PDA

View Full Version : Why did Utah let Al Jefferson go?

Aidz
03-14-2014, 11:07 PM
This guy is playing like a prime Tim Duncan.
He's a legitimate first option in the post.
Did Utah think Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors were their future?
They look like scrubs whenever I see them.
And it's not like Jefferson is that old - turned 29 in January.

navy
03-14-2014, 11:12 PM
Tanking

aboss4real24
03-14-2014, 11:13 PM
they rebuilding

sammichoffate
03-14-2014, 11:14 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5547/10871832914_ceb0435b52_o.jpgShould answer your question sufficiently m8 :cheers:

CelticBaller
03-14-2014, 11:14 PM
like a wise jazz fan said:

they were walking on a treadmill with big al

absalom
03-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Because of Kanter and Favors, front office thought those two would break out.

Collie
03-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Al wasn't THIS Al with Utah.

Xiao Yao You
03-14-2014, 11:37 PM
He's a legitimate first option in the post.
Did Utah think Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors were their future?
They look like scrubs whenever I see them.
And it's not like Jefferson is that old - turned 29 in January.

He's a first option if you like the rest of your team standing around while he goes to work. Comparing him to TD is ridiculous! Kanter is comparable to him now and improving daily and a lot cheaper and younger.

The better question is why did they let Millsap, Carroll and Mo go. They are a playoff team with them.

absalom
03-15-2014, 12:10 AM
Kanter is about to get his next contract so he will get paid, maybe his next contract is similar to Favors. With regards to Favors I thought he would break out after his performance against San Antonio but he and Kanter are still young so they will improve.

Real Men Wear Green
03-15-2014, 12:14 AM
Al wasn't THIS Al with Utah.
He wasn't featured like this in Utah. He's getting almost 3 more shots per game and isn't in a musical chairs big man rotation with the team and fans clamoring to see the young talents he's playing ahead of. There is nothing he's doing now that he couldn't have done, Utah just wasn't making him the featured guy.

Note that I'm not calling him a superstar or saying he would have taken Utah on a deep playoff run or whatever. Part of why he's doing what he's doing for Charlotte is that there aren't many options. But he does have All-Star talent.

Quizno
03-15-2014, 12:18 AM
they wanna see their younger players play. lmao @ that clown saying kanter is comparable to al jeff. kanter's a clown compared to al jeff.

2LeTTeRS
03-15-2014, 01:42 AM
He's a first option if you like the rest of your team standing around while he goes to work. Comparing him to TD is ridiculous! Kanter is comparable to him now and improving daily and a lot cheaper and younger.

If Kanter were comparable to Big Al, Richard Jefferson and Marvin Williams wouldn't be starting over him.

ProfessorMurder
03-15-2014, 02:22 AM
:roll: Kanter is f*cking garbage.

Artillery
03-15-2014, 03:53 AM

Huh? If Jefferson was playing like prime Duncan, he'd be the best defensive player in the NBA. I'm not sure I'd even take current Jefferson over 2014 Duncan. Comparing him to prime TD is stupid.

Milbuck
03-15-2014, 03:55 AM
Huh? If Jefferson was playing like prime Duncan, he'd be the best defensive player in the NBA. I'm not sure I'd even take current Jefferson over 2014 Duncan.
I was gonna say this as well. I don't watch a lot of the Bobcats and didn't watch the Jazz much last year...but isn't Big Al total ass on defense?

russwest0
03-15-2014, 04:08 AM
I was gonna say this as well. I don't watch a lot of the Bobcats and didn't watch the Jazz much last year...but isn't Big Al total ass on defense?

He was but now he's an average or even above average defender. Has been getting a lot of praise from the coaching staff in Charlotte about his defense.

It's just hard to shake the stigma once you get labeled as a bad defender.

Myth
03-15-2014, 04:09 AM

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/images/smilies/jawdrop.gif

absalom
03-15-2014, 04:10 AM
Yes, he is negative on defense, does not offer any resistance whenever players drive to the basket. But Big Al tries hard you could see the effort. And props to Steve Clifford aka the balding man from the lakers bench last year for installing a system to hide his weakness.

Xiao Yao You
03-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Utah just wasn't making him the featured guy.

Note that I'm not calling him a superstar or saying he would have taken Utah on a deep playoff run or whatever. Part of why he's doing what he's doing for Charlotte is that there aren't many options. But he does have All-Star talent.

He was the featured guy in Utah unfortunately. Al ball sucked big time! He's in the east. That has more to do with it than anything.

If Kanter were comparable to Big Al, Richard Jefferson and Marvin Williams wouldn't be starting over him.

RJ is a big? I would have loved Big Al coming off the bench behind Favors too but that wasn't going to happen because he made 15 million a year. Marvin Willims and Favors have complemented each other better just as Favors and Millsap did.

R.I.P.
03-15-2014, 08:29 AM
like a wise jazz fan said:

they were walking on a treadmill with big al

So they decided to walk in quicksand instead?

Clear case of buying the "golden" rule of Title or Tank.

They could have re-signed Millsap/Jefferson. EASILY traded two future 1sts, Kanter and Favours for Rondo and Bostons 1st round pick. Then picked Olynyk, Giannis and Plumlee.

Come back with

Rondo/Burks
Hayward/Giannis
Williams/Jefferson
Millsap/Olynyk
Jefferson/Plumlee/Gobert

Looks like a 50 win team to me for the next 4-5 years, unless Rondo bails. If Utah doesn

Derka
03-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Prime TD is a stretch since Al doesn't exactly light it up on D, but Al wasn't the featured guy in Utah so he didn't put in nearly as much of a workload there as he's being asked to in Charlotte. Utah had a big-guy rotation thing going on there before he left.

Even when he was a Celtic, Al displayed some pretty sterling, vintage-style post moves...the kind of stuff that forced us to listen to Tommy gush night after night about. Good dude to have around the block on offense.

BlazerRed
03-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Yeah, Al is playing like PRIME ****ING TIM DUNCAN :facepalm

MichaelCorleone
03-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Is he good? Can Kobe play with him?

Xiao Yao You
03-15-2014, 09:37 AM
So they decided to walk in quicksand instead?

Clear case of buying the "golden" rule of Title or Tank.

They could have re-signed Millsap/Jefferson.

Jefferson had to go! Millsap, Demarre and possibly Mo should have been back.

EASILY traded two future 1sts, Kanter and Favours for Rondo and Bostons 1st round pick. Then picked Olynyk, Giannis and Plumlee.

Easily? Would Ainge do this? Rondo is a headcase. Not the kind of guy the Jazz have historically wanted to deal with.

Come back with

Rondo/Burks
Hayward/Giannis
Williams/Jefferson
Millsap/Olynyk
Jefferson/Plumlee/Gobert

The problem is you still have 4 guys standing around while Jefferson does heis thing and 4 guys trying to make up for his horrible d at the other.

[quote]Looks like a 50 win team to me for the next 4-5 years, unless Rondo bails. If Utah doesn

Purch
03-15-2014, 09:44 AM
Now that Sloan and Jefferson are gone, xiao's struggling to find a scapegoat for our problems this season. :oldlol:

Now he using this weird mix between optimism and delusion. It's quite fascinating.

Also, on a side note, I find it curious that you havent taken a shot at Al ,leading the bobcats to a sub .500 record in the east. Could it be that you're hesitant too, because your boy Millsap, is leading his team to an even worse record, in the same conference, and having a worse season? Is it messing up your image of Millsap as the messiah?

Xiao Yao You
03-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Now that Sloan and Jefferson are gone, xiao's struggling to find a scapegoat for our problems this season. :oldlol:

What problems? Winning too much? :confusedshrug:

Now he using this weird mix between optimism and delusion. It's quite fascinating.

Also, on a side note, I find it curious that you havent taken a shot at Al ,leading the bobcats to a sub .500 record in the east. Could it be that you're hesitant too, because your boy Millsap, is leading his team to an even worse record, in the same conference, and having a worse season? Is it messing up your image of Millsap as the messiah?

What delusion am I having? I could care less what Al is doing just glad he's doing it elsewhere. Who said Millsap was a messiah? He's the type of guy every team in the league would love to have. Al not so much.

Real Men Wear Green
03-15-2014, 10:27 AM
He was the featured guy in Utah unfortunately. Al ball sucked big time! He's in the east. That has more to do with it than anything.
Current Jazz ball sucks a lot worse than "Al ball." And did you not note the 2.8 shot per game difference between what Jefferson is doing this season and last season?

Edit: I should clarify that while Jefferson was Utah's top scorer there were four guys getting double-digit shots. The Jazz offense was not as big on Jefferson as the Bobcats are. Which is the only thing I was trying to say, not even saying the Bobcats are a better offense than Utah was.

MP.Trey
03-15-2014, 10:32 AM

Also, on a side note, I find it curious that you havent taken a shot at Al ,leading the bobcats to a suolb .500 record in the east. Could it be that you're hesitant too, because your boy Millsap, is leading his team to an even worse record, in the same conference, and having a worse season? Is it messing up your image of Millsap as the messiah?
Thank you for showing me there's still sensible Jazz fans around. This Xiao guy is ridiculous with the passive-aggressive Al Jeff hate. :oldlol:

Xiao Yao You
03-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Current Jazz ball sucks a lot worse than "Al ball." And did you not note the 2.8 shot per game difference between what Jefferson is doing this season and last season?

Their offense revolved around Al rather the Bobcats offense is even more Al'ed. The Jazz may have a worse record this year but they're a lot more interesting to watch with actually ball movement again and some pick and roll defense.

They are worse because they have no starting caliber pg and two 3rd pgs. Despite that take away their horrible start and they are similar to the past couple years just not as deep and when healthy this year they've been very competitive.

Marvin and Jefferson are bench players at best. The Jazz were one of the deepest teams in the league the past couple years. Put Millsap in the line-up instead of Marvin. Demarre who they always played better with and a veteran pg or combo guard like Mo and the Jazz are a totally different team than the one doing their best to tank.

Xiao Yao You
03-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Thank you for showing me there's still sensible Jazz fans around. This Xiao guy is ridiculous with the passive-aggressive Al Jeff hate. :oldlol:

The sensible Jazz fan is president of Al's fan club. He's been touting his greatness since they got him.

Why is it I'm supposed to love Al? This is the guy that called the Spurs the next World Champions after game 3 of their evental sweep of the Jazz. :no:

Purch
03-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Lmao, If I'm the the president of the Al fan club, then you must be the founder, co-founder, president and CEO of the "Millsap is God" club.:oldlol:

Xiao Yao You
03-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Lmao, If I'm the the president of the Al fan club, then you must be the founder, co-founder, president and CEO of the "Millsap is God" club.:oldlol:

Millsap is a God? He's a hell of a player yes. Plenty of people that would agree.

El Kabong
03-16-2014, 02:53 AM
Come on now, don't all act like you'd be praising the Jazz if they re-signed Jefferson. You'd all be calling them crazy for giving him a huge deal when they have Favors and Kanter sitting there.

Now, I like Al, and I'm glad he's doing well in Charlotte (because I like Charlotte too), but he spent 3 years in Utah and they were barely an #8 seed at best. It was time to move on and rebuild with the young talent they had.

Darius
03-16-2014, 03:19 AM
So theyll be able to pay Kanter, a player 60% as good, the same amount of money :oldlol:

Embers
03-16-2014, 06:06 AM
Jazz fans are desperate to defend there decision to "tank". I use that term pretty loosely considering they ditched Carroll to play ****ing Richard Jefferson and Marvin Williams got ample time ahead of Kanter who in all reality is a pretty meh player (Id take Olynk ahead of him for example)

Fact is the Jazz are undertaking the worst and dumbest rebuild in recent history. When they get pick 6 in this years draft and Kanter demands 12 mill+ next year ill laugh hard.

Xiao Yao You
03-16-2014, 07:34 AM
So theyll be able to pay Kanter, a player 60% as good, the same amount of money :oldlol:

Kanter will be better if he's not already but he looks likely to be traded at the moment.

Jazz fans are desperate to defend there decision to "tank".

I don't defend. I think tanking is a joke. Letting Jefferson go was a no brainer though.

I use that term pretty loosely considering they ditched Carroll to play ****ing Richard Jefferson and Marvin Williams got ample time ahead of Kanter who in all reality is a pretty meh player (Id take Olynk ahead of him for example)

Who's meh? Marvin or Kanter?

Fact is the Jazz are undertaking the worst and dumbest rebuild in recent history. When they get pick 6 in this years draft and Kanter demands 12 mill+ next year ill laugh hard.

They are tied for the 4th worst record now. They will also have GS pick. What is dumb about letting your young rotation players take on a bigger role to evaluate them? Unless Kanter and Favors prove they can play together one of them will be gone within a year.