 5 games, the law of averages just took what it was long due in game 6 and 7.

rmt
03-14-2014, 04:57 PM
It's more embarrassing that Parker performed so badly that a 37 year old had to carry his team throughout the Finals. Tony shot 6-25 in game 6. That's horrendous and goes against the whole "team-first" philosophy of the Spurs.

Also, Parker shot 3/12 (25%FG) for only 10 points in the biggest game (7) of the year. I guess, at least, he wasn't chucking in game 7. He did seem to me like he was going after FMVP in game 6.

that shot and series was really bittersweet for me. i didn't want lebron to win, but then i hated the spurs even more as a lakers fan.

What a conundrum for you Lakers fans. Either Duncan with 5 rings and 4 FMVPs or Lebron with 2 rings, 2 FMVPs and closing FAST.

swagga
03-14-2014, 04:58 PM
he married a white girl, i will always respect the big fundemental
http://i61.tinypic.com/kch2d5.jpg

that did not end nicely for duncan. She was a ho tbh, even vanessa didn't wait till kobe was done.

J Shuttlesworth
03-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Don't worry bro. Duncan's name will come up, especially when people talk about where Kobe is all time. Lots of people mention Duncan > Kobe, or vice versa, which will keep him in the NBA talks

chips93
03-14-2014, 05:26 PM

he was playing through injuries

bballnoob1192
03-14-2014, 07:50 PM
duncan prolly get assistant coaching job instantly after he retires for SAS if he wants or any of SA sports channel radio network whatever. if he does fade away into irrelevancy to casual fans then it will likely be his own decision.

ProfessorMurder
03-15-2014, 02:27 AM
Wut? They were down 2, it would be tied.

Riiiight, so LeBron's a bitch and Timmy didnt choke? :lol Duncan literally gets no blame from you stans..

Green, Manu, Parker, and even Kawhi choked more than Duncan in that game.

Milbuck
03-15-2014, 02:29 AM
Not really. Only because I don't think I could respect him any more than I already do. He's at the top of my list. Not including guys like Bill Russell, Kareem, Mikan, guys who were really influential but way before my time.

T_L_P
03-15-2014, 02:42 AM

Were the Spurs expected to win? Should Tim Duncan, a 37-year-old, have been the best Spur player in that series? Does Tim Duncan ask to be put on anyone's 'Mt. Rushmore'? Does he complain about not winning Defensive Player of the Year Awards? Did anyone give a shit about his greatness during his prime?

T_L_P
03-15-2014, 02:43 AM
he was playing through injuries

Duncan's knees have been bone-on-bone since at least 2011. That's the reason why he missed that layup.

JohnFreeman
03-15-2014, 02:46 AM
My respect can't go any higher. My god that shot was a bunny though

Cold soul
03-15-2014, 02:49 AM
I hate the Spurs but Duncan I respect the hell out of him. So respectful and humble it's impossible to hate the man. He will be deeply missed when he rides off into the sunset. One of the all-time greats and class personified. It will be sad day for the NBA when Duncan retires.

Milbuck
03-15-2014, 02:50 AM
I hate the Spurs but Duncan I respect the hell out of him. So respectful and humble it's impossible to hate the man. He will be deeply missed when he rides off into the sunset. One of the all-time greats and class personified.
Why do you hate the Spurs?

Cold soul
03-15-2014, 02:54 AM
Why do you hate the Spurs?

I'm a die hard Lakers I have to. I still remember the early 2000 battles between the two teams and late 2000's ala 2008.

JohnFreeman
03-15-2014, 02:56 AM
He will be playing too much Dungeons and Dragons

russwest0
03-15-2014, 03:00 AM
Were the Spurs expected to win? Should Tim Duncan, a 37-year-old, have been the best Spur player in that series? Does Tim Duncan ask to be put on anyone's 'Mt. Rushmore'? Does he complain about not winning Defensive Player of the Year Awards? Did anyone give a shit about his greatness during his prime?

Don't do em like that :oldlol:

JohnFreeman
03-15-2014, 03:03 AM
Don't do em like that :oldlol:
Who is the girl in your avy? :roll:

russwest0
03-15-2014, 03:14 AM
I really want to see a picture of you.

:biggums: :biggums:

JohnFreeman
03-15-2014, 03:16 AM
:biggums: :biggums:
Well i can see "you" in your avy now :roll:

Milbuck
03-15-2014, 03:18 AM
I'm a die hard Lakers I have to. I still remember the early 2000 battles between the two teams and late 2000's ala 2008.
Fair enough. Dedicated Laker fans and Heat/Lebron fans are the only people I would expect and understand hating the Spurs.

T_L_P
03-15-2014, 03:21 AM
Fair enough. Dedicated Laker fans and Heat/Lebron fans are the only people I would expect and understand hating the Spurs.

And Phoenix fans

The-Legend-24
03-15-2014, 03:27 AM
apparently missing a gimme layup.....it's happens, I wouldn't call that choking.
You've got to be shitting me. :oldlol:

This dude gets the most passes out of every player ever, unreal. I could only imagine had that been Kobe or Bran, they would be crucified to no end.

JohnFreeman
03-15-2014, 03:27 AM

This dude gets the most passes out of every player ever, unreal. I could only imagine had that been Kobe or Bran, they would be crucified to no end.
Yeah this is true, Duncan choked that shot.

T_L_P
03-15-2014, 03:31 AM

From an earlier post:

And don't act like people hold Kobe's three airballs over his head anymore.

JohnFreeman
03-15-2014, 03:32 AM
From an earlier post:

And don't act like people hold Kobe's three airballs over his head anymore.
That's all great and everything, it doesn't take away the bunny he missed over Battier

T_L_P
03-15-2014, 03:36 AM
That's all great and everything, it doesn't take away the bunny he missed over Battier

Without Duncan's production in game 7 his team would not have been in a position go tie the game with under two minutes to go. Parker, Green and Manu choked far worse than him. :confusedshrug:

JohnFreeman
03-15-2014, 03:37 AM
Without Duncan's production in game 7 his team would not have been in a position go tie the game with under two minutes to go. Parker, Green and Manu choked far worse than him. :confusedshrug:
Yeah I agree, he still choked the shot though.

T_L_P
03-15-2014, 03:39 AM
Yeah I agree, he still choked the shot though.

No doubt, but for me choking is more about an entire game or an entire series.

Milbuck
03-15-2014, 03:41 AM
If Timmy, with 4 rings waiting for him at home, was that devastated, I couldn't even imagine what it would've been like for someone like Steve Nash or Karl Malone to miss that layup..

Cold soul
03-15-2014, 03:43 AM

I still think Lakers/Spurs NBA rivalry was the biggest and greatest during the 2000's era.

JohnFreeman
03-15-2014, 03:47 AM
No doubt, but for me choking is more about an entire game or an entire series.
Yeah, maybe me saying choked is wrong. Harsh word.

Cold soul
03-15-2014, 03:47 AM

I 1000% agree with this and have said this several times. But since it's Duncan people seem to forgotten or not cared. I think some of it has to do to with Duncan being laid back guy and impossible to hate on.

Milbuck
03-15-2014, 03:53 AM
And Phoenix fans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2LRDO4jiBo

God damn I love Pop.

Milbuck
03-15-2014, 03:54 AM
I still think Lakers/Spurs NBA rivalry was the biggest and greatest during the 2000's era.
No doubt. Wonder what it would've been like if Shaq was a bit younger..the Kobe-Shaq Lakers in the mid-late 2000s would've made things very interesting with the Spurs.

T_L_P
03-15-2014, 03:58 AM
I 1000% agree with this and have said this several times. But since it's Duncan people seem to forgotten or not cared. I think some of it has to do to with Duncan being laid back guy and impossible to hate on.

Who uses Kobe's three airballs against him anymore? Nobody. You know why? Because he was 18 years old, and nowhere near his prime. The same applies to Duncan. Last year should have been the time where Timmy plays David Robinson's role on the '03 Spurs. He should not have been the best Spur in that series, but he clearly was, and he was the only consistent player on that team during the last two games (along with Leonard).

And yes, being humble should play a part in all of this. He doesn't crave the spotlight or call himself the greatest (like LeBron does or like Kobe tries to be). It's not like anyone cared about how great he was in his prime. Why should be crucified for missing one shot when he's at the tail end of his career.

Also, what other times has Duncan gotten a pass? Maybe the Memphis series, but that's it.

JohnFreeman
03-15-2014, 03:59 AM
Phoenix v Spurs was bigger then Lakers Spurs imo

GoRapz
03-15-2014, 04:06 AM
Timmy D always had my respect but that respect officially sky rocketed when I found out about his new girlfriend

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/IFWT_Duncan-Vanessa.jpg

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Tim Gawdcun

JohnFreeman
03-15-2014, 04:10 AM
Timmy D always had my respect but that respect officially sky rocketed when I found out about his new girlfriend

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/IFWT_Duncan-Vanessa.jpg

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Tim Gawdcun
I bet she dresses up as a Queen or something, o fulfill Duncan's nerdy fetishes

The-Legend-24
03-15-2014, 04:22 AM
Who uses Kobe's three airballs against him anymore? Nobody. You know why? Because he was 18 years old, and nowhere near his prime. The same applies to Duncan. Last year should have been the time where Timmy plays David Robinson's role on the '03 Spurs. He should not have been the best Spur in that series, but he clearly was, and he was the only consistent player on that team during the last two games (along with Leonard).

And yes, being humble should play a part in all of this. He doesn't crave the spotlight or call himself the greatest (like LeBron does or like Kobe tries to be). It's not like anyone cared about how great he was in his prime. Why should be crucified for missing one shot when he's at the tail end of his career.

Also, what other times has Duncan gotten a pass? Maybe the Memphis series, but that's it.
Where have u been? People reach for anything to bring him down, people online and peeps I know irl that dislike him still bring it up. Nikkas even use that rape trial to bring him down as a player. :oldlol:

T_L_P
03-15-2014, 04:32 AM
Where have u been? People reach for anything to bring him down, people online and peeps I know irl that dislike him still bring it up. Nikkas even use that rape trial to bring him down as a player. :oldlol:

The rape was in his prime, therefore it can be used.

Do you even know the rules bro?

JohnFreeman
03-15-2014, 04:38 AM
Well he did rape someone..

rmt
03-15-2014, 04:45 AM

The Memphis series was all on Pop for leaving Splitter on the bench until game 4. I don't blame Duncan for having to cover Bonner and Blair vs M. Gasol and Zach.

joeyjoejoe
03-15-2014, 04:58 AM

Precisely Parker was supposed to be in his prime and the best player on the team with timmy only a shadow of him former self, remember parker saying that he promised tim another ring before choking to death, little premature buddy

JellyBean
03-15-2014, 05:43 AM
My respect for Duncan has grown over the years. I still do not view him as the greatest power forward, that is Karl Malone, but I do view Duncan as one of the all-time NBA greats with a monster game. I also grew to respect Duncan not for his on the court action but his off the court stuff; the dude does not want any media attention! He refuses marketing deals. He does not want any huge contract extension other than what he is owed. The dude is just pretty humble and I respect that.